• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spotify |OT| All the music, all the time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ferny

Im loving Spotify so far. Upgraded the very same day I had a chance to mess around with it. I have found every album that I've wanted to and had the chance to listen to some more that I would have never even thought to. Great service and I pick it over Rdio as well.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
bah, the dread of licensing agreements!

i've had a UK-based Spotify account for the last few years that i logged in through VPN. worked well. i changed my account to account for my US location and lost a bunch of starred tracks and albums that haven't made it across the Atlantic yet.

damn you capitalist pigs! and this is after i paid $4.99 for the first month! i was really, really looking forward to listen to all the Kinks deluxe remasters released this year :(

Animator said:
That is in the european version. US version has no timer (yet)

Aye. Well, if/when the shit hits the fan and I can't listen to no more music, I'm totally paying the 5 bucks a month for unlimited.

SeanR1221

Some songs aren't streaming over 3G, but work fine over wifi. Higher Grounds (RHCP), Take Me Out (Atomic Tom), Hurt (NiN), Panic Switch (Silversun Pickups). Any reason you guys can think of?

Also, how can I tell if a song is downloaded? Today I'm going to nuke all the songs I have in my iPod app and have my music stream, except for the ones not in Spotify's library, those I'll download into the app.

But they don't really explain it well. Do I link my iPhone over wifi and do an offline sync?

Manager

Sometimes some songs just won't stream. I have no idea why, but it happens occasionally. Shouldn't be over a longer period though, only a minute or so. Try switching your streaming quality from high to low, or other why around and see if it becomes better.

What do you mean with download? Make songs in Spotify's library available offline or import your old MP3 files?

Ferny73 said:
Im loving Spotify so far. Upgraded the very same day I had a chance to mess around with it. I have found every album that I've wanted to and had the chance to listen to some more that I would have never even thought to. Great service and I pick it over Rdio as well.

In what ways is rDio worse? Haven't tried it.

Antagon

Added some music to the GAF playlist as well. Not sure if the Dutch songs are available in the US, but would be cool if they are.

This is bullshit. There are STILL tracks that won't play and aren't blacked out even after upgrading to Unlimited. I think it's a streaming problem.

SeanR1221

Manager said:
What do you mean with download? Make songs in Spotify's library available offline or import your old MP3 files?

Making things available offline. It downloads the song to my iPhone, right? How can I tell if the songs are downloaded, taking up space? Reversely, how do I delete those songs then?

Manager

SeanR1221 said:
Making things available offline. It downloads the song to my iPhone, right? How can I tell if the songs are downloaded, taking up space? Reversely, how do I delete those songs then?

There are two ways. If you're at the Spotify home window, you can press Edit and then press the grey arrows on the right. When they're green, the album will be downloaded on wifi. You can also go into a playlist and press "Available offline" at the top. When doing these in reverse, the albums will be deleted.

I haven't done it with the latest version, but before it said "Syncing x tracks...".

ChoklitReign said:
This is bullshit. There are STILL tracks that won't play and aren't blacked out even after upgrading to Unlimited. I think it's a streaming problem.

Really weird. Have you tried re-installing? Also, type down the songs in here so someone else in the US can try them.

CzarTim

ChoklitReign said:
I've had this problem too. Hopefully they iron it out soon.

Animator

ChoklitReign said:

I had that problem the first day and since then it has been working perfectly.

Antagon

ChoklitReign said:

Edit: Nvm, read this wrong. Seems like there are some issues with servers in the US? It might be that they added a server park there and are still ironing out the kinks there. Personally I've never had this or the starred tracks disappearing problems.

Chao

Just right after I stopped using free Spotify here in Europe (not worth it for me anymore, sorry) it lands on US. If you can afford spotify unlimited I guess it's still cool, but the time limit thing and a gazillion commercials between two songs really killed it for me.

Question. What does the star mean next to a song? Music you want to save into your list? What are the black circles with the arrow inside. Music you own on your HDD?

Manager

The_Inquisitor said:
Question. What does the star mean next to a song? Music you want to save into your list? What are the black circles with the arrow inside. Music you own on your HDD?

Starring a song just puts it in the starred playlist, accessible to the left.

Press the black circle and you buy the song.

dakilla13

I'm liking this a lot more than Rdio. It's replaced iTunes, and the fact that it brings up both streaming and my local library music in a search is so good. I always felt that from a user's point there should be an abstraction over whether music was on the cloud or local. If only the music labels would embrace technology...

Animator

I love spotify but the whole offline mobile synching thing is bullshit. It is so damn slow and glitchy it is about to drive me mad.

CzarTim

Animator said:
I love spotify but the whole offline mobile synching thing is bullshit. It is so damn slow and glitchy it is about to drive me mad.
I've been having trouble syncing my local files. The Spotify stuff works great though.

Work out some of the bugs, add Pandora-like radio, and implement Google Plus and I'll be a happy camper.

edit: oh yeah, and an official iPad app.

I don't know who Rik Overvelde is on GAF, but I like your style, my fellow Dutchman (I'm guessing you are Dutch...)!

The GAF Playlist is coming alone nicely. I dumped some oldies in there, mostly from my Soul playlist. I'll put some Jazz in it before I go to sleep.

Antagon

Pizza Luigi said:
I don't know who Rik Overvelde is on GAF, but I like your style, my fellow Dutchman (I'm guessing you are Dutch...)!

The GAF Playlist is coming alone nicely. I dumped some oldies in there, mostly from my Soul playlist. I'll put some Jazz in it before I go to sleep.

Well, that's me :).

You had a nice list as well. You should check out my profile, found a nearly complete version of 'De zwarte lijst' online. You should love it.

Wish I could put 'A love supreme' in it, but they took that album offline. :(

I already subscribed to it, immediately after I saw your contributions. The magic of Spotify right here, fellas. An amazing thing it is. I hope you like my new contributions to the GAF list as well!

CzarTim

The_Inquisitor said:
I'm sorry, how do I find GAF playlists and everyone else's? My handle is: pacman326.

I guess people are moving over from Last.fm to this?
ctr + P to add your last.fm info.

SeanR1221

Thanks Manager.

One more question for now...

Is there a way to share a "recently played" playlist, so my friends can follow what I'm listening to?

Awesome Animals said:
GAF Playlist is in the |OT|

Got it. Wow GAF has good taste. I admit I have not really explored my music interests. Hoping Spotify will help out. I have a last.fm account but haven't used it in forever. I guess it's time to try.

Any way to put in fav artists?

Last.fm is being wonky for me. I set it to scrobble but it keeps saying "Unable to contact server, ___ tracks queued" by tracks queued does that mean it will scrobble them sometime later or something?

CzarTim

AvidNobody said:
Last.fm is being wonky for me. I set it to scrobble but it keeps saying "Unable to contact server, ___ tracks queued" by tracks queued does that mean it will scrobble them sometime later or something?
Last.fm seems to be having server trouble at the moment. It won't let me see my plays when I go to the site.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
So how's this thing work? Does it trump my gigantic iTunes library? I'm in the US beta now, but not sure what to do.

wenis said:
So how's this thing work? Does it trump my gigantic iTunes library? I'm in the US beta now, but not sure what to do.

I just signed up for this and I can already see it's potential in my music listening. I listen to a lot of new music every year (150 - 200 albums) and this is a great way to check out music that people are talking about without the hassle of actually downloading every album. I think I'm going to pay for the $5 version just to get rid of the ad space cause that is annoying as hell. The albums I really fall for I actually purchase physical copies of or get through... other means heh.

So I'm not sure if I'm totally sold on this... Got my free account and I just got one question...

Say I upgrade to premium and I'm using the iPhone app can I download songs from the spotify collection into my own... Like for example the new david bazan album is on there and I don't have it yet can I from my phone download the tracks and then sync to my computer those tracks and have them forever?

CzarTim

shenanigans0201 said:
So I'm not sure if I'm totally sold on this... Got my free account and I just got one question...

Say I upgrade to premium and I'm using the iPhone app can I download songs from the spotify collection into my own... Like for example the new david bazan album is on there and I don't have it yet can I from my phone download the tracks and then sync to my computer those tracks and have them forever?
No. You can only play it on the Spotify app.

CzarTim said:
No. You can only play it on the Spotify app.

Ok I see but say then I get a premium account and download some stuff and then make them playable offline in a playlist by syncing through the spotify app. then maybe in 5 months I cancel the premium and keep the free. Will I be able to listen to those songs I downloaded with the premium account on my then free account? Still within the spotify iPhone app obviously

CzarTim

shenanigans0201 said:
Ok I see but say then I get a premium account and download some stuff and then make them playable offline in a playlist by syncing through the spotify app. then maybe in 5 months I cancel the premium and keep the free. Will I be able to listen to those songs I downloaded with the premium account on my then free account? Still within the spotify iPhone app obviously
No, it expires when your account does. Essentially you have to log in at least once a month to "check in".

AvidNobody said:
I just signed up for this and I can already see it's potential in my music listening. I listen to a lot of new music every year (150 - 200 albums) and this is a great way to check out music that people are talking about without the hassle of actually downloading every album. I think I'm going to pay for the $5 version just to get rid of the ad space cause that is annoying as hell. The albums I really fall for I actually purchase physical copies of or get through... other means heh.

Digital distribution? I use that more than buying physical copies now a days too.

The_Inquisitor said:
Any way to put in fav artists?

You can star your favorite artists, and it allows you a way to quick access that artist, or you can add your favorite artists to a playlist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom