• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Tokyo MX, er, Anime |OT1.5| ORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shergal

...So, if I were to ask for some recommendations of recent stuff that's worth watching - what would you suggest?

Recent as in Spring shows?
From Winter, nobody mentioned Noragami. Weird considering it was being championed as the best show of the season by a lot of people.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
*Nods*
My biggest regret when i tried blade and soul is that i didn't have a graphic card to trully enjoy this "graphic" to the higest detail possible.

Oh man. ;_;

My nakama.

#TeamHometown for life!

============================

Soul Eater NOT! - 02

AXtrDDM.png
eKtfWsZ.png

iaXDzn5.png
QRySEXW.png

I love this trio so much. They have great chemistry with one another and it works really well with bringing out the playfulness in this show. Anya wants Tsugumi so bad it hurts, but it looks like
Meme has a solid chance of getting with her too.
I can't choose a ship! :(

Articalys

Black Bullet 1 - started off great and then it became very generic.
That seems to happen to a lot of shows.
Soul Eater NOT! - 02

I love this trio so much. They have great chemistry with one another and it works really well with bringing out the playfulness in this show. Anya wants Tsugumi so bad it hurts, but it looks like
Why not just
build a bigger ship and go for the OT3?

cajunator

Banned
Oh man. ;_;

#TeamHometown for life!

============================

Soul Eater NOT! - 02

What is Soul eater not actually about?

Well I guess since I did finally watched the first episode of everything I wanted to, list time in Famitsu rating scales:

40/40:
Atelier Escha & Logy ~Tasogare no Sora no Renkinjutsushi~
Bokura wa Minna Kawaisou
Haikyuu!!
Isshuukan Friends.
Kamigami no Asobi ~Ludere deorum~
Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei
Mekaku City Actors
Yu-Gi-Oh! Arc-V

35/40:
Baby Steps
Hitsugi no Chaika
Keroro
Mahou Shoujo Taisen
Mangaka-san to Assistant-san to
Majin Bone
No Game No Life
Ryuugajou Nanana no Maizoukin
Soul Eater Not!

29/40:
Black Bullet
DRAGON COLLECTION
Gochuumon wa Usagi Desu ka?
Hero Bank
Kanojo ga Flag wo Oraretara
Kenzen Robo Daimidaler
ORECA BATTLE

I guess I'm watching an average number of shows this season which is good.

Damn do Famitsu love Haikyuu and Mahouka, guess it has to do with their popularity. Though I did enjoy both episodes of each anime.

Branduil

So the Wal-Mart I worked at got in Berserk The Golden Age Part 3 today

Apparently someone in Wal-Mart's home office is either an idiot or drunk because this film was put in the kids new release section

So in the same section as family friendly stuff like Disney's Pirate Fairy, Scooby Doo Wrestlemania Mystery, and Angry Birds Cartoon Season 2 is Berserk

Scenes of extremely graphic violence, sex, and rape

tm1a1PN.gif

Obviously the perfect movie for little kids to buy

I can't even begin to imagine the complaints when someone's kids watch the Eclipse sequence.

Black Bullet 1
Thoughts during episode:

- Fire.... great, this is starting like From the New World. Awesome....
- I like jets.
- Mothra!
- Well..... Cool animation but uh.... I'm lost.
- The ending of the OP seemed like they were trying to invoke Attack on Titan vibes....
- They rebuilt fast.
- Heh. How he lost his partner was pretty funny.
- Oh snap!
- That's.... creepy.
- This is a super creepy dude. Very interesting villain. Not seeing what people were complaining about yet.
- Fiancée?
- Ah! I see. So is that really what got you guys in an uproar last week? Jeez la weez.
- Enju.... IS AWESOME!
- I am not making judgement calls on this relationship yet. We do not have all the information left to decide but yes if she's under the age or is his sister then yes this is a bit disturbing. But she's just teasing him for now so...
- "They're humanities last hope." *cut to them running somewhere* These guys are screwed.
- Well president.... I see you have some jiggle effects going on there. That's probably why he doesn't take you that seriously.
- Little angst eh.
- I like this teacher.
- Starting to notice how all the screen caps of this show with what they say and do are taken way out of context on this forum.
- Okay yeah.... She's super young. Bad MC. Then again he's more annoyed by her more then anything. He doesn't actually like her in any way like that. At least I hope...

Summary:

It's an interesting set up. Hopefully they will be able to go somewhere with it. The villain showed early was actually pretty menacing and cool. I look forward to seeing more of those fights. Enju is also pretty badass. I understand that they are trying to use the first episode to explain several concepts so I am not going to fault the show for trying to make me understand it's premise.

A lot of the complaints I heard early on were nothing more then either teasing the MC or something taken out of context.

So far I am intrigued but also concerned where they will go with this. There's a lot of room for error here. So they will need to tread lightly. That being said it's a strong premise and I am excited to see where they take it.

Black Bullet 1 - started off great and then it became very generic.

I got my three episode rule. So if it continues like it did in the second half then yeah I may drop it. But the characters and premise show a lot of promise that I don't see myself dropping it. Unless of course it veers off the tracks into something else, I don't think it will have a problem. I have seen enough anime to know that a first episode of anything can be deceiving. Kill la Kill showed a lot of promise in it's first episode before jumping off a cliff. FMA Brotherhood has a really mundane and boring opening few episodes before it starts up.

First episodes are deceiving.

zeroshiki

On a side note I was reading this piece on surprisingly great Cincinnati Reds starting pitcher Tony Cingrani and thought of how its basically Ace of Diamond in real life.

Southpaw SP (who was originally a reliever) who throws more fastballs in baseball than any other pitcher in the game even though his fastball velocity isn't that great. Its one of the most dominant pitches in baseball because of his funky motion where he hides the ball behind his glove which causes total deception especially to left handed batters where the ball disappears before they can pick it up. And he's been hesitant to learn or use any other pitch because shounen powered fastballs is the way of life.

My favorite bit is how pitchers with slower fastballs are actually advantageous to pitch to contact for ground balls with their offspeed pitch if the difference in velocity isn't that great. Which is totally the case for Sawamura as the only two pitches he throws are a straight 4 seam fastball and a 2 seamer thats effectively a slider he has zero control over.

Anime is real life!

Funky delivery + zero pitch repertoire probably means he's gonna have games where he can't repeat the delivery properly/consistently and get hammered.

SDBurton

A spin off of the main story of Soul Eater that focuses on 3 new characters (1 weapon, 2 meisters). Takes place during the prologue of Soul Eater, and has more of a lighthearted nature to it than its main counterpart. The story itself is about a girl named Tsugumi who just recently became a weapon and transfers to DWMA in order to master her ability. Also has some :sdburton to boot!

Midonin

Love Getchu 01-03

8eiPCVB.jpg

Can't let you do that.

I've always considered myself a lover of curios. The obscure shows that maybe aren't hidden gems, but products of their time, the forgotten ones, the ephemeral. Things like being half-released even in Japan and slowly, incrementally making its way here only make me want to watch it more.

Also, it's about voice actresses. I can only think of three anime that do that, and I've already seen one of them.

I now realize that being a voice actor and being an idol aren't all that different. The framework of this show - the strict auditions, the focus on physical training as much as using one's voice - are very similar to many idol series. The other half is more or less a standard romantic comedy. Though Atari is a good chance to explore the animation side of the animation industry in addition to serving as a love interest.

Momoko's talent is being able to shout so loudly she can serve as a human alarm clock and break glass. That one of the most popular anime in this universe is a figure skating love drama made me think I had put in Ginban Kaleidoscope for a second*. There's nothing standout about it so far, but it's treating the voice acting profession respectfully, and the romance is very anime (like mistaking a camera lens for a molester), so overall, not bad.

*I have not actually seen this series.

Soul eater Not! - 02

This show is the THING i was looking for in this spring season.

Thank you soul eater not for delivering the goods.

Soul%20Eater%20Not%21%20-%2002.jpg

i could ask you the same question

The chemistry between the 3 girl is freaking excellent...let's face it SDBURTON , no ship is possible except the one currently in place.

Loving it !

cnet128

Banned
Love Live! 13 END

So that's that. A satisfying ending to be sure, though I thought it felt a little rushed when they went straight from
the scene with Honoka stopping Kotori at the airport
to the big final performance with hardly a pause for breath.

Overall, I really quite enjoyed this show. I wouldn't say it was anything incredible - it felt like it was playing everything very safe for the most part, and the story was pretty much just what you'd expect from a show like this to the point where I could call it generic, but it was all really nicely executed with a super cute and fun cast, so I can't really complain. Even the mixture of CG and traditional animation in the dance sequences actually looked pretty good IMO, though obviously it's not ideal.

Girl ranking:

Nico > Honoka > Kotori > Hanayo > Umi > Rin > Maki > Eri > Nozomi

But honestly, there isn't a bad girl in the bunch. I actually feel pretty bad putting Nozomi at the bottom, because although she has zero waifu potential IMO, she's a lot of fun as a character and I love the way she plays off the others. And, er, molests them. Yeah. That too.

Hanayo and Rin would quite likely be higher if they actually got any chance in the show to do much of anything, and to be honest that's my one real complaint about this show, similar to how it was with Wake Up, Girls - that a single cour isn't really long enough to give all the girls in a group this size the opportunity to shine they deserve. So, uh, it's a good thing there's a second series airing this season to fix that! Hoping to catch up on the first two episodes of that tomorrow, and I look forward to it =D

3 new characters star in a Soul Eater prologue (1 weapon 2 meisters), the series basically focuses on a 3 way love triangle as the two meister girls both want the one weapon girl to be her partner. The series focuses more on cute girls doing cute things then being a shonen battle/horror series like Soul Eater. They also are part of the NOT class which are people who want to learn to use their powers not to fight monsters but to live normal lives.

Enron

Banned
Non Non Boringy 1-2

Ok at first i thought this show was just some boring slice of life bullshit. But then i hit ep 2 and realized that its really a sad snapshot of suffering with mental illness :/

Look at this. Making her own doll of one of the other girls for her to glomp.

bGoKXz6.jpg

Hotaru is so broken. This is so uncomfortable to watch.

Majin Bone 03

All that QUALITY this episode.

I'm not really paying attention the moment they start bringing out their cards to not play a children card game here though

Mature

Patlabor: New OVA Series - 7
Or what is, perhaps, the second best bathhouse episode I've seen (just under TTGL) .

SV2's propane is broken which means no baths. As a result, they all decide to head to a bath house despite still being standby— a problem easily remedied by also inviting Captain Gotoh. Along the way, SV2 gets caught up in trying to apprehend a serial bomber. Deducing that the only place he could have gone is, of course, the bathhouse, the team spends this episode trying to discover which of the patrons is the bomber. Oh, and the only identifying trait they're aware of is the guy has three moles on his armpit.

Gogol 13 showed up as one of the suspects... whom they called "#13".

Of course, even with all their detective work, it all culminates in a pretty hilarious nude brawl between everyone. The past few episodes are why I watch this show.

Black Bullet

The Villian is the true Loli master who has a 20th degree black belt in the Loli dark arts, but joking aside the Villian is truly menacing like he doesn't give a shit about anyone near him, walking in like a boss with his smuggy face. People who thought this anime would be lighthearted with Loli's ate crow seriously a kid got violently abused, and that present though. Anyways so far so good and can't wait to see how the story develops next week.

Patlabor: The Movie

Man, this was a good movie. It worked effectively as another story in an established universe while still being approachable for someone like me who hasn't seen the prior OVAs or the TV show that followed this. Having only seen Angel's Egg out of Oshii's body of work also made this an interesting watch. For all the political intrigue, religious subtext, and somber atmosphere known in his more popularized films, Patlabor: The Movie felt refreshingly laid back at times. While the conspiracy at hand is taken seriously, the steady pace and flexible tone allow for the diverse cast that make up the SV2 to breath and show off their individual personalities. They're quite the likeable group too!

It's a testament to the quality writing they feel like a real team that's been working together for years. They all come off as intelligent, level-headed people in their field of work, especially Goto and Asuma. I liked seeing how those two know their group well enough to slyly get their way or get information out of them in playful ways that feel believable. Some members of the cast do get somewhat relegated to the background to focus on the major players considering the film's runtime, but the character writing was good enough for me to forgive that on top of making me want to see more from this series in general.

From a story standpoint, I always seem to enjoy the subject matter of man progressing but still clinging to the past in one way or another. There's an interesting take on that here where the majority of society has pretty much abandoned the side of Japan not enveloped in skyscraper and industrial sites. Except for seemingly one man who's at the forefront of the advancement of the Labors. A few things got a bit jumbled together by the end, including a character introduced in the final third, that obfuscate the message for me when it goes full-on action climax mode, but I still found it to be a satisfying ending.

And in typical fashion, this film's quite the looker. There's a lot of great layouts, framing, landscapes, and animation cuts throughout.

SDBurton

Why not just
build a bigger ship and go for the OT3?

Ooooh shit! Dat wisdom!

Soul eater Not! - 02

This show is the THING i was looking for in this spring season.

Thank you soul eater not for delivering the goods.

The chemistry between the 3 girl is freaking excellent...let's face it SDBURTON , no ship is possible except the one currently in place.

Loving it !

It's so funny, I was sooo pessimistic of this coming season after we had such a stellar winter that I doubted we'd get anything as good and/or better for quite some time. I'm so glad I was proven wrong! The garden has been saved again!

cajunator

Banned
Maoyuu is probably something i'll get. Cover is ok
Leviathan was funny and i think i might want it too. Cover is passable but works
Despite how i enjoyed dog & scissors i'm not sure i want to watch it again. Cover is as weird as the anime.

I dont see best girl in the Dog and scissors artwork..

SDBurton

Non Non Boringy 1-2

Ok at first i thought this show was just some boring slice of life bullshit. But then i hit ep 2 and realized that its really a sad snapshot of suffering with mental illness :/

Look at this. Making her own doll of one of the other girls for her to glomp.

bGoKXz6.jpg

Hotaru is so broken. This is so uncomfortable to watch.

Hotaru has her eyes on the prize. One of the best things about Non Non Biyori imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom