• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2017 |OT| Don't be a SukaSuka for Gacha

Status
Not open for further replies.

JulianImp

Gah, sorry for not tagging spoilers. I kind of remembered corn's let's watch and mistakenly believed most people in here had watched it from there.

I kind of liked it, but didn't find the constant escalation all that interesting or funny. I'd probably have liked a show like what we got to see during the the earlier and later episodes rather than what was in the middle, since I'm not really a sentai fan, so the fanservice kind of flew over my head in a pretty unremarkable way.

Gundam Build Fighters Try Episode 12
C_b_Vr9_Vo_AEWHNn.jpg

Man, that is like half the cast on this show.

So episode 12 of Try is somewhat emblematic of everything wrong with the show. Perhaps the most frustrating aspect of that however is that it manages to actually show some genuine emotion in a season totally bereft of it, and for once, actually got me to somewhat care for a character I had written off. So the team was just wiped out by Adou Saga who I guess is Yumma's old nemesis. The reason why I'm guessing is well...

Flashback.
C_4_X2_LXYAI_s_RW.jpg

Present day.
C_6_KPk_UAAEbs_Vs.jpg

Wut?

....right. They don't even sound alike. Still I don't think Yuuma forgot his old foe, so I'm guessing this guy is the real deal. (Random thoughts. Did Saga really need to solo these dweebs to come off like a threat? Why does his new Gunpla look less threatening than his old one?) Anyway, so Saga rekts everyone's shit, and it's a big downer for the team. Sekai passes out (which everyone is weirdly relaxed about), Yuuma runs away, and Fumina....is there.
C_cx_Qu_UMAA-_GJl.jpg

Remember when Gunpla was about fun?

Perhaps the most confounding thing about Try is that it doesn't make Gunpla battling seem like fun. It really doesn't. The community surrounding Gunpla in Try is about as inviting and friendly as the Dota/Counter Strike community, and hell, you don't have to deal with those fuckers in person. Yuuma in particular honestly seems like he would be happier just building Gunpla, maybe finally dealing with Try's even more annoying version of Mao. There's not enough of a relationship between the Try team to seem like he's getting anything out of this, beside maybe getting it on with Sekai's sister. Call me crazy, but one thing I really liked about the first season was just how in love everyone was with Gunpla. It was infectious. It made the characters expressive, and often amusing. Everyone in Try seems to think "Yeah, Gunpla is alright. I guess. It's something to do."
DAAB1j7_UQAAgnb_Z.jpg

Alright that's pretty good.

This, one, scene, has more genuine emotion in it than the rest of the season. It's certainly the most we've ever gotten out of Yuuma, which is a problem in of itself, but it's something. It actually makes me want to see Yuuma triumph over his rival. The sad thing is, it's not enough to save the episode, especially with the weird way it closes on Fumina. What do you mean Fumina needs to improve? Despite not really being a builder, she managed to make the Winning Gundam, which is perhaps the appropriate name for a Gundam ever. Also the show is still just hurling characters at the viewer. Was this guy introduced and I forgot? Who the fuck are these three?

Natsume Roku 6

A nice focus on "those two guys", Nishimura and Kitamoto. An interesting episode from their perspective, with absolutely no direct youkai appearances. It's pretty clear that they, like Touko, know something is going on with Natsume but just don't let it bother them. While Natsume does seem a bit distant with them, he really is grateful for their friendship, and that's a really pleasant thing to see.

I like episodes like these.

Szadek

Zero kara Hajimeru Mahou no Sho 06

I don't blame Tiger for distrusting Zero. I mean of course he'd have a drop of doubt in his heart about her intentions. Her people regularly put his people's heads on a spike.
Yeah, Zero was pretty dump.
"You don't fully trust a strange witch you found in a forest somewhere that you know for like a months, after witches tried to kill you your entire life?
Let's disband our party."

Narag

Gundam Build Fighters Try Episode 12
This, one, scene, has more genuine emotion in it than the rest of the season.

That's the scene that recovered the first series' sense of intimacy in the encounters. Try is really guilty of impersonal fights and it would have been better off with more one on one scenarios to draw out the characterization since the team dynamic failed entirely when attempted there.

That's the scene that recovered the first series' sense of intimacy in the encounters. Try is really guilty of impersonal fights and it would have been better off with more one on one scenarios to draw out the characterization since the team dynamic failed entirely when attempted there.

I think what the first season did really well was set up its characters before they clashed with the leads. The first 10 episodes of GBF mostly just introduce the cast. There's really not that much focus on the qualifying matches. Many characters in those first 10 episodes got multiple scenes establishing their personalities and style of Gunpla. GBF had very few throwaway characters. By contrast, Try has loads of them.

Little Witch Academia Episode 19
It's sweet seeing how, even when claiming Diana is her rival, Akko cares about Diana. I like that Diana had always dreamed about being the one to revive the Words and is struggling to come to terms with the idea that it can't be her. Still, I feel like it will be Diana that helps Akko get the next Word.

Zero kara Hajimeru Mahou no Sho Episode 6
Zero and the Mercenary are so willing to just let the kid get killed, wtf. I understand they don't really know each other well, but he's still just an innocent kid. Like others have said, I also think Zero overreacted, but we all know this will get straightened out if not next episode, then soon.

Kyoukai no RINNE 3 Episode 6
I've held out with this show for three seasons in the hope of finally getting some romantic development between Rinne and Sakura and it has yet to happen. I'm getting really frustrated. Definitely the weakest of Rumiko Takahashi's works.

Oushitsu Kyoushi Haine Episode 7
There's something really charming about this show, and I'd like it even if there was no conspiratorial subplot. But the question is - is the advisor to the oldest prince working alone or is the prince behind it all and, after everything is revealed, he's going to be deemed unfit for the throne? Also that live action cosplay ending haha, I did not expect that.

Fukumenkei Noise Episode 6
I continue to find this show charming,. Except, maybe, the animation. That CG at the beginning during the performance was painful to watch Poor Miou, but it seems like she'll find her love in the form of Yoshito eventually. Momo is a dick, even if he has his reasons, and Nono should totally stick with Yuzu.

Narag

I think what the first season did really well was set up its characters before they clashed with the leads. The first 10 episodes of GBF mostly just introduce the cast. There's really not that much focus on the qualifying matches. Many characters in those first 10 episodes got multiple scenes establishing their personalities and style of Gunpla. GBF had very few throwaway characters. By contrast, Try has loads of them.

Team aspect just meant bloat. Try was such a disappointing experience. used to rush home to watch the latest GBF but Try started burning me and I found it rather hard to care as things went on and it became clear things wouldn't be fixed. I think Jexhius (maybe) had some decent posts about there being some clear rewriting going on as some promised plot threads fizzle out and other elements come across as rushed at best but typically just half-baked.

Suka Suka Ep 6

Well its nice that everything turned out fine but who knows how long that lasts. Also ogre maid showing everyone why she is the best.

Tsuki ga Kirei 5

Somehow this show manages to make these two awkward middle schoolers into the most interesting couple in the world.

Surprisingly good post-ED skits this episode too.
I'll be honest, although cute at first the novelty of how shy and innocent they are has begun wearing thin on me. Luckily the writer seems to have realized the same around this point in time and actually has them interacting more. Still, I hardly can call this couple the "most interesting in the world". Show is slow, and so are these 2 kid's advancements in their relationship.

Also to everyone complaining about SukaSuka 6 episodes in, I can honestly say it was evident it was going to fall down that rabbit hole as soon as you reach the second episode and the girl does nothing but fawn over the MC as if he was Goldsmith from Dos Equis.

Quasar

Tsuki ga Kirei 5

Somehow this show manages to make these two awkward middle schoolers into the most interesting couple in the world.

Surprisingly good post-ED skits this episode too.

I really like how it uses cell phones. Unlike most anime, it seems like its written by people who now how people, especially kids, use cell phones.

I'll be honest, although cute at first the novelty of how shy and innocent they are has begun wearing thin on me. Luckily the writer seems to have realized the same around this point in time and actually has them interacting more. Still, I hardly can call this couple the "most interesting in the world". Show is slow, and so are these 2 kid's advancements in their relationship.

Also to everyone complaining about SukaSuka 6 episodes in, I can honestly say it was evident it was going to fall down that rabbit hole as soon as you reach the second episode and the girl does nothing but fawn over the MC as if he was Goldsmith from Dos Equis.

My bigger issue, as I think you're right that by Episode 2 the whole love progression was fairly evident, is how Episode 6 just kinds of throws up a lot of its mysteries all over you. It's a real game changer episode as we learn a lot of truth, but it doesn't do any of those reveals all that well in my opinion. Then it tries to have some moving
will she survive or won't she? moment, but rushes through that idea so quickly that it never feels like Ctholly was actually ever in any danger to begin with.
That's my big issue with it anyway.

Natsume 3

Natsume finally got a friend who can see/sence Yokais. The whole thing with him as a kid and that female looking Yokai was pretty heartbreaking. For a kid this as to be devastating, having your hope raised like that only to have them crashing down. Really cute ending, loved these 2 happy little demons.

But man those this Natsume season look awful on my tv. Super small subs+yellowish colored...pc it will be for now.

My bigger issue, as I think you're right that by Episode 2 the whole love progression was fairly evident, is how Episode 6 just kinds of throws up a lot of its mysteries all over you. It's a real game changer episode as we learn a lot of truth, but it doesn't do any of those reveals all that well in my opinion. Then it tries to have some moving
will she survive or won't she? moment, but rushes through that idea so quickly that it never feels like Ctholly was actually ever in any danger to begin with.
That's my big issue with it anyway.
I just can't stand how he means everything to everyone. "You're the only one in the world these girls could possibly connect with, please ignore the Troll-mama/big sister who has been taking care of them forever." or "You're the only possible person who can help us take back the surface." Ugh.

Team aspect just meant bloat. Try was such a disappointing experience. used to rush home to watch the latest GBF but Try started burning me and I found it rather hard to care as things went on and it became clear things wouldn't be fixed. I think Jexhius (maybe) had some decent posts about there being some clear rewriting going on as some promised plot threads fizzle out and other elements come across as rushed at best but typically just half-baked.

I don't remember disliking Try that much, but I'm probably going to give it a rewatch (along with G-Reco) to reassess my opinion. I can definitely see what you're saying though.

I just can't stand how he means everything to everyone. "You're the only one in the world these girls could possibly connect with, please ignore the Troll-mama/big sister who has been taking care of them forever." or "You're the only possible person who can help us take back the surface." Ugh.
Like I said before, I was kind of hoping that the show might go down the road that Chtholly's romantic feelings were based more on finding someone who believed she could save herself, but that it might wane to become more platonic as Chtholly's confidence in herself grew. Perhaps that's expecting too much from a light novel.

If there was one thing this show didn't need, though, it was to give Willem savior status and rob Chtholly of her agency as an emerging hero. She will probably still save the day in the end, but in a way that feels very articifically constructed to create despair.

If Shinkai cannot escape the orbit of long-distance lovers, then Hosoda cannot escape the orbit of familial bonds. I respect that Hosoda starting and developing his own family has had such a deep impact on him, and that he is drawing from his personal experiences as the kernel of inspiration for each film, but it makes him seem rather limited as an artist.

At any rate, I'm glad to see he's saying this will be more like Wolf Children than The Boy and the Beast.

Of course I am using hyperbole. The main reason I use that turn of phrase is because when I watched Tamako Market I described Tamako and Mochizou's relationship as "the least interesting couple in the world," because they were bland, thin characters circling each other in a constant stubborn stasis, neither interesting to watch by themselves or together. The couple in Tsuki ga Kirei, while very shy and awkward, are not stuck in stasis and instead are continually making steps to develop and grow their relationship. Moreover, each of them feel like real people by themselves - they have family lives, they have a group of friends to hang out with at school, they have hobbies, social lives, goals, etc. They don't feel either larger than life or smaller than life - they feel like life, which is something that is rarely captured or even attempted within anime, and it's something I have deep affection for when observed as sensitively as in Tsuki ga Kirei. I take pleasure in simple things, so I enjoy when art is able to reflect back life without excessive exaggeration or distortion, finding the pain and beauty in mundane experiences. This is a really useful and beneficial quality possible in art.

Like I said before, I was kind of hoping that the show might go down the road that Chtholly's romantic feelings were based more on finding someone who believed she could save herself, but that it might wane to become more platonic as Chtholly's confidence in herself grew. Perhaps that's expecting too much from a light novel.

If there was one thing this show didn't need, though, it was to give Willem savior status and rob Chtholly of her agency as an emerging hero. She will probably still save the day in the end, but in a way that feels very articifically constructed to create despair.
Gotta say I'm with you on this. While I am disappointed in the direction it is going, I'm still going to finish it since I'm so far into it now.

blurr

I can imagine myself from a few years ago fawning over Tsuki ga Kirei if it's anything like what I'm assuming based on what I've read and seen. My experiences with Tamako Love Story and Your Name kind of have me reconsider giving it a chance right away. It's not that they left a bad aftertaste, it feels like I'm more or less getting over highschool love story settings.

It's of course not that I won't watch it at all, I'm simply not as interested as I once was.

Which one is Hosoda's best? Wolf Children? I've only seen Summer Wars.

Wolf Children is great and if you're on for more Hosoda I'd also suggest The Girl Who Leapt through Time.

Boruto 7
Man Boruto has just been delivering great episode on great episode since it started. The class interactions are just the best. I currently really love the combo of BorutoxMitsukixShikadai. They really work well together. Then the mysteries every week with that weird shadow have all been on point. Damn was this week creepy though, poor class rep. I love how they help expend on a different character each week. Also damn is the animation on point. Each character is super dynamic visually and the action is really cool looking. This is definitely one of the show where I have this feeling of one more episode. This season has been pretty great on it and I have 3 of those in MHA, Boruto and Tsukigakirei. These are also the 3 which I would consider my personal this season top 3 easily.

Aki-at

Re:Creators - 2

Well they do talk a damn lot but it had a decent fight in it. I would be lying if I said I didn't fell bad for magical schoolgirl and I'm more interested in this show than I thought I would be.

Little Witch Academia - 15

Blue haired women always seem to be my default choice for best character, I see this fine tradition continuing. Whilst I have no interest in the grand plot and feel like this is what is hurting and holding back the series I did enjoy them showing off Chariot's abilities and the battle scenes.

I can imagine myself from a few years ago fawning over Tsuki ga Kirei if it's anything like what I'm assuming based on what I've read and seen. My experiences with Tamako Love Story and Your Name kind of have me reconsider giving it a chance right away. It's not that they left a bad aftertaste, it feels like I'm more or less getting over highschool love story settings.

Good thing Tsuki ga Kirei is middle school!

Legend of the Galactic Heroes 102

This series has been teetering on having Space Napoleon Reinhard die of a fever instead of in battle for like 40 episodes.

blurr

March Comes in like a Lion 15

Pretty excited to wrap this up now that I'm done with Grimgar.

The story at its current stage strongly reminds me of Owarimonogatari's Sodachi Riddle and for good reason. Kyouko's voiced by the same actress who also voiced Oikura Sodachi: Inoue Marina. Her work in episode 5 of Owari was one of the best I've heard if not the best. She's just perfect for Kyouko keeping in mind their troublesome childhood experiences. Although, Kyouko consciously or subconsciously brought it on to herself unlike Sodachi, it's still hard to blame her. One other thing is common between them, they're both subject to or having someone go through abuse over what happened to them.

Kyouko's helplessness over her lack of Shogi skill has her abuse Kiriyama and when that's out of the question, she's left with no one to direct her bitterness but herself. Getting into an illicit relationship that her family including Kiriyama would find disapproving was one way. More so with a very strong (in more ways than one) Shogi player. It reinforces how much Kiriyama's got at stake for him at many levels.

For an outsider/someone who casually knows Kiriyama, he's not what one would consider a miserable person or that he has it rough but that's simply because a lot of it is silent or hidden which is what the show brings out through exotic visualization and narration. Even people who are seemingly well off have it rough.

Good thing Tsuki ga Kirei is middle school!

You got me there! :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom