• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2017 |OT| Don't be a SukaSuka for Gacha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gantz:0 - I decided to watch this on a whim last night since it was on Netflix. This was my first entry into the Gantz universe; all I knew about it before hand was just it's a very violent series. For the most part it seemed like a pretty cool movie. Definitely seems like something made for the fans since characters were introduced with very little backstory. The CGI was very well done. I know television has nowhere near the same budget, but I feel like a film like this proves how effective CGI can be used in Anime.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
So yea, this episode was basically a OVA ep where Gran was retconned and Djeeta was actually the one having the adventures instead, that was why it was called "Another Sky". I know it must have been really confusing for the anime-only watchers...so just think of it as a "what-if" OVA instead of the final episode that you were thinking.

E.g like Fate Grand Order's OVA featuring the female MC instead of the generic male MC

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DDGTnqiUIAA6IDl.jpg

Anyway, Gran's story was just beginning. Depending on the sale (and trust me, lots of in-game players have been whaling on the Blu-rays and DVDs for the bonuses), there will be more for them to adapt (just hopefully they will find a better studio though...)
They should just remake the entire series with Deej.

I think that shot works well too as the series of shots before it was showing the growing divide between the two characters.

As for the whole "objectifying" perspective, I never saw it in that light, personally. I actually saw it as two very similar people who are constantly looking down towards the ground. Characters who cannot face and look at others eye-to-eye. Which is why they are always looking towards the ground. It reinforces this by having first-person perspectives of Ishida and Nishimiya often, showing that they do look at the ground a lot when communicating with others. By doing this, it makes the ending resonate that much more.
The "feet" shots from the point of view of the various characters are certainly like that, but there are shots of Ueno in particularly that in any other context would be considered male gaze shots. But these shots reveal as much about Ueno as it does about how Ishida looks at Ueno.

Fucking social media. So glad I wasn't growing up with that shit. I also wonder where the parents are.
Yep, I can't imagine. The sad thing there is that they tried to implement a law here that in part allows police to investigate cyberbullying (after a much publicized case of rape and naked pictures being posted online), but it was ruled unconstitutional and three suicides later, no one has done a thing. I can't imagine being a kid now.

It's not fair to say that the film adaptation loses all nuance and detail. Or at least, since I can't compare it to the manga, it has plenty of its own nuance and detail even if it doesn't carry over everything that the manga has. It's a very dense film that expects a lot out of its audience and is overflowing with nuanced audiovisual storytelling and thematic exploration, down to the use of flower language scattered throughout.
I don't know if we disagree. My problem is with the script that they ended up shooting (well, "drawing" I suppose) rather than what they shot.

I don't think "naturally get better" is a good description, as if it's something that happened in total isolation, rather how the film shows how their interactions with others gradually open up new possibilities and modes of thinking for both Shoya and Shoko. You just have to look at the final moments of the film to see that it's trying to drive home that companionship with others is something that plants seeds of healing and forgiveness.
Sure, it's the Persona 3, 4, and presumably 5 solution of friendship/power of love solving all your problems. I think that's fair because it's not really trying to be more than that, but even a trashy show like Riverdale pretends to have authority figures who are trying to look out for the kids under their care.

Now you are correct in noting that there is no sign of mental health professionals anywhere in the film, and in a real-life situation akin to what Shoya and Shoko go through I would certainly recommend seeking the assistance of therapists and psychiatrists. While I have heard some accounts which seem to indicate that seeking professional assistance for psychological issues is more frowned upon in Japan than in other countries such as the US, I am no expert in that field myself and cannot say how true that is or whether that is a reason why that field is not depicted in this story. (For an anime which does depict mental health professionals, albeit in an eccentric manner, I recommend Trapeze.) Still, as long as you don't view A Silent Voice as a how-to manual on curing depression, which I don't believe it's attempting to be, and see in it an exploration of the messy issues that arise when dealing with personal flaws and failures of communication and understanding, which suggests avenues of hope while not claiming to have definitive answers, I think it's a valuable piece of storytelling with respectful treatment of its characters and issues.
Yeah, it's why I started with the fact that I don't think it's really fair to necessarily put it all on the movie, since it's not really about that. It's just rather unfortunate that the kids are basically left to suffer alone and find their own path out of their suffering - as evidenced by the final shot of the film where the two characters are basically walking out of the darkness together:
wqHcAkIl.jpg

My Hero Academia 20

DDJASO9XoAAffSX.jpg
DDJAT7hXYAIua_2.jpg

Gotta love those Umakoshi-style eyes.

The Shinsou fight was fine, but not he's not developed enough as a character for the sentimental ending to have the impact the series wants. There's potential with the tension between the nature of his brainwashing power and his desire to become a hero, but a single brief flashback isn't enough to properly flesh that out. Todoroki, on the other hand, continues to be the most interesting character in this tournament.

- J - D -

Gantz:0 - I decided to watch this on a whim last night since it was on Netflix. This was my first entry into the Gantz universe; all I knew about it before hand was just it's a very violent series. For the most part it seemed like a pretty cool movie. Definitely seems like something made for the fans since characters were introduced with very little backstory. The CGI was very well done. I know television has nowhere near the same budget, but I feel like a film like this proves how effective CGI can be used in Anime.

This was gorgeous but I had no idea what was going on.

I don't know if we disagree. My problem is with the script that they ended up shooting (well, "drawing" I suppose) rather than what they shot.

We disagree in that I don't think Reiko Yoshida's script here is bad.

Sure, it's the Persona 3, 4, and presumably 5 solution of friendship/power of love solving all your problems. I think that's fair because it's not really trying to be more than that, but even a trashy show like Riverdale pretends to have authority figures who are trying to look out for the kids under their care.

I don't think the film pretends that everyone's problems are "solved" by the end, let alone that the "power of love" solves everything.

blurr

My Hero Academia 20

The Shinsou fight was fine, but not he's not developed enough as a character for the sentimental ending to have the impact the series wants. There's potential with the tension between the nature of his brainwashing power and his desire to become a hero, but a single brief flashback isn't enough to properly flesh that out. Todoroki, on the other hand, continues to be the most interesting character in this tournament.

I think the parallel between Midoriya and Shinou's stories kind of add to the depth. Midoriya knows exactly how he feels but he couldn't respond to him, it goes on in his mind during the battle.

Narag

Tiger Mask W: END

What's the point of making the last episode something completely unrelated to the main plot if that finished today?

Also LMAO at all of those thirsty ass women at the end.
none of the ships sailed

obv an epilogue to lead us into the next show

Tiger Mask W e37

man,this was exploding episode,really love it.

but,why they are using the same mask?

mqFrhOt.jpg

h02S3yS.jpg

shouldn't they use opposite to each other?

i thought it's only 39 episode,but i am hearing episode 38 is the final episode.

It was scheduled at 39 but there was a week delay so something was obv dropped.

As for the masks,, Haruna said she'd make real versions of the one she cobbled together. Technically they're both Tiger Mask W and I choose to believe this over production error!!!!

LotusHD

Banned
This has been discussed, but yes other than a few select fights, most of that tournament was hot garbage. Good thing is we are back with some interesting story lines

Certainly wouldn't call it hot garbage, but in terms of fights, yea it was lacking. Surprisingly (Or unsurprisingly? It is DBZ's bread and butter I suppose) DBS is probably gonna do a better job in that regard.

L.O.R.D

obv an epilogue to lead us into the next show

It was scheduled at 39 but there was a week delay so something was obv dropped.

As for the masks,, Haruna said she'd make real versions of the one she cobbled together. Technically they're both Tiger Mask W and I choose to believe this over production error!!!!
Maybe it was intentional,when the two face each other face to face,you can see who is fighting,so maybe that's why?

Xez6pbs.jpg

e8Y7mQK.jpg

Narag

Maybe it was intentional,when the two face each other face to face,you can see who is fighting,so maybe that's why?

ideally haruna gets her own series, takuma gets a haircut, and we're never quite sure which Tiger Mask W guest stars at any given moment

pbayne

Tiger Mask 37

Fantastic finale(shh next week dosent count). Njpw really timed that ibushi appearance well. Lol at Naito, biggest heel in the company, saving the day in the end.
Now piss off Tiger there's a new queen in town.

petran79

Banned
Little Witch Academia 20-24

While I agree that first part is mostly uninteresting, second part of the series rises many steps above. The last episodes reach classic Trigger status, with some cuts in animation unfortunately. Lotte, Sucie,Amanda and co where put on the sideline. Now focus is on Diana,Akko and the two rival sensei.
This is the first time real character development actually steps in. For a while I felt the classic Gainax vibe.

Episode 24 reminded me of the Diabolos fight in Yucie. I wonder whether LWA was based on the drafts for the cancelled Princess Yucie sequel.

Anyway,series deserves a spot for one ofthe best of 2017,especially with that animation that now like Ghibili seems like a relic of the past.

Blue Gender is next on my list to conquer.

I decided to add Xamd and Zegapain too. During those years I was relying too much on reader reviews and did skip those series,naively thinking that TV anime with great story and animation would pop out forever.
Now where I lost touch with new series and those ones reached classic status,I'll better fill the gap.

Kickz

Certainly wouldn't call it hot garbage, but in terms of fights, yea it was lacking. Surprisingly (Or unsurprisingly? It is DBZ's bread and butter I suppose) DBS is probably gonna do a better job in that regard.

Also greatly preferred the Hunter Exam, Chuunin Exams and The Dark Tournament.
But the good thing is the tournament was short for MHA and they can forget about it and move on more serious stuff like this current serial killer villain.

Narag

Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid 5

Show is so good when it's just doing the domestic thing. Feels like I say that about too many comedies.

blurr

Blue Blazes 01

I've never seen a live action show be so anime and for the right reasons.

Everyone here should watch this.

Narag

Finally got my grubby little paws on Discotek's Arcadia of My Youth release and holy shit, it's one of those "seeing it again for the very first time experiences." Movie looks amazing especially compared to the previous NA release that was an ugly Animeigo DVD. It's matted 16:9 despite being animated in 4:3 as its OAR. Discotek BD includes the 4:3 version of the film albeit in SD but a welcome extra nonetheless. Both the JP BD and DVD were remastered for 16:9 in their releases so it's hard for me to work up any ire over the 4:3 version being neglected as the theatrical extras are also 16:9. All signs point to 16:9 being the intended viewing experience (now at least) and I could swear I read that animating movies then using a matted version for the theater was done that way back then due to being more cost effective. Regardless, this is probably the best this movie has ever looked.

-Minsc-

Kado 10-11

On the one hand I don't mind my ship sailing, but on the other one million ansitropic hands fuck everything about where this show went.

I hope the negotiation in the final episode is just a dragon ball z style fight because fuck it why not it's anime.

Kado took a shounen battle anime then find/replaced "battle" with "negotiate".

then let this be our final NEGOTIATE.

For the final episode they need to go all out Phoenix Wright (games).

*desk slam*

NEGOTIATE!

zaShunina will be surprised.

Thud

Dragonball Super 96

Sasuga Jiren. And Freeza gonna pull a Zamassu lol.

Tiger Mask W

So good. All the techniques in one fight. Simple but effective.

All the ships have flown hah, poor Kevin. Luckily we still have best girl for one more episode.

Did anyone here keep up with ATOM: The Beginning? Did it ever get better, or did they keep with the episodic approach where episodes had almost little to do with AI itself , and where at some point they squeeze their noses and laugh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom