• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2017 |OT| Don't be a SukaSuka for Gacha

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Eccentric Family - Western Live Action Version

Aka there are two magical realism shows this season!

cZqtvIL.jpg
zDVoJuQ.jpg

A magical encounter with a mysterious woman on a roof _________________ - _______________ A touch of romance

8oJ6pN7.jpg
9Y1rN7Y.jpg

Take the moon!

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Boruto: Naruto Next Generations Episode 7:

Yea, this episode lost me quickly and can quite frankly go fuck itself with a rusty chainsaw given that the victim of the week was already a creepy fucking stalker before the shadow showed up and yea I kind of want him to die in a fire since they tried to extort sympathy from me because real life has truly and forever ruined this kind of character for me.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Sakura Quest Episode 7:

Yea, not surprising that this show is actually improving now that they remember to inject some actual character development and not just for say Maki who while clearly the focus of the arc isn't the only one to change and be changed by this arc.

It is nothing that I have personally experienced but yea the modern times and the internet have really denigrated this type of character for me.
Yea I just wanted to be sure I did not sound just like an ass. I do agree that, while I don't react as much as you, these characters are pretty ehh...At least in Boruto's case it was pretty tame. By that I mean that other then stalking he did not do anything else.
Simuldubs? More Gintama?
it'S written
Now that we're further along in the partnership, we'll be dubbing more shows that Crunchyroll has (stay tuned for future announcements of which shows that will entail) and subbed content will start to come off of our apps and website. See the subbed shows that are planned to come off of Funimation that are on Crunchyroll already below

I suspect next few shows to be announced are Twin star exorcist, Myriad color phantom world, Big order, Testamant devil thing and Bungo. They were in the initial reveal of CR's dubs.

So, I was looking to maybe finally watch a bunch of the One Piece movies, only to discover that a majority of them haven't had proper U.S. releases. Do we have any idea if there's plans on the table to go back and release any of the older ones? Is there a licensing issue? I tried finding the answers myself but no one seemed to be talking about this.

I almost never see One Piece talked about here, but I figured I'd ask anyway. *shrug*

Samurai Flamenco was fucking awesome

vB9B5.gif

Gah, sorry for not tagging spoilers. I kind of remembered corn's let's watch and mistakenly believed most people in here had watched it from there.

I kind of liked it, but didn't find the constant escalation all that interesting or funny. I'd probably have liked a show like what we got to see during the the earlier and later episodes rather than what was in the middle, since I'm not really a sentai fan, so the fanservice kind of flew over my head in a pretty unremarkable way.

Eh... I think that's why I enjoyed it. I didn't expect the turn when it happened. Was the first time in a while at that point I was surprised with where the show went.

There's only 13 episodes, no more ;p

Yes. Correct.

But those last 3 are truly something special :<

So special that I want to bleach it from my mind and pretend that the ending was just another unfulfilling cliffhanger.

So, I was looking to maybe finally watch a bunch of the One Piece movies, only to discover that a majority of them haven't had proper U.S. releases. Do we have any idea if there's plans on the table to go back and release any of the older ones? Is there a licensing issue? I tried finding the answers myself but no one seemed to be talking about this.

I almost never see One Piece talked about here, but I figured I'd ask anyway. *shrug*

You dont post in the One Piece anime thread? http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=337960&page=251

Qurupeke

Serial Experiments Lain [END]

Very surprised with the happy ending, it wasn't the tone I was expecting. Maybe it was because I was waiting for some more concrete explanations, but it certainly felt the show arrived on its climax suddenly. Anyway, in the midst of all the confusion, Lain was a cool show. Quite though provoking and interesting in its own weird fashion.

I'm also glad that Alice had a bigger role in the finale. Episode 12 was great and, for once, it was completely straightforward. I think my biggest annoyance with the show was that people rarely acted like normal human beings, even though it was understandable in a few cases. The scene with Alice and Lain near the end of 12 was the most "human" in the show and it was beautiful. I kind of wish the show had been that direct with its approach more often, but maybe this would have actually ruined it.

Some day I've got to watch Lain as well. Started it once but realized that I wasn't in the right kind of mood for that sort of show.

Btw., now you can move on to Dennou Coil!

Jex

[Little Witch Academia TV] - 19

This series has always been afflicted by bad writing but this is usually counterbalanced by strong visuals and some snappy direction. You can, occasionally, get caught up in the ride because it's being executed so well that you forget how poorly the show handles certain fundamental aspects of storytelling, such as characterisation. This episode, unfortunately, doesn't even have the decency to look good. It's just a bore. It's not like I expect the show to 'magically' fix itself, 19 episodes into it's run (this isn't Fafner, after all), but could it at least avoid being ugly? Couldn't they at least wheel out some decent storyboarding for a two-part episode dedicated to one of the most important people in the show? Can't they find someone to draw a decent piece of background art? What's going on at Trigger?

The background art of this show has always bothered me because it feels bland and empty. It's purely functional lines and colours that fail to convey any emotion, ideas, or information. Background art, as a key element of mise-en-scene, is a hugely powerful tool that can give the audience a feeling, tell them about a space or convey ideas about a character. One of the most important places where we can learn about a character through background art is when we visit their most personal space - the bedroom. A characters bedroom is often a reflection of their tastes, hobbies and personality as well as acting as a window into their past and present. It can tell the audience a lot of key information very succinctly. How does Little Witch Academia fair on this metric?

Consider the below three bedrooms from this episode:

These bedrooms are almost completely devoid of any character information at all. They're just empty, hollow spaces filled with familiar household objects. Apart from Diana's bear and box, there's absolutely nothing else going on with these three key spaces. It just feels like such a waste of potentially useful visual information. It doesn't feel like anyone is actually living in any of these rooms.

petran79

Banned
LWA 14-19.

Finally series picked some pace after the boring first part. Seems the best part will be for the final episodes.

I’d have preferred a more polished second movie or OVA instead of a TV series tbh

Serial Experiments Lain [END]

Very surprised with the happy ending, it wasn't the tone I was expecting. Maybe it was because I was waiting for some more concrete explanations, but it certainly felt the show arrived on its climax suddenly. Anyway, in the midst of all the confusion, Lain was a cool show. Quite though provoking and interesting in its own weird fashion.

I did not find SEL ending happy at all with what happened to Lain,her family and her surroundings.
It was very depressing that Alice had to forget everything and Lain had to live alone inside the Wired

Qurupeke

I did not find SEL ending happy at all with what happened to Lain,her family and her surroundings.
It was very depressing that Alice had to forget everything and Lain had to live alone inside the Wired

Well, the series has its fair amount of tragic developments, but I thought the ending was the best possible outcome, considering how things turned out. Lain's existence was basically an irregularity that greatly affected many people's lives, but despite that, the show allowed a new beginning for her and everyone else. I suppose it's not exactly happy for her though.

Lupin the Third Part 1 Episode 6

Lupin the Third is a weird show because it has Looney Tunes level physics (Jigen shoots a hole in a car, then Lupin throws a knife with a stick of dynamite attached to it into the hole and the car blows up) but also just a ton of stone cold murder. The Phantom Thieves right? They steal shit but Lupin, Jigen and Fujiko have no issue just MURDERING a ton of people every episode!

She shoots a man AFTER throwing him out of a plane
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrahCm7UIa4

Gundam Wing predicted Baneposting

NeonZ

Lupin the Third is a weird show because it has Looney Tunes level physics (Jigen shoots a hole in a car, then Lupin throws a knife with a stick of dynamite attached to it into the hole and the car blows up) but also just a ton of stone cold murder. The Phantom Thieves right? They steal shit but Lupin, Jigen and Fujiko have no issue just MURDERING a ton of people every episode!

You haven't actually seen Lupin at his worst (for this series) yet. The show gets a more consistently light atmosphere after the first 10 or so episodes though.

The Royal Tutor Episode 6 - At Cafe Mitter Meyer

I was almost shocked that people wouldnt realize that the king was working but fortunately people did know it and it seemed it was just the cafe owner.

I kind of liked the message this episode was trying to teach to Licht.

Yeah, I think I'm out.

After such a strong start, this show has done nothing but find ways to aggrivate me, but this latest episode was the last straw. For what seemed like such a fascinating premise for a light novel (last man on earth looks after child soldiers fighting off monsters of the apocalypse that attack the few remaining floating islands in the sky), it's incredible how quickly it devolves into just following stereotypical light novel trends.

OF COURSE he has the knowledge that will help the soldiers he cares for turn the tide of their hopeless battle.

OF COURSE his relationship with the main female character can't decide if he should be father or lover, so why not both?

OF COURSE
anyone and anything tied to Willem's past has come back in the present to be integral to the plot as if Willem's the missing puzzle piece that completes the universe instead of maybe the more interesting idea that he could turn the female lead into the hero who saves the day, but who would want a story like that
am I right?

Man, what a waste of such a good premise... how has Akashic Records now become the best LN adaptation of the season?

I don't have big problem with self-insert MCs, though they are usually much more boring in comparison to more well-fleshed out protagonists (they can't all be Araragi), but my problem with SukaSuka is that it spends the first couple episodes setting Willem up as a broken survivor with no purpose who is simply waiting to die (aka: not exactly self-insert MC material). But, instead of telling a story about how he heals via connecting with these girls while also helping them to save themselves from the despair of their own existence, all that has since been tossed out in favor of something far more predicatable, convenient, and safe.

My bigger issue, as I think you're right that by Episode 2 the whole love progression was fairly evident, is how Episode 6 just kinds of throws up a lot of its mysteries all over you. It's a real game changer episode as we learn a lot of truth, but it doesn't do any of those reveals all that well in my opinion. Then it tries to have some moving
will she survive or won't she? moment, but rushes through that idea so quickly that it never feels like Ctholly was actually ever in any danger to begin with.
That's my big issue with it anyway.

Because SukaSuka LN would've ended in volume 2 if it never saved by the fans then extend to total 5 volumes, of course the volume 2 part would be going all out and make it like ending(episode 6 ended in end of LN volume 2).
It's not about rush, it's the series supposedly ended(butchered) there, until publisher decided let author wrote 3 more volumes.

Honestly, I feel like Grimoire of Zero is super bland and has some really shitty writing at points. The only thing it has going for it is good pacing.
Certainly behind Bastard Teacher and SukaSuka even if they have their own share of problems.

Still liking SukaSuka best from all the LN adaptions this season, fite me!
Don't worry from what i see most people thinking same with you lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom