• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon 2 |OT2| From Smallfry to FlyFish in 5 Easy Steps!

DJwODbHVwAAZnDk.jpg

DJwOEGTVYAAxiWn.jpg

DJwOEzpVYAAOedZ.jpg

Shield and bubble blower.

J@hranimo

Banned
Looks like the Squid Research Lab curved us hard!

Heavy Splatling Deco is dropping tonight at the same time (10pm Eastern Time)

Splash Wall / Bubble Blower.

edit: I'll leave these to tonyh24613 from now on :p.

Looks like the Squid Research Lab curved us hard!

Heavy Splatling Deco is dropping tonight at the same time (10pm Eastern Time)

Splash Wall / Bubble Blower.

edit: I'll leave these to tonyh24613 from now on :p.

I wont post the update if moray isn't in the rank rotation right now, though. :/

Branduil

Not at all surprised by the rise of the Sloshing Machine. It was already great, but the Sting Ray buff makes it a killer. Also, a bunch of people likely switched to it after the Tri-Slosher got nerfed.

phanphare

Banned
Latest Top 10 Weapons from Top 10 Teams in Japanese League Mode, from period 08/09/17 to 14/09/17 (DD/MM/YY).

The V1.3.0 Patch has caused some big shakeups, including Ttek being dethroned from #1 spot by the Vanilla Splattershot, SLoshing Machine rising all the way to #2, and Gold Aerospray now being meta at #4 thanks to the Baller buffs. Other Baller weapons like Luna and .52 saw big gains, whilst old classics like NZap, Rapid, and Jr remain in the Top 10.

no chargers hmm

I've been seeing a lot more splat chargers/scopes and firefin splat chargers/scopes in ranked aka in splat zones

Doorman

Boy, lots of new info to take in! I'm not at all surprised by the quick Baller rise now that it's gone from a near-joke that's easy to counter to "you better run the hell away immediately or you're dead" status. On one hand it's nice to see a special go from zero to hero but...man baller is annoying now lol. Splashdown meanwhile got overbuffed when it really didn't need much at all. But hey if it means dethroning the Tentatek for seemingly the first time in Splatoon history, sure.

Meanwhile, the weapon curve-ball after the Tenta Brella was featured in the direct! I've been looking forward to this set from the datamine for a while now but didn't expect it to arrive so soon. I'm already a fan of the current Heavy and this set looks to synergize well with it too. Bubbles for all!
The two kits are similar enough that I don't think I even need a separate gear set than what I already have for my current Heavy too. The object shredder outfit in particular. Between getting this, the return of Kelp Dome, the special Salmon Run event, Samus Returns waiting for me at home today, and testing out ARMS v3 and more of the Octopath demo, it's going to be a very gaming-heavy weekend!

Latest Top 10 Weapons from Top 10 Teams in Japanese League Mode, from period 08/09/17 to 14/09/17 (DD/MM/YY).

The V1.3.0 Patch has caused some big shakeups, including Ttek being dethroned from #1 spot by the Vanilla Splattershot, SLoshing Machine rising all the way to #2, and Gold Aerospray now being meta at #4 thanks to the Baller buffs. Other Baller weapons like Luna and .52 saw big gains, whilst old classics like NZap, Rapid, and Jr remain in the Top 10.

On the other end of the spectrum... the two least used weapons to break Top 10 in League are...

Original full report by Splatoon2DB can be found here (Japanese only). Full report also includes complete weapon usage rankings. Above charts translated by me.

This kind of thing is one of the reasons Splatoon is such a consistently fun game. There is just this constant pursuit of trying to figure out the most advantageous set of tools for the job, paired with constantly adapting your playstyle with those tools.

I am obviously nowher near the top of the heap when it comes to the competitive side of this game, so for this stuff to be felt even way down here where I am? That's amazing.

random25

On the other end of the spectrum... the two least used weapons to break Top 10 in League are...

Original full report by Splatoon2DB can be found here (Japanese only). Full report also includes complete weapon usage rankings. Above charts translated by me.

My main Sloshing machine getting the job done!

I am.loving my old favorite RG as well now. Baller is just a good pressuring tool in ranked.

Koren

Why do so many people hate Moray? It's one of my favorite maps...
Vocal minority?

When they did the popularity contest on Splatoon 1 maps (on the whole set, with a lot of interesting maps), Moray was 1st in EU, 1st in US, 4th in Japan, and 2nd in others.

I think it's an interesting one, and that changes are for the best.

ionitron

Vocal minority?

When they did the popularity contest on Splatoon 1 maps (on the whole set, with a lot of interesting maps), Moray was 1st in EU, 1st in US, 4th in Japan, and 2nd in others.

Wow, really? Really vocal. Seems like a lot of people here really hate it.

Don't like Port Mackerel. It's just really bland to me, visually and design wise- but lately I've liked it a little more. I don't hate it, however, it's just meh.

Koren

Wow, really? Really vocal. Seems like a lot of people here really hate it.
I think that if you don't like it, you hate it.

The only issue I have with the current set of maps is the lack of variety compared to S1. I especially think Musselforge and Sturgeon are far, far too similar.

Doorman

It's hard to pin down exactly why I still dislike Moray so much, but it was in my bottom 3 maps in the first Splatoon when all was said and done, and it's my first or second most-despised map in Splatoon 2 as well. Just feels like there's a lot of really stupid shit that happens that you can't as easily get away with on other maps. The changes make it better than it used to be...but I still hate it. It's the only map in the game whose mere presence has forced me away from playing the game when I wanted to play. I don't like Musselforge either but I'll still play on it for some reason (as long as it's not paired with Moray).

I can...kind of understand when people talk of similarity between Musselforge and Sturgeon in terms of the most basic functions of their layouts, but the size and scope between the two maps is so large that it completely changes the way you play and approach them. Sturgeon is much larger in general so it's got wider avenues to move and the angle of ramps generally isn't as steep as the one in the center of Musselforge, which helps the viability of longer-range weapons.

I don't like Moray because it screws you coming and going on top of being constricting.

A lot of the map is wasted space. The ramps to your right after spawn are too time-consuming to paint or traverse so you go forward and drop down to the next ledge. That ledge is also frequently unused so you don't really need it so you drop down to the next ledge. Finally you're at the section of the map where action is happening. That's a lot of wasted space you have to traverse before you can do anything after spawn / start. So on respawn facing a team that has one of those main ledges controlled, you have to trust you can get some kills dropping straight in to enemy numbers or go even further out of your way down the side ramps, but not because they give an advantage but because it's the only way to make an attempt at getting back into the field. Conversely it's also difficult to push in to enemy territory. The high ledges and walls are a time consuming hurdle to approach, let alone get enough of a foothold that means enough.

The result is the stage funnels both teams into the very bottom area and the two corners at the base of the "Rainmaker Wall". The stage acts exactly like a toilet and we're getting flushed.

J@hranimo

Banned
Vocal minority?

And to this day, I still have trust issues with the Splatoon community over those results....

Id like a mode with no specials, they're annoying and disrupt the flow of the match.

Also if someone gets less than 500p on turf war it shouldnt hurt your freshness rank if you lose. 🤓

ss-hikaru

Being in the same team as 2 snipers... Yeah, thanks. I'll happily take that 5 minute ban.

Aww don't be like that. I've played heavy splatling with 2 chargers on my team and it is possible to win. Just like 3v4s are winnable. Sure it's an uphill battle but when it works out it's the best feeling ever.

I feel sorry for chargers. So much hate and so little support.

Rayis

Is it just me or did they nerf some of the Salmonid bosses from Salmon Run like Maws? now you can just shoot her and she'll die and you don't have to make her swallow a grenade

Ogodei

What the fuck is with the current Salmon Run setup? They're literally drawing the weapons at random. I had a shoreline wave with two goo tubers on my team...

Demoskinos

What the fuck is with the current Salmon Run setup? They're literally drawing the weapons at random. I had a shoreline wave with two goo tubers on my team...

I went a game where I got the same paint roller not one not two but three times in a row.

yeah, my first match of this random was it giving me and another team member e-litres and shoving it on high tide. Didn't even make it past the first wave :p

Conversely, in a later game for the final wave it gave my entire team the grizzco blaster. Couldn't even see the salmonids past all the explosions but it was a pretty easy wave :3

I'm sorry for actually enjoying myself for a moment, Splatoon....

It'll never happen again.

May I please be partnered with at least one good teammate for a round?

Been trying to check out the deco splatling but it's weirdly constantly matching me against teams that seem to be kicking the living heck out of the rest of my team. I'm still walking about mowing them down quite happily but everyone else with me is negative K:D and the last lot I played against all seemed to be running splooshomatics/aerosprays loaded to the gills with run speed and learned quickly to keep filling in any part of the map I wasn't in rather than trying to fight me... after all it's not like I was going to catch up with them if they keep out of my sight, even with the splatling's reach ¬.¬

Jims

I find Kelp Dome harder to manage without the handheld map in this game. That's one of those maps I used to look down at all the time to watch the enemy opening. The new version is interesting, though... The square in the middle feels a little smaller and the middle platform doesn't feel like as dominant a position. The dynamic of the map feels basically the same, though. Can't tell if watching the flank is easier or harder in this version. There is an extra drop-off now, but they give you a little diagonal and a raised platform to sit there and watch all three walkways.

The Salmon Run rotation is awesome... Love playing that Grizzco Blaster so much. Had some weird RNG where we got double-rollers a couple times, but nothing too egregious.

Geg

Kelp Dome is nice, it's cool to have an actually good stage from the first game finally.

Only problem is the weapon that I liked playing the most on it and thought was the best fit for me isn't in the game anymore so I have to try figuring out what else works

Ogodei

I find Kelp Dome harder to manage without the handheld map in this game. That's one of those maps I used to look down at all the time to watch the enemy opening. The new version is interesting, though... The square in the middle feels a little smaller and the middle platform doesn't feel like as dominant a position. The dynamic of the map feels basically the same, though. Can't tell if watching the flank is easier or harder in this version. There is an extra drop-off now, but they give you a little diagonal and a raised platform to sit there and watch all three walkways.

The Salmon Run rotation is awesome... Love playing that Grizzco Blaster so much. Had some weird RNG where we got double-rollers a couple times, but nothing too egregious.

The big change i noticed is that vanilla Kelp Dome is now a bit more like the old Ranked versions of the map (though not completely, missing the easy way to get from the spawn into the center). Mostly they added more inkable blocks on the mesh walkways. Should make controlling the center a lot easier in turf war (though the joy of Kelp Dome of yore was just wandering around the stage and inking everything in sight, occasionally running into an enemy but usually just going about your business).

Top Bottom