• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon 2 Squid Research Lab (news updates on the game)

I'll put this here because I'm seeing it more than ever in relation to Splatoon... but when did single player campaigns start being called Hero Mode?
Hadn't heard that term before but it's been everywhere since the Direct trailer.

Geg

I'll put this here because I'm seeing it more than ever in relation to Splatoon... but when did single player campaigns start being called Hero Mode?
Hadn't heard that term before but it's been everywhere since the Direct trailer.

The first game's single player was called that pretty often in Japanese promotional stuff, but now that I think of it I can't remember if it was ever called that by any official English sources.

The first game's single player was called that pretty often in Japanese promotional stuff, but now that I think of it I can't remember if it was ever called that by any official English sources.

Since the first Splatoon.

Well that'll explain why it keeps popping up in Splatoon threads! :p
If it was ever referred to as that in the EU translation then I flat out missed it, but it is a cool name.
Google tells me it's a thing in Zelda too, guess I just never noticed:

TWWHD_Hero_Mode_Screen.jpg

Doorman

The return of Inkline! That black and yellow jacket looks pretty nice.

...I've never understood why this brand got the bamboo hat though.

and after the octolings

we get this octarian

映像では確認できなかった、新たなタコの情報も得た。 こいつの名前は「スタコラー」。 その名の通り、スタコラサッサと逃げ回りながら、ボムをまき散らす厄介なヤツだ。 うまく袋小路に追い込んで仕留めよう。

apparently runs away and spreads splat bombs.

https://twitter.com/SplatoonJP/status/867303371840958465
it's a twitter Gif and no picture so i can't post it

I'm really excited for the enemy design, if there was a notable weakpoint (in addition to length and some repetition) in spatoon's campaign, it's that while the progression of ideas what quite strong, the nitty gritty of the encounter design could be made to be more strategic and interesting.

Doorman

I can't say I'm exactly thrilled to have all three rankes modes back and not significantly altered (pls go away tower control), but at least the tweaks they're adding seem to be genuinely helpful.

I hope E3 still brings us at least one totally new mode too.

TZchassis

I can't say I'm exactly thrilled to have all three rankes modes back and not significantly altered (pls go away tower control), but at least the tweaks they're adding seem to be genuinely helpful.

I hope E3 still brings us at least one totally new mode too.
I think that we will see brand new ranked modes at E3. They've already showed off Hero Mode & Salmon Run and I think they have to save something for E3.

phanphare

Banned
cross posting from the other thread

overhead of the concert stage map

AFF59gI.jpg

splat zones UI change

giphy.gif

tower control checkpoint
giphy.gif

rainmaker burst

giphy.gif

Dyle

Awesome these changes are exactly what these modes needed to reduce some of the frustration that the modes in the original game had. I'm especially looking forward to the new tower control, which should prevent rounds from turning into endless stalemates, having checkpoints should incentivize both teams to get on the tower while reducing the amount of time spent waiting for the tower to travel the middle parts of the map.

Doorman

Starfish Mainstage is also laid out very differently than I would have imagined. Interesting how it and Musselforge both have pretty prevalent "trench"-like areas. I'm not sonsure I like it, even if it does provide a lot of cover from chargers.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Man I am really loving the improvements to lighting in Splat 2 vs 1, super evident in that video. Just looks more dynamic all around.

Moondrop

Banned
New abilities?
The small orange one appears to be Ink Resistance Up as a minor ability.

But yeah the pink squid + clock, sub + defense, and double green squids appear new.

I'm guessing sub + defense acts like the secondary function of bomb sniffer- reducing splash damage from sub weapons.

The pink one looks like cold blooded (complete with horizontal white line), but now the line isn't Xed out. I'm guessing this is a stackable cold-blooded no longer restricted to shirts.

The double greens are obviously related to quick respawn. Super guess: they nerfed quick respawn to the ground by making it so you only respawn faster if teammates have been splatted, a la tenacity.

The small orange one appears to be Ink Resistance Up as a minor ability.

But yeah the pink squid + clock, sub + defense, and double green squids appear new.

I'm guessing sub + defense acts like the secondary function of bomb sniffer- reducing splash damage from sub weapons.

The pink one looks like cold blooded (complete with horizontal white line), but now the line isn't Xed out. I'm guessing this is a stackable cold-blooded no longer restricted to shirts.

The double greens are obviously related to quick respawn. Super guess: they nerfed quick respawn to the ground by making it so you only respawn faster if teammates have been splatted, a la tenacity.
Team-related QR seems more beneficial in like salmon run but if that's how it is now then so be it.

Doorman

Wow there's a bit to unpack here.

That red squid has the line coming out of them in similar style to Cold-Blooded, except that's obviously not cold blooded. It does, at the least, confirm that some sort of echo or point sensor marking ability is back.

Ink resist lives on, but in sub form, meaning it's scalable. It could mean movemwnt speed in enemy ink, damage over time in enemy ink, or still both...but I doubt it's both.

Sub defense is interesting but I worry abilities may be getting a bit too specific if we're going to have a bunch of stuff like this. And then there's double quick respawn...which continues to loom over my impression of the game like a dark cloud until they actually explain what it means.

More:
Team-related QR seems more beneficial in like salmon run but if that's how it is now then so be it.
Remember, though, that respawning doesn't work that way in Salmon Run since you get the lifesavers instead (and you're stuck using Grizzco gear). Double QR is strictly a competitive thing...whatever it means.

It does, at the least, confirm that some sort of echo or point sensor marking ability is back.

I find it's very weird that they have not shown this at all so far, because they've shown other returning sub weapons/specials like the modified Bomb Rush.

A tracking ability isn't really exciting to look at so there is little point in hoarding it.

taoofjord

God I love this game's art style. Arms as well. Here's to hoping we get more new IPs like these from Nintendo in the next few years.

ryechu

Moray has seen some considerable changes, beyond the addition of ink rails. Here is a comparison image I took. I couldn't duplicated the camera angle, but the differences should be easy to notice regardless.

Wii_U_screenshot_TV_01769.jpg

tumblr_oqupt56nnK1u3akyno1_1280.jpg

The ramps to get to snipe are much wider. The yellow boxes run perpendicular to the walls, which should be nice for squiffer play. Everything seems less cramped.

And all walkways are much wider.
Wii_U_screenshot_TV_01769.jpg

Top Bottom