• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2017 |OT| Don't be a SukaSuka for Gacha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, I resubscribed Crunchyroll to test if anime is really dead.

If it really happened, must be a very recently occurrence, because I remember good animes released in 2016.
Check out My Hero Academia if you haven't! 2016' best anime and it's aiming to be 2017 best anime too.

blurr

March comes in like a Lion 18

I suppose this episode marks a new beginning for Rei in his Shogi career. The setup gives that impression with Shimada's defeat and Rei's tussle with him. There's also a moment where he considers analyzing not just within himself but to explain to others. This isn't as easy, a lot of abstract ideas don't take form until spoken out, assuming it has come to give him a perspective.

DBFs7IgUMAAN04R.jpg
DBFs9_kUQAQ5zKf.jpg

DBFs_RSV0AAMpYk.jpg
DBFtHOfVYAEyFav.jpg

Yeah, I wasn't ready for that. What a beautiful sight.

Hey, it's anime Chip N'Dale and Tale Spin. Don't tell me otherwise!

The contrast between the almost entirely negative reception of Re:Creators in this thread and the generally positive reception of Re:Creators on my Twitter feed is rather curious.

Yep, I'm honestly intrigued by it going by what I've read on twitter.

I don't know about excellent, but I don't feel like it's been bad for sure. MHA S2, AoT S2, Rakugo S2, Dragon Maid, Monster Girls, Blame! Maybe there aren't a lot of "lit the world on fire" level titles yet but it's honestly pretty decent.
It's been pretty amazing. Even excluding MHA because this would skyrocket any season quality. I have enjoyed and found great at least 5 shows per season. So on a level of plenty of great content it's been really solid. That's excluding stuff I only found decent.

I don't know about excellent, but I don't feel like it's been bad for sure. MHA S2, AoT S2, Rakugo S2, Dragon Maid, Monster Girls, Blame! Maybe there aren't a lot of "lit the world on fire" level titles yet but it's honestly pretty decent.

Uhhh yeah, these are 'lit the world on fire' level. Eccentric Family S2, AoT S2 and Rakugo S2 are at least. And still other series like Welcome to the Ballroomor The Ancient Magus' Bride coming, I think it can be the best year in a while.

I can't really think of many redeeming features of Re:Creators and have seen mostly negative things even outside of this thread.

I haven't watched Re:Creators since it looks ugly and the talk of endless jargon-filled exposition turns me off, but a number of people seem to think the show has thoughtful writing and compelling characterization. It's just a strange dichotomy of opinion.

Uhhh yeah, these are 'lit the world on fire' level. Eccentric Family S2, AoT S2 and Rakugo S2 are at least. And still other series like Welcome to the Ballroomor The Ancient Magus' Bride coming, I think it can be the best year in a while.

I said, a lot of, as in, yes, there are some, but not a ton.

Line_HTX

Well since my tastes are mostly the opposite of the core here, maybe I should check it out as a buffer, lol.

I don't know if I could watch it unbiasedly after reading all the posted complaints though, lol
If you really wanted to give it a shot you'd have to go in knowing that it's a lot more talking than action. The series seems extremely focused at this point on exploring/discussing the mechanics of fictional characters coming to life, what that means, what they can do, etc. There's some action, but unless the above sounds appealing, and I do find it interesting at least, it's best left untouched for the moment.

Kiritobread, you should at least check it and see if it's to your liking and not think about all the posts you read. If you agree with everyone here, then at least you would come to that conclusion yourself. The worst is most likely episode 4, which, is it me or do a lot of animes' episode 4's always the worst one out of all of them?

Before you definitively decide that it's boring for you though, you kind of need to see what these characters becoming real means and the consequences of them being real.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Is there an anime about a brother and a sister reconnecting, but doesn't end with them trying to fuck each other? I didn't get that with Oreimo, and I doubt I'll get that with Eromanga Sensei.

You get this with same sex siblings all the time (at least on the male side), but I can't think of an opposite sex example.
Genshiken!

The last few years have seemed average at best, for me anyway. Kuzu was the closest I got to being excited for anime in a while, but it just didn't go as far as I would have liked to see.

Well since the reception for Record of Lodoss War wasn't that it is absolute trash I'll add it to my summer watching list. I'm always looking for fantasy adventure shows.

Listening to animegaf's negativity at face value is not a really a good idea considering how drastic some people here are.
Considering how harsh I've been on Re:CREATORS, I'd still urge someone to check it out for themselves. My taste in anime is bizarre and eclectic (and still growing considering how much I still have to catch up on from the last decade or so), and I imagine there's plenty of people who would disagree with my complaints about it. But it's hardly the worst thing on this season, and my disappointment stems primarily from my feelings regarding the excellent staff leading the project, whose talent I feel is being underutilized.

This year's been pretty good thus far in my opinion. We may not have had a bevy of amazing shows by this point like there was last year (I wasn't watching regularly then, so I couldn't say), but last season had great new adapations in Dragon Maid and Youjo Senki, and this season has been dominated mostly by excellent sequel seasons like My Hero Academia, Attack on Titan, and The Eccentric Family (allegedly, I haven't seen the first season yet). Perhaps I just haven't been watching stuff long enough to get sick of certain things yet, but I'd find it tough to believe someone could find nothing of value thus far this year.

Listening to animegaf's negativity at face value is not a really a good idea considering how drastic some people here are.

This is perhaps the least negative AnimeGAF has ever been.

The last few years have seemed average at best, for me anyway. Kuzu was the closest I got to being excited for anime in a while, but it just didn't go as far as I would have liked to see.

You don't even watch anime anymore.

JulianImp

More foreign students who are blonde and very happy go lucky, haha

Gotta love how the archetypical American transfer student is always blonde, has blue eyes and, if female, oversized boobs... Except not. Seriously, screw dumb stereotypes.

From a sociological point of view, I can't really wrap my head around why people with more seniority would be allowed to boss others around and avoid doing some chores, but that's probably because the only rank that usually matters around here is your position (ie: programmer, lead programmer), so if you're both in the same rank then you're supposed to handle similar responsibilities and get paid more or less the same, with neither of you being more or less important for the most part. If anything, seniors get some reverence because they obviously know the working environment a lot better, but they don't get any special treatment because of it for the most part.

Aki-at

Not too shocked about Re:Creators having a positive opinion in general compared to here, mainstream tastes and the community's tastes are very very different. Until a came here I never saw people hate on a bunch of shows that were otherwise fairly popular.

This is really the only place I see massive negativity towards ReCreators too, not really sure why.

Something something this is NeoGAF.

Cornbread78

Fukumenkei Noise ep.8
Beautiful shot of these two walking into the sunset.. Literally, anything that once was is now coming to an end, just like the daylight.... Time to move forward....

Pretty drama filled episode, proving once again that Momo is a douche. And Yuzu, you have some balls my friend.... I can't believe you did that!

Ascheroth

This is really the only place I see massive negativity towards ReCreators too, not really sure why.
Well, while I'm complaining about the exposition and Meteora every week, overall it's still one of the shows I watch as soon as it comes out and would say I like it.

As Infinite_Respawn said, 'underutilized' is something I would attribute to it, and 'not living up to its potential' as well, but on a whole I would still call it at least competent with untapped potential. Or something like that.
It's also been getting better and better again since Magane appeared.

Line_HTX

Aki, mainstream tastes still love AoT. Look at that CR map, it won by a landslide of states!

;P

Well, while I'm complaining about the exposition and Meteora every week, overall it's still one of the shows I watch as soon as it comes out and would say I like it.

As Infinite_Respawn said, 'underutilized' is something I would attribute to it, and 'not living up to its potential' as well, but on a whole I would still call it at least competent with untapped potential. Or something like that.
It's also been getting better and better again since Magane appeared.

This is better worded and gives better clarity on why it wouldn't be liked. I like seeing a reason instead of flat out saying it's boring as fuck.

Cornbread78

Sukasuka ep.8
Those damn kids always getting into trouble! Super cute scenes with them though...

Ok, they are in shipping mode hardcore with Willem and Ctholly now. I mean, it's cute and all, but man, what is going on with her? We are getting closer to that prologue scene and I can see how it is going to go down with the monsters they have shown from the surface and the mission they are about to go on..... This is no good....

Cross Ange is just an unlikeable offensive mess that's immediately repulsive.

Well, this is exactly why it is so damn entertaining. It's rare you find trainwrecks that are completely engaging and keep you interested in the complete nonsense until the very end.

Well, this is exactly why it is so damn entertaining. It's rare you find trainwrecks that are completely engaging and keep you interested in the complete nonsense until the very end.

First off, I literally just listed a reason as to why it's NOT entertaining or engaging!

Second: WATCH CODE GEASS ALREADY.

Aki-at

Aki, mainstream tastes still love AoT. Look at that CR map, it won by a landslide of states!

;P

I'm going through the first season and I can't for the life of me understand why it became so popular other than visual presentation. Attack on Trains was like better in almost every department!

I don't mean to derail the chat much, but can I ask you guys a question about physical media organization? I'm starting to get enough anime sets that now I'm wondering if there might be a better way to organize them than I am at the moment (mine are separated by publisher ATM, only because I don't like the look of Sentai BD cases next to Aniplex box sets, if that makes any sense). So I was wondering for those of you who have physical media collections: how do you organize your library?

kewlmyc

I don't mean to derail the chat much, but can I ask you guys a question about physical media organization? I'm starting to get enough anime sets that now I'm wondering if there might be a better way to organize them than I am at the moment (mine are separated by publisher ATM, only because I don't like the look of Sentai BD cases next to Aniplex box sets, if that makes any sense). So I was wondering for those of you who have physical media collections: how do you organize your library?

TV series by alphabetical order.

The anime movies I own go with my general movie section.

Separate DVD and BD. Then put the similar box together. Of course put the sexy limited editon boxes a place where they are easiest to see.

No-Rin - Completed: Ended up checking this out since it was a short series that I've had in my queue on Funimation for a while now. Jokes were hit or miss. The cougar teacher was probably the funniest character in the show. The last couple of episodes were pretty rough though because it ended up being entirely devoted to this love-triangle that I had zero investment in. Didn't help that the "triangle" was hilariously lopsided up until these final episodes and the writers had to scramble to try and make a convincing case for how the childhood friend was actually a viable option lol

Cornbread78

First off, I literally just listed a reason as to why it's NOT entertaining or engaging!

Second: WATCH CODE GEASS ALREADY.

I ALREADY WATCHED CODE GEASS YA DAMN MECHA HEAD, LOL.

I guess it's almost time to watch the next crazy show...

Geass, check
Green Green, check
Cross Ange, check
Penguin Drum, check

Sell me on another one.

I ALREADY WATCHED CODE GEASS YA DAMN MECHA HEAD, LOL.

I guess it's almost time to watch the next crazy show...

Geass, check
Green Green, check
Cross Ange, check
Penguin Drum, check

Sell me on another one.

You did? I don't remember that.

Oh well. Check out Nanoha then I guess. Would be interesting for someone to check that out with the third movie coming out.

It's not a crazy show, but it's a personal favourite series of mine. S1 is okay, the sequel A's is fuck awesome. Avoid StrikerS.

Clov

I mostly collect BDs, so I have them separate from the few DVDs I own. I have TV series, OVAs, and movies all mixed together, along with limited and standard editions. My titles are all organized alphabetically.

This may not be a great way of doing things though, since I ran out of room on my shelf. I'm going to have to get some more space later on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom