• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2017 |OT| Don't be a SukaSuka for Gacha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Id agree with the Tournament arc part, only part that gave some indication of a bigger picture thing going on was Todoroki vs His/Endeavours ideas of being a hero and some emotional part, otherwise, nothing else for anyone else.

Gulz1992

Finished watching Attack on Titans Season 2. I wasn't the biggest fan of Season 1, but this
Season was really good. It's managed to get me genuinely invested in the characters and storyline, and I'm actually excited for Season 3.

Berserk (2017) is real, and good, and he's my friend.

DViiL.png

Narag

Berserk (2017) 4

For real though, if there's a criticism that should be leveled at the show beyond the low hanging fruit of the animation (and even then that's something I think the should could overcome if the rest were handled better), it's the direction lacks any sort of appreciable flow. Scene changes are as sharp and sudden as cuts within individual scenes such that it can be difficult to know what and where things are occurring.

Berserk S2 4

For real though, if there's a criticism that should be leveled at the show beyond the low hanging fruit of the animation (and even then that's something I think the should could overcome if the rest were handled better), it's the direction lacks any sort of appreciable flow. Scene changes are as sharp and sudden as cuts within individual scenes such that it can be difficult to know what and where things are occurring.

That becomes a lot more noticeable as the production stumbles later on.

There are way, waaaaaaay, too many panning shots that jerk away suddenly.

Gulz1992

Berserk (2017) 4

I've said that the reason the CG animation gets so much criticism is because of the same reason so many people blame Jar Jar Binks for ruining The Phantom Menace. In that, the entire product is so terrible in every aspect of flimmaking that it becomes difficult for audiences to articulate exactly why it's terrible, so they blame it all on the obvious flaw that they could easily focus on.

Narag

I've said that the reason the CG animation gets so much criticism is because of the same reason so many people blame Jar Jar Binks for ruining The Phantom Menace. In that, the entire product is so terrible in every aspect of flimmaking that it becomes difficult for audiences to articulate exactly why it's terrible, so they blame it all on the obvious flaw that they could easily focus on.

this is a very fair take on the matter

otoh worth it for the new HIrasawa music even if it is just a couple songs

If you're referring to his post about tournament arcs, I don't think saying it lacks a certain density is him calling it terrible. Bringing up the Naruto Chuunin exam was a good example of having many factors at play which leads to a far more engaging experience. I don't have a ton of experience with tournament arc stuff myself but the only thing comparable I could think of was the HxH Heaven's Arena arc that was superficially as straightforward yet at the same time developed the concept of Nen which paved the path going forward yet simultaneously contextualized the bizarre feats of the characters leading up to it.

It's hard to see a post that boils down to "the story is embarassing and pointless while the visuals have nothing good about them" as saying My Hero Academia was anything above terrible, but that's just me. Anyway, I'm not a big fan of tournament arcs in general - Heaven's Arena is my least favorite arc in Hunter X Hunter 1999 - but My Hero Academia's seems at least mostly tolerable. I have a better opinion than dimb about the visuals at least.

Aki-at

Re:Ceators - 11

This started off cute then it got sad and dark real quick.

I was hoping some light relief from Fata Morgana but it wasn't meant to be.

It's 32C in my room I'm melting.

I wish all those stereotypes about British weather were still true :(

Monster Hunter Stories Ride On Episode 37

Wow just one hit of the ax, turned the entire kinship ore to black blight ore, what even, and it wasnt even menelger, ittsy bittsy kun didnt seem like he'd have evil.

Narag

Berserk (2017) 5

Expanding the world was pretty neat but assigning everyone gifts with +1 fire and shit was borderline comical in the current era. However I'll acknowledge that as an artifact of 90s fantasy storytelling since the show is in the final chapters of that decade.

Eccentric Family 2 Episode 11

It would be nice if they could actually try to change instead of always reverting back to their actions being due to their fools blood. Someday.

Nice turn of events. Fakes all around.

Cornbread78

Euromanga sensei ep.11
Holy crap at Sagiri's mom.

If these two weren't that youbg and weren't siblings tgen this would come off as a cute af episode (with some typical, creepy fanservice shots)

But......

*sigh*

Narag

Berserk (2017) 6

Schierke doing her thing was impressive. I was afraid nothing was going to happen since the first half was mostly talking.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
It's hard to see a post that boils down to "the story is embarassing and pointless while the visuals have nothing good about them" as saying My Hero Academia was anything above terrible, but that's just me. Anyway, I'm not a big fan of tournament arcs in general - Heaven's Arena is my least favorite arc in Hunter X Hunter 1999 - but My Hero Academia's seems at least mostly tolerable. I have a better opinion than dimb about the visuals at least.
Just to set things straight...
Heaven's Arena is also my least favorite piece of HxH, but I would actually consider the opening Hunter's Exam to line up most closely to the Chuunin Exam of Naruto and what MHA is doing. Heaven's Arena is very focused on personal growth and changing how the reader understands the ruleset of the world. It's not really a tournament in the same sense and early on they establish that their purpose is to train.

For my write up on MHA I kind of just wanted to draw out some of my feelings on where it structurally diverges from other shounen action shows and comes up short. For as much as it has in common with that genre it feels like something else entirely to me at times so I figured that would be the best way to highlight that feeling. I don't think very highly of the story but season two is highly digestible. Maybe it's like the plain applesauce of anime. I didn't even do the mad write up about how poorly women are treated in MHA even compared to other shounen action stories though....

Visually I could find stuff to like if I cared more. There's plenty of strong character art but I think the background work is some of the absolute worst I've seen on a major production in a long time, and it has an impact on the coloring that is really hard to get away from. I'm not super impressed with the action or the fight scenes compared to other stuff airing right now and I don't think MHA stands up well against other modern Bones stuff visually. It's really hard for the camera to pull back to some kind of really strong visual set piece when the color and background work is almost always dragging the show down. MHA never really pops or surprises or puts itself out there to me visually, so it sort of just clocks in as a very low effort production by Bones served to an audience that doesn't care that much or know any better.

ReCreators Episode 11

Omg the sota x kanoya scene in the clouds was amazing.

but also plotwise, I love online friends meeting up, the ackward first words to the quickly smiles and everything, so so good for Sota.

But wow that backstory...more.

Jarmel

Banned
The Hunter Exam is also long as fuck in comparison though. That shit never seemed to end.

Also visually season 2 stacks up significantly better compared to other BONES productions in contrast to S1. C Studio shows tend to look better than their counterparts so that's not a huge surprise. The character animation is pretty solid now.

Just to set things straight...
Heaven's Arena is also my least favorite piece of HxH, but I would actually consider the opening Hunter's Exam to line up most closely to the Chuunin Exam of Naruto and what MHA is doing. Heaven's Arena is very focused on personal growth and changing how the reader understands the ruleset of the world. It's not really a tournament in the same sense and early on they establish that their purpose is to train.

For my write up on MHA I kind of just wanted to draw out some of my feelings on where it structurally diverges from other shounen action shows and comes up short. For as much as it has in common with that genre it feels like something else entirely to me at times so I figured that would be the best way to highlight that feeling. I don't think very highly of the story but season two is highly digestible. Maybe it's like the plain applesauce of anime. I didn't even do the mad write up about how poorly women are treated in MHA even compared to other shounen action stories though....

Visually I could find stuff to like if I cared more. There's plenty of strong character art but I think the background work is some of the absolute worst I've seen on a major production in a long time, and it has an impact on the coloring that is really hard to get away from. I'm not super impressed with the action or the fight scenes compared to other stuff airing right now and I don't think MHA stands up well against other modern Bones stuff visually. It's really hard for the camera to pull back to some kind of really strong visual set piece when the color and background work is almost always dragging the show down. MHA never really pops or surprises or puts itself out there to me visually, so it sort of just clocks in as a very low effort production by Bones served to an audience that doesn't care that much or know any better.

Of course the backgrounds are bland but to call MHA S2 a "very low effort production" is something that boggles my mind. When you compare it to other Bones productions from recent years, it doesn't look as good as Bungo Stray Dogs but it does look better than something like Snow White with the Red Hair. It's the hyperbolic manner in which you write, mostly, but your posts always seem to scream "Look how superior I am to all the lazy bums who make this abysmal anime and the idiots who eat up this garbage willingly," which is why they tend to rub me the wrong way, even when you're not entirely off-base.

duckroll

Re:Creators - Whatever the latest episode is
A drop in quality from the last couple of episodes, but not as bad as the earlier ones. At least the story has some momentum now. Still dumb as fuck though. My impression of the show has gone from getting stabbed by a dagger in my side, to just being punched hard on the shoulder ever now and then.

Virgin Soul of Bahamut - The latest two episodes
This is seriously good shit. It wasn't down on the show at all and liked the new cast, but the return of the whole cast in the forefront makes things so much better. It's amazing. So good.

Stormblood
Zenos da gawd. This is everything I wanted out of a Far Eastern FF expansion.

Narag

Berserk (2017) 7

Everyone: Guts you can't do that it's impossible
*Guts does it*
Everyone: wow

I recall this ep catching a bunch of flak for the kelpie but it was in-line with the better looking episodes of the first season.

LotusHD

Banned
I watched a single episode of MHA a few weeks ago when everyone was hyped for a particular episode, and it seemed to me 'Shonen: The Shonen series'. Just using the formula to a T.
Good-hearted, a bit plain and dumb Protagonist with secret big power hidden in him who main feature is to have a strong will/tons of guts, cocky/edgy friend/rival/co-protagonist recognized to be the next big thing, fight tournament arc with commentators and audience and everything, battle against said friend to 'save/help him', it was all a stereotype after another.

Never get why people act like they entirely get a show after seeing one random episode from it...

In my experience, My Hero Academia is neither as amazing as its biggest proponents say it is not as terrible as dimb says it is.

Yea I agree more or less, at least where we currently are with the anime.

Shit, I missed your "must kill Japanese" responses..

I feel quite bad for Euphemia, poor girl was the hero that world needed and Lelouch's absolute carelessness/arrogance doomed her and everything she was working for. I also feel bad for all those people who died due to his error.

I did have a feeling a moment like this would come though, that he'd lose control of his power. I'd of course been exposed to some of Geass' concepts, like Lelouch's power, even before seeing the show. And playing Super Robot Wars Z3 Part 1 showed him wearing his mask, which I kinda assumed, before knowing anything else about the show, that he couldn't control his power and one day would realize it was so bad he'd have to hide his face from everyone so never to accidentally control anyone. Took awhile but feels kinda cool to actually see that moment hit. I was wondering how things would go bad after Euphemia announced her idea.

Must kill Japanese was pretty 'funny', in the 'and I thought this was over the top before!' kinda way, but the United States of Japan got the bigger laugh outta me lol.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Of course the backgrounds are bland but to call MHA S2 a "very low effort production" is something that boggles my mind. When you compare it to other Bones productions from recent years, it doesn't look as good as Bungo Stray Dogs but it does look better than something like Snow White with the Red Hair. It's the hyperbolic manner in which you write, mostly, but your posts always seem to scream "Look how superior I am to all the lazy bums who make this abysmal anime and the idiots who eat up this garbage willingly," which is why they tend to rub me the wrong way, even when you're not entirely off-base.
When I say "low effort" here it's not that nobody is putting in work...but I don't really see any heart or soul poured into the project. It doesn't mean certain individuals won't give it their all or something but there are just so many corners cut that I don't really know what else to say. I don't really have a strong desire to pile compliments on to some middle of the road Bones show. It doesn't stand out in their catalogue beyond cashing in a pay check on what is entertainment junk food for children. It doesn't stand out against what the rest of the industry is doing.

I watch tons of stupid garbage. That's okay. I can get something out of it but it is still stupid garbage and litter is everywhere. The animation industry is huge and every single week people put in "effort". To me it's more insulting to pretend that anything going on in My Hero Academia is special. Other stupid garbage shows have more personal touches or weird neat things in them but My Hero Academia is like the definitive flat ironed production committee sort of project from my perspective.

Like look at Eromanga-sensei. An absolute bottom of the barrel property from an artistic perspective. But this week they had tons of shots establishing a single cramped alleyway just to give off the feel of the location, weird sumo stuff inserted into the visual and audio periphery, and a unique coloring filter for their flashbacks. It's not like they have to do this stuff but someone wants to do it anyway. When does My Hero Academia step outside of the box of "this needs to be a super hero show for young children" from a production standpoint?
fJLnLsm.jpg

(there's a pretty nutty effect for the window screen on this shot too for whatever reason....)

Aki-at

Sakura Quest - 11

I feel a bit bad because I was a bit harsh on Ririko last episode especially how she viewed herself, now I feel she deserved that hug from Yoshino. Pretty glad mean police officer guy got his comeuppance for being so nasty towards her too.

Celcius

°Temp. member
GranBlue Fantasy Episode 12

The most amazing episode so far. All the new fighters were amazing and it was an action packed episode. Now I'm excited about who may join the team in the future.

My Hero Academia 19

Seiji Mizushima's storyboarding for the scene between Deku and Todoroki stood out for the meaningfulness of its framing.

The contrast of shadow and light on the two characters here is obvious but still effective.

This is a particularly striking shot, both for being a visually engaging composition in itself with its geometric arrangement and slight lens distortion, and for being thematically relevant in the beam that acts as a thick barrier being Deku and Todoroki, the two of whom cannot understand each other due to their different upbringings.

Despite being outsourced to Nomad, there was quite a bit of strong character art this episode.

The intensity of the bold linework on Endeavor's eyes really jumps out and drives home how intensely and dangerously passionate he is about his goals.

This shot of Shinsou does an good job of making him ominous and frightening as he strikes at Deku with his brainwashing powers. The hatching here is well-done.

Although there is vastly less stylish experimentation in this show as compared to, say, Mob Psycho 100, there still is a bit of it from time to time that I appreciate. For example, at the aforementioned moment when Shinsou strikes at Deku, for a split-second Deku is seen in a blurry, black-and-white shot:

which is a good way of visually indicating the moment he was mentally taken over, so to speak.

Narag

Berserk (2017) 8

People talk about how the sound design is bad due to the sword clangs but no one fucking warned me Slan showed up with Hanna-Barbera running sound effects.

Berserk (2017) 8

People talk about how the sound design is bad due to the sword clangs but no one fucking warned me Slan showed up with Hanna-Barbera running sound effects.

I think people were willing to forgive that because Miyuki Sawashiro sounded great as Slan.

MartyStu

Euromanga sensei ep.11

Holy crap at Sagiri's mom.

If these two weren't that youbg and weren't siblings tgen this would come off as a cute af episode (with some typical, creepy fanservice shots)

But......

*sigh*

As I have said many times, this show could have avoided being unwatchable trash had the two main characters not been siblings.

Also the creepy loli stuff.

And the harem.

And the crappy character motivations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom