• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 |OT -7| My Giant CG Pony Can't Possibly Read This Much Baudelaire

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ultimadrago

Is Jehxius's OreImo S2 OT going to be reopened?

arnoldstare4jurz.gif

Uta Prince 2000% 01

Ughhhhhh, fuck that opening. What's the point of even having music if it is going to get DROWN out by screaming girls.

Man, this is turning into a romcom, with the faces, and the comedy and the meeting every single boy in a 7 minutes flat. At least she ran for the cat.

I like the ED at least.

Magi 25 (end)
tumblr_mkky3qoY911rm0oe4o2_250.gif

Really awesome end to this arc. I always like when such a route is pursued in series and it was just really fitting. The major concluding moments really set this arc above the previous one and gives it a much better start than other longer series of manga in the demographic and genre.
A friendship "alibaba whom I love end" and even with the handholding there and replicating their moments from the first half, in addition to the awkward yet touching thank you moment at the end, was just really heartwarming and sweet. Amazing

Unfortunately, I think fans had and still overhype the Magi franchise a bit. Magi doesnt reallyset itself up above other series and I cant see what people embrace and praise about it over other works. Anyway what is excellent here though were the characters, Judar is easily as Ive said a bit before in the highest echelon of character designs Ive encountered. There is just absolutely nothing wrong about him and he looks fantastic. Every single moment of his screentime is just plain exciting. I also liked Ren Hakuryu, Aladdin, Cassim. Sinbad to a certain extent, though feels like he could be from any other series truth be told, not unique.

Soundtrack is fantastic and must be praised and commended, its as good as Blast of Tempests. Overall 8 / 10, will buy when Aniplex of America releases.

CorvoSol

So I need to just take some high octane doses of good shows tonight, as I intend to steamroll through all my homework for one class as well. As such, I'll be doing both in one go.

Mobile Fighter G Gundam

HOW MANY PEOPLE HAVE TO DIE FOR THIS! Oh man, I just. Oh man. See this is why it's stupid when modern Gundam shows kill off characters ad nauseum. I'm not saying mooks, but people who're given some share of the plot. In total, somewhere between 6-7 characters have died here, with like, 8 max over the course of the series. All of them were incredibly important characters, and their "deaths" have been significant to the plot, and meaningful to the characters to boot.

You know what really makes this show, though? Not the animation or the plot, but the MUSIC. When a melancholy version of the Burning theme began, just before Domon delivered the final blow, it was awesome. Freaking THIS SHOW.

So it turns out the other Shuffle Guys are alive, but judging from the fact that THE ANNOUNCER just choked back a tear, I'm betting that's not true of every sacrifice made here today.

HOLY CRAP WONG'S EXIT WAS DARK. Almost as dark as Rain stuffing a loaded gun into Allenby's mouth and FIRING. Also, Master Asia's plan is brilliant and tragic at the same time. Loads better than So-Called-Genius Aeolia Schenberg's "plan" or Ezelcant's last minute mustache twirler.

MASTER AAAAAASIAAAAAA!
That has got to be the very best, most meaningful death I've ever seen in a Gundam show. Oh my GOSH did they do that perfectly. Build up this man, Master Asia, into something I thought for certain we were to hate, make him out to be a total monster, and then, in the end, tear it all down, piece by piece. Show us that he was a man who looked at the damage mankind's false wars had done to the world and, tasked with maintaining order in it, despaired. Show us that he was good, and he loved Domon until the end, and make them send him off together, with one final lesson. Build Master Asia as the perfect monster, and then tear him down until he is the most human of villains this series has ever known. Juxtaposed with the terrible fiend that Dr. Mikamura and Mj. Ulube turned out to be, Master Asia has been a truly noble villain.

Only one image can sum up so glorious a reversal and so emotional an end to so excellent a character:

I just need to be alone for a minute to think about why other villains aren't as mother effing awesome as MASTER ASIA, THE UNDEFEATED OF THE EAST.

Red Data Girl 01

Not a good first episode. I don't really need to watch anymore meek girl rediscover herself shows and there's really nothing going on besides hair.

And I was promise shinto stuff. Where's my shinto stuff.

yami4ct

Gintama' Four Devas of Kabuikcho Arc

The way you guys were hyping this up, I was expecting to be disappointed. That's typically the way it goes. Fortunately, I was not. Wow, what an amazing arc. So wonderfully executed. It's as close to perfection as Gintama has gotten. Funny comedy, stunning animation, great emotion, it had it all. Just so much fun. The way all the characters from the little Kabuki side stories all came together for this was great.

If I had a couple, super minor, complaints the first would be it honestly felt a bit too short. There were aspects they could have shown us a bit more of and just let it breath. The massive battles would have worked better if they were a hair longer. Another thing is the Four Devas were really poorly setup. Their existence felt cobbled together and really MacGuffin-y. They could have really used like an episode or two in a previous arc to set up and establish their presence. My most major complaint is I sort of hated Pirako. Her personality was annoying and terrible. Honestly, I'm surprised her emotional journey and story ended up working for me as I really didn't like her. Shows the real strength of the writing here to accomplish that.

Overall, so awesome. I haven't felt this super jazzed about Gintama since Benizakura. I've always loved it, but nothing has reached that level for me until Four Devas.

Finally, Samurai Heart (Some Like it Hot) is amazing and possibly my favorite piece of Gintama music. Goes so well with the arc.

jbug617

Banned
Uta No Prince-sama: Maji Love 2000% 1

I have no knowledge of the series before watching but this is a harem show for girls right? Haruka's eyes bother me for some reason. I had the same problem with Yuri Yuri. The idols seem okay, I expect there will be a lot of comedic moments. Probably won't stick with it.

Gintama' Four Devas of Kabuikcho Arc

The way you guys were hyping this up, I was expecting to be disappointed. That's typically the way it goes. Fortunately, I was not. Wow, what an amazing arc. So wonderfully executed. It's as close to perfection as Gintama has gotten. Funny comedy, stunning animation, great emotion, it had it all. Just so much fun. The way all the characters from the little Kabuki side stories all came together for this was great.

If I had a couple, super minor, complaints the first would be it honestly felt a bit too short. There were aspects they could have shown us a bit more of and just let it breath. The massive battles would have worked better if they were a hair longer. Another thing is the Four Devas were really poorly setup. Their existence felt cobbled together and really MacGuffin-y. They could have really used like an episode or two in a previous arc to set up and establish their presence. My most major complaint is I sort of hated Pirako. Her personality was annoying and terrible. Honestly, I'm surprised her emotional journey and story ended up working for me as I really didn't like her. Shows the real strength of the writing here to accomplish that.

Overall, so awesome. I haven't felt this super jazzed about Gintama since Benizakura. I've always loved it, but nothing has reached that level for me until Four Devas.

Finally, Samurai Heart (Some Like it Hot) is amazing and possibly my favorite piece of Gintama music. Goes so well with the arc.

The 4 deva arc is a mix of everything that works well in gintama ... even if it has some problems the fact that all the good things are at the top of their game just make this arc so great.
The music ... the music and then you had this superb swordman , 3 conflicting stories and a lot of tears .. The masterfull execution of the really important part finished the rest.

Did i said that the music was freaking awesome ?

Nanoha StrikerS 2 (rewatch)

So we now know that Hayate put together her own elite magical lesbian squad in the Space Bureau because they're all tired of doing paperwork instead of befriending people/saving the universe. The other new main characters Caro and Erio are also introduced, and they're no replacement for loli Nanoha and Fate. This gon' be a tough rewatch.

Choosing to rewatch StrikerS knowing how bad it is? You're a braver man than I.

So I need to just take some high octane doses of good shows tonight, as I intend to steamroll through all my homework for one class as well. As such, I'll be doing both in one go.

Mobile Fighter G Gundam

HOW MANY PEOPLE HAVE TO DIE FOR THIS! Oh man, I just. Oh man. See this is why it's stupid when modern Gundam shows kill off characters ad nauseum. I'm not saying mooks, but people who're given some share of the plot. In total, somewhere between 6-7 characters have died here, with like, 8 max over the course of the series. All of them were incredibly important characters, and their "deaths" have been significant to the plot, and meaningful to the characters to boot.

You know what really makes this show, though? Not the animation or the plot, but the MUSIC. When a melancholy version of the Burning theme began, just before Domon delivered the final blow, it was awesome. Freaking THIS SHOW.

So it turns out the other Shuffle Guys are alive, but judging from the fact that THE ANNOUNCER just choked back a tear, I'm betting that's not true of every sacrifice made here today.

HOLY CRAP WONG'S EXIT WAS DARK. Almost as dark as Rain stuffing a loaded gun into Allenby's mouth and FIRING. Also, Master Asia's plan is brilliant and tragic at the same time. Loads better than So-Called-Genius Aeolia Schenberg's "plan" or Ezelcant's last minute mustache twirler.

MASTER AAAAAASIAAAAAA!
That has got to be the very best, most meaningful death I've ever seen in a Gundam show. Oh my GOSH did they do that perfectly. Build up this man, Master Asia, into something I thought for certain we were to hate, make him out to be a total monster, and then, in the end, tear it all down, piece by piece. Show us that he was a man who looked at the damage mankind's false wars had done to the world and, tasked with maintaining order in it, despaired. Show us that he was good, and he loved Domon until the end, and make them send him off together, with one final lesson. Build Master Asia as the perfect monster, and then tear him down until he is the most human of villains this series has ever known. Juxtaposed with the terrible fiend that Dr. Mikamura and Mj. Ulube turned out to be, Master Asia has been a truly noble villain.

Only one image can sum up so glorious a reversal and so emotional an end to so excellent a character:

I just need to be alone for a minute to think about why other villains aren't as mother effing awesome as MASTER ASIA, THE UNDEFEATED OF THE EAST.

Oh god, those two episodes are some of the most devastating stuff out there. The way they handle those deaths is just beautiful. Even though you know those characters won't survive to the end, you can't expect it to hit you quite so hard. Especially not with Master Asia. They manage to turn the character around so many times throughout the show.

Enjoy the ride of the last few episodes. The ending of the show is incredible.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Uta No Prince-sama: Maji Love 2000% 1

I have no knowledge of the series before watching but this is a harem show for girls right? Haruka's eyes bother me for some reason. I had the same problem with Yuri Yuri. The idols seem okay, I expect there will be a lot of comedic moments. Probably won't stick with it.

She has dead eyes. That's just how it is. lol

I haven't no. Is it really that amazing? Haha.
Well, it's "amazing". lol

I listened to all of the fourth podcast you did as well. It turns out it was that one in which you guys talked about Chihayafuru. Just quickly about the foreign looking team and how great the soundtrack is.

The thing that blew your mind is that apparently there's some character named Han, I think that was it, in all or most of the Fast and the Furious movies and his character also appears in some movie Better Luck Tomorrow. I don't think I'd heard of that one so I had to look it up.
Yeah, I had no idea Han was an export from Better Luck Tomorrow. It's funny though, because as much as I like the fact that Justin Lin is a "mainstream" director now (along with the GI Joe guy, I guess), he's basically never allowed to make another Asian angst movie ever again. Keeping Han alive is the best he can do... even though he's supposed to be dead. lol

The other guys don't post on NeoGaf but they seem to be watching a lot of the same shows overall as people here, like Love Live!, haha. I'm actually surprised at how much you guys wound up talking about the show in the two, do you call them episodes for a podcast?, that I've listened to. You started with that Kotaru or something in this one that different ones here are watching but I'm personally not so I couldn't really follow the conversation. After that I think I was watching all the shows you guys were commenting on.

I was actually surprised when Crazy Canuck mentioned that he didn't recall any problems with the art for episode 18 or whatever it was for Psycho Pass. It wasn't even a case of being nitpicking but more along the lines of being really obvious like the missing animation in that episode of Magi. He seems to share the general opinion that Steins;Gate is better than Robotics;Notes and that it has some interesting ideas but they don't all come together and the show just takes too long for anything major to happen.

I haven't played the games you guys were talking about, like the Souls games and Revengance but I'd like to try them as they're more the type that I'm into. That and having similar opinions on the PS4 conference reveal thing.

Haha, have you seen the thread about that guy from GameTrailers getting his own quick little show starting with comments about that? He was pretty funny. Talking about the guy from sucker punch being so bad and acting like "You think the government is bad now...but what if there were superheroes!? What if YOU were a superhero?" haha.
For the most part, we all seem to watch different shows (and Kurt doesn't watch any shows) so it works out in that regard. Love Live and Kotoura-san were the weird crossovers that we could talk about because we just had that in common (except, of course, there really isn't much to talk about with those shows).

Seeing the Chris Hecker GDC Rant video reminded me of the absurdity of the Sucker Punch guy and his stupid intro for an Infamous game that no one cares about. CAMERAS ARE WATCHING US NOW HERE ARE SOME SUPERHEROES THAT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH WHAT I JUST SAID. Videogames really are worse than anime. :p

Oh yeah, you guys talking about live action adaptations and Crazy Canuck joking "Everyone's hair is brown(or maybe it was black)" reminded me of a trailer for one of the live action Higurashi no naku koro ni movies that I watched on YouTube and different ones were actually complaining that the one girl, named Mion, didn't have green hair, haha. Others were responding that it would just be dumb since it's live action, haha.

I think I'll maybe go back to the first one and listen to them in order now.
It's funny, because everyone has either light brown, brown, or black hair in jdramas, it's all about hairstyles to differentiate between the characters. So in a way, it's still like anime. :p

CorvoSol

Who were the 4 Kings of the Dark Gundam, though? Michelo, Chapman, Master Asia and his horse? It can't be
Allenby
because Master Asia refers to the 4 kings and is surprised by her appearance.

yami4ct

So hey guys, after a long break I'm picking One Piece back up where I left off, the Amazon Lily Arc. I'm also going to finally check out the movies. I know Strong World is well regarded, but what else should I see?

Inferior to A's AND pretty much changed the whole formula of the show for the worse.

it was just a different perspective ... i liked that they tried to go in a way to explain the world in detail ... striker only problem is the huge cast that leave so little time to devellop them all properly .. even with this change of perspective they still tried to do aerial battles and beam spamming ( wait is it befriending ? )

Furthermore, striker made vivid possible :)

I like strikers despite the flaws ..the trio nanoha , fate , vivio was great and the knights got their time to shine ( vita & signum ) and the new cast wasn't bad , they just didn't have time to be properly exposed.

i welcome that they tried to change things in nanoha .. doing more of the same as a's wouldn't have made them go far IMO

Saint Seiya Omega 51
tumblr_mkp5xmxGYe1r1n5pqo1_500.gif

Really awesome episode after the initial portion. Loved hearing Koga and his minor reflection and just the whole thing on believing and having to keep going so he cant let his friends down and still feeling the pain of harming them before. They need to have more fights of this caliber, so much Cosmo burning and flowing and such that
your clothes are just being shredded and you start to lose them. Koga was just so amazing all throughout and I hope its kept onto the next season. It really added a special and memorable touch to the scenes.

Best fanart

Excited for the new prospects of the next season.

Saint Seiya Omega 51
Excited for the new prospects of the next season.

Ok finale but they better be carefull what they do in the new season because there were nice thing in the first that they totally ignored for the end with some character doing a nice backflip. Also eden was so underused.. they have to correct this.

Cuz I know how much yall love SAO.

From,
Kayos with <3s lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHLOdii1_1k

Wait simon was in the game ? i thought only suzuha made it in this version ?

it was just a different perspective ... i liked that they tried to go in a way to explain the world in detail ... striker only problem is the huge cast that leave so little time to devellop them all properly .. even with this change of perspective they still tried to do aerial battles and beam spamming ( wait is it befriending ? )

Furthermore, striker made vivid possible :)

I like strikers despite the flaws ..the trio nanoha , fate , vivio was great and the knights got their time to shine ( vita & signum ) and the new cast wasn't bad , they just didn't have time to be properly exposed.

i welcome that they tried to change things in nanoha .. doing more of the same as a's wouldn't have made them go far IMO

I'm doing this rewatch mostly because I can only remember so much from the show anymore. I remember I was incredibly bored for the majority of the first half and then some for the lackluster fights and training episode after training episode. It got good when
Subaru went crazy and was revealed to be an android. And the rest of the episodes after Vivio was kidnapped were great
. I think they easily could have done another storyline while they were still growing up in their city, and The Movie 3rd might just prove it.

Oh god they blink. How is that I've never encountered blinking CGs until now? Truly this is a revolution in visual novel technology. SAO on the bleeding edge as always.

Oreimo already had those i think .

I'm doing this rewatch mostly because I can only remember so much from the show anymore. I remember I was incredibly bored for the majority of the first half and then some for the lackluster fights and training episode after training episode. It got good when
Subaru went crazy and was revealed to be an android. And the rest of the episodes after Vivio was kidnapped were great
. I think they easily could have done another storyline while they were still growing up in their city, and The Movie 3rd might just prove it.

Well they were busy doing world building with training sessions when people wanted fihgts right away ... also scallietti drones were the lamest ennemies ever.
Once the numbers show up and they finally start to actually tell a story and introduce antagonists , everything was fine.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXhBSnuG8-s

&#65340;(&#12539;&#969;&#12539;&#65340;)SAN&#20516;&#65281;(&#65295;&#12539;&#969;&#12539;)&#65295;&#12500;&#12531;&#12481;&#65281;&#65279;
&#65340;(&#12539;&#969;&#12539;&#65340;)SAN&#20516;&#65281;(&#65295;&#12539;&#969;&#12539;)&#65295;&#12500;&#12531;&#12481;&#65281;&#65279;

So hey guys, after a long break I'm picking One Piece back up where I left off, the Amazon Lily Arc. I'm also going to finally check out the movies. I know Strong World is well regarded, but what else should I see?

Movie 4 is great and movie 6 is a very interesting dark take on the series, though it feels VERY strange for a One Piece movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom