• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 | Welcome Home, Space Cowboy

Status
Not open for further replies.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Stories first, I think.

Primitive Society -> Patriarchal Society -> Misogynistic Culture -> Stories about Men saving Women -> Cultural Conditioning -> Women accepting "Chivalry" as the norm -> Women expecting "Chivalry" from men
Hrm, wouldn't patriarchy imply some "genetic"/non-specific cultural conditioning? "Man strong, smash dinosaur, woman go plant seeds." Like, presumably human beings got to a point where a woman could hunt as well as a man based on technology, but by that point you already had invented concepts such as "domesticity".

I suppose childbearing also works into this early narrative.

It would have had to start when the concept of "gender roles" first surfaced in human culture, I suppose.

Gender issues are one thing that I'm still too afraid to discuss on GAF so I dooooooooooon't know if I want to get into addressing the why of this concept being near-universal among all cultures through history, but it's certainly an interesting question with no apparent answer.
But it's fun to talk about!

I like the animes where a girl has to save a girl. Those are the best.
No one watched Rinne though. :p

I like the animes where a girl has to save the guy.
Those are usually pretty fun to watch.
That's like every magical girlfriend show ever!

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I like the animes where a girl has to save a girl. Those are the best.

That's the true Jersey Club spirit.

0ixHjl.gif

But it's fun to talk about!

It's even more fun not to be banned!
not that I have a particularly misogynistic take on the subject

Dresden

what little I remember of anthropology 101 (and of reading gaf-favorite guns germs and steel) informs me that gender roles arose out of women having to rear babies in hunter gatherer societies

the distribution of labor and asymmetries in physical size contributed to these things, which solidified during the transition to more agricultural societies

or something.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
what little I remember of anthropology 101 (and of reading gaf-favorite guns germs and steel) informs me that gender roles arose out of women having to rear babies in hunter gatherer societies

the distribution of labor and asymmetries in physical size contributed to these things, which solidified during the transition to more agricultural societies

or something.
Yeah. Fucking babies. Ruin everything!

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Hrm, wouldn't patriarchy imply some "genetic"/non-specific cultural conditioning? "Man strong, smash dinosaur, woman go plant seeds." Like, presumably human beings got to a point where a woman could hunt as well as a man based on technology, but by that point you already had invented concepts such as "domesticity".

I suppose childbearing also works into this early narrative.
In some cultures, the very act of childbearing is so significant that women are revered, giving rise to a matriarchal society.

You can thank Christianity/Catholicism for squashing those.

I think it's a dice toss, environmental factors might also play into it, honestly there's too many variables.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
In some cultures, the very act of childbearing is so significant that women are revered, giving rise to a matriarchal society.

You can thank Christianity/Catholicism for squashing those.

I think it's a dice toss, environmental factors might also play into it, honestly there's too many variables.
Heh, the Virgin Mary being kind of a revered footnote which is kind of ironic. It's just weird that say, Buddhist society gives rise to the same types of fiction. Or maybe we get into the realm of cultural colonialism at that point.

humans should lay eggs imo.
And make the men squat over them.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Or carry them in our pouches.

Huh. Hmm. This is something that, uhh......I've never imagined before.

don't let me down pixiv

Gender roles are universal (babies, etc.), but gender inequality is not, not anymore than, say, classism.

The easiest cultural / anthropological line to look for, generally, is between the nomadic hunter-gatherer lifestyle and the sedentary agricultural one we're currently living in. Helpfully, it covers both Eastern and Western cultures, and you have in-betweeners (like indigenous Americans) to examine as wel. I'd probably start there if you're interested.

Sure, I didn't mean to conflate legitimate gender roles resulting from reproductive characteristics with arbitrary "roles" and inequalities rooted in culture, superstition, and misconception. I should have been more clear.

Now I'm wondering just how much I remember from my mandatory sociology and feminism courses in college...

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Oh shit they're on to me.
It's the weird otaku fantasy where you want to be desired by women for no real reason other than you happen to be a man that's a blank slate.

What's funnier is the shows where the guy gets a magical girlfriend but doesn't even show any sexual interest in her.

cajunator

Banned
It's the weird otaku fantasy where you want to be desired by women for no real reason other than you happen to be a man that's a blank slate.

What's funnier is the shows where the guy gets a magical girlfriend but doesn't even show any sexual interest in her.

I don't have particular fantasies of wanting to be the characters, I just enjoy watching the situations.
I could see how some might see that sort of situation as desirable though.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
In a way it's a realistic depiction of stalker-stalkee relationships.

While it may seem harmless or even desirable on the surface, the stalker's presence puts a lot of psychological pressure on the stalkee, distorting their reactions toward the stalker.

Anime: Entertaining and educational!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I don't have particular fantasies of wanting to be the characters, I just enjoy watching the situations.
I could see how some might see that sort of situation as desirable though.
Well, it's like the harem lead but focused to a triangle (boy + magical girlfriend + childhood friend). They work because they hit some part of the brain that wants that to happen to the viewer - whether it's subconscious or not.

And I'm not really making a judgement about it I suppose. I mean, who doesn't want to think they're hot shit and have pheromones that can instantly grab another person's attention? It's certainly a bit more "positive" than wanting someone to help you all the time because you think you are useless.

Well, he does show interest in her, so it doesn't count!
That's true! And it's a relatively minor plot point that they lampshade anyway. lol

While it may seem harmless or even desirable on the surface, the stalker's presence puts a lot of psychological pressure on the stalkee, distorting their reactions toward the stalker.

Aka, the clingy boy/girl/friend/partner.

Dresden

But the internet told me stalking was the third purest expression of love.

After having a few days to let the ending of Another sink in, here are my thoughts.

Plus all of the fucking crazy people were just disappearing like the fucking joker.

I am only shocked at the kill count, it seemed rather low for the number of deaths total for the whole event, though Im still shocked over the actual revelation of the extra, seemed to be something no one could predict which made it great

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Lol. Maybe this is one of those things like "teacher has sex with underage student" threads on gaffu, where the moral perception of the act is flipped based on gender.

Guy stalking girl: creepy lecher

Girl stalking guy: free girlfriend, why doesn't he tap that?
Well, strangely, shoujo books find a way to make stalker boys acceptable and even desired.

Usui basically follows Misaki around and "protects" her from the shadows. Not creepy at all - especially if you put blossoming flowers in the background.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Symphogear 12:

hah, more funny animation oddities. I think that eyes are supposed to widen and contract when someone is shocked, not go up and down.

The fight actually wasn't so bad for a change, though
beast mode Hibiki turning on Tsubasa when she's never done that before
was kind of dumb. Facepalmed at
Chris still being alive
, and never really believed that
Tsubasa had died. It was way too sudden to be believable
. I suppose that next episode, we finally get to see how everyone
bites it

Also, for Envelope: since you were still wondering what the error was in the picture I posted earlier, it's that
Ryouko has two belly buttons
. It was an ugly scene so no wonder you were distracted by the garish backgrounds, lol.

But I just want to make breakfast for you.

And feed you.

And clean you.

kagariyouhavetodoeverything.jpg(s)

cajunator

Banned
Chihayafuru 25-Final

It turns out that
the defending Master really can hear the sound signatures of 28 different cards. Everyone is amazed by this, and Master wins the final match easily, defending his title.
Arata
continues to practice and learn, addint the Master's card layout to his knowledge of the game.
Chihaya
is told by Dektomu that she can statistically recognize 20 cards by the first syllable, similar to how the Master can. Chihaya practices the syllables in front of everyone at School and Kana realizes that she really wants to become a reader.
Naturally, that's not as easy as it sounds.
Taichi
is further inspired to practice and challenged Chihaya to a match.
Meanwhile
The Karuta Club advisor fights the school committee to allow the Karuta club to retain it's space. she promises that they will recruit 5 new members. The
club is given the notice and Kana is happy at the increase of budget. She's so cute.
Chihaya
is then seen putting up Karuta recruitment posters. Beauty in Vain indeed.
What a fucking great series. Certainly one I'll revisit later and will absolutely buy if it is available on disc. I honestly think I like enough to put it on my top ten list. It was that enjoyable.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Symphogear 12:

Also, for Envelope: since you were still wondering what the error was in the picture I posted earlier, it's that
Ryouko has two belly buttons
. It was an ugly scene so no wonder you were distracted by the garish backgrounds, lol.

I think one of those lines
is just supposed to be shading/provide definition. The art is pretty bad though, so it's hard to tell. :(

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I think one of those lines
is just supposed to be shading/provide definition. The art is pretty bad though, so it's hard to tell. :(

I suppose that could be it. For some reason, I'm reminded of the girl with two mouths from Eiken:

My suffer-a-thon may have ground to a complete halt when I was only able to make it through ten minutes before having to pop nerve meds and go to bed early, but at least I got this out of it. It's the girl on the right--when she leans down for some reason, her mouth doesn't move with the rest of her face and a second mouth appears. I promise you it's not a nose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom