• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 | Welcome Home, Space Cowboy

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajunator

Banned
I just looked up shows from Summer 2010 and while sparse I still enjoyed:

Cat shit One, Asobi Ni Iku yo, Amagami SS, Highschool of the Dead, and I would like to see Seitokai Yakuindomo.
So basically I'm still saying that was a bullshit claim. Although mileage obviously may vary.

cajunator

Banned
I'm not sure the point is enjoyment, since you are supposed to empathize with the titular lead, after all, so I certainly wouldn't go into the movie expecting it.

You've got it all wrong. I'm trying to warn people away from it and/or recruit more victi...members for my support group!

Its definitely not a movie you'd watch to "enjoy". I feel very very bad for Midori, as she did nothing to warrant the kind of treatment she got in that movie.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Just saw the pre-release screens for Episode 14 and 15 for Fate/Zero. My gosh. This is going to be freaking fabulous.

Jex

How the fuck did Lagrange sell that little? Every aspect of that cartoon is tailored to otakushit tastes.

I really don't know. I guess it shows to show that you maybe, just maybe you shouldn't mix all those different genres and tropes together. I can only assume people were confused because they didn't know who the audience for the show is.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
You almost sound shocked. You do know what they did to Bakemonogatari, right?

I thought that part of the appeal of Soredemo was that is was pure class when it could have easily not been. There are very few times in my life when I've ever been disappointed in SHAFT, but this is one of them.

Jex

I thought that part of the appeal of Soredemo was that is was pure class when it could have easily not been. There are very few times in my life when I've ever been disappointed in SHAFT, but this is one of them.

You can't expect SHAFT not to do what SHAFT does. It makes me worried about what other fanservice they added to the show, I can't imagine they stopped at the OP.

cajunator

Banned
I really don't know. I guess it shows to show that you maybe, just maybe you shouldn't mix all those different genres and tropes together. I can only assume people were confused because they didn't know who the audience for the show is.

Mixing those tropes and more together got Infinite Stratos and that had very high sales.

Jex

Seitokai Yakuindomo
Sekirei S2
Sengoku Basara S2
Occult Academy
Highschool of the Dead

Great season, unless you live in a nursing home. No offense Jex.

Those are completely forgettable titles, to the point that I forgot that they all existed, apart from HSOTD.

Thoraxes

I watched Mitsudomoe, Occult Academy, Strike Witches 2, SYD, HOTD, Densetsu no Yuusha, and Amagami SS that season.

It sucked overall, so it was a backlog season. I did enjoy Densetsu no Yuusha more though out of it all, and we got that broom episode in Strike Witches 2.

You can't expect SHAFT not to do what SHAFT does. It makes me worried about what other fanservice they added to the show, I can't imagine they stopped at the OP.
You should see what the did to the Nadeko arc...

*in an old lecherous man voice* heh, heh, heh...

Jex

Mixing those tropes and more together got Infinite Stratos and that had very high sales.

Not really. Infinite Stratots was very clearly the otaku-harem show for otaku from day one. A casual glance at Langarange might suggest that it's actually some kind of slice-of-life show about three girls who become friends.

Of course, a closer glance would tell you the truth about the show, but not everyone pays that much attention to shows.

madp

The Light of El Cantare

Shows like Hidamari Sketch and Arakawa Under the Bridge are virtually free of fanservice even though they stretch multiple seasons, so I know that it isn't impossible for SHAFT to keep it classy. Apparently, they realized only too late that you can't have a meido show without meido service and still be profitable, so they finally grasped the low-hanging fruit that they had at least initially made an effort to avoid.

I suppose there's only one way to find out the extent of the added fanservice. I'm up for it if anyone else is.

We'll soon see with Eureka Seven AO whether or not the Infinite Stratos formula can be profitable when it's not the main selling point of a series.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Shows like Hidamari Sketch and Arakawa Under the Bridge are virtually free of fanservice even though they stretch multiple seasons, so I know that it isn't impossible for SHAFT to keep it classy. Apparently, they realized only too late that you can't have a meido show without meido service and still be profitable, so they finally grasped the low-hanging fruit that they had at least initially made an effort to avoid.

I suppose there's only one way to find out the extent of the added fanservice. I'm up for it if anyone else is.

Arakawa was split cour, not "multiple seasons"... and it also bombaed, I think.

cajunator

Banned

We'll soon see with Eureka Seven AO whether or not the Infinite Stratos formula can be profitable when it's not the main selling point of a series.

They got some of the fanservice bug out when they made Tsukuyomi Moonphase and He is my Master.
I guess they were able to work normally after those shows for a while and then they had to reload. Which they did in full effect with Bakemonagatari.

Jex

You've just reminded me of the whole sketch they have in Soredemo about male-gaze, which really wouldn't work if it was crammed with fanservice.

Dresden

Plenty of harem shows go under, it's hard to forecast just what particular harem show will succeed while others won't (example: who'd have thought that Highschool DxD would achieve even a minor measure of success?).

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Arakawa was split cour, not "multiple seasons"... and it also bombaed, I think.

It megabomba'd, so I suppose it would have to be split cour from the start instead of a quickly-greenlit second season. Either way, they had the opportunity to up the level of fanservice Bake -> Nise style and didn't.

There's only 2 girls so far though, right?

From what i've been reading on 2ch it's quite a bit different from IS.

But that would ruin everyone's scenario of AO being riddled with every otaku trope imaginable! If I can't have hype, I at least want cynicism.

Plenty of harem shows go under, it's hard to forecast just what particular harem show will succeed while others won't (example: who'd have thought that Highschool DxD would achieve even a minor measure of success?).

I assume success for all and then am pleasantly surprised when they underperform.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Not really. Infinite Stratots was very clearly the otaku-harem show for otaku from day one. A casual glance at Langarange might suggest that it's actually some kind of slice-of-life show about three girls who become friends.
K-ON! was basically that though and it did very well.

cajunator

Banned
Shaft already worked with Gainax to make the ultimate Maid harem fanservice show He Is My Master, so they pretty much exhausted that avenue of ideas.

QIaXg.jpg

yes I bought that too

firehawk12

Subete no aware
It megabomba'd, so I suppose it would have to be split cour from the start instead of a quickly-greenlit second season. Either way, they had the opportunity to up the level of fanservice Bake -> Nise style and didn't.
Half of Bake/Nise is verbal sparring. You gotta sex it up somehow.

I'm also assuming that the light novels are full of descriptions of breast sizes and whatnot though.

Remember the days where you can watch a show on TV and expect it to complete at the end of a run? Those days are DEAD! :D
Hey, at least you don't have to buy the Vita game to get the ending!

Jex

Chihayafuru 25 -END-

hgt27.jpg

Dat fantastic OST showcase.

This image is kind of disappointing, because it's a display of the kind of subtle facial animation that we didn't get very often in the show itself. Then again, that tends to be the case for many other shows as well.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I saw the thread title and thought that they were bringing back Cowboy Bebop lol.

Running total: 2

Shaft already worked with Gainax to make the ultimate Maid harem fanservice show He Is My Master, so they pretty much exhausted that avenue of ideas.

Come to think of it, SHAFT's other maid show (Natsu no Arashi) didn't have any pantsu either. The show made up for it in much, much stranger ways.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom