• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spotify |OT| All the music, all the time

Status
Not open for further replies.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Shurs said:
Nobody has heard Odessey and Oracle by The Zombies?
So sad. I bet Love and Television are also on the list.

--------

I don't have Spotify but I browsed it on my lady friends computer.
Wow at the selection! I was very surprised.

Monochrome Set? Howard Devoto? Simply Saucer? All there.

sruckus

Shurs said:
What's wrong with search? It seems to work fine for me.

They should look at iTunes. More popular ones float to the top and I almost always find exactly what I'm looking for as the first few. In Spotify, I basically have to sort alphabetically and find the artist. It's horrible.

Like most of you, I love this service and I'm strongly considering subscribing.

A couple things about playlists, though:

1. I wish I could rename them. Now that I've subscribed to about 10 of them in the first day, I can see it becoming a problem remembering why the hell I subscribed to any one playlist. It would be better if I could name them what I wanted to remind myself a month from now why I subscribed to that one.
  2. Since I am "subscribed" to a playlist, that makes it sound like I'm at the mercy of whoever created it. If they decide to delete it, do I lose it? If they decide to change a bunch of songs on it, is it changed for me too?

Fleet_of_Foot said:

1. I wish I could rename them. Now that I've subscribed to about 10 of them in the first day, I can see it becoming a problem remembering why the hell I subscribed to any one playlist. It would be better if I could name them what I wanted to remind myself a month from now why I subscribed to that one.
  2. Since I am "subscribed" to a playlist, that makes it sound like I'm at the mercy of whoever created it. If they decide to delete it, do I lose it? If they decide to change a bunch of songs on it, is it changed for me too?

To answer both questions, you can always take the selected playlist, and copy the songs to a playlist of your own. Then you aren't at the mercy of the creator, and you can rename it. I think the idea behind subscribing to playlists is because you like what that person did, and trust their taste, based on that playlist, to only improve the playlist. Now, of course you are subjected to their unique taste, but if you liked the playlist enough to subscribe to it, I don't think you would be that worried about that.

Fleet_of_Foot said:

If they change songs it's changed for you as well. If they delete it it's still in your list, though if you delete it you can't subscribe to it again.

Here's a pretty much complete Gaming on Spotify playlist: http://open.spotify.com/user/naseer/playlist/0gKT0qcdW9J4Syn3LOzwO9

Oh, and here's an invite:
eXuWzJRz7dPpL3mR

So can someone explain what exactly happens when I do a premium subscription and use my iPhone?

I get that my playlists will show up but I'm asking more about the syncing of music.

I have of music on my iPhone through iTunes. It sounds like it will erase all that (why?), and then what? I can tell it to sync whatever music I want through the Spotify client? And then I can listen to it even when I'm not connected to the Internet?

And what if I want to then go back and add some of my own music back to the iPhone? Can I have both Spotify music and my own music on there?

And does the Spotify music I've synced play through the iPod ap on the phone, or does it have to play through the Spotify ap?

Antagon

Fleet_of_Foot said:
So can someone explain what exactly happens when I do a premium subscription and use my iPhone?

I get that my playlists will show up but I'm asking more about the syncing of music.

I have of music on my iPhone through iTunes. It sounds like it will erase all that (why?), and then what? I can tell it to sync whatever music I want through the Spotify client? And then I can listen to it even when I'm not connected to the Internet?

And what if I want to then go back and add some of my own music back to the iPhone? Can I have both Spotify music and my own music on there?

And does the Spotify music I've synced play through the iPod ap on the phone, or does it have to play through the Spotify ap?

There's 2 different things. You can sync music you own through Spotify, like you would normally do through ITunes. Not sure how it exactly works, as I've not done it myself.

Second option is offline playlists. You can mark playlists in your iPhone app as offline and it'll download the music automatically. Usually only done over wifi, but if you want you can turn downloading over 3g on as well. You don't need to sync to your pc for that and it won't do anything to other music on your mobile. Offline playlists can only be played through the Spotify app.

So if I mark a playlist as offline, and say the playlist has 50 songs. It's going to download all 50 of those songs for me to play whenever I want? What if a playlist has like 1000 songs?

Xyphie

Fleet_of_Foot said:
So if I mark a playlist as offline, and say the playlist has 50 songs. It's going to download all 50 of those songs for me to play whenever I want? What if a playlist has like 1000 songs?

The cap for offline sync is 3000-something tracks if I remember correctly. I don't really use it except for mobile devices, their buffering technology is so good that stuff feels like they are playing locally.

Xyphie said:
The cap for offline sync is 3000-something tracks if I remember correctly. I don't really use it except for mobile devices, their buffering technology is so good that stuff feels like they are playing locally.

I get that. I'm just wondering how feasible this thing is for listening in my car, for instance. I'm trying to figure out if the $10 fee is worth it. Can this really replace my iPod/iTunes (provided the music I want is available on Spotify)?

Antagon

Fleet_of_Foot said:

Yes.

CzarTim

Fleet_of_Foot said:

Spotify does not delete music already on your device. It does, however, take up space on your hard drive IF you choose to make a playlist available offline. Because of this you might have to delete some space (such as music already on there or apps.)

Syncing only needs to happen when you want to have the playlist downloaded on your phone. You can do this without connecting to your computer at all if you want. When you go to a playlist in the app, you can choose "Available Offline" and it will download from there. If your phone and computer are on the same network and both have the Spotify app open, you can choose which playlists you want to download to your phone on your PC wirelessly. I'm assuming you can also hook your phone up to the computer and download the songs that way, but I've never needed to try.

If a song is downloaded to your phone, you can listen to it offline. All listening is done through the Spotify app, not the iPod.

Dear god, this service is amazing. It makes the commute so easy now, and it's great because I really haven't run into to an album that is available (well besides Tool and the odd Masta Killa Album). I'm just shocked how good it is and how much content there is, hell it's pretty damn good for film soundtracks. It's well worth $9.99. It's already paid for itself a couple of times over.

Xyphie said:
This, besides a single being spotty, the music sounds great. I am so happy I got AT&T to give me back my unlimited data plan!

Manager

My client was auto-updated to 0.5.2.84, stable release. Was in beta before, not sure what it does though. Only thing I can find is offline playlist compability for Linux. They're not very good at changelogs...

btw, the "Most played" list has been updated again, looks a bit more normal now. They probably use something that makes song that suddenly gets played more, get higher on the list. To get new songs discovered etc. With tons of new americans playing songs that Europeans doesn't listen to, these songs got very high on the list.

Considering "only" (I say only compared to Europe, still great numbers) 70 000 Americans use the service, there is no way their music would overthrow the music millions of Europeans listen to.

Spotify Gained 70,000 U.S. Subscribers in First Week

edit
Apparently paid subscribers, so the total number is way higher.

Antagon

Manager said:
My client was auto-updated to 0.5.2.84, stable release. Was in beta before, not sure what it does though. Only thing I can find is offline playlist compability for Linux. They're not very good at changelogs...

btw, the "Most played" list has been updated again, looks a bit more normal now. They probably use something that makes song that suddenly gets played more, get higher on the list. To get new songs discovered etc. With tons of new americans playing songs that Europeans doesn't listen to, these songs got very high on the list.

Considering "only" (I say only compared to Europe, still great numbers) 70 000 Americans use the service, there is no way their music would overthrow the music millions of Europeans listen to.

Spotify Gained 70,000 U.S. Subscribers in First Week

Actually, that's 70000 PAID users. Quite impressive, seeing as there's about 1.000.000 paid users in Europe.

Manager

Antagon said:
Actually, that's 70000 PAID users. Quite impressive, seeing as there's about 1.000.000 paid users in Europe.

You're right, very impressive considering how limited it is with registration.

Artist Radio in the house. If we could just rate songs/albums then it would pretty much be a flawless service right now, for me at least. I can't see how they can fuck up to the point where I'm unsubscribing.

Macam

Banned
Tried it out and while it's nice, I just can't get over the old school WinAmp vibe the UI gives me. The music catalog seems marginally better than Rdio in some spots, albeit not by very much, and I just prefer Rdio's UI and client software so far.

But, hey, it's good to have competition in the space.

Sophia

What the hell? The White Stripes has almost single handily disappeared from the selection choice, even though they were there last night....

Stuff like this is slowly turning me against a paid subscription.

The Abominable Snowman said:
May I try this service out? Does anyone have a Spotify invite they could let me use?

Check the other thread in OT, it had some invite codes and not all of them were used up yet.

Manager said:
Plus, it's the ultimate party music machine. It's worth $10 for that alone. Log in at any party and people will be able to show their music, queue up. Everybody's happy. As I said before, I haven't been to a party in Sweden for the last two years that wasn't run by Spotify, everybody's using it.

How about for the fact I brought my phone into the bathroom and was able to take a shower listening to Da Mystery of Chessboxing? Shit, that is worry 10 bucks in itself!

Syringe said:
Just realised I have a couple of invites myself. Here is two up for grabs.

ctP3tVMaEB5e8kqV

eFPD2Ud65uz5nXUS - Grabbed this one

Was just coming in to see if anyone had any available. I'm apparently pretty late to this party. Just wanted to say thanks! : )

Universal Music Group Launching Spotify Playlist Service for U.S. Fans called Digster.

12fc29ed06e353f2_Digster.jpg

Plus, Atlantic Records has a playlist.

mr stroke

Still using the basic free service, and so far its been fantastic. Best part is the electronic music selection. Other music services suck in the house/techno/trance department but Spotify has a ton of different releases new and old.

If I had an iPhone I would probably consider the premium upgrade

Some of my invites from the other thread wasn't used so might as well post them here:

bUqGwtq5mHJNb4FE

deUTHq2zJ5E3A7DS

cK7cRHwRRGeutUnW

bksFCU5Zup99d5Wq

d4J5ZESt8aHUdrzw

cp2DEAur8BtDNa5D

cYgYSba3RBgyMb32

eNTcPMhhDYg4XSah

eBXYT2fhkZET5Gny

bX9J2t64pMW5FNLz

bZHycRPtL65kupGa

Have fun.

Antagon

overcast said:
Spotify is fucking amazing. How long will it be free for? Is this a limited time thing, or for the foreseeable future?

Half year in the US from what I understand, then it'll be limited (10 hours a month and 5 plays of each track max)

overcast

Antagon said:
Half year in the US from what I understand, then it'll be limited (10 hours a month and 5 plays of each track max)
That isn't too bad. I switch between this and my itunes now anyway.

Renoir

i dont know if this has been asked already..
if yes point me the right way.

can you scrobble like in lastFm ? Does it adjust and link you to similar music styles?
So this isn't a lasf.fm killer, more like A supplement...?

mojiimbo

Renoir said:
i dont know if this has been asked already..
if yes point me the right way.

can you scrobble like in lastFm ? Does it adjust and link you to similar music styles?
The desktop app has built in last.fm scrobbling support. Not sure about the mobile apps. Haven't seen any cool recommendation service like last.fm or pandora but I might be wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom