• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon 2 |OT2| From Smallfry to FlyFish in 5 Easy Steps!

Geg

No nerf for Tri-Slosher is fine, Ink Armor is the thing that actually needs a nerf.

A lot of the new changes are just bizarre. Run speed increase for the Sploosh-o-matic and Heavy Splatling but not the Splash-o-matic and Mini Splatling? Random range increase on the Splat Dualies but no buffs at all for the Dualie Squelchers? No fixes to roller hitboxes other than a slight increase to the Dynamo's horizontal flick?

Branduil

DH1gsKLV0AAGphF.jpg:large

Well that had to be the tightest win I've had. 2nd wave was a foggy night, we somehow got the last few eggs while a Stinger waved at us and drizzle rained down. The last wave was high tide, and was probably the most chaotic scene at the egg basket I've ever seen that didn't result in a team wipe, as we got surrounded by Steel Eels, Steelheads, and Scrappers even as we blew through all our specials. I had the last egg but was down, someone rezzed me and I somehow got through the sea of green ink around the basket and dropped it in with 2 seconds left. There was a copious amount of "Nice!" and rapid squiddings after it ended of course.

Takat

I'm having a weird issue that happened again last night, where suddenly I don't have any 2d graphic inputs like the sight, where my teammates are (I do see circles, but not the arrows), and my ink seems to be halved (though I think some ink affects are 2d).

I didn't see it fixed, it happened 3-4 times so far.

tsundoku

i think they "fixed" the random misfire where the normal slosher can go like 59.4 damage instead of 60 and didn't fix the fact that the side splashes from the trislosher do full damage
yeesh
i'm going to just use the trislosher for a week and everyone else in here should commit to using it mostly for a week so it gets fixed
it seems like the only way to send a concrete message to the splatoon devs is to abuse something

Waking up to some great news here!

Regarding the Tri-Slosher, why nerf it when you can make everything else better and able to compete with it?

DrArchon

Thank God we're finally getting a new stage that isn't restricted to Splatfest (and it remains to be seen if it'll come back for future Splatfests).

Bubble Wand looks interesting, but it'll definitely take coordination, which means it'll be 100% useless for Turf War.

Balances seem minimal so far. I guess it's good that they aren't jumping off the deep end and changing things wildly, but I wouldn't mind seeing a minor nerf or two to the Tri-Slosher or just Ink Armor in general.

Doorman

Thank you for all your work in this, Toad. It really helps to have a reference for the notes directly in the thread like this.

Kind of ironic that of all the kits I've been most using in the game (Carbon, Clash, Heavy, Sploosh, .96 gal, and Flinga) four of them received buffs. Nothing for the Flingza is kind of saddening though, and frankly I'm not sure Sploosh even needed a speed buff but I guess they wanted it to better compete against the usual suspects? An already-strong kit gets stronger there.

Otherwise there are some good general changes too. Fixing the Port map nonsense is good, likewise with fixing the ranked DC-teammate protection. Netcode changes sound nice in theory but I'll wait to buy into that until I see it for myself.

Regiruler

Finally got all of the Hero Replicas unlocked. Between them and all of the scrolls and upgrades, I should have a full 1000% completion for single player. Meaning I never have to touch that mode ever again.

Ugh. I can't believe I did that. I already feel like it was a terrible waste of time. There's no way I'll ever use half of these weapons in multiplayer. The only one that's not outclassed by something else is the Octobrush.
1. why all in one go? That's awful.
2. I don't see a hero goo tuber. Nothing is outclassed.
Salmon Run changes are nice. Killing Fly Fish with Splashdown is a start, at least.
Where are the changes listed?

Interesting choices for the rollers. Not gonna complain yet until i give the adjustments a shot. But in my personal opinion its the speed of the flicks that need adjusting. Not their coverage so much.

Interested to try these adjustments.

Also, dualies range buff? Not sure thats necessary? But at least they balanced it with upping its special use points. Be interesting to see in action methinks.

Nightii

Banned
This idea that Ink Armor is fine and the Tri is the problem is so flat out wrong it truly disheartens me.

Ink Armor has Invincibility Frames on top of the armor effect itself, it literally doesn't matter if you get armor broken in many instances because the armor user can kill you before the i-frames end, that is not fine, it is basically a way to guarantee tickrate shenanigans even when the netcode is working perfectly.

All of your complaints about the Tri stem from Ink Armor's existence or the fact you are using a shorter range weapon combined with the netcode.

Please stop, Tri is not toxic, it is not skilless, and you are the ones being toxic when you insult users brains and skill, please knock it off.

Geg

Pretty much. Tri-Slosher as a weapon counters a lot of short- and mid-range shooters, which is fine. The problem (aside from ink armor) is there aren't many people who play weapons that counter it right now, because running around and shooting people in the face is just easier to do now due to a combination of factors, like the poor netcode/tick rate, Rollers overall being much weaker than they were in Splatoon, and Chargers having less of a role due to stage layouts being more open and flank-friendly.

Merc_

Finally, a new Salmon Run stage. They sorely need more maps and it feels like they are going so much slower then they were with Splatoon 1.

backlot

Interesting choices for the rollers. Not gonna complain yet until i give the adjustments a shot. But in my personal opinion its the speed of the flicks that need adjusting. Not their coverage so much.

Interested to try these adjustments.

Also, dualies range buff? Not sure thats necessary? But at least they balanced it with upping its special use points. Be interesting to see in action methinks.

Roller coverage isn't getting changed. It just get to flick a few more times without running out of ink. It's a pretty lazy buff in my opinion and it doesn't address any of the weapon's actual shortcomings.

DrArchon

1. why all in one go? That's awful.
2. I don't see a hero goo tuber. Nothing is outclassed.

Most of the Hero Weapons feel outclassed by something else. Splattershot by the Tentatek, Roller by the Krak-On, Charger by the Firefin as well as the Splatterscope, Blaster by pretty much all of the other blasters, Dualies by the Enperry's, etc. Slosher's in a weird place because the weapon isn't bad but the kit on the Tri is so much better that 9 times out of 10 you're better off with it.

The only ones that aren't are really the Brella, the Heavy Splatling, and the Octobrush, and that's just because they have no variants.

Roller coverage isn't getting changed. It just get to flick a few more times without running out of ink. It's a pretty lazy buff in my opinion and it doesn't address any of the weapon's actual shortcomings.

I hear what youre saying. But to me, being able to send out more ink without running out is a way for more coverage in my opinion. I spend a lot of time flicking.

OryoN

Waking up to some great news here!

Regarding the Tri-Slosher, why nerf it when you can make everything else better and able to compete with it?

Let's not correct the "single" wrong, let's wrong everything else, then everything will be right. ;p

Seriously, that would throw off the core balance of the entire game, immensely.

[I was hoping for a nerf, but it's sadly missing from the translated notes :( ]

backlot

Let's not correct the "single" wrong, let's wrong everything else, then everything will be right. ;p

The game is already horribly imbalanced. I don't know if you played the first game, but most of the returning weapons got nerfed to the point that they lost a lot of what made them fun in the first place. I don't really want to see any more nerfs like that. It's nice to see them walking back the nerfs on Luna a bit, but there are a lot more weapons that got hit harder and are more deserving of a fix.

Doorman

Nighty's right on this, the nerf Tri-Slosher most needs is the nerf to ink armor, and Nintendo already said that bigger special changes weren't coming until later in September. That they're waiting and planning for this suggests that they have something more than mere number-tweaks in mind, and we've already seen how much a special can change just by looking at the Stingray now vs. how it worked in early previews. I suspect both armor and inkjet are going to undergo some changes in a few weeks.

I wouldn't mind its range being toned back just slightly though.

Geg

The game is already horribly imbalanced. I don't know if you played the first game, but most of the returning weapons got nerfed to the point that they lost a lot of what made them fun in the first place. I don't really want to see any more nerfs like that. It's nice to see them walking back the nerfs on Luna a bit, but there are a lot more weapons that got hit harder and are more deserving of a fix.

Yep, basically everything that isn't a shooter (excluding the Dual Squelcher for whatever reason), a bucket, or a brush got hit with hard nerfs in the transition to Splatoon 2, with a few other exceptions that were left untouched like the Squiffer or Rapid Blaster. And even then some shooters that had been buffed in the first game, like the Splash-o-matic, Splattershot Pro, and H-3 Nozzlenose had their buffs reverted.

There were clear favorites in Splatoon 1's meta, but the lack of viability of lots of weapons in Splatoon 2 now is why most of the higher ranks are just mid-range shooters (specifically the Tentatek or shooters with ink armor like the Jr. and N-zap) and Tri-Sloshers.

J@hranimo

Banned
I think we'll see some more changes come the Sept update. Everything wasn't going to be touched upon within a month since release.

Although the ink consumption buff is telling about how they view the rollers currently. Curious if they will make some legit changes to the weapons after another ~month of so of underperforming overall compared to other weapons via League Battle.

Branduil

So we're doing a Mothership round in Wave 3, we're struggling to get enough eggs to get the quota. In the last few seconds me and another guy go out of our way to chase down eggs and that ends up being the difference as we just barely make quota at the last second. So naturally, we're celebrating when I see one of the squids fire off a Sting Ray he'd been saving the whole time.

Doorman

Yep, basically everything that isn't a shooter (excluding the Dual Squelcher for whatever reason), a bucket, or a brush got hit with hard nerfs in the transition to Splatoon 2, with a few other exceptions that were left untouched like the Squiffer or Rapid Blaster. And even then some shooters that had been buffed in the first game, like the Splash-o-matic, Splattershot Pro, and H-3 Nozzlenose had their buffs reverted.

There were clear favorites in Splatoon 1's meta, but the lack of viability of lots of weapons in Splatoon 2 now is why most of the higher ranks are just mid-range shooters (specifically the Tentatek or shooters with ink armor like the Jr. and N-zap) and Tri-Sloshers.
Actually this makes me realize something, that for all its faults and there being a definite set of "meta" weapons, Splatoon 1's class at least had a lot of different weapon types present at high levels. You had your Tentatek, yeah, but also several blasters (Luna amd CRB), chargers (E-liter and Kelp Scope), Splatlings (Mini and Custom Hydra), rollers (Carbon and Dynamo), and then other stuff like Octobrush, Slosher Deco, Tri-Slosher, Cherry H-3, and other stuff that wasn't necessarily meta but is still viable.

Not everything in Splatoon 2 is a shooter, but a lot of the popular stuff in the moment that aren't shooters still fall into a similar range class, and on the whole it feels like there are more weapon types with little to no solid representation at the moment.

I think they mentioned the early Sep patch because they what to calm the upcoming inevitable rage from players, since the patch does not touch tri-slosher, inkjet and ink armor at all.

Geg

Not everything in Splatoon 2 is a shooter, but a lot of the popular stuff in the moment that aren't shooters still fall into a similar range class, and on the whole it feels like there are more weapon types with little to no solid representation at the moment.

Yeah, looking through the top 10 weapons in Japan's league battles thing for last week that Toad posted on twitter, the only weapons that wouldn't be classified as short-to-mid range are Rapid Blaster and Firefin Splatterscope.

Yeah, looking through the top 10 weapons in Japan's league battles thing for last week that Toad posted on twitter, the only weapons that wouldn't be classified as short-to-mid range are Rapid Blaster and Firefin Splatterscope.
Were splat dualies and the splattershot pro listed?

Im interested in seeing this list. Was there a link i missed earlier?

Almost done with the story mode. The final levels are so fucking hard. How are kids supposed to beat this?

The final levels can be tricky. And personally i find the 2nd last boss to be harder (more annoying really) than the last boss.

Ive finished the game a couple more times now. Once to get my hero shot unlocked. And once for my hero roller.

Geg

Were splat dualies and the splattershot pro listed?

Im interested in seeing this list. Was there a link i missed earlier?

tonyh24613 posted the link but yeah, the top 10 weapons for last week (with the top 2 by themselves making up over 38% of all weapons in League) are:

01. Tentatek Splattershot
02. Tri-Slosher
03. Rapid Blaster
04. Custom Blaster
05. Splattershot Jr.
06. N-ZAP 85
07. Enperry Splat Dualies
08. Octobrush
09. Firefin Splatterscope
10. Splat Brella

And yeah, like he said 65% of all specials are either Inkjet or Ink Armor.

Toadsili T

Neo Member

I mean, the Top 10 League stats that are being collected by some Japanese players (and which I have been translating) paint a very solid picture as to the current state of the weapon representation right now. Inkjet and Armour are simply the dominant Specials; over 65% of all top 10 weapons in Top 10 League.

14/08/17 to 20/08/17
  • Ttek 24.7%
  • Trislosh 14.0%
  • Rapid 6.1%
  • Custom Blaster 5.9%
  • Jr. 5.1%
  • NZap85 4.7%
  • Enperries 3.9%
  • Octobrush 3.6%
  • Firefin Scope 3.1%
  • Brolly 2.4%

07/08/17 to 13/08/17

• Ttek 25.2%
  • Trislosh 14.7%
  • Custom Blaster 6.0%
  • Rapid 5.8%
  • Jr 4.9%
  • ZAP85 4.3%
  • Enperries 4.1%
  • Octobrush 3.1%
  • Vanilla SS 2.6%
  • Firefin Scope 2.6%

tonyh24613 posted the link but yeah, the top 10 weapons for last week (with the top 2 by themselves making up over 38% of all weapons in League) are:

02. Tri-Slosher
03. Rapid Blaster
04. Custom Blaster
05. Splattershot Jr.
06. N-ZAP 85
08. Octobrush
10. Splat Brella

Thanks!

Azure J

I am super opposed to the notion of "buffing everything is wrong/nerfing things in game further is more in line with reality" that seems to persist in games like this from all angles. The issues people gripe about most right now wouldn't be issues if there were more attractive propositions around to actually shut down the things being bellyached about. You think the Trislosher, Splattershot/Tentatek, Octobrush, [insert whatever else in the chain of succession here] would be an issue if Splatoon 1 chargers, ranged shooter options (96 Gal, endgame Splattershot Pro, Splatlings) Carbon and Dynamo Rollers or Splash Wall existed in this game? Unfortunately, all of these had their teeth removed coming into this title and it isn't reassuring seeing how they're slowly talking up things like ink consumption buffs as being good enough to make up for fundamentals of these handful of weapons (I could list more) being either lacking or outright missing. Buffs to these weapons to get them back to speed or perhaps more aptly, to make them more attractive than using the current collection of short range/high dps with a silly special, would be greatly appreciated. It'd almost feel like another sequel at that point.

That all said, the only thing about Trislosher (or any weapon kit with it) that genuinely is broken currently is Ink Armor. Ink Armor in practice, should really have been the bonus 30ish HP added to an Inkling versus the full state change it enables. The reasoning behind this is that with the game's current netcode specifics, there are times where a person pours out damage but the game will not honor this due to differences in how the underlying mechanics update a player's state in a match. Ink Armor then chunks way more damage than just ~30 damage in an encounter leading to negative outcomes from positive encounters. What's even worse, Ink Armor also grants bonus invulnerability frames after being broken. This is further compounding the previous issue while also presenting its own set of evils in the form of people walking out of situations they were cleanly outplayed in to then still get a trade or outright kill the person who outplayed them.

Here's a demonstration of just how silly Ink Armor is. That's four subsequent Splashdowns.

..or a brush...

Vanilla Inkbrush will never be anything more than struggle brush.

02. Tri-Slosher
03. Rapid Blaster
04. Custom Blaster
05. Splattershot Jr.
06. N-ZAP 85
08. Octobrush
10. Splat Brella

Interesting. And no pro in sight.

Top Bottom