• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splinter Cell: Blacklist |OT| Warning: May Contain Trace Amounts Of Stealth

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member

Say what you want about Conviction, it had an awesome launch trailer :(

This has a bit of spoilers, so be weary.

I dunno how to do spoiler tags. Btw how is it a spoiler? If someone on youtube already knows then most people must know.

I thought people in this thread would have beaten the game already.

You can't be serious.

He can't be serious.

There's no way he is.

Darmik

I don't recall ever using that move except with one instance in PT? Everything else was up-close and personal non-lethal takedown if I couldn't sneak past them unless the game "fifth freedom"d a level to where you were forced to fight (like on the Oil Rig during exfil IIRC)

I think there were only a few instances you could do it in each game. There was usually another option though and they were easily missed. It was very awkward move to do, especiallly in the first two games. You had to do this weird jump next to the wall and then jump again. It was a bit awkward.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I think there were only a few instances you could do it in each game. There was usually another option though and they were easily missed. It was very awkward move to do, especiallly in the first two games. You had to do this weird jump next to the wall and then jump again. It was a bit awkward.

Yeah, I could see where they wanted you to do the move but it just wasn't "practical" to do in context of the level/stealth in general.

LapinAgile said:
You could do the half split and shift positions I remember.... I loved that game. Swat turn all night!

If I remember right, they dropped Swat turn in Chaos Theory, didn't they? Then Double Agent didn't have it and it's been gone since.

I'm replaying Genovicition again and it's INSANE how Sam isn't mobile like he was in SC1-4. Like you can't climb on things that Ubisoft doesn't deem "climb"-able. It's annoying as hell. Why can't I climb a building segment to cut across an area stealthily? Oh because you put an invisible wall there because you wanted to make a linear level.

TheSeks

Yeah, it was introduced along with the split-jump leg-shifting aim move and then quickly dropped. Probably because they weren't used as much as they should've been.

(Well, okay that mostly is toward split-jumps. SWAT Turns have a purpose against doorframes.)

DrBo42

Do we have any official word of whether perfectionist is available at the start? I don't remember reading or hearing anything about that difficulty from reviewers.

deuce985

Banned
Spies vs. Mercs is reason enough to buy this game...

What were they thinking stripping it from Conviction to begin with?

TheSeks

If Ubisoft's forum base is to be believed it's unlocked from the start. I think OP even mentioned it in the "hype thread" a few weeks back.

Yeah, I could see where they wanted you to do the move but it just wasn't "practical" to do in context of the level/stealth in general.

If I remember right, they dropped Swat turn in Chaos Theory, didn't they? Then Double Agent didn't have it and it's been gone since.

I'm replaying Genovicition again and it's INSANE how Sam isn't mobile like he was in SC1-4. Like you can't climb on things that Ubisoft doesn't deem "climb"-able. It's annoying as hell. Why can't I climb a building segment to cut across an area stealthily? Oh because you put an invisible wall there because you wanted to make a linear level.

You are correct, the new cover system is it's bastard child. I miss some of the technical complexity the old games had, now most moves are allocated to one button. I am still looking forward to Blacklist but I have been revisiting the old series on PC (which pandora tomorrow is absent from due to technical issues) and they have rekindled some of my issues with the updated gameplay.

It didn't even start as a Splinter Cell game at first, right?

I am pretty sure it did, they were trying to implement crowd and social stealth. And the combat was supposed to use objects and things in the environment as weapons (The Bourne Propensity) And it featured the ubiquitous "hobo Sam" in full effect.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I think it did but it went for the whole social stealth aspect and was wholly different. Hobo Sam and etc.

Yep. Unfortunately for the team Assassin's Creed came along and they had to change it or else it would have been a (better) clone of AC.

It was pretty amazing how within a year of them announcing they were going back to the drawing board, we had an E3 trailer of the game.

TheSeks

It didn't even start as a Splinter Cell game at first, right?

What? Convicition itself? Yeah, it did. But it was RADICALLY different from what we got. If you're talking gameplay? I dunno on that front, I know they redid the entire thing because "Hobo Sam" wasn't working out for them.

In fact there's still traces of the old Conviction
(Sarah's "death")
in the final product.

@LapinAgile: Well, thankfully everything I've seen of Blacklist so far allows Sam to climb things and be mobile. It seems having Spy vs Merc back and making them "Pakour"-ish improves Sam's mobility. Or maybe he finally got his spine replacement surgery healed up or something, who the hell knows.

DrBo42

Yep. Unfortunately for the team Assassin's Creed came along and they had to change it or else it would have been a (better) clone of AC.

It was pretty amazing how within a year of them announcing they were going back to the drawing board, we had an E3 trailer of the game

I can't even imagine the overtime put in to salvage that mess. They did a pretty solid job considering. It's still a little puzzling that elements of Conviction continue on despite the backlash.

It was pretty amazing how within a year of them announcing they were going back to the drawing board, we had an E3 trailer of the game.

Asassins Creed which inexplicably still does not have a proper sideways wall run. I can kill whales and dive off of skyscrapers but I can't do the wall runs. Sands of Time still feels right after all these years. Ubi always seems to find a way to distill out the best parts of their games.

Neat, the Nvidia Code is the Deluxe Editions of both Blacklist and Conviction. Going to replay the latter once it finishes downloading. Remember it being quite fun if not very Splinter Cell esqe. Plus that final COOP bit is one of the best moments in mulitplayer gaming.

How's the PC port?

DrBo42

Neat, the Nvidia Code is the Deluxe Editions of both Blacklist and Conviction. Going to replay the latter once it finishes downloading. Remember it being quite fun if not very Splinter Cell esqe. Plus that final COOP bit is one of the best moments in mulitplayer gaming.

How's the PC port?
Not very good.

EDarkness

Aren't the local co-op options missing from the Wii U version?

No idea, to be honest. I just asked my Ubisoft rep about differences and was told all versions have the same content. May he forgot about that or it's in there, but no one has really played it yet to confirm. I'll see if I can get more information.

Woah, Uplay just made me install the Conviction patch old school style with actually having to click next, choose where to install, etc. More annoying is that everything it plays it makes me click "would you like to continue anyway" because my OS(Windows 8.1) isn't supported.

Woah, Uplay just made me install the Conviction patch old school style with actually having to click next, choose where to install, etc. More annoying is that everything it plays it makes me click "would you like to continue anyway" because my OS(Windows 8.1) isn't supported.

It's almost like they are trying to talk you out of playing Conviction lol I have the same issue. The port is serviceable, runs well and the co op is fun.

Shadownet

Banned
I finally got my account approved by mods. So my first official post will be in the thread about my favorite game series of all time!

So happy to finally be on Gaf! :D can't wait to play Blacklist on Tuesday!!

It's almost like they are trying to talk you out of playing Conviction lol I have the same issue. The port is serviceable, runs well and the co op is fun.

Heh, it seems decent. Maybe a bit optimized because with a rig far beyond anything in 2010 I'm getting framerate drops with the AA at max. Nothing major though, brief drops to 55 or so. Bit bummed I won't be downsampling though, even with AA at top there's still noticeable aliasing.

And man, that child voice acting is so bad.

Heh, it seems decent. Maybe a bit optimized because with a rig far beyond anything in 2010 I'm getting framerate drops with the AA at max. Nothing major though, brief drops to 55 or so. Bit bummed I won't be downsampling though, even with AA at top there's still noticeable aliasing.

And man, that child voice acting is so bad.

"What did you do to them Daddy?" "Shhh Sarah... the scene is almost over"

What's the best footage of the PC version of Blacklist out there? Seems like a lot of work was put into it and the gametrailers review of the game made the console versions look kind of rank.

"What did you do to them Daddy?" "Shhh Sarah... the scene is almost over"

:D

I finally got my account approved by mods. So my first official post will be in the thread about my favorite game series of all time!

fb0.jpg

haikira

Welcome aboard. We could do with more positivity around here =D

I too am very excited. Though unfortunately, it's out Friday the 23rd here in the UK. I'll only be playing the waiting game on Tuesday
and probably Payday 2.

Sober

The reviews for this actually sound pretty good and what I'm expecting. Seems like Fisher is a bit miscast but at least the story and dialogue with team mates on the plane sound interesting. I do still think a better technique would have been a completely new character who could stand on his own but I understand why they decided to stick with Fisher. Not putting in any sort of local multiplayer is a huge missed opportunity for the WiiU though :(

You seem to have an interesting relationship with this game Sober. Like you're a bit down on it but there's this glimmer of hope that resides within you and that you want it to succeed. At the very least I think this might be the second best Splinter Cell game, which is still a pretty good accomplishment. The bizarre thing about this title is it might actually end up being an underappreciated game. Which is crazy for Splinter Cell. There doesn't seem to be much hype or enthusiasm for it at all. Crazy how much damage Conviction has done, although Blacklists early days marketing is also largely to blame.
Stockholm Syndrome is a helluva thing.

daxter01

8/8/2010 Blackace was here
reviews are better than expected waiting for gaf impression before getting this one.in meantime I ll play some Pandora tomorrow. does anyone know how to get lighting bug fixed in PC version of Pandora tomorrow? didn't have any problem on xp but now on win 7 it seems its broken

danielcw

does anyone know how to get lighting bug fixed in PC version of Pandora tomorrow? didn't have any problem on xp but now on win 7 it seems its broken

Might try 3D Analyze,
Google for the right settings. I was able to fix Chaos Theory that way.

As far as I know, the OS is not the problem, the GPU is.

Top Bottom