• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon 2 will feature player messages and artwork as Miiverse replacement (GI)

• Thread starter Deleted member 465307
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Game Informer just published an interview with Splatoon 2 producer Hisashi Nogami and lead programmer Shintaro Sato. It covers many topics, but I wanted to give this question and response its own thread:

The implementation of Miiverse in the first Splatoon was sort of bizarre and interesting. You see everything from people leaving funny messages on the walls of your plaza to even conspiracy theories. Is there any sort of implementation of a sharing of messages like this in Splatoon 2 with no Miiverse on Switch?

Nogami: That's a good question and it's nice to hear that you enjoyed in Splatoon 1 the ability to post messages and artwork. Our idea with that feature was that after playing multiplayer, your plaza is populated with some of the people you played with and in creating this Miiverse functionality, it was that you weren't just competing against these people but also that you were seeing what they are thinking and it's some way to meet players indirectly and maybe see what the player base is thinking and create a sort of community atmosphere. This would mean that each time you enter the plaza, you would have some sort of update and some sort of change to the environment.

As you pointed out, while we don't have Miiverse on the Nintendo Switch, we have made sure to allow players in the same way to post artwork on the ground and walls, or messages to other players. So I think players will be able to continue communicating in an indirect fashion and seeing what players from around the Splatoon 2 community are thinking.

Much more about Splatoon 2 in the full interview here.

I know some people were lamenting the absence of Miiverse in Splatoon 2's plaza, so I hope this makes some fans happy! I admit that I haven't been following this game particularly closely, so splat me if this is old news.

Gestault

That's a cool plan for a workaround. I wish Miiverse was part of the Switch, speficially for the random/hilarious/horrifying art.

Scum

MV9dV9L.png

Title is already known from 4gamer's interview a few month ago. Well there's other new information in the full article so that's fine. :p

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
like others have mentioned, i hope this lets people draw using the touch screen!

mk8d & arms already have pretty fun lobby systems... i hope splatoon 2 takes it to the next level with more of that miiverse vibe

KingBroly

Banned
They should sell a $10 mini-game called Splatoon Ink. It'd be just like Mario Paint, but for Splatoon, and you could upload pics/messages for Splatoon 2.

But what do I know about making money?

Since the Switch has a touch screen, you should be able to draw on it, but you'd have to use those stylus with the rubber ends (like ones you'd use on your cellphone not the Wii U/3DS stylus)

Uploading images seems weird because then you'd have to have some sort of heavy moderation.

Maybe upload screenshots?

Geg

How exactly would drawing on the Switch screen work though? Like the Wii U stylus doesn't work on it

TheSun

Huh, I'd kinda like to see what a miiverse conspiracy theory looks like.

Good thing it's coming back. I would've been sad if the best part of splatoon had been left out.

Phamit

So you don't want to give a Mario hat to your Inkling?

Nogami: It is true, after all, that in the world of Splatoon 2, this is a world where the human civilization has fallen away and it's been 12,000 years of evolution since that time. It could be that if someone were to uncover or excavate a hat like [Mario's] that it may be possible. We can't cancel out that possibility entirely. It's also worth mentioning that you can use the Splatoon 1 Amiibo in Splatoon 2.

Somebody need to find this Mario Hat

ZeoVGM

Banned
Meh. I hope Nintendo brings back Miiverse when they launch their online service. It's just so disappointing that they fully dropped the most unique aspects of their Wii U (and 3DS) UIs.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Switch really misses the community feeling of Miiverse. Ditching it instead of revamping it to have twitter and Facebook hooks was a shit decision
Yep, I liked uploading screenshots on 3DS and having random people see them (and sometimes even comment). That community feeling is lost on Twitter, and I refuse to post that stuff on Facebook. I hope Miiverse gets implemented on Switch eventually.

Marcel

The disastrous WiiU had lots of problems but Miiverse wasn't one of them. Shame that it got dragged down with the chaff.

phanphare

Banned
great news, Miiverse was awesome in the first Splatoon

really made it feel like a living breathing world, especially once the Miiverse meta (lol) moved past purely memes and current events started appearing

Yukinari

Im glad he confirmed that captain cuttlefish is not dead.

Also i find it hilarious that they use the lore as a reason not to have Nintendo clothing. The outfits in Mario Kart, Woolly World and Mario Maker gave reasons to owning some otherwise useless characters. The least they could do is let you use AC amiibo since its the same team.

13ruce

Banned
Can someone explain the selfie meme currently going on in Splatoon 1?

Thank you.

But on topic that is awesome i dunno why Nintendo even got rid of Miiverse dumb decision imo.

oti

Banned
How? Drawing on that screen with your typical stylus should be way more cumbersome than on Wii U.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Title is already known from 4gamer's interview a few month ago. Well there's other new information in the full article so that's fine. :p

Oops. I suspected that this was probably already known, and it looks like I was right. My bad.

On the bright side, I'm glad this thread is spreading the news to more people.

So it's literally just Miiverse but perhaps without the ability to go outside of the game online to look at stuff?

Nintendo should have just kept Miiverse and restricted it to first-party titles. The ability to instant capture screenshots and then post later would have fixed the issues with Miiverse. Not to mention in the future capture video would have made it even better.

What about Smash paint functionality for awesome pictures drawing on screenshots or the Miiverse stage which showed various posts?

KingBroly

Banned
So it's literally just Miiverse but perhaps without the ability to go outside of the game online to look at stuff?

Nintendo should have just kept Miiverse and restricted it to first-party titles. The ability to instant capture screenshots and then post later would have fixed the issues with Miiverse. Not to mention in the future capture video would have made it even better.

What about Smash paint functionality for awesome pictures drawing on screenshots or the Miiverse stage which showed various posts?

Miiverse was probably not worth the cost to keep going.

Miiverse is also the most real thing Nintendo will ever do

If they port Smash Switch, I'm really going to miss Miiverse

loved Miiverse with Splatoon. All the pics and messages were mostly great.
From memes , other games getting Inklingified and lots of woomy
Also had some great artists that produced so much with so little tools

Glad to hear something like it returns.

news travels fast on Miiverse too. The sheer amount messages when something happens.

Somebody need to find this Mario Hat

Doesn't this confirm the ultimate conspiracy theory though? That the Nintendo Worlds are connected?

Zelda as ancient times, Mario as Modern times, Splatoon as future times.
Nintendo Cinematic Universe.

Why wouldn't they just have it as "A hat once worn by a Legendary Plumber of some sort." They could do this with stuff like Link/Zelda hats and heck...almost every character has a hat of some sort they could bring in. Or have it be "inspired by a X" so like a Kirby hat would be "Inspired by a pink puffball creature of some sort".

Top Bottom