• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2017 |OT| Don't be a SukaSuka for Gacha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cornbread78

Beck ep.19-20
J1bQ8nb.png
Koyuki, your mom was right; be a man, step up and take responsibility, lol. They are still dancing around that ship, but her big bro is obviously all for it, lol. Looking forward to summer Dead concert performance.

Can I also mention how horrible they drew those black guys lips in this episode? Bad, bad, bad..

javac

Got a few anime posters recently, no idea why, I guess I just like collecting stuff? Maybe I'll frame the Utena one, looks really nice! :p

Original 1984 Daicon IV Poster illustrated by Takami Akai:
tlnNN5t.png

Original 1997 Theatrical Perfect Blue Poster:
rjBdOiW.jpg

Some Utena Poster:
VLofFx0.jpg

sonicmj1

Rage of Bahamut Virgin Soul 8

ewsTTbP.jpg

This has been there since the first time this ED was shown.

Sick ED continuity.

Re:Creators 8

Not even Magane can make Sota's sadsack routine tolerable. Yes, there's still more of that, and more exposition nobody cares about, and more being way too cute with the premise.

5dIdiGu.jpg

Then again, I can't make fun of people for not paying attention to credits, since this was probably there last week too.

But in Mamika, there's a better (or at least more entertaining) show emerging. Mamika's introduction was all kinds of messy, but it also means that she's the only character so far whose prior worldview has really been challenged. Her efforts to make sense of things, and figure out her place, have been the one compelling plot thread in the show so far, and they lead this episode to the series' best climax to date.

Can't wait to see how they squander it all next week.

JulianImp

Just watched the first two episodes, and I think you are 100% correct. Kato is perhaps the only redeeming thing about the show. Everything else is 'eh.'

That does bring something to mind though: Is there a harem anime where the focus of the harem actually 'deserves' the attention he/she gets? I am having a hard time coming up with one.

Most harem series are basically a thousand opposite-gender characters to the MC, and maaaaaybe his/her best friend who doesn't ever get lucky, is mostly limited to comic relief duties and might end up providing a homosexual romantic alternative... for laughs, of course, since having the MC fall in love with him/her would turn it into a 1-to-1 non-harem, and all the hetero love interests would have nowhere to go unless the MC was into both sexes or something.

Hmm, now I wonder if there ever was an actual harem with a bi MC and a cast made up of multiple male and female love interests, as opposed to an all hetero or all homosexual cast...

JulianImp

The Rosario Vampire manga is ok in that regard. To the very least, I think the dude was attractive enough to justify why so many of the females were thirsty for him.

While I'd understand why most girls would be interested in that kind of character, I've always wondered about bookworm-ish girls or others that aren't that likely to just fall in love because the guy's hot (and not merely because of an excuse such as him apparently being out of her league). Then again, most harem MCs are also either smooth talkers or really honest guys that care an awful lot about others, so I guess that gives them bonus points even with girls who aren't all that much into his looks.

Bahamut: Virgin Soul 8

ABOUT DAMN TIME!!!!!!!!!!!

Kaisar was damn awesome in the 3 way fight. I didnt think he could be such a G.

Awesome episode as usual. Seeing that demon get crushed so violently was brutal. I'm super hyped for some
Nina / Jeanne / Kaisar / Favaro prison break action
. Lets do this shit and send Charioce to hell.

duckroll

Kado 6-7

Show's getting more interesting. I don't like how the female negotiator is being wasted as a non-character who exists only to play off Shindo. But Shindo easily has all the good scenes in this show.

Zesty Tales 21-22

Finally catching up on the end chunk of this. Really, really good. Ufotable for lyfe. I was really impressed with the direction in 21 in particular, and *SHOCK* it's another Takashi Suhara episode. Give this man his own series or movie already...

Cornbread78

Alice ep.8

The refocus onto SoL for the show was really good, but this new focus adding in mystery and intrigue into the show was excellent. Just who is this girl and does she help lead us to how the powers work and where they originate?

The Laughing Salesman Episode 9

Definitely one of the weaker episodes. First half really didn't feel like it went anywhere, and mostly made Moguro seem more petty than powerful. Second half was better, but still lacking. In contrast to last week, the storyboarding felt really flat this episode.

KraytarJ

Love Tyrant 8
Horrible first half, but an alright second half when the focus was back on the characters and their comedic interactions instead of the focus being some bland superpower shit. Dear Lord the moms are fire though, and Yuzu calling her mom Mama-sama is just perfect. Like so perfect I'm shocked that was the first time I'd ever heard it used.

Tsukigakirei 7
I'm losing interest in the main couple at this point. They barely feel like they know anything about each other or are at all close in any way, and that not changing really hurts the show in my eyes.

Cornbread78

I can't consider this show seriously for top anything with that shitty episode 2 village scene.
Out of everything I've seen this season that was the lowest bottom of the barrel cheap trash writing I've seen, and I've been watching Clockwork Planet.
And that wasn't even the only thing.

Man, all the shit I've watched this season and this show is the only one that makes me unreasonably angry with it's awful writing.

/rant

Lol. Outside of a few obvious writing blunders, the show has been really entertaining with a good sense of adventure, fun character interactions and a good tone. It's nothing epic and doesn't do anything amazing to stand out, bit it's been really fun for the most part.

ibyea

Banned
Rakugo: 8-12
Overall this is an incredible show. Starting from ep 7, this show just never let's go on the emotions. I wish it would have ended on the penultimate episode though, because then I wouldn't have had to find out about that stupid piece of information.

kewlmyc

That does bring something to mind though: Is there a harem anime where the focus of the harem actually 'deserves' the attention he/she gets? I am having a hard time coming up with one.

I forget the name of the show, but there was one harem I was reading the synopsis of and the main draw of the MC was that he was a millionaire. Also something about if he didn't find his real sister among them, he'd lose his inheritance or something. So him having a harem of people trying to marry him made sense.

dickroach

Kado 6-7

Show's getting more interesting. I don't like how the female negotiator is being wasted as a non-character who exists only to play off Shindo.

Well she had a big line at the end of ep 7 that looks like it'll bring her more into the forefront. and I think it looks like she's the person in the fetal position at the end of the title sequence.
some shit's gonna go down

While I'd understand why most girls would be interested in that kind of character, I've always wondered about bookworm-ish girls or others that aren't that likely to just fall in love because the guy's hot (and not merely because of an excuse such as him apparently being out of her league). Then again, most harem MCs are also either smooth talkers or really honest guys that care an awful lot about others, so I guess that gives them bonus points even with girls who aren't all that much into his looks.

But such a character would need more than looks, they would need to be genuinely interesting. That is the hard part.

Thinking about it again, there is Kintaro from Golden Boy. Of course, the joke is he's kind of a parody of a Marty Stu, and by the time he attracts the female character of the day, he's already leaving for his next location.

Is it at least pretty Jarmel?

Also that closeup on the mouth seems like an odd way to frame that shot considering the answer is basically "Eh, I don't know."

Jarmel

Banned
The thing that makes LWA so infuriating, more so than something like KLK, is that so much of the character drama isn't fleshed out and just comes off as a bunch of misunderstandings. We don't know why Akko is so obsessed with meeting Shiny Chariot other than Shiny Chariot inspired her. I get wanting to meet your idol but holy shit it's so overblown that any sort of personality Akko has is being overshadowed. Akko wants to meet Shiny Chariot just to meet her. Earlier in the show Akko expressed the desire to become an entertainer just like Shiny Chariot which was a good way of furthering her obsession with Shiny Chariot into character growth. However that notion has been thrown out and Akko has reverted back into being a soulless groupie. Similarly Ursula has zero reason seemingly to hide her identity as Shiny Chariot from Akko. What? Is she doing it for kicks at this point? It's not like Shiny Chariot is a fugitive. This is being drawn out for drama and because the writer doesn't know how to actually progress the story and characters. Then we have Croix who is just trying to destroy the world out of jealousy? We get a three minute flashback this episode and all I can do is shrug my shoulders at the end of it. There's no real reason driving Croix's jealousy and the show doesn't spend significant time addressing it. A better show would have established her backstory and motivations long ago, similar with Ursula, so the audience has a reason to care about these two characters and understand their thought processes a bit.

I shouldn't be 21 episodes into a show and thinking how stale the main character is, especially when the WHOLE POINT of the show is character development.

MartyStu

Saenai Heroine no Sodatekata 1 - 3

Not sure why I watched until episode 3, but I definitely think I will stop here.

I should have figured it out from the title, but this anime is kind of repulsive. But it is so in a subtle sinister way that is easy to miss.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom