• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2017 |OT| Don't be a SukaSuka for Gacha

Status
Not open for further replies.
I suppose this is going to be subjective, because I didn't see the others as characters at all. The manga is a faded memory in my mind, so it's not like I remember all the details, but I think there's a clear hierarchy of characters... if this was a BioWare RPG, then Ishida is the main character, Nishimiya is the love interest, and the other characters are the quest givers with a few lines of dialog.

That is an incredibly shallow view of the film that eliminates a vast amount of nuance and detail. I know you are capable of seeing more than that.

Socialization is good, but it feels like teachers aren't prepared or properly trained to deal with problems that arise with children. It's all pedagogy and theories about learning, which is fine, but when kids find a girl and start posting vile things about her on her Facebook page, all your pedagogical theory doesn't mean a thing.

Like I said, the fact that three kids committed suicide in the same year in the same school district is more than an accident - it's a failure of the system.

In this story, you have two kids that try killing themselves - which again, is another failure of the system. And the solution, basically, is for the kids to "get over themselves" rather than get therapy or see a psychiatrist to get the necessarily medication to help them deal with their feelings. Of course, I don't think the film/manga is about mental health - it is just something that comes up as a result of the story that is being told.

I think the film is about mental(/emotional/psychological/spiritual) health in its examination of its characters, even if it isn't about the mental health profession. I found it incredibly meaningful within the context of my own struggles with depression and self-loathing, and I don't think "get over themselves" (which is awful advice) is an accurate summation of its themes.

While I don't wish to discredit therapy and medication - they are valuable tools for dealing with psychological struggles - I would caution against placing too much value on them as the exclusive and foolproof answer to suicidal depression. At least from my own experience, I spent years in therapy and taking medication, and while they provided some help at times they never really fixed my problems for any meaningful amount of time. I only felt like I was able to make some headway against depression after a serious suicide attempt that put me in a coma for a week, which must have been a sufficient enough shock to my system that I was able to start seriously going through the process of healing that Shoya begins after his hospital stay towards the end of A Silent Voice. In my experiences and encounters with other people struggling with depression during various treatment courses, I think there's a danger in presenting therapy and medication as the way you will get absolutely get better if your doctors can just find the right cocktails or the right therapeutic methods. When therapy and medication then keep failing to provide the relief from your emotional pain that you're seeking, it can then send you on a further spiral of hopelessness and despair.

Line_HTX

Resident Evil: Vendetta

CG was good enough to not be like Berserk, and the movie was more interesting than the other atrocity series with 7 movies.

It kind of felt like an episode of Psycho Pass, which would explain the scenario of this movie was written by the same person.

Glenn Arias is psychopathic and cheesy as fuck, and I couldn't stop laughing at the start of the final fight sequence between him and Leon. They were basically circling each other and doing nothing but exchanging rolls while the other missed point blank shots.

This movie is for fans and for those who want a few laughs of cheesiness in CG.

Maria and her echoing heels though.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
That is an incredibly shallow view of the film that eliminates a vast amount of nuance and detail. I know you are capable of seeing more than that.
My problem is that all of the nuance and detail is lost through the process of adaptation though. But again, it's because it's impossible to divorce my memories of the manga from the experience of watching the film.

For one,
Ueno is in a love triangle with Ishida and Nishimiya
. And while that's cliche, I think it explains the antagonistic nature of Ueno's relationship with Nishimiya in a manner that goes beyond being annoyed with Nishimiya's need to apologize for everything. It also explains why Ueno would even care about Ishida's hospitalization, because otherwise, what would drive her toward him?

Even Nishimiya's grandmother kind of gets the short shrift in the adaptation, and her death is basically used to show her another example of the death that Yuzuru keeps trying to capture.

I think the film is about mental(/emotional/psychological/spiritual) health in its examination of its characters, even if it isn't about the mental health profession. I found it incredibly meaningful within the context of my own struggles with depression and self-loathing, and I don't think "get over themselves" (which is awful advice) is an accurate summation of its themes.

While I don't wish to discredit therapy and medication - they are valuable tools for dealing with psychological struggles - I would caution against placing too much value on them as the exclusive and foolproof answer to suicidal depression. At least from my own experience, I spent years in therapy and taking medication, and while they provided some help at times they never really fixed my problems for any meaningful amount of time. I only felt like I was able to make some headway against depression after a serious suicide attempt that put me in a coma for a week, which must have been a sufficient enough shock to my system that I was able to start seriously going through the process of healing that Shoya begins after his hospital stay towards the end of A Silent Voice. In my experiences and encounters with other people struggling with depression during various treatment courses, I think there's a danger in presenting therapy and medication as the way you will get absolutely get better if your doctors can just find the right cocktails or the right therapeutic methods. When therapy and medication then keep failing to provide the relief from your emotional pain that you're seeking, it can then send you on a further spiral of hopelessness and despair.
The closest they really get to any help is Ishida's mother threatening to burn his money and Ueno slapping Nishimiya around though. I don't think it's a fault of the film, but it's just sort of implied that they naturally get better without any outside intervention which it's clearly more complicated than that.

Undoubtedly it's a complicated issue and that there aren't any easy solutions (I know someone who told me that if she goes off her medication for even a single day, she will start involuntarily cutting herself), but the film implies that there is no outside help for people who have these feelings outside of the self. Even family fails, since Nishimiya tries to kill herself despite her sister's and mother's awkward interventions.

I'm reminded of that "Fap Note" manga that came out years ago, which climaxes with the girl slitting her wrists in the middle of the classroom in front of all the people she hates. She's just sort of shuffled away out of sight and it's not really clear if she gets any help whatsoever.

Tiger Mask DOUBLE 37

uNQP65a.jpg
pvTR91P.jpg
XWyjqS1.jpg
b69LUAH.jpg

TORA TORA TORA TORA TORA

So this is the real finale but the next episode (the last one) is the LONG AWAITED LONG PROPHESIED SPRING TIGER AND MISS X TEAM UP EPISODE

HYPE

BasicMath

Eromanga Sensei 12
This anime keeps on breaking boundaries and is bravely leading us to new unexplored territories.

The previous episode was much, much better though. It's a shame we spend like half the season on the third book. Nothing but fanservice. I want an S2 badly.

Narag

Tiger Mask W 37

Show made a promise with episode 4 in that it'd handle the important stuff with the utmost care and oh boy did it. One of the more satisfying anime finales I've seen especially since The Third has been an amazing villain since the very beginning. Props to the writers as a whole for laying the groundwork for so much and following through on all of it especially when it came to the various character relationships. This was a revival done right.

Hanasaku Iroha 1-3
This started off strong with beautiful visuals and an interesting story. Then things got weird really fast at the end of the second episode with
the "author" getting off the hook really easily after the whole confining Ohana situation.

Qurupeke

The OP

Sorry, not sorry !
Hmm.........
First series and movie.

Alright, thanks.
Hanasaku Iroha 1-3
This started off strong with beautiful visuals and an interesting story. Then things got weird really fast at the end of the second episode with
the "author" getting off the hook really easily after the whole confining Ohana situation.

The first few episodes are really memorable. The rest of the series is quite different in tone, though the drama is still there.

Dali

Granblue Fantasy 13: Another Sky

F2P Gran makes way for the whaling Djeeta

DDGKcooVYAEFmyX.jpg

Soooo much fanservice from the game. Otherwise, it's a pretty ho-hum episode.

Feeling kind of bad for those who are missing out on the easter eggs.
Wtf actually happened? I was watching like, "is this a mind fuck episode where they are actually asleep under some spell and this Gran replacement is actually some evil entity trying to get intel?"

But the episode played it straight like replacing the protagonist just randomly out the blue is a normal and expected thing. Is djeeta in the game? I mean even if she is, it still doesn't make sense to just tag out Gran like nothing happened.

Tiger Mask W 37
DDHlg_MOXg_AA38_Y4.jpg
DDHl_ECRXk_AIpj_J.jpg

DDHm_N5p_XYAE1_EIe.jpg
DDHm_TJo_Ws_AEch3t.jpg

DDHmn_Ki_VYAAd2_I1.jpg
DDHm2_Tf_XUAAHD7w.jpg

It's beautiful. ;_;

What an absolute dynamite episode. The fight between Tiger Mask W and The Third isn't just a roaring (literally at times) good time, it's a rocking pace perfect conclusion to Tiger Mask W. The next episode focusing on Spring Tiger is the cherry on top.

jonjonaug

Wtf actually happened? I was watching like, "is this a mind fuck episode where they are actually asleep under some spell and this Gran replacement is actually some evil entity trying to get intel?"

But the episode played it straight like replacing the protagonist just randomly out the blue is a normal and expected thing. Is djeeta in the game? I mean even if she is, it still doesn't make sense to just tag out Gran like nothing happened.

She's one of the two options for the player character (and the more popular one I believe).

I haven't been watching the anime and I'm not too familiar with Granblue outside of what I've picked up from friends who do play it, but skimming episode 13 and from what I can tell on twitter, this episode is "what if we went with the other MC choice, and instead of the experience of a F2P player we showed the experience of a pay to win player" (hence the montage early on with a million waifus and husbandos and the team just creaming everything easily).

Yeah, I like that scene because at first it's an obvious visual metaphor, but it also reveals the depth of their relationship if you stop to think about how the characters are being presented. The fact that it's like a 5-10 second sequence is amazing, because it's just left to sit in your brain for you to think about subconsciously.

I think that shot works well too as the series of shots before it was showing the growing divide between the two characters.

As for the whole "objectifying" perspective, I never saw it in that light, personally. I actually saw it as two very similar people who are constantly looking down towards the ground. Characters who cannot face and look at others eye-to-eye. Which is why they are always looking towards the ground. It reinforces this by having first-person perspectives of Ishida and Nishimiya often, showing that they do look at the ground a lot when communicating with others. By doing this, it makes the ending resonate that much more.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I also thought it was strange that Gran just got subbed out in this week's episode of GranBlue Fantasy, but eh. I hope we get a second season soon.

Dali

She's one of the two options for the player character (and the more popular one I believe).

I haven't been watching the anime and I'm not too familiar with Granblue outside of what I've picked up from friends who do play it, but skimming episode 13 and from what I can tell on twitter, this episode is "what if we went with the other MC choice, and instead of the experience of a F2P player we showed the experience of a pay to win player" (hence the montage early on with a million waifus and husbandos and the team just creaming everything easily).
Well that helps a bunch in making it make sense.

Aki-at

Tiger Mask W - 37

I don't need to screencaps since everyone has done it already. So I'll just say this was one of the greatest finales I've seen, the Third was a great villain and lived upto his role in the series to the very end with how he refused to lose. The way Tiger Mask brought out all his and Tiger the Dark's moves to vanquish him was done in such a satisfying way I cannot think of anyway of doing it better. Can't wait now for the next episode, finally the much wanted friendship to blossom between Spring Tiger and Miss X is about to begin.

Kevin running around the airport screaming for Takuma at the end with all the women got a chuckle from me, he always was the number 1 Tiger the Dark fangirl.

Cornbread78

Eromanga sensei ep.12
Holy shit; there were soo many things completely wrong about this, but fuck-it, I haven't laughed that hard in a long time. That whole manga segment was hilarious stupidity.

They never really do go overboard with the ecchi shit, thankfully, and they never go full on siscon/brocon either.

Quasar

Socialization is good, but it feels like teachers aren't prepared or properly trained to deal with problems that arise with children. It's all pedagogy and theories about learning, which is fine, but when kids find a girl and start posting vile things about her on her Facebook page, all your pedagogical theory doesn't mean a thing.

Like I said, the fact that three kids committed suicide in the same year in the same school district is more than an accident - it's a failure of the system.

Fucking social media. So glad I wasn't growing up with that shit. I also wonder where the parents are.

My problem is that all of the nuance and detail is lost through the process of adaptation though. But again, it's because it's impossible to divorce my memories of the manga from the experience of watching the film.

It's not fair to say that the film adaptation loses all nuance and detail. Or at least, since I can't compare it to the manga, it has plenty of its own nuance and detail even if it doesn't carry over everything that the manga has. It's a very dense film that expects a lot out of its audience and is overflowing with nuanced audiovisual storytelling and thematic exploration, down to the use of flower language scattered throughout.

The closest they really get to any help is Ishida's mother threatening to burn his money and Ueno slapping Nishimiya around though. I don't think it's a fault of the film, but it's just sort of implied that they naturally get better without any outside intervention which it's clearly more complicated than that.

Undoubtedly it's a complicated issue and that there aren't any easy solutions (I know someone who told me that if she goes off her medication for even a single day, she will start involuntarily cutting herself), but the film implies that there is no outside help for people who have these feelings outside of the self. Even family fails, since Nishimiya tries to kill herself despite her sister's and mother's awkward interventions.

I'm reminded of that "Fap Note" manga that came out years ago, which climaxes with the girl slitting her wrists in the middle of the classroom in front of all the people she hates. She's just sort of shuffled away out of sight and it's not really clear if she gets any help whatsoever.

I don't think "naturally get better" is a good description, as if it's something that happened in total isolation, rather how the film shows how their interactions with others gradually open up new possibilities and modes of thinking for both Shoya and Shoko. You just have to look at the final moments of the film to see that it's trying to drive home that companionship with others is something that plants seeds of healing and forgiveness.

Now you are correct in noting that there is no sign of mental health professionals anywhere in the film, and in a real-life situation akin to what Shoya and Shoko go through I would certainly recommend seeking the assistance of therapists and psychiatrists. While I have heard some accounts which seem to indicate that seeking professional assistance for psychological issues is more frowned upon in Japan than in other countries such as the US, I am no expert in that field myself and cannot say how true that is or whether that is a reason why that field is not depicted in this story. (For an anime which does depict mental health professionals, albeit in an eccentric manner, I recommend Trapeze.) Still, as long as you don't view A Silent Voice as a how-to manual on curing depression, which I don't believe it's attempting to be, and see in it an exploration of the messy issues that arise when dealing with personal flaws and failures of communication and understanding, which suggests avenues of hope while not claiming to have definitive answers, I think it's a valuable piece of storytelling with respectful treatment of its characters and issues.

Fucking social media. So glad I wasn't growing up with that shit.

That is a major problem for today's children. I was recently talking about matters of bullying with my mother, who is a therapist working with inner-city children and families, and she has seen how omnipresent social media on smartphones allows bullying to follow a child home from school and consume their entire life, leaving no time or place for refuge.

Tiger Mask W: END

What's the point of making the last episode something completely unrelated to the main plot if that finished today?

Also LMAO at all of those thirsty ass women at the end.
none of the ships sailed

MSMrRound

So they changed the MC to FeMC just because it was a beach episode? Wow.

Uhh....no?

Like what someone else mentioned, Djeeta is the other player avatar choice in the game.

To sum it up the actual last episode was episode 12 and episode 13 of Granblue Fantasy was actually considered an OVA cuz CyGames wanted to throw a bone for Djeeta fans of the game.

For someone that played the game, Djeeta is actually quite overpowered compared to Gran. E.g more characters on the ship (meaning Djeeta side MC actually did more gacha rolls compared to Gran's F2P way of navigating through the game)

E.g compared to Gran's side, Djeeta had actually unlocked at least one of the 4th class in the game which puts her at at least Rank 101+ and above as teased by this image: https://twitter.com/mirairoid/status/878640928583438337 (Superstar via 3rd tier of job branches and Warlock from the 4th)

or how Djeeta got through the Tiamat fight with relative ease (https://twitter.com/Yukina_gurasoku/status/878653926521815040) (no blood on her face compared to Gran) implied that Djeeta's weapon grid was actually at a fairly decent level)

It was further solidified in the middle->later part of the episode where Djeeta was basically taking all of the enemies head on but was basically just flyswatting them away.
(https://twitter.com/takoyaki515/status/878647994383335424)

OPPPPP.

But...I'll admit you guys are right in a sense.

There's a special SSR weapon/swimsuit skins for both Gran/Djeeta packaged with one o the blu-rays, no better setting for Cygames to hardsell them but a beach episode!

So yea, this episode was basically a OVA ep where Gran was retconned and Djeeta was actually the one having the adventures instead, that was why it was called "Another Sky". I know it must have been really confusing for the anime-only watchers...so just think of it as a "what-if" OVA instead of the final episode that you were thinking.

E.g like Fate Grand Order's OVA featuring the female MC instead of the generic male MC

DDGTnqiUIAA6IDl.jpg

Anyway, Gran's story was just beginning. Depending on the sale (and trust me, lots of in-game players have been whaling on the Blu-rays and DVDs for the bonuses), there will be more for them to adapt (just hopefully they will find a better studio though...)

Tunoku

Finished the first season of Silver Spoon. It's past 2 am here so I'm not gonna bother writing a long post, but want to say that it's probably one of my favorite slice of life shows and I'm wondering why I haven't seen it sooner. It was just the show I needed right now.

L.O.R.D

Tiger Mask W e37

man,this was exploding episode,really love it.

but,why they are using the same mask?

mqFrhOt.jpg

h02S3yS.jpg

shouldn't they use opposite to each other?

i thought it's only 39 episode,but i am hearing episode 38 is the final episode.

Finished the first season of Silver Spoon. It's past 2 am here so I'm not gonna bother writing a long post, but want to say that it's probably one of my favorite slice of life shows and I'm wondering why I haven't seen it sooner. It was just the show I needed right now.

Now watch S2

Now that I'm caught up on Made in Abyss manga, its going to be interesting to see how the hell the adapt certain aspects without major censorship. Also the show will include a mofu type character.

Now that I'm caught up on Made in Abyss manga, its going to be interesting to see how the hell the adapt certain aspects without major censorship. Also the show will include a mofu type character.

What were the story spoilers about this again that made the whole thing messed up?

I could have sworn there was a GAF OT for this manga at one point where people said what happens, but I can't find it anywhere.

Shergal

What were the story spoilers about this again that made the whole thing messed up?

I could have sworn there was a GAF OT for this manga at one point where people said what happens, but I can't find it anywhere.

Mad scientist and his lackeys dismember children and turn them into portable cartridges in order to circumvent the effect where going upwards while inside the Abyss causes some sort of decompression sickness on roids that can literally mutate people into mindless blobs or outright kill them

After reading the manga though, it's not as edgy as it sounds. I mean, the story doesn't revolve around this kind of gimmick; it's a straight up adventure. If anything, the more problematic thing is the artist being a pedo lmao

Mad scientist and his lackeys dismember children and turn them into portable cartridges in order to circumvent the effect where going upwards while inside the Abyss causes some sort of decompression sickness on roids that can literally mutate people into mindless blobs or outright kill them

After reading the manga though, it's not as edgy as it sounds. I mean, the story doesn't revolve around this kind of gimmick; it's a straight up adventure. If anything, the more problematic thing is the artist being a pedo lmao

I was talking about the later of the two issues, random nudity just because.

Jintor

i can't say i'm into the soft colouring style the show sometimes drops into, i think it's just trying to emulate horishiki's colour spreads though

DNAbro

I do hope they drop the really awkward nudity from it. It's my one complaint from the manga so far.

Kickz

Hanasaku Iroha 1-3

There's still alot of drama as the show goes on, I found it to be a pretty good ride.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom