• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spotify |OT| All the music, all the time

Status
Not open for further replies.

thebeeks

Banned
xcrunner529 said:
Happened to me the first day. Starred stuff at work, came home and installed and nothing there. Seems fine now, though

Y'know, the same thing happened to me the first day I used Spotify. Hasn't happened since. Might be a weird bug.

Antagon

Don't know which user it is that added all those songs to the gaf playlist, but damn, that's one eclectic list.

Drumcorps, Antipop consortium and Duke Ellington side by side?

I still get random songs that just don't play. I don't understand it. It never says anything about it; no error message, no "not available in your country", not anything. And this could happen with any album that I choose. Like half the album won't work.

I was at Marvin Gaye, and I wanted to hear his live version of What's Going On. I tried this one version, and no go. I tried it from another album, and no go again. Just like the song, I wanna know what's going on.

kottila

SonofdonCD said:
I still get random songs that just don't play. I don't understand it. It never says anything about it; no error message, no "not available in your country", not anything. And this could happen with any album that I choose. Like half the album won't work.

I was at Marvin Gaye, and I wanted to hear his live version of What's Going On. I tried this one version, and no go. I tried it from another album, and no go again. Just like the song, I wanna know what's going on.

I tried every version of What's going on (live) and they all played fine for me.

SonofdonCD said:

I've been having the problem too, and it seems to be random. I've had songs not play, and then return to them later and have them working again. I honestly don't have a clue what is going on. But, I think it has gotten worse, because yesterday was the first time I have had that problem. I'm thinking it may just be that the client needs an update. I hope Spotify can take care of it soon. I went looking in there support forums, and someone did post the problem, but there doesn't seem to be anything from Spotify support even acknowledging the problem.

Manager

Ok, America. I can understand Sweet Home Alabama (
american.gif
) making top-50 in most played songs. But New York, New York, the weird version with the long intro?

http://open.spotify.com/track/3zb34RYWKNld1fGgKJo8Yy

It may be trolling, I remember the Finnish people making this the post played song on Spotify.

Drakken

So far I'm really digging Spotify, but there's one pretty serious problem. I installed it on my home computer and spent time starring a bunch of albums I wanted to listen through. The next day I installed it at work and my starred list was blank. "That's weird," I thought, "I would have figured your starred list would be tied to your account, not the computer you're at." Today I open up Spotify at home, and now the starred list I had before is gone, replaced with the one song I starred while at work.

Anyone else having a similar problem? This has me reluctant to spend time searching and starring things, for fear of them disappearing when I use another computer.

sruckus

Drakken said:
So far I'm really digging Spotify, but there's one pretty serious problem. I installed it on my home computer and spent time starring a bunch of albums I wanted to listen through. The next day I installed it at work and my starred list was blank. "That's weird," I thought, "I would have figured your starred list would be tied to your account, not the computer you're at." Today I open up Spotify at home, and now the starred list I had before is gone, replaced with the one song I starred while at work.

Anyone else having a similar problem? This has me reluctant to spend time searching and starring things, for fear of them disappearing when I use another computer.

They seriously need to fix their shit. But yes, it happened to be on day 1 and the fact it's still happening is absolutely ridiculous.

After it cleared everything (same situation as you) everything appears to be syncing now. I am still doing double duty adding to a playlist too b/c I'm afraid of it happening again.

xcrunner529 said:
They seriously need to fix their shit. But yes, it happened to be on day 1 and the fact it's still happening is absolutely ridiculous.

After it cleared everything (same situation as you) everything appears to be syncing now. I am still doing double duty adding to a playlist too b/c I'm afraid of it happening again.

I do hope they work out their kinks soon, but I have to imagine that since Spotify is currently invite only that we are a test market for them to work out the kinks.

f0rk

Awesome Animals said:
I do hope they work out their kinks soon, but I have to imagine that since Spotify is currently invite only that we are a test market for them to work out the kinks.

The service is 3 years old.

f0rk said:
The service is 3 years old.

not in America. It seems that the only people having these problems are the new American market. Please correct me if I'm wrong, are European Spotify users having the same problems? Are these problems new? Or have they been around since you first started using Spotify?

peakish

Awesome Animals said:
not in America. It seems that the only people having these problems are the new American market. Please correct me if I'm wrong, are European Spotify users having the same problems? Are these problems new? Or have they been around since you first started using Spotify?
I've never had any problems like those so I'm assuming that it's some server syncronisation problem for you guys. Or something. Hope it's fixed soon.

NGAMER9

Yeah, I have the issue of starred songs disappearing and random songs not playing too. When they get this fixed though, I'll definitely go up to a paid tier, it's a great service.

bbagwell

I am seeing some bugs too- clicking on the related artists link doesn't take me anywhere currently. My starred items have finally synched between machines.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Exactly how many mobile devices can I use on one subscription of premium? If I can use it for me and my girlfriend, that would be cool. Simultaneous use.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Really loving listening to this at work. The sound quality for the free version is really good, I'm tempted to subscribe just to see how better it sounds.

Also loving the GAF playlist, I've already starred a few songs that I'd not heard before that I'd like to hear more from that artist. I've added a few tracks (some Bon Iver that was missing ;)

Manager

Bboy AJ said:
Exactly how many mobile devices can I use on one subscription of premium? If I can use it for me and my girlfriend, that would be cool. Simultaneous use.

Only one at a time. There's a workaround though: you can use offline mode on one of the phones. But you'll need to go online every 14th day to re-activate the playlists.

Diseased Yak said:
Really loving listening to this at work. The sound quality for the free version is really good, I'm tempted to subscribe just to see how better it sounds.

Also loving the GAF playlist, I've already starred a few songs that I'd not heard before that I'd like to hear more from that artist. I've added a few tracks (some Bon Iver that was missing ;)

Yea, I wasn't sure which Bon Iver to add because it is all so good!

Davidion

I see the appeal of the social exchange but it's rather annoying that the selection can be downright limited compared to say, Grooveshark. But then the legal relationship with the labels is what it is.

The forced playlists and lack of an ad hoc session list like grooveshark's is annoying as well.

It's interesting, but I don't find myself in love with it just yet. Both this and GS have their advantages as well as glaring flaws.

kid ness

Drakken said:

I have the same problem. Instead of starring songs, I just made a playlist titled "Starred" and right click every song (that I would have starred) and add it to that playlist. While this isn't an ideal solution, it does the job.

Manager

kid ness said:
I have the same problem. Instead of starring songs, I just made a playlist titled "Starred" and right click every song (that I would have starred) and add it to that playlist. While this isn't an ideal solution, it does the job.

Drag-and-drop is possible and a bit more efficient. Holding down ctrl works too when you want to add several songs from the same album.

Goddammit, now I have ANOTHER problem.

The previous two problems I had are seemingly gone. But now after a few songs, like normal, it begins to play the ad track (only using the free invite for now; with all the problems I'm having no way will I pay). But only the ad doesn't play. At all. And there's no way for me to MAKE it play, so I can finally go on to the next track.

So basically I'm stuck looking at the ad on the bottom left of the program, not having any way to bypass it and play the next track.

WTF PEOPLE?!

EDIT: OMG FINALLY, it let me skip to the next track. I don't know what I did or if I did anything at all. If only this program would work for me as intended, as I'm really liking the service.

SonofdonCD said:
Goddammit, now I have ANOTHER problem.

The previous two problems I had are seemingly gone. But now after a few songs, like normal, it begins to play the ad track (only using the free invite for now; with all the problems I'm having no way will I pay). But only the ad doesn't play. At all. And there's no way for me to MAKE it play, so I can finally go on to the next track.

So basically I'm stuck looking at the ad on the bottom left of the program, not having any way to bypass it and play the next track.

WTF PEOPLE?!
I have that happen to me once in a while. I just sign out then sign back in and it fixes it. It is annoying though.

Loving the GAF playlist too. I've been adding a bunch of songs and I hope more people start doing the same. 88 people subscribed and only a handful of people adding their tunes to the playlist. Start adding songs to the playlist people!

sruckus

weallstink said:
I use Grooveshark, it's a lot better than Spotify.

Yes, if mis-tagged, variable quality, DJ-shouting, legal grey-area, no authorized mobile app shit is your preference, Grooveshark is better than Spotify

Sophia

I'm still on the fence about on a subscription.

On one hand, the selection is excellent, the sound quality is great, and the prices are just right.

On the other hand, I've had issues with the client (lost my starred music twice), ads have, although only once or twice, got hung up so to speak, no gapless playback (a crime when I listen to classical and symphonic metal), mistagged songs, and literally two albums have disappeared and are now listed as not available in the US (WTF?)

Edit: Oh yeah, the lack of customization on the starred playlist is annoying too. Can't rearrange the order of Title/Artist/Album, can't adjust their size without it resetting, and can't remove or add stuff you'd want on there. Very annoying. Therion's Gothic Kabblah doesn't actually sort in track order when sorting by Album too.

It's still the best legal streaming solution I've seen so far, however.

xcrunner529 said:
Yes, if mis-tagged, variable quality, DJ-shouting, legal grey-area, no authorized mobile app shit is your preference, Grooveshark is better than Spotify

ignore the troll.

EDIT: And a small gripe I have is that playlists aren't protected from duplicates. I'm worried that as the GAFlist grows, duplicates will begin to occur.

There still hasn't been a day I haven't started up Spotify to listen to music since it has launched in the US. Really loving the service.

Signed up but haven't had much time to mess with it. Can someone explain to me what the point of this is vs. just downloading music? If I can just dump music on my computer and phone's hard drive (which I can obviously use offline) what's the point of this program?

Antagon

Squall ASF said:
Signed up but haven't had much time to mess with it. Can someone explain to me what the point of this is vs. just downloading music? If I can just dump music on my computer and phone's hard drive (which I can obviously use offline) what's the point of this program?

You still have to dump the music on your harddrive before you can listen to it. With this you basically get an ITunes style client that gives you instant access to millions of tracks. No searching for download links, managing meta data, importing, etc.

Also, you can open any playlist people made and instantly listen to all the music on it. It's brilliant and for me changed the way I listen to music.

Antagon said:
You still have to dump the music on your harddrive before you can listen to it. With this you basically get an ITunes style client that gives you instant access to millions of tracks. No searching for download links, managing meta data, importing, etc.

Also, you can open any playlist people made and instantly listen to all the music on it. It's brilliant and for me changed the way I listen to music.

Thanks for the explanation. Seems like it's only useful for people with limited drive space or if you are morally against pirating. I could see it being convenient if the full version was free, but I don't see how it's worth 10 bucks a month when I can do this all free with minimal effort.

Sophia

Squall ASF said:
Thanks for the explanation. Seems like it's only useful for people with limited drive space or if you are morally against pirating. I could see it being convenient if the full version was free, but I don't see how it's worth 10 bucks a month when I can do this all free with minimal effort.

*blinks*

To support the artists, maybe?

Manager

Squall ASF said:

First of all:

Marrshu said:
*blinks*

To support the artists, maybe?

(Even though they hardly get any money for it now, it's a start and a good way of showing the industry we're ready to pay for good services)

Secondly, it's a fantastic way of discovering new music. Downloading works fine if you know what bands you like and just want to listen to them, but then there's people like me: all-eaters, who urge to find new good songs. I don't know how many new bands I've discovered through Spotify, or how many old-school classics I had forgotten about.

Plus, it's the ultimate party music machine. It's worth $10 for that alone. Log in at any party and people will be able to show their music, queue up. Everybody's happy. As I said before, I haven't been to a party in Sweden for the last two years that wasn't run by Spotify, everybody's using it.

CzarTim

Davidion said:
The forced playlists and lack of an ad hoc session list like grooveshark's is annoying as well.
There is a play queue. Top left.

xcrunner529 said:
So much this. Being able to listen to an album in order without checking the track listing on Wikipedia makes Spotify worth it. Also, Grooveshark won't exist in its current form by this time next year.

Squall ASF said:
It's easier to quickly discover new music on Spotify. Not to mention this is a good compromise for consumers and the record companies. For the price of one album a month, you can try a bit of everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom