• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sports Anime

Status
Not open for further replies.
What're the best sports anime? I've watched through most of what's on Crunchy Roll, and I'm on a big kick for it right now. I've read Slam Dunk and Eyeshield 21, seen Prince of Tennis, Kuroko no Basket, Haikyuu and a few others from various places, and Hajime no Ippo is in a constant state of on hold for other reasons, so I'm struggling to find something to watch.

I'm a few episodes into Ace of the Diamond and really not liking it all that much, does it get better or is it just more of this?

I think I've seen most of the big mainstream sports series, or am I missing something?

Also, as a side note, you should all watch Kuroko no Basket. It's great.

Manga recommendations are also accepted, by the way, I just don't have a way to read them easily right now, so anime gets priority.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Touch. Best show from the 80s

Cross Game if you want something a little more modern.

Both of them are honestly the best sports anime ever made.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
For baseball, I like Ookiku Furikabutte and Princess Nine.

For something different, there's Bamboo Blade that covers kendo.

Pong Ping

excellent use of sports as a means for character and thematic development, def one of the best shows of the decade regardless of genre

Kraftwerk

Ping Pong The Animation

Some folk recommended that on gaf a while ago. Really loved it. Great art style;

ZqMXqEd.gif

You've seen Slam Dunk and Hajime no Ippo, which are the best.

Other then that...Buzzer Beater is pretty fun. Hikaru no Go is fantastic, if you count Go as a sport.

JoeFu

Banned
Kuroko's basketball is so awful if you actually want to watch something about basketball. Everybody is hax and it's so stupid. Still an entertaining show though.

Ezalc

For soccer I'd recommend Giant Killing. The fact that foreign people actually speak their own mother tongue was something that made me want to stand up and applaud the makers of this anime.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
For soccer I'd recommend Giant Killing. The fact that foreign people actually speak their own mother tongue was something that made me want to stand up and applaud the makers of this anime.

I'd say that Giant Killing is the only football anime worth watching. Good show, its unfortunate most about the sport are terrible.

I'd say that Giant Killing is the only football anime worth watching. Good show, its unfortunate most about the sport are terrible.

What was that football anime series where in one of the very early episodes
the captain dies after scoring a goal in a SUPER IMPORTANT kids football match.

because that was terrible beyond belief

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Ping Pong
Club

Thanks to the first reply I now have the Touch theme stuck in my head.

Its the best!

I'd say Cross Game is a better show overall because Touch really dragged with some generally unnecessary episodes but Touch is amazing in part as a time capsule type of show - it just reeks of 80s. Its great.

Not sure it has an anime, but the manga is flawless : Real, by the guy who made Slam Dunk. He made it 30 years later and his style imporved dramaticaly. Also, real isn't a sport shonen, it's a sport drama.

jbug617

Banned
Cross Game (Baseball)
Baby Steps (Tennis)
Yowamushi Pedal (Cycling)
Slam Dunk (Basketball)
Prince of Tennis (Tennis with super powers)
Hajime no Ippo (Boxing)
Kuroko's Basketball (Basketball with super powers)

MrChom

I loved Hungry Heart Wild Striker. Not the most popular of answers, I know, but I absolutely loved that show.

Ban Puncher

Its the best!

I'd say Cross Game is a better show overall because Touch really dragged with some generally unnecessary episodes but Touch is amazing in part as a time capsule type of show - it just reeks of 80s. Its great.

I watched Touch back in the day, it is indeed a classic. Started out with Cross Game but it soon became apparent it was pretty much a modernised Touch retread.

Ezalc

There's a manga about beach volleyball that's ok. It has a lot of fanservice and it's pretty crazy in regards to the protags having some dumb powers when playing, but it's still something.

Also a manga about billiards named Break! if I'm not mistaken.

I2amza

One Outs - Most mature baseball anime ever. Thumbs up.

Cross game, Touch, H2 - Good baseball animes from the same author. If you like one of them, you should like the other ones too.

Kuroko no Basket - Decent basketball anime. The matches are more like action scenes between the 2 best players with the main character coming in and saving the day somehow. The soundtrack is kick butt though.

Ace of Diamond - another decent baseball anime where the main character is an idiot and we see him grow.

Knight of the area - Very cliché soccer anime. Makes me really want to beat the main character up.

Ping pong - awesome art and great animations. Matches are a blast to watch.

These are just top of my head. They are many more.

EGOMON

Major, six seasons of awesome baseball one of the best sports anime I ever watched I can't stress how good this anime plus it is long.
Of course there is the legendary Captain Tsubasa.

Ace of Diamond definitely starts a lot slower than other sports anime I've seen but I still really enjoy it. It starts to pick up when the official matches go down and you start to see opponents with just as much personality and skill.

I ended up watching Prince of Tennis based on the recommendations from the last Sports Anime Thread. I'm curious of what people thought of the main character because he was kind of shit. The rest of the cast was really likeable except for him. It's like they never tried to make him likeable and instead focused on making the opponents total dicks so that he looked likeable by comparison.

We had this thread a short while ago so I'll just quote myself:

Not trying to argue that Go is (or isn't) a sport, but for all intents and purposes, Hikaru No Go is essentially a sports themed anime. It's about a kid who's introduced to go by a ghost. It follows the kid as he grows to love go and dedicate his life to playing it. The ghost is the only supernatural aspect of the series. Also, don't worry about not knowing go. I didn't know anything before watching it, and I still don't know anything too be honest. It's not necessary to enjoy the series.

In response to people recommending Cross Game

I see this mentioned a couple of times, and I just wanted to chime in and point out that as far as the mangas go, Cross Game is by far one of Mitsuru Adachis weakest stories. Of his mangas, I see Touch and H2 have also been turned into anime. While I cannot actually vouch for the quality of the animes, I would strongly recommend those over Cross Game based on the mangas. Especially Touch. They're all about baseball. If you are interested in manga at all, I also strongly recommend Rough (swimming) and Katsu! (boxing).

Rough, Touch, Hikaru No Go, Slam Dunk are all probably in my top ten manga/anime series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom