• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 |OT -7| My Giant CG Pony Can't Possibly Read This Much Baudelaire

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajunator

Banned
Dammit, somebody posted that infernal pic over on gaming side? Aaaaaaaawwwwwww maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan. What a mess that must've been.

That thread was fun. but really, why are a bunch of sweaty gaming nerds who play embarassing videogames making fun of a bunch of anime nerds who watch an embarassing anime?

That Oreimo thread is starting to hit critical mass.

It was just getting good too :(
Its all Kirino's fault. she ruins everything.

I dunno. It's always the same old crap every time one of these kinds of threads gets made on the gaming side.

Though seeing that Senran Kagura gif again did make me smile ;).

Misa is the only correct choice.

The SK gif just made it go critical mass. It was a stroke of brilliance.
Of all the fucked up shit that gets made as videogames and such, why is it always Oreimo that gets closed?

Little Witch Academia really did save anime! Look at all the potentially cool stuff coming out after its wake!

-New Imaishi anime
-Yuasa short film
-Action KyoAni
-New Watanabe anime
-Mushushi S2

Anime was saved before LWA and will continue to be saved afterwards. The market itself is pretty fucked though.

HAPPENING:
-Houkago no Pleiades getting expanded into a movie
-Kyoukai no Kanata getting expanded into a TV show or OVA

Incoming:
-Swimming Boys anime
-Little Witch Academia theatrical trilogy

Yay! Full length Subie commercial!
Seriously though, I loved Pleiades, so I'm kinda excited.

Whenever I think of Magi, I always think of myself as Aladdin and DTL as Alibaba. Sometimes I say hurtful things because they are true, and it hurts his feelings, but I also do stupid things sometimes and it embarrasses him. But he's always smiling and looking ahead, optimistic and ready to fight the next battle. If he falls, he tries to get stronger, and together we BELIEVE in a better world out there. <3

When I think of Magi, I think of Ren Kougyaku and Mor and I feel like it wasn't totally wasted.

Little Witch Academia is like Mahou Shoujotai Arusu but condensed even further in a "good parts" way.

I mean, she even follows Arusu's Gospel.

It is a LOT like Tweeny witches, which is why LWA is so good.
Speakin of which, I lent that to my friend several months ago and I need to get it back >_

Syrinx

Girls Bravo 16

I'm usually not a fan of ecchi shows like this, but this one's so insane that I can't stop watching.

Needs more Kosome, though.

Metrotab

Banned
Legend of the Galactic Heroes - 38: The Arrow is Loosed

~ At that time, won't justice be on their side instead? ~

dfxb9GB.jpg

I love it when Yang goes into historian mode and tries to analyse political situations. The clear way he does it not only serves a narrative function but makes the lore of this universe feel rational and consistent.
The trio of Poplan-Attenborough-Shennkopf provide a welcome light hearted edge to the galactic chessgame being played right now.
And goddamn the Kaiser needs to get slapped.

Mr.Jeff

Little Witch Academia really did save anime! Look at all the potentially cool stuff coming out after its wake!

-New Imaishi anime
-Yuasa short film
-Action KyoAni
-New Watanabe anime
-Mushushi S2

Say what? Is this the mutterings that someone linked in the thread several weeks back when I first started posting or has there been something new?

I kinda want to do my own (extremely amateurish) rewatch and breakdown of the series in the same style that Metrotab is currently doing with LotGH but I would probably just end up repeating "Hey it looks great and sounds great and is just great so fucking watch it".

Suite Precure Movie
s6V0LC8.png

Man, it's been a while since I had a heart attack. Brings back memories. Or is that just my life flashing before my eyes?

This felt like an elongated episode of the regular series, so I enjoyed it. I guess I'm a scumbag-tier fan for not having one of those light wands.

So is Tweeny Witches actually good? Saw Cajun mention it with regards to LWA and I've been thinking it may fill the LWA shaped void left in my life.
Watched it ages ago and from memory it was very enjoyable up until the climax, which left a bad taste in my mouth for one reason or another.

Jintor

Love Live 13 -END-

I've probably said enough about how good I think the direction is of this show, despite the prototypical premise. I think I might just say instead how much the fucking CG animation creeps me out. The brief moment at the end where the dancing is actually traditionally animated is just so much god damn better than the absolutely creeptastic uncanny valley CG shots.

The way they treat Nico is probably most emblematic of their general approach to the show, I think; she's a hilarious joke for most of it, but when shit gets serious you see how much &#956;s means to her. "&#12377;&#12365;&#12384;&#12363;&#12425;", indeed.

CorvoSol

Full Metal Panic! 11

So Takuma is kinda like a weird, warped inverse Shinji Ikari. Or rather, instead of moping the way Shinji does, Takuma just kinda goes on a killing spree. It's pretty scary. Also, Kalinin is such a
Final
boss. Seina's all TALK and he's all NO I WON'T and she doesn't argue because everybody knows Andrei Kalinin doesn't talk. He just kills you with his amazing grandpa eyes.

Guy is inordinately good looking for an old man.

Oh, and there's some friendship growing between Tessa and Kaname, and also some Kaname and Sousuke PTS Snuggling.

cajunator

Banned
&#9488;(&#65507;&#12526;&#65507;)&#9484;

Already Sucy fanart? I am very OK with this!

Fix it

SucyxDiana OTP

best pairing

Crunchyroll got Nyarko-san: Another Crawling Chaos W!

blurays when?

Am probably the only person here who wants this, but Sentai got Shining Hearts Bread of Happiness.

I think the problem with this show (aside from how incredibly awful it is) is that the one running joke gets boring very quickly. But it does have Xiaomei in it. Not sure if want.

It's worth watching but you'll be disappointed if you expect LWA from it. However, it is notable for being one of the fastest paced anime there is. And it has a good OP theme.

To be fair, LWA only had to be solid for a half hour. Tweeny witches had to maintain excellence for an entire series. I think it did an admirable job of that even if the story fell a little short.

Legend of the Galactic Heroes - 38: The Arrow is Loosed

~ At that time, won't justice be on their side instead? ~

I love it when Yang goes into historian mode and tries to analyse political situations. The clear way he does it not only serves a narrative function but makes the lore of this universe feel rational and consistent.
The trio of Poplan-Attenborough-Shennkopf provide a welcome light hearted edge to the galactic chessgame being played right now.
And goddamn the Kaiser needs to get slapped.
I really should dig into LofGH. I have meant to do so billion times but somehow the colossal amount of episodes and oldish art have scared me so far. Hokuto no Ken helped me last year to overcome old art though. Really enjoyed it.

Taruranto

Ixion Saga #25 - Balls

I wonder how Capcom feels when this will remember as "that anime about penises"

It was not a bad series, but i don't think i would recommend it to anyone unless they are really a fans of these kind of animu (Unlike for example the first season of Bakatesto or B Gata H Kei). I had fun watching it the with the Internet, but like many 20ep+ series of this kind, it often felt like they had problem filling the episodes with jokes.

13 episodes or Senryuu format are the best for this kind of animu.

Galaxy Angel Z 9 (END)

No, it ended again! Z was great, but I like the first season better. S1 hadfunnier episodes mostly due to the reoccurring villains that were treated as different people, plus I like the half episode format a lot better. Z had a few parts that just didn't work/were boring as hell, so that was another contributing factor.

I think there's one more season after this, though I don't think I'm in a hurry to get to it.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Every time CR announces something for Spring that isn't Yuyushiki it saddens me greatly. I'm sure they'll get it (they tend to get most Showgate stuff), but dammit I just want confirmation. =/

GTO 6-7

Onizuka must face the PTA after taking pictures of her daughter. In a strange turn of events, Onizuka is not fired, thanks to the help of 2 3-4 students. That girl Anko is the devil.

I really should dig into LofGH. I have meant to do so billion times but somehow the colossal amount of episodes and oldish art have scared me so far. Hokuto no Ken helped me last year to overcome old art though. Really enjoyed it.

And the insane amount of narrator talk and insane amount of characters, admirals etc. :p

duckroll

Every time CR announces something for Spring that isn't Yuyushiki it saddens me greatly. I'm sure they'll get it (they tend to get most Showgate stuff), but dammit I just want confirmation. =/

There are 5 shows Showgate is hawking this season, and CR has only announced 2 of them. T_T

Yuyushiki only airs next week though, so they probably won't announce it so soon anyway. :(

Syrinx

Girls Bravo 17

Oh wow, Kirie is such a bitch for doing that to Yukinari. Putting him in such a position to work out some extra cash.
I dare say they should sick Kosome on her again, yes definitely.

Why am I watching this again?

CorvoSol

GTO 6-7

Onizuka must face the PTA after taking pictures of her daughter. In a strange turn of events, Onizuka is not fired, thanks to the help of 2 3-4 students. That girl Anko is the devil.

And the insane amount of narrator talk and insane amount of characters, admirals etc. :p

Anko is small potatoes. Kanzaki and Miyabi are the real deal.

cajunator

Banned
Galaxy Angel Z 9 (END)

No, it ended again! Z was great, but I like the first season better. S1 hadfunnier episodes mostly due to the reoccurring villains that were treated as different people, plus I like the half episode format a lot better. Z had a few parts that just didn't work/were boring as hell, so that was another contributing factor.

I think there's one more season after this, though I don't think I'm in a hurry to get to it.

Theres more than that!

Galaxy Angel A/AA, S, and X. I wouldn't recommend trying to watch all of it because thats like another 100 episodes.

Metrotab

Banned

I'm not good at describing art styles and how I feel about them, but the art of LoGH is 'just right' for the tone of the series. Realistic, but slightly Romantic (especially when picturing the Empire). I think it's one of the many charms of the series.

And yeah, 110 episodes sounds like a lot but the pacing is great so far (no boring stretches of filler like with, I dunno, Pokemon or something) and it actually got pretty addicting to watch it. I'm glad there are 60+ episodes left!

Andrew J.

Magi 25 FINAL

I have a question for manga readers:

I'm inclined to distrust any character played by Akira Ishida. Are my instincts right in this case?

/XX/

A few other things about [Little Witch Academia] that I thought were worth bringing up:
Nice points brought up, as always!

Audio Direction: I notice this hasn't been brought up in the comments but I suppose that's not really surprising. The most appealing part about this property is definitely the eye candy but we're really doing this OVA a disservice by neglecting to mention how strong the sound design is.
Yeah, and one of the things most obviously noticeable on the credits is that a French post-production studio was in charge of it (http://inkproduction.fr/)... with Cristhophe Héral of Beyond Good & Evil fame! That kind of overseas outsourcing for big-budget works reminded me of Production I.G and their recent outings with Skywalker Sound (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=42628595&postcount=656).

Another thing I found interesting from the credits is that Hiroyuki Imaishi & Hiromi Wakabayashi were involved on 'story creation assistance'. Practically all the GEEKS were collaborating one way or the other on this project... except for, Sushio?

Anything would have looked impressive after that god-awful Libera Me From Hell video.
Mr. Yamaga did it because no one had the guts to do a video with that song out of respect for it and what it meant (or at least that was what he said), they left him with no choice!
Later they used that theme as accompaniment to Mr. Yoshinari's intro video for the second movie, and it went so well with it one could maybe think that was another half-lie from Mr. Yamaga all along!

Not even Sushio's or Akemi Hayashi's? I'm disappointed!
Trust me, I tried to convince him...

7Th

Another thing I found interesting from the credits is that Hiroyuki Imaishi & Hiromi Wakabayashi were involved on 'story creation assistance'. Practically all the GEEKS were collaborating one way or the other on this project... except for, Sushio?

Sushio is clearly too busy getting ready for his directorial debut with MomoKuro: The Animation.

duckroll

Not really that surprising imo. Sushio isn't part of Trigger, he does his own freelance work as an illustrator, but Imaishi and Wakabayashi are both full time Trigger employees. Wakabayashi has been involved with writing and scenario stuff on pretty much everything Trigger has produced, and Imaishi is the studio's creative head. I think it makes sense that at the very least, they'll be the two people who do concept approvals for anything the studio is working on.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Octave
7W0pVFwl.jpg

Wow, I never thought this yuri manga would get adapted. The heart warming story of a female singer bonding with an idol manager while exploring their sexuality and their place in society!

Oh who am I kidding...

UtaPri S2 1
painDD3l.jpg

I will say, it's ballsy of them to add
three new guys to the harem
, as if there weren't enough already.

Perhaps the biggest change, at least from what I can remember, is that the tone of the show is entirely different. It seems like a fairly generic and happy romcom, with a greater emphasis on the comedy, than the first season. No bullying, no shyness, no crazy rules and ultimatums (relatively speaking, I mean)... instead, it's wacky faces, characters hitting their generic notes (tee hee) and a fairly boring and pleasant palette/tone.

But hey, at least the girl still has dead, soulless eyes!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom