• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon devs are posting regular updates on Twitter: Weapons, controls, story, more!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Village

Believe this bigger version of the group pic wasn't posted yet:
ubnwU3jl.jpg

It confirms all the octolings seen so far are female. So not calling them female is kinda weird.
I wouldn't mind seeing male octolings in a sequel or so.

Feel free to add more fanart in the fanart thread. Not many posts at all lately. More are welcome.

That looks knd as fuck

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
Believe this bigger version of the group pic wasn't posted yet:
ubnwU3jl.jpg
The fangs were an interesting design choice. That menacing little trait really adds to their overall character.

Vena

i would say is pretty much set in stone.

The game pays a huge emphasis in clothing and accessories for the playable characters. At minimum we should get support to unlock outfit or clothing parts depending of which Amiibo character is tagged. For example, tagging the Link Amiibo lets the Inkling use the Hero's Cloths or accessories related to the Link character or Zelda series.

An inkling wearing a metroid hat...

Or an inkling dressed as a metroid...

The possibilities are endless!

Have they shown any of the online multiplayer yet? Specifically, have they shown if you can lobby up with friends and search for others together? etc.

TheMoon

Have they shown any of the online multiplayer yet? Specifically, have they shown if you can lobby up with friends and search for others together? etc.

They have never not shown the online multiplayer. This is literally everything and the first thing we've seen of it. That said, no they haven't shown any menus. Which they never do.

Wait, how long has the English tumblr been going? I haven't been checking this thread because it was all Japanese tweets at first, but Nintendo just posted a link to the tumblr on Facebook, and now I feel dumb for not keeping up with this thread.

TheMoon

Wait, how long has the English tumblr been going? I haven't been checking this thread because it was all Japanese tweets at first, but Nintendo just posted a link to the tumblr on Facebook, and now I feel dumb for not keeping up with this thread.

Since mid-December

Effect

i would say is pretty much set in stone.

The game pays a huge emphasis in clothing and accessories for the playable characters. At minimum we should get support to unlock outfit or clothing parts depending of which Amiibo character is tagged. For example, tagging the Link Amiibo lets the Inkling use the Hero's Cloths or accessories related to the Link character or Zelda series.

At the very least we should be getting that which is what Mario Kart 8 had. This might very well be more DLC pack heavy though. Again similar to Mario Kart 8.

Your friend wants octo girl fanart ,huh? Here:

2T865CYm.jpg

http://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.php?mode=medium&illust_id=49013878

I guess I'll bump the fanart thread with this picture too to keep it in one place

Edit: Here. Fanart thread:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=837761

That was one octo girl
Have two more octolings girls. Less cute and more evil looking this time.

http://stupjam.tumblr.com/post/112445224913

Edit: accidently posted this here instead of the fanart thread..
I'll leave it for now but will remove it if asked

An inkling wearing a metroid hat...

Or an inkling dressed as a metroid...

The possibilities are endless!
A Metroid related accessory would be very fitting for this game theme wise. Metroid seems like underwater creatures in the first place. Would be nice f Samus unlocked various types of Metroid related stuff.
At the very least we should be getting that which is what Mario Kart 8 had. This might very well be more DLC pack heavy though. Again similar to Mario Kart 8.
Absolutely. Of the Nintendo Wii U 1st party games so far, this seems to be the more ideal for DLCs.

The Amiibo integration would be very benefitial for NIntendo if Splatton manages to take of. It could become a great platform for cross promoting games from different series.

Also continuing with the hypothetical scenario of the game getting traction, we could see a portable version at the launch of the next handheld.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
because they are squids
You say that as if squids naturally have that distinct feature lol. Inkling fangs are meant to mimic a real life squid's beak. I just thought it was a clever design choice that gives them a slightly more badass look.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
New tweets:

https://twitter.com/SplatoonJP/status/572711714858262528

このブキは「.52ガロン」。
一発の弾により多くのインクを使うことで、弾の威力が強化されたシューターだそうだ。
その分、連射は遅いが、的確に標的を捉えることでブキの特性を最大限に引き出すことができるとのことだ。

B_KuRKOVAAAI02j.jpg:orig

スプラシューターと.52ガロンの射撃性能を比較した映像を入手した。
ご確認いただきたい。

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulcdb67FQVo

The video is a comparison between normal gun and the new introduced one.

L~A

First tweet explains that the .52 Gallon bullets use more ink, which increases its firepower, but compared to the "standard" weapon, its fire rate is slower.

Second tweet is just about the video, which is a comparison between the "standard" gun and the .52 Gallon.

New tweets:

The video is a comparison between normal gun and the new introduced one.

My translations:

This is the ".52 Gallon" weapon.
This is a shot-based weapon that uses a lot of ink to form a powerful shot.
This means, however, that it has a slow firing rate, so you will need to aim precisely in order to get the most out of this gun.

We have obtained a video comparing the use of the Splashooter and .52 Gallon weapons.
Please take a look.

EDIT: The video is also available in 720p/60fps.

L~A

When I read the tweet, I was expecting a slower firerate for the .52 Gallon. Anyway, cool to see we're finally getting some short videos now!

I wonder what, if anything, determines the colours of some of the stuff in the background. The stuff that changed colour between segments, I mean. Didn't appear to be based on either team's colours, at least, not directly.

I hope this will become a trend and we will see more videos about weapons, maps, enemies.

Me too, would be nice to see more footage semi-regularly.

You say that as if squids naturally have that distinct feature lol. Inkling fangs are meant to mimic a real life squid's beak. I just thought it was a clever design choice that gives them a slightly more badass look.

I'm not sure what is funny about what I said, those beaks were pointed out to me right here on gaf early on around E3 last year we were all talking about these cool touches inspired by real life squids

I agree with you Inklings are a badass design

this is why I get annoyed at people begging for Mario to be in this world in some way

L~A

I'm pretty sure they already talked about the ink colours on Twitter, but actually forgot what they said (very useful I know).

Mario unlocking a FLUDD like weapon could be a cool direction to go in.

Everyone hated Mario Sunshine :p

seriously though this is what would be cool? Nooooooooo!

FLUDD is not cool here, it does not match this at all FLUDD uses water to CLEAN

even if you used FLUDD with ink and used it to fly and hover around the map it would still be a rehash of a Mario gimmick.

Can't this just be a stand alone New IP?

We have been asking for a new IP on WiiU since we heard it was coming here it is

What next, play as your Mii in Splatoon? NOOOOOOooooOOO

Mario brands are so uncool inklings will not touch them ;)

Javier

Kids Next Door was rather meh at first. But then they started doing season-long storylines with incredibly detailed continuity and suddenly something about the show clicked.

I remember watching the Z.E.R.O. TV movie. What an awesome ride that was.

I never really watched knd but there's a similar kind of youthful determination that shines in the character design. And big toy-like weapons.

Also yeah, the composition of that Splatoon group artwork and this knd piece:

KidsNextDoor.gif

seriously guys KND is off topic long enough now

I doubt KND's look had a role in Splatoon's design it is nice to find similarities in things you like but you guys are pretty much insulting the hard work of young artists and designers at Nintendo give the guys/gals some credit

Squid Girl I can understand the connection, KND is a reach because of a group shot that an old man like me would say Charlie's Angels did that first lol

Splatoon's design is COOL let's just agree on that

I LOVE WHAT THEY CAME UP WITH

p.s. PPG >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> KND

rawktapus

seriously guys KND is off topic long enough now

I doubt KND's look had a role in Splatoon's design it is nice to find similarities in things you like but you guys are pretty much insulting the hard work of young artists and designers at Nintendo give the guys/gals some credit

Squid Girl I can understand the connection, KND is a reach because of a group shot that an old man like me would say Charlie's Angels did that first lol

Splatoon's design is COOL let's just agree on that

I LOVE WHAT THEY CAME UP WITH

I think it just emphasizes the same spirit, as opposed to art style. A group of big headed kids wielding weapons that look like they were made by and for kids, like Supersoakers and paint rollers.

Azure J

That Shotgun Inker looks neat. Might have to consider rolling an Inkling with that as the primary weapon.

Problem with this is they're both in the upper echelon of CN shows from that era.

I also seriously cannot believe there's a portion of GAF trying to tell me that KND was bad. smh

in effort to get back to the topic of the coolest shooter of 2015

question: is story mode's hero still Girl Squid exclusive? If so shouldn't she be given a name?

in effort to get back to the topic of the coolest shooter of 2015

question: is story mode's hero still Girl Squid exclusive? If so shouldn't she be given a name?

Don't think story mode's hero is girl exclusive. You can play as a boy.
Just because inkling girl is the main character doesn't mean you can only play as her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom