• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2017 |OT| Don't be a SukaSuka for Gacha

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Blade

Damm...I kinda miss the fun time with Amagami SS series. I guess the special is the last thing to watch and then I am now off to another show.

Damm...I kinda miss the fun time with Amagami SS series. I guess the special is the last thing to watch and then I am now off to another show.
None of the shows that try to be like Amagami quite reach the heights of what Amagami did in terms of fun and having lovable characters. Photo Kano tried but ultimately didn't have as much of an entertaining cast, the latest Seiren which is considered a sequel (spiritual/cannonical I guess?) was the worst of the two, with two terrible arcs plus a very mediocre last one with a childhood friend. In general I wish we had more shows like Amagami, that took on different routes with different characters, but it seems that if you want more of that you are just better off reading/playing a VN.

None of the shows that try to be like Amagami quite reach the heights of what Amagami did in terms of fun and having lovable characters. Photo Kano tried but ultimately didn't have as much of an entertaining cast, the latest Seiren which is considered a sequel (spiritual/cannonical I guess?) was the worst of the two, with two terrible arcs plus a very mediocre last one with a childhood friend. In general I wish we had more shows like Amagami, that took on different routes with different characters, but it seems that if you want more of that you are just better off reading/playing a VN.
Yosuga no Sora did the omnibus format well.

It also did other things well...

Akashic record 1 dub

Yea that was mediocre. While the show did look good and had a pleasant style to the eye, I have mixed feelings on the teacher and how he acts. Also those girls uniform are hummm, annoying to look at. Now that I saw it, I'm not really surprised as to why my brother liked it.

Yea I kew this reminded me of something! Sky wizard Academy and that world break one! I think the leads have the same VA too.

Caesnd

Legendary designer and illustrator Kazutaka Miyatake has a new - comprehensive - illustration and design collection book coming out.

http://www.news2u.net/releases/153498

Fans of sci-fi anime/sci-fi in general owe it to themselves to get this book:

Amazon.co.jp product page link

Naoyuki Kato (another legendary sci-fi illustrator) tweeted that the reason the book was delayed from early february until now was because Miyatake continued to cram new work into the book until the very end!

Miyatake is in my opinion one of the most underrated contributors to anime and sci fi design work. I hope this raises some awareness both in Japan and abroad, even if he himself might be reluctant towards it.

Akashic record 1 dub

Yea that was mediocre. While the show did look good and had a pleasant style to the eye, I have mixed feelings on the teacher and how he acts. Also those girls uniform are hummm, annoying to look at. Now that I saw it, I'm not really surprised as to why my brother liked it.

Yea I kew this reminded me of something! Sky wizard Academy and that world break one! I think the leads have the same VA too.

Sky wizard was first I thought of and Anti Magic Academy 35th Platoon in some ways, but really its only because the lead becomes teacher to some rather prolifc character, actually could probably name many other magic school shows.

Joe Molotov

Revolutionary Girl Utena 01 - 03

2hdQ3h3.jpg

Anthy slap counter: 4

This show is still so good, y'all.

Akashic record 1 dub

If you thought that was mediocre then it really only gets worse. Wife and I initially liked the first episode, but after that it kinda abandons a lot of the comedy, character development, and just speeds through to the main plot without any build up. I think I read on here, or somewhere else, that they cover the first light novel volume in just three episodes.

Line_HTX

Akashic record 1 dub

This is the same VA for Masamune-kun, right?

Cornbread78

Yosuga no Sora did the omnibus format well.
It also did other things well...

Some day I will have the balls to go back and check it out, but the ending moments from episode 1 when twin sis entered the room and asked him to make her c%^* that was enough to send me running for the hills (the "daydreams" were bad enough, but then.....)

Yup, I almost broke my phone that day.... I was still naïve back then...

If you thought that was mediocre then it really only gets worse. Wife and I initially liked the first episode, but after that it kinda abandons a lot of the comedy, character development, and just speeds through to the main plot without any build up. I think I read on here, or somewhere else, that they cover the first light novel volume in just three episodes.
Yea I had a feeling. I just wanted to try it out since it got a dub, but with that first episode I'm out.
This is the same VA for Masamune-kun, right?
You are right and from a quick check-up my Sky Wizard MC VA guess was wrong.

Also cool, the guy voices Tokoyami from MHA!

Line_HTX

Some day I will have the balls to go back and check it out, but the ending moments from episode 1 when twin sis entered the room and asked him to make her c%^* that was enough to send me running for the hills (the "daydreams" were bad enough, but then.....)

Oh, you weren't broken into at the time, right?

:p

must watch anime

John Blade

What you guys are watching? some loli stuff for brother love? This is why I avoid those type of anime as I fear it might make me hate anime even more than I am as of now.

Just going through SS+ Special right now and that's it for this series.

Line_HTX

I had heard about it at the time and avoided it by reading some random bloggers' reactions blowing up. Saved the time and energy.

Cornbread78

Oh, you weren't broken into at the time, right?
:p

Correct..
This about sums up that moment:
tenor.gif

must watch anime

o'really? I heard he nails a chick per arc, ending twin sis....

What you guys are watching? some loli stuff for brother love? This is why I avoid those type of anime as I fear it might make me hate anime even more than I am as of now.

Not quite loli level, but siscon/twincon $hit for sure.

What show are you off to next? Have you watched Anohana yet?

lbsa

The Tatami Galaxy 02-03

So basicly this is a "what if" type of show. Can't say i've expected that but,sure why not.

For the longest time I thought figurines are silly but now with my Umi Sonoda looking at me with her cute smile... I still think that figurines are silly.

Clov

I officially bought my first nendoroid...how deep does the well goes from here?

One of the MHA nendoroids I'm guessing?

Also, welcome to hell! Nendoroids are a lot of fun to collect, and they're generally not too expensive either. I have more of them than any other figure line. I haven't gotten any for a while (the last one I got I think was the Leona West nendoroid in from Pripara, in their fortune party outfit), but I plan on looking for that Viktor nendoroid when I head to Japan.

John Blade

Not quite loli level, but siscon/twincon $hit for sure.

What show are you off to next? Have you watched Anohana yet?

Don't know about Anohana but do have a list of show I will be watching for a flight I be going (16+ hrs plus 3 hours wait in the airport transfer and 4+ hours to my destination). The list is below.

Kamichu
Maison Ikkoku (few episode only)
Summer Wars
Super Atragon
Wolf Children
Yukikaze

As of now, just finish SS+ special and one episode of Maison Ikkoku and then wonder if I should start watching one of the movie or not here.

300 yen wasn't the crazy investment it was even quite the deal to get me into the wonderful world of idol culture.

But I don't think I will ever get another one.
(Maybe if they have a cute Chihaya figurine but I guess I'm years too late for the OG train)

DiGiKerot

300 yen wasn't the crazy investment it was even quite the deal to get me into the wonderful world of idol culture.

(Maybe if they have a cute Chihaya figurine but I guess I'm years too late for the OG train)

They still do 765Pro All-Stars figures - even prize figures occasionally. Never too late to get on that idol train.

Clov

Sites like Rakuten and Mandarake have older figures and merchandise on them, usually for pretty good prices. I even got myself a plush of Makochi from Rakuten a while back. You should take a look!

Don't know about Anohana but do have a list of show I will be watching for a flight I be going (16+ hrs plus 3 hours wait in the airport transfer and 4+ hours to my destination). The list is below.

As of now, just finish SS+ special and one episode of Maison Ikkoku and then wonder if I should start watching one of the movie or not here.

Watch AnoHana!

It's never too late. Check in the pre-owned stores next time you're in Akiba ;P

Cornbread78

Kino's Journey ep.5
Man, some of these countries are so fu(ked up... I don't even know what Kino can get out of the visit when strolling through.

Kamichu
Maison Ikkoku (few episode only)
Summer Wars
Super Atragon
Wolf Children
Yukikaze

Yeah, you should definitely watch Anohana on this trip! Cross Game as well...

Wolf Children is an excellent movie, but I haven't seen the rest of those yet. Summer Wars is a must watch for me, but I keep putting off buying the Blu-ray...

Don't make me feel even worse about not knowing if I can travel to Japan this fall or even this year.

And I don't know if I can just buy one online. I need the additional Akiba or Nakano experience!

John Blade

Watch AnoHana!

Well...would like to but don't own the show in Blu-Ray yet.

Yeah, you should definitely watch Anohana on this trip! Cross Game as well...

Wolf Children is an excellent movie, but I haven't seen the rest of those yet. Summer Wars is a must watch for me, but I keep putting off buying the Blu-ray...

For me, I will stick with my backlogged of anime I own in my collection. I guess the one I am going to watch this year (if I don't fatigue), is Patlabor franchise but I need to know which one should I go watch 1st. I own the entire Blu-ray collection but need to find a time to watch it. The flight might be the best way to get into it.

Vic_Viper

Havent been following Anime for awhile. Think the last shows I watched were Knight of Sidonia and Ajin. Cant wait for BLAME! Really hope they go back and finish Knights of Sidonia with a season 3. Although I would really like to see them do a Biomega show. Theres nothing like it other than the BLAME! If it does well enough, I really hope Biomega is next on their list. Also started watching Blue Exorcist. Its pretty good, but I lost interest at the time. Need to go back and finish it soon.

Are there any good shows out atm that are similar to Psycho Pass, Ghost in the Shell, Kekkai Sensen or even Death Note? Something set in a near future Cyber Punk setting?

zulux21

Maid Dragon end

while most of the episodes were just watchable to me, the final episode was actually pretty fun. Overall if you are into cute girls doing cute things you will likely enjoy this one, if not well there are worse ones to watch :p

Masamune-kun no Revenge end
eh, it was enjoyable enough to watch the same way nisekoi was enjoyable enough to watch. The main girl is a garbage girl that needs to be thrown away just like nisekoi and the alternative girl is clearly a better choice. In nisekoi though the alt girl was nice but not a great fit for the main character. in Masamune the alt girl was a great fit for the main character thus I chose to believe that in the next episode (that never airs) the main character realizes he is dumb and just runs off with Neko Fujinomiya.

Havent been following Anime for awhile. Think the last shows I watched were Knight of Sidonia and Ajin. Cant wait for BLAME! Really hope they go back and finish Knights of Sidonia with a season 3. Although I would really like to see them do a Biomega show. Theres nothing like it other than the BLAME! If it does well enough, I really hope Biomega is next on their list. Also started watching Blue Exorcist. Its pretty good, but I lost interest at the time. Need to go back and finish it soon.

Are there any good shows out atm that are similar to Psycho Pass, Ghost in the Shell, Kekkai Sensen or even Death Note? Something set in a near future Cyber Punk setting?

maybe give ergo proxy a look?

John Blade

Watching Kino is kinda making me want to go back and finish Mushishi...

I have two words for you:

Overnight Shipping

Will be too late as I am out in 24 hours from now so, I won't get it during the trip even if I want to.

Also, need to get though my backlogged of anime which is big as of now (124 animes to go in my backlogged while 181 animes have watch and finish).

Cornbread78

Welcome brotha.

Not really cyber punk, but maybe Code Geass or Full Metal Alchemist?

Alright, alright... Definitely when you get back then!

BTW, what else do you have in backlog that you could bring. We'll make a priority list for you, lol.

JBoPr0U.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom