• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 | Welcome Home, Space Cowboy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kaichou wa Maid-sama 01:
I would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

Maid Sama is a fantastic series; funny, sweet and filled to the bursting with Misaki being outrageously attractive. What more do you want?

Oh and Usui may be femme-service, but he's clearly a badass. Just wait till he starts speaking engrish, even I went a bit weak in the knees. Just sayin.

cajunator

Banned
Ano Hana is up for preorder on RightStuf.
No surprises on the price.

So fucking preordered. Pretty boxes *_*

I like to think that regularly visiting this thread is an education for the posters here. Perhaps they don't care about who or what DEEN is but if they want to know we're more than happy to cover it.

Deen is one of my favorite studios and I'm not being ironic. I like them. so what?

I'd give it a couple of years before it fades into the background, never to be mentioned again. Just like Toradora.

Toradora is also a good show. It's definitely the most tolerable kugiloli show. It has a good ending and somewhat realistic behaving characters. Its good.

Hook it to my veins.

jman2050

Legend of Korra is show of the spring, show of the year etc etc.

Korra OT is also superior for its copious amounts of K-On hate.

Jex

'Anime' in the English usage is an example of a reborrowed loanword. 'Anime' (アニメ) is derived from the English word 'animation', and is used correctly in Japanese to refer to all forms of animation, no matter the country of origin. When it was reborrowed into English, it's meaning changed to only refer to Japanese animation.

So, Korra no Densetsu is 'anime' in the correct Japanese usage of the term, and it isn't in the reborrowed English usage of the term. I'll let you decide for yourself which usage is the correct one. I've wasted too much time typing this goddamn post instead of using it enjoyably to watch another episode of F/Z.

Yes, but who decides what it means for a work to be 'English', 'French' or 'Japanese'? I mean, many so called 'English films' are backed in large part by Americans, does that make them Hollywood movies?
It's only two episodes, why not find out for yourself?

A classic trap.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Legend of Korra is show of the spring, show of the year etc etc.

Korra OT is also superior for its copious amounts of K-On hate.

So Korra fans are the kind of unclassy people that hate K-ON? more reason not to check out the show in the future!

Dresden

Avatar fans are basically the worst of the shonen jump base distilled into one fandom. Nothing but romance shipping and power level discussions.

I like Korra btw.

The Kids on the Slope website has posted the staff for the first episode. (credit to duckroll)

Ep1 - Moanin'

Script: Ayako Katoh
Storyboard: Shinichiro Watanabe
Episode Director: Kotomi Deai
Animation Directors: Cindy Yamauchi, Manabu Akita, Daisuke Niinuma
Art Director: Shinichi Uehara

Looking good. Kotomi Deai directed the fantastic fourth episode of Natsume S4, so I'm even more excited than I already was. Two more weeks!

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Are Korra and Balsa related???
Legend-of-Korra-292x300-290x280.jpg

seireinomoribito_2.jpg

Steroyd

Ano hana wasn't that bad, when you consider the fact that shows like No.6, UN-GO, [C], Fractale, and Guilty crown came out in the same year it was in.:p

The horror.

What happened in 2011 stays in 2011.

I mostly hate this show because of Usui and what it represents. Why even bother making the heroine credible as a human being when all you're going to do is have her get supplanted all the time by a man?

God damn shoujo. :(

I gave up that notion, and just treated it like Special A but with maids.

That type of shoujo is rare to non-existant and even if it did exist, it was only a matter of time before they go squee~

Jex

The Kids on the Slope website has posted the staff for the first episode. (credit to duckroll)

Ep1 - Moanin'

Looking good. Kotomi Deai directed the fantastic fourth episode of Natsume S4, so I'm even more excited than I already was. Two more weeks!
Good, at least they'll be kicking off the show with an episode that's been worked on by the overall director. I know most shows have at least ONE episode where the director storyboards/directs, but it's not always the opening one.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I mostly hate this show because of Usui and what it represents. Why even bother making the heroine credible as a human being when all you're going to do is have her get supplanted all the time by a man?

God damn shoujo. :(

So basically, Usui never stops being there to catch Misaki when she falls? I can still probably live with this. Even if it's a disservice to the strength of Misaki's character, it's at least an accurate reflection of the current global economic climate and the fact that the underclasses can't save themselves from their own lack of upward mobility with any amount of effort.
I probably won't be watching this show through its intended lens

I would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

Maid Sama is a fantastic series; funny, sweet and filled to the bursting with Misaki being outrageously attractive. What more do you want?

Oh and Usui may be femme-service, but he's clearly a badass. Just wait till he starts speaking engrish, even I went a bit weak in the knees. Just sayin.

The first edition of Otaku Teen is free, so you're in luck. This month we have awesome articles on saving sex with your 2D waifus for marriage and on how Ronald Reagan was the first otaku president.

Yeah, I have no problems with the Usui manservice. I have a feeling that I'm eventually going to be yearning for his warm, comforting bishounen embrace as well.

duckroll

Good, at least they'll be kicking off the show with an episode that's been worked on by the overall director. I know most shows have at least ONE episode where the director storyboards/directs, but it's not always the opening one.

Huh? Isn't it the opposite? It's almost always the director who storyboards the first and last episode, and in many cases the director also directs the first episode.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
After having a few days to let the ending of Another sink in, here are my thoughts.

The last two episodes were sloppy in characterization. Let's get it over with that the calamity had bullshit added "effects" that made people forget memories of who died before and then for some reason even affects physical media to even allow the story to play out the way it did.

Most of people in the lodge ended up going bat shit insane. Is this the result of the calamity like the teacher? The one guy falls two stories, somehow survives, and then somehow starts stabbing people. Red haired girl sees crazy friend choked to death (of her own accord) sees Misaki Mei with the blade or whatever it was, goes crazy by somehow jumping to conclusions that because she had the blade in her hand something something the friend got choked. What? Red Haired girl going crazy was so out of character.

The Misaki Mei being a twin came out at the last moment, though they tied it in with things shown previously, and was used as the plot point to cause the fucking retarded girl and classmates to think Mei was the dead person. The twins didn't even look exactly alike.

Old lady going crazy. Killing her husband for some reason. The slowest fire EVER. I don't think fires work that way when the one guy opened the door and the flame went flamethrower mode. You can't explain that with oxygen being available to the fire, because the fire would have died without oxygen anyways in that room it was in for what seemed like fucking hours.

The extra chair being in the faculty room was just fucking retarded. I don't even remember Reiko mentioning she was the teacher.

Plus all of the fucking crazy people were just disappearing like the fucking joker.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
That type of shoujo is rare to non-existant and even if it did exist, it was only a matter of time before they go squee~
You hate Kimi ni Todoke, so I don't even know what to say. :(

So basically, Usui never stops being there to catch Misaki when she falls? I can still probably live with this. Even if it's a disservice to the strength of Misaki's character, it's at least an accurate reflection of the current global economic climate and the fact that the underclasses can't save themselves from their own lack of upward mobility with any amount of effort.
I probably won't be watching this show through its intended lens
It feels like a chicken and an egg problem. Do girls fantasize about men saving them because that's the only option they get in the media, or does the media produces work about women being saved by men because that's what girls actually want?

It's same with otaku fantasies, but arguably more destructive.

Jex

Depends on whether you're a studio employee or on contract or a total freelancer. The most common form of payment is by the frame. It's terrible and inhumane. Lolz.

This is never going to change, right? I mean, I know it's been bad for awhile, but I assumed at one point there'd be a breaking point where that can no longer work.

Then again, perhaps we'll just carry on with the slow-decline and talent drain that exists at present.

Steroyd

So basically, Usui never stops being there to catch Misaki when she falls?

There's that and whatever Misaki can do, Usui can do better, she gets 110% in an exam, he gets 120% etc etc. Despite having a strong female character there's always a stronger male lead that makes her one step less than alpha for reasons unkown to man.

Branduil

Ep1 - Moanin'

Shinichi Uehara has a pretty good resume, of course the show has looked great in the previews, so that's no surprise.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
There's that and whatever Misaki can do, Usui can do better, she gets 110% in an exam, he gets 120% etc etc. Despite having a strong female character there's always a stronger male lead that makes her one step less than alpha for reasons unkown to man.
It's because women are simply genetically inferior. Like, duh!

Envelope

sealed with a kiss

This was the biggest flaw in Maid-Sama, but it also
made the episode/chapter where she takes on the stalkers by herself that much more awesome.

Jex

Production IG is handling the animation for the game. The anime will either be Production IG or A-1 Pictures. I can't remember exactly what the rumor from last year said, but it was spot on. Also expect this to be a 2-cour noitaminA series.

Oh thank god, a real animation studio.

Branduil

This is never going to change, right? I mean, I know it's been bad for awhile, but I assumed at one point there'd be a breaking point where that can no longer work.

Then again, perhaps we'll just carry on with the slow-decline and talent drain that exists at present.

The answer, as always, is robot labor. At least until they gain sentience.

cajunator

Banned
Why are you hurting yourself?

He's doing Science for the People who are still alive.

I really think this method of payment and treatment of workers is complete bullshit and horrific. The problem is that I sort of support it buy buying anime. Damned if you do....

madp

The Light of El Cantare
It feels like a chicken and an egg problem. Do girls fantasize about men saving them because that's the only option they get in the media, or does the media produces work about women being saved by men because that's what girls actually want?

It's same with otaku fantasies, but arguably more destructive.

Well, there would have to be some kind of reason for girls wanting men to save them, wouldn't there be? It's not like they're genetically conditioned to want this, so it has to come from some kind of external influence. If women think that being saved is their only option, it's only because they've traditionally been forced into reliance on men for everything.

I'm actually even more interested in watching now, if only to see if they can take this oneupsmanship to ridiculous heights.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Well, there would have to be some kind of reason for girls wanting men to save them, wouldn't there be? It's not like they're genetically conditioned to want this, so it has to come from some kind of external influence. If women think that being saved is their only option, it's only because they've traditionally been forced into reliance on men for everything.

Sure, but when did it start? Was this like early religion, where a cabal of men decided to invent standards in order to control women?

I think the fact that this is basically an "international" standard makes it even more fascinating to me, because it transcends culture and language.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Stories first, I think.

Primitive Society -> Patriarchal Society -> Misogynistic Culture -> Stories about Men saving Women -> Cultural Conditioning -> Women accepting "Chivalry" as the norm -> Women expecting "Chivalry" from men

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Sure, but when did it start? Was this like early religion, where a cabal of men decided to invent standards in order to control women?

I think the fact that this is basically an "international" standard makes it even more fascinating to me, because it transcends culture and language.

It would have had to start when the concept of "gender roles" first surfaced in human culture, I suppose.

Gender issues are one thing that I'm still too afraid to discuss on GAF so I dooooooooooon't know if I want to get into addressing the why of this concept being near-universal among all cultures through history, but it's certainly an interesting question with no apparent answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom