• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon 2 |OT2| From Smallfry to FlyFish in 5 Easy Steps!

DrArchon

I'm TRASH at Moray Towers. It's definitely a stage where only certain weapons should be used.

I feel like every TW match at Moray ends with someone sneaking behind everyone and getting all the way up the enemy spawn. None of the other stages are that bad about backline fuckery.

It sucks because there aren't that many large stages in the game so I can't be picky, but Moray just sucks sometimes.

I feel like every TW match at Moray ends with someone sneaking behind everyone and getting all the way up the enemy spawn. None of the other stages are that bad about backline fuckery.

It sucks because there aren't that many large stages in the game so I can't be picky, but Moray just sucks sometimes.

I love Moray. I AM that asshole in your base.

Mediking

Another reason why loadouts should be allowed to be adjusted in lobby.

The ๖ۜBronx;246127834 said:
Yep. Least favourite map of them all. I love the verticality but wish everything wasn't so narrow.

Won't happen as long as the game is finding you a match based on them.

There are people who constantly change loadouts because certain weapons are best on certain stages.

But I'm not that kinda player. I stick to the gun I'm best with and the clothes I like.

Moray Towers is definitely only good for certain weapons.

The ๖ۜBronx;246128652 said:
Some nice wisdom you've imparted there ;)

That's great - I'm going to leave it as is. My iPhone knows me better than I know myself and autocorrect reflects that deep level of understanding.

Nester

With a little network trickery, a friend of mine and I managed to use LAN mode to connect online together and play Salmon Run when Grizzco was closed. We're going to test having two others join us later on, but it worked!

You get to choose any weapon you like or have it randomize you every wave and you can choose either of the stages to play on, but the rewards are much lower. Once we got up to 400p it gave us a random drink ticket capsule and then reset back to 0p. The points in the Shoal share between 'local' and 'LAN' mode and don't reset daily, just when you hit 400p. It took a little while to get 400p with only two people. :D

Twitch highlight of showing it off to our community. Sorry for hamming it up a little for the show. :)

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/166852998

Also, hosted a Splatoon 2 LAN at 2DCon this weekend and had a blast. Couple of pictures:

IMG_20170811_190258.jpg

Crowded panel room for Swiss Preliminaries!

0L3TAsX.jpg

Mainstage Saturday!

ChrisD

Can't believe they didn't add a new map yet.. it took them a few day to add one in the first game. :/

Yeah I'm starting to get a bit miffed about this. Call it ungrateful, but if we don't get two Maps on the first drop I'm just going to assume that Nintendo don't know what they're doing. There is a massive backlog of stages from 1 that could come back with minimal changes; I'm not asking for the Devs to make multiple new maps. Just give us some more variety in this title, even if it means only bringing back old stages for a while. Especially since some wouldn't need any changes, like Walleye Warehouse which would fit right in with Splatoon 2's maps!

Mediking

Yeah I'm starting to get a bit miffed about this. Call it ungrateful, but if we don't get two Maps on the first drop I'm just going to assume that Nintendo don't know what they're doing. There is a massive backlog of stages from 1 that could come back with minimal changes; I'm not asking for the Devs to make multiple new maps. Just give us some more variety in this title, even if it means only bringing back old stages for a while. Especially since some wouldn't need any changes, like Walleye Warehouse which would fit right in with Splatoon 2's maps!

Hopefully a Nintendo Direct coming soon will answer so many questions...

jorgejjvr

Never done it before. What is League exactly? Just ranked but with IRL teams?
Ranked, but with gaf! That's how I see it.

Doubles, or full on squads.

It's splatoon in ranked, but with a full team that knows what it's doing, that we can chat on the discord app, and even have voice chat if we like.

It's splatoon, with the added benefit of playing together. Makes the game more fun than by myself with randoms

DrArchon

Hey, more power to you. I've won my fair share of matches doing that as well. I just wish basically every match wasn't decided by which team was able to pull that off. I feel like control of the central area is so worthless in determining who wins.

True Fire

I feel like Moray is good if ALL of the players are good. I had one match where I was the only person defending our turf and all of my teammates were screaming "Follow Me" because I wasn't spawn camping with them. My definition of hell.

Ranked, but with gaf! That's how I see it.

Doubles, or full on squads.

It's splatoon in ranked, but with a full team that knows what it's doing, that we can chat on the discord app, and even have voice chat if we like.

It's splatoon, with the added benefit of playing together. Makes the game more fun than by myself with randoms

Might hop on later then.

Does anyone use the pro controller for gyro over the joycons? Been using split joycons from the get go, but I think I might switch for bit to see how it goes.

I haven't played a ton (currently level 10,) but the controls still don't feel right to me. Gyro doesn't feel quite as responsive as I'd like, and even analogue stick controls feel off, like it has a weird acceleration curve or something. It doesn't help that the analogue sticks on the joycons are tiny and the right stick isn't in the most comfortable position. I find myself under utilizing the right stick a lot and I think that part of that has to do with how bad it feels to use on the joycon at higher sensitivities. I haven't used the pro controller since the testfire, but I remember having a bit more control in aiming with it thanks to the larger throw distance offered by taller sticks.

I still have not used the Splat Brella once lol. What do you guys think of it?

I love the damn thing. It's pretty versatile if you know what you're doing and great for overall coverage between the sub and special they give you. I generally ink just as much if not more turf with it than I do with the Aerospray which has a pretty wide spread.

If you can team up with someone else while using it you can be pretty damn near unstoppable.

Trash as an offensive weapon.

You HAFTA be behind an ally or you're doomed.

I've had a ton of success with the Brella as an offensive weapon! It's especially handy if you can manage the sprinkler/shield effectively when going toe-to-toe with someone. Definitely requires a fair bit of strategy but I like that you have both offensive and defensive options.

pringles

Hey, more power to you. I've won my fair share of matches doing that as well. I just wish basically every match wasn't decided by which team was able to pull that off. I feel like control of the central area is so worthless in determining who wins.
Moray is awesome but it certainly seems to be one of the levels that require the most skill, awareness and teamwork. You gotta pay attention to your ramps and walls and try to keep GOOD control, unlike a lot of other maps where you can take the middle and pretty easily lock down the other team into fighting an uphill battle for control.

Finally got my gear to a spot where I like them:

---Main ability first, subs second ---

Hat: Sub Saver, Sub Saver, Ink Recovery, Ink Recovery
Shirt: Sub Saver, Sub Saver, Main Saver, Main Saver
Shoes: Ink Recovery, Ink Recovery, Ink Recovery, Main Saver

I like using splat bombs a lot, IDK.

Kaban

I didn't like Moray Towers too much in Splatoon 1, due to the linearity of the map. The inklines definitely improve it, and add more fuckery to the mix.

ChrisD

Guys to put into perspective how dumb Salmon Run players can be

Eight seconds left on clock
Goldie round
We find it
Basket is near
Have enough time for one egg
OctoBrush grabs it, cool!
Zip along, OctoBrush, we only need one egg for quota
Oh
Oh you want to keep hitting Goldie?
Oh
Guess we lose, then.
Thanks.

Guys to put into perspective how dumb Salmon Run players can be

Eight seconds left on clock
Goldie round
We find it
Basket is near
Have enough time for one egg
OctoBrush grabs it, cool!
Zip along, OctoBrush, we only need one egg for quota
Oh
Oh you want to keep hitting Goldie?
Oh
Guess we lose, then.
Thanks.

IDK, Salmon Run is so horrible that if I make it to the third wave, it's a win regardless of actual outcome.

DrArchon

I didn't like Moray Towers too much in Splatoon 1, due to the linearity of the map. The inklines definitely improve it, and add more fuckery to the mix.

I feel like I should agree to this, but also about half of the time I ever use an inkline someone pops up right at the end and kills me while I'll still in the line, so I don't use them as much as I want to.

They're better additions than the sponges in Port Mackerel though.

Mediking

Lmao

I love the damn thing. It's pretty versatile if you know what you're doing and great for overall coverage between the sub and special they give you. I generally ink just as much if not more turf with it than I do with the Aerospray which has a pretty wide spread.

If you can team up with someone else while using it you can be pretty damn near unstoppable.

I've had a ton of success with the Brella as an offensive weapon! It's especially handy if you can manage the sprinkler/shield effectively when going toe-to-toe with someone. Definitely requires a fair bit of strategy but I like that you have both offensive and defensive options.

I applaud you for being good with it. Lol I'm trash with Brella. Not my style at all.

Trash as an offensive weapon.

You HAFTA be behind an ally or you're doomed.
I don't know, I've faced people on the front lines with it and they did a good job of pushing us back while their allies behind them providing cover.

I do like how it's defensive but with its sub weapon and special, it can become much more offensive. Seems to be good at forcing pressure on the opponent. I'll give it a whirl after some Salmon Runs!

ChrisD

IDK, Salmon Run is so horrible that if I make it to the third wave, it's a win regardless of actual outcome.
It was first wave.

Now I lost a third wave because Joe Schmo over here bombed all of the Maws on the coast instead of pulling them to basket.

Use a bit of brainpower guys. Just a little bit.

Edit: WOOOOOW, I just got D/C'd and, for the first time ever, dropped to Overachiever as it ate 25 points off of my total. Our internet is still up, system is hard wired. Game, what the ever living * do you have against me?

ChrisD

Oh, well, first Overachiever game was better than my past twenty or so Profreshionals. Is this where the actual players are?

Mediking

With a little network trickery, a friend of mine and I managed to use LAN mode to connect online together and play Salmon Run when Grizzco was closed. We're going to test having two others join us later on, but it worked!

You get to choose any weapon you like or have it randomize you every wave and you can choose either of the stages to play on, but the rewards are much lower. Once we got up to 400p it gave us a random drink ticket capsule and then reset back to 0p. The points in the Shoal share between 'local' and 'LAN' mode and don't reset daily, just when you hit 400p. It took a little while to get 400p with only two people. :D

Twitch highlight of showing it off to our community. Sorry for hamming it up a little for the show. :)

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/166852998

Also, hosted a Splatoon 2 LAN at 2DCon this weekend and had a blast. Couple of pictures:

Wow. Good job supporting something you enjoy. Splatoon 2 is awesome. SplatGAF is rising!

I have to say, when you get a good group of randoms in Salmon Run it feels like the Salmonids don't even stand a chance. Won with 80 golden eggs delivered and only 2 of us got splatted the entire time.

ChrisD

I don't want to get back to Profreshional, all of these Overachievers are way smarter. These are the best Randoms I've had in two weeks. :(

Blackie

Been noticing a lot of last 20 second total team super pushes and sneak attacks from enemies recently to flip matches. Some of these guys are evil geniuses. People are getting very sneaky about hiding in obscure ink too. I must become even more inventive to counter...

Mediking

I have to say, when you get a good group of randoms in Salmon Run it feels like the Salmonids don't even stand a chance. Won with 80 golden eggs delivered and only 2 of us got splatted the entire time.

I don't want to get back to Profreshional, all of these Overachievers are way smarter. These are the best Randoms I've had in two weeks. :(

For better and for worse... randoms come and go ;_;

ChrisD

WOW
Come and go, alright! That was the biggest team of dunces I've ever had. They literally had NO idea what a Mothership wave was. They wouldn't defend the basket! I didn't have Stingray, and I was Brush. Alone I had to try and defend basket. We lost six eggs despite having quota. All they had to do was help, or whoever had Stingray, use that.

Then that was followed in the next round by me swimming to basket, dead, with our final egg. The OctoBrush missed my revival while fighting enemies, IGNORED my calls for help despite being beside me for two or three seconds, and then fled the beach on low tide, leaving us to lose. SCREW YOU, dude, I was BY the BASKET with OUR WIN.

I'm done with this for now. People went from smart to total idiots really quick.

WOW
Come and go, alright! That was the biggest team of dunces I've ever had. They literally had NO idea what a Mothership wave was. They wouldn't defend the basket! I didn't have Stingray, and I was Brush. Alone I had to try and defend basket. We lost six eggs despite having quota. All they had to do was help, or whoever had Stingray, use that.

Then that was followed in the next round by me swimming to basket, dead, with our final egg. The OctoBrush missed my revival while fighting enemies, IGNORED my calls for help despite being beside me for two or three seconds, and then fled the beach on low tide, leaving us to lose. SCREW YOU, dude, I was BY the BASKET with OUR WIN.

I'm done with this for now. People went from smart to total idiots really quick.

Having the Brush and Roller seems to be a little tougher for people, and whoever has the Charger never seems to use it well in my random games.

Have the only one automatic weapon seems to be making the difference this time.

Maxinas

Having the Brush and Roller seems to be a little tougher for people, and whoever has the Charger never seems to use it well in my random games.

Have the only one automatic weapon seems to be making the difference this time.

Rollers are fine as long as it isn't the fucking Flingza roller. Can't wait for the next Salmon Run to have a Goo tuber.

Ok before they decide to nerf any weapon, Flyfish nerfed first and foremost. I know I keep saying it, but holy shit they are dumb.

DrArchon

Just had a 74 golden egg session. Don't know how exactly, but we got 30 eggs on a single round which really just pushed our final score over the top.

Thank God for the Turret rounds. Just free eggs if people know what they're doing and the game doesn't throw too many FlyFish at you. Easily the my favorite nighttime round.

On the flip side, nothing makes you feel more impotent than being given an E-Liter for a FireFly Rush round. There's no way you can ever charge it, so you just squirt out little shots ineffectively and hope your teammates don't all die because there's no way in hell you can revive them effectively. Easily the worst I've ever felt playing this game.

umbra

Nothing like having the slowest charging weapon ever and being zerg rushed on the first round.

Though the very next SR I did had one of the most intense finishes to a round I've played yet. I had gone off to kill a Stinger, only to turn around to see my three teammates all down and the middle of the map swarming with enemies. i Managed to revive one person before i went down myself, but that one person got the rest of us back and we got enough eggs just seconds before the round ended.

Top Bottom