• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2017 |OT| Don't be a SukaSuka for Gacha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
My Hero Academia Season 2, Episode 4:

Yea, this series really does like to drink from the Hunter X Hunter inspiration but I will credit the series to have enough of its own imagination to come up with original designs. Indeed, the deeper, more cerebral enzymes are starting to really come to the fore as once again a lesser show would have had everybody focus on Deku and that would be it in terms over the overall structure. MHA is finally getting around to fixing one of principle flaws I had with its first season and that was the dreadful handling of the supporting cast.An example is an early payoff to the Class B storyline that happens independent of the main story and gives much needed layering to the proceedings.

javac

zX4dfRu.jpg
I've waited so long for this

Chase17

AoT 29
Renier is a beast lol. Will be interested to learn more about Ymir/whatever that language is.

This season has been really enjoyable. It's been nice seeing the supporting cast fleshed out.

Ascheroth

Kado 03

Continues to be stellar. Definitely gets the vast difference between humanity and zaShunina right.

Bahamut Virgin Soul 03

FAVAROOOOO
...hasn't appeared yet, but he was mentioned!
Next episode is going to be bloody (awesome).

MHA 17

So fucking good.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Attack on Titan Season 2, Episode 4:

In Norse mythology the name Ymir means The Mother of All Giants so along with the foreshadowing sprinkled in through this episode she being a Titan Shifter is quite the nice payoff. Also,it is nice this is a series that not only has gay people in it but also that isn't the sole defining characteristic of their persona. Also, Renier can bench press a titan, that seems odd.

AoT 29
Renier is a beast lol. Will be interested to learn more about Ymir/whatever that language is.

This season has been really enjoyable. It's been nice seeing the supporting cast fleshed out.

Yep, I would say that from here onwards AoT is more a series with a ensemble cast.

blurr

My Hero Academia 17

That was a very interesting team Midoriya got himself built, regardless of him losing, it should at least prove to be entertaining seeing how the team aids him.

I cannot wait for the next episode.

Virgin Soul 03

Anime can be actually good, who knew ?

I'm skeptical of whether the writing chops are there to deliver more than just a fun romp but I'll take that too with this execution. This was mostly all buildup and it still flew by.

Disappointed in Rita for not catching the identity of the master ahead of time.

Okay I suppose I can't stall this forever.

Yuki Yuna: Washio Sumi no Shou - Movie 2
gvIi0q1.jpg
Jesus
Pretty much the same format as the first movie and series: Fill the first three-quarters with obligatory cute girls doing cute things, then just rev up the suffering. It did feel really detached to me, because the two sequences were interspersed and integrated together as well as the series, or even as well as the first movie.

That fucking ending though, goddamn.

Jarmel

Banned
Re:Creators-3
4cnR7zJ.jpg

verbal diarhea
Yea this is pretty bad. It's taking way too long to set up and too much time this episode was confirming something you could easily deduce in half the time. Not to mention the male main character just seems completely detached from the surrounding events.

There's no real drive in the narrative at this point. It's just meandering.

how is that new show by inuyasha/Ranma lady? Kyokai no Rinne or w/e it's called? Is it still the same will they/wont they bullshit throughout the whole show?

It's pretty funny, but if you did not like the will they/won't they thing, you probably won't like it. Also Sentai decided they didn't want to give either CR or Amazon the streaming rights of season 3.

John Blade

vz6d3dkij4m2gudetgzedgcnsiq2tgqe_hq.jpg

Man....Junichi have very low expectation for trying to get a girl even been okay to be in love with Risa Kamizaki which she kinda sabotage Junichi dating any girls by spreading lies and making the girl hate him. Also, she did something which trigger what happen to Junichi 2 years ago which she explain the reason she did it at that time. Kinda open up a mixed bag when you think about it a bit.

This ending for this arc is meh for me. I guess because this is just a one episode arc, they isn't much you can do to develop any character development between them except flashback and long dialogue talking which you see here. In a way, with the personality from Risa Kamizaki, I don't think it's a wise idea to be lover as she have this stalker feel who really want Junichi badly to the point she does bad thing just to keep him for herself. I guess you can say she is very committed with this one side love to the point she will kidnap Junichi and break his leg and arm (or tie them so he can't run away) and keep him in her home where she will force him to make love with her to the point she have baby from him. Kinda a scary horror hentai we get here from this idea.......which I think they is one based on the same idea.

Either way, Risa Kamizaki is the best girl for you if you like someone who stalk you when you're out and know about your life from top to the bottom and will be committed to the relationship to the point she will hurt you if you try to leave this relationship with her. Also, she have this shy quiet look but more like a double face of her.
340068-risa_kamizaki_super.jpg

Well, finish this series and have to say, it's an interesting concept of how it try to tell the story. Not really a big fan as you have this issue with telling a good story and development of the characters with this limited episode arc. Still, if work decently and for some of the arc, it's very well down. I do wish the arc of the girl is a bit longer (another episode or two) as it might help build a bit more of the character development and maybe the story. Other than that, it's an okay school romance show and would recommend to people to watch it if their want to try out dating sims games convert into anime as the same format as it will be an interesting watch while it last. But if they want a serious high school romance, I would avoid this and look at other type in the market (for me, Kare Kano might be a good example of a very good high school romance for what it try to do).

Well, I am off to watch the SS OVA and will make an impression about this later.

(Update Note:) For Anime Gaf, I am not going to rank which is the best waifu in this show as it's silly to discuss about here and it does bring out the dark side of Anime Gaf when you try to discuss about it. So, not going to post about this here.

John Blade Impression of this show.
0giuGCU.gif

NeonZ

how is that new show by inuyasha/Ranma lady? Kyokai no Rinne or w/e it's called? Is it still the same will they/wont they bullshit throughout the whole show?

Rinne follows an episodic romantic comedy format with some fighting once in a while like Ranma, rather than shounen adventure like Inuyasha.

I just wish the direction weren't so mediocre though. The afterlife in Rinne looks really boring and normal even though there are some distinct set pieces like the literal 'wheel of rebirth'.

Attack on Titan 29

While I don't think Isayama (the mangaka) is a good artist, he is really good at making visually striking moments like these, and the anime team has done a really good job translating that over.

Good episode all around. The show actually looks consistently good.

lbsa

Rinne follows an episodic romantic comedy format with some fighting once in a while like Ranma, rather than shounen adventure like Inuyasha.

I just wish the direction weren't so mediocre though. The afterlife in Rinne looks really boring and normal even though there are some distinct set pieces like the literal 'wheel of rebirth'.

That, plus the comedy gets really repetitive. The joke how
Rinne is poor gets run down to the ground hard

John Blade

maxresdefault.jpg

A very nice brother and sister relationship bonus episode. Give you a warm feeling a bit of how close they're together and how much Miya worry about her brother even though she doesn't have to.
Fs68dKx.gif

Ascheroth

Sword Oratoria 02

Lots of skin and stuff. Nothing much happening. Though now I want to have more of the main story again.

Re:Creators 03

I wish they would stop overexplaining shit. This show isn't really good when there's just talking and no ridiculous shit happening while Sawano music is blasting out of the speakers, and this episode was only talking, so yeah.

John Blade

Damm...now that I know about Risa Kamizaki, she is poking out in the OVA right now. Man....kinda creepy to notice her now and a have a feeling the animator might have put her in the show if you look for her.

Nothing too crazy about the SS OVA as it's basically a few minutes of each of the female character arc with Junichi. Majority of them is okay for the most part but they're fun to watch. I don't think you need to watch this as it isn't really important for the main story. More like a side story if you want more of the female characters you like to see more.

Overall, a fun quick fix till I go watch SS+.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
My Hero Academia 17
The set up made it seem like there would be interesting interactions between the heroes where they flexed their powers...and this episode just really underdelivers on that. Really there is just not much going on, and when the characters come up against each other the outcome is typically just one thing canceling out another. There's some storyline about the underdog team sweeping everyone away but it happens almost entirely off screen. This competition arc is kind of just soured through for me though. There is almost no intensity to what is going on here when the stakes are so low, and these characters really put the brakes on with their powers going up against each other. Shounen stuff like this aims for a very young demographic to begin with but honestly, MHA feels like it aims even lower like that. Maybe some kid is too young for Naruto and this fills the void.

Ascheroth

So now that 3 weeks have passed, here's my updated list:

Great: MHA2, Kado, Bahamut2, SukaSuka
Good: ID-0
Potentially good but with caveats: Alice and Zouroku, Re:Creators
Inexplicably above average junk food: Bastard Instructor
Mediocre: Grimoire of Zero
Junk food: Armed Girls Machiavellism, Clockwork Planet, Sword Oratoria
Dropped: Sakurada Reset

On hold: AoT S2

Lots of praise for this Kado. A couple of questions since I won't be able to check it out until, potentially, tomorrow:

- I see it has an episode 0. Is this an actual episode?
- Are the CG and animation crappy?
- I read some characters in this are hand drawn while others are 3D models. How jarring is that in motion if it's true?
- Lastly, how's the tone in this so far, plot wise?

Tonton

Is this Bahamut thing a sequel?

Wondering what's worth picking up this season, seems this and Kado are getting good reception?

Re:Creators 03

This show really is complete garbage, and its on purpose too? I have no idea why someone thought that the "high concept" model of LN writing was something to emulate but its really not.

When a character talks its to do one of these things -

1. Long winded explanation of some nonsensical bullshit that doesn't matter
2. Some deep and foreboding foreshadowing of things that will never happen
3. Bad meta jokes
4. "My character descriptions"

MaiDragon Specials 01-02

yeah boy

So now that 3 weeks have passed, here's my updated list:

Great: MHA2, Kado, Bahamut2, SukaSuka
Good: ID-0
Potentially good but with caveats: Alice and Zouroku, Re:Creators
Inexplicably above average junk food: Bastard Instructor
Mediocre: Grimoire of Zero
Junk food: Armed Girls Machiavellism, Clockwork Planet, Sword Oratoria
Dropped: Sakurada Reset

On hold: AoT S2

You should check out Tsukigakirei! One of this season's best show along side MHA.

My Hero Academia Episode 17 - Fun episode. I loved the Cavalry battle when I originally read the manga and honestly I consider it the best part of the sports festival. It has the same issue as both the Hunter Exam and Chuunin Exam where when it becomes a standard 1v1 battle tournament that it gets less interesting.

Attack on Titan Episode 29 - Foreshadowing out the wazoo. One thing I have to concur with MetroidPrimeRib is I absolutely love how Studio Wit has translated the art direction into Animation. Especially those creepy ass still shots. I honestly thought Reiner was going to F5 that Mini-Titan. lol

KraytarJ

My Hero Academia 17
Modoriya formed himself quite the team even with Iida turning him down, Todoroki's team is OP af tho. Nice to see the tournament in full swing with class A's desire to be the best at all costs hurting them right away, although maybe needling Bakugo wasn't the best call by that class B guy?

Attack on Titan 29
Basically played out as I expected but it's really feeling like this season won't offer much in the end but hopefully I'm wrong. I really want to know more about this "Titan" race and what's been driving them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom