• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix announces its Jump Festa lineup

ethelred said:
Clearly you do since your impressions are 100% wrong.

Not at all. If someone were to tell me that a particular book was about some jovial character that resembled someone from a boy band, set in a world with high-end technological influences, then I wouldn't even bother reading it. That's all I would need to know. I'm sure the game is great for people that like to read about that stuff, but I can't tolerate it. If I'm not going to read about something like that, why would I bother playing a story-drive game about it? :lol

we can expect new FFXIII footage, since Nomura (or Toriyama, can't remember which) basically confirmed two weeks ago that we'd be seeing more before the end of the year.

Hopefully it's a bit more comprehensive trailer, showing some other characters. I wonder if a Famitsu spread with even more goods will proceed/follow the festa? :)

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
NintendosBooger said:
I'm not bothering with another FF on any platform until they remove the characters from the godawful sci-fi and cyber-punk setting and return them to the proper medieval/industrial-era theme. :mad:

I take it you don't even know what cyber-punk is.

Mau ®

They better show something new from FFXIII (I think they confirmed they were?) and actually release it to the starved public.

The lack of Crisis Core is shocking. They showed realtime gameplay at TGS, why are they so mum on it?. It if has been moved to PS2 then Megaton confirmed...poor PSP I think it is truly going to die....

I was also hoping for Crystal Chronicles Wii, easily my most anticipated Wii game. Maybe it'll be a surprise?

As long as they show something new on FFXIII then its fine.

I'm not bothering with another FF on any platform until they remove the characters from the godawful sci-fi and cyber-punk setting and return them to the proper medieval/industrial-era theme. :mad:

Then go play FFXII . They have never done true sci fi with FF until XIII, why are people afraid of change! GOD!

ethelred

NintendosBooger said:
Not at all. If someone were to tell me that a particular book was about some jovial character that resembled someone from a boy band, set in a world with high-end technological influences, then I wouldn't even bother reading it. That's all I would need to know. I'm sure the game is great for people that like to read about that stuff, but I can't tolerate it. If I'm not going to read about something like that, why would I bother playing a story-drive game about it? :lol

And I say again: Your impressions are completely and 100% wrong. But whatever -- you just want to troll here since the games aren't on a Nintendo console any longer, so have at it.

Cedille

As squareenix developers said 'We probably show you the actual game at next (2007) E3' and 'We can't start to develop FFXIII indeed till we get the engine finished', I personally doubt we will be able to watch new FFXIII / Versus footages.

Tabris

NintendosBooger said:
Why would I need to play the game if I've read the reviews? Again, FF is heavily story-driven and that's what I mainly focus on when purchasing RPGs. I'm not criticizing the game-play at all, just the character information, setting, and theme. I don't need to play the game to get all the necessary information on those things.

Haha, man, Nintendo fanboys are out in drones.

What I love the most is the people that cheer for FFXII:RW but diss FFXII.

Mau ®

Cedille said:
As squareenix developers said 'We probably show you the actual game at next (2007) E3' and 'We can't start to develop FFXIII indeed till we get the engine finished', I personally doubt we will be able to watch new FFXIII / Versus footages.

That's not what they said.

They will probably show a playable build at E3, the actual game has already been shown (it wasnt all CG, it has realtime stuff with JAGGIES!). The White Engine is a work in progress, yes, but they also Said that revision of the White engine will come even after the release of FFXIII.

They confirmed new XIII media before the end of the year. Expect a new FFXIII spread on Famitsu 2 or 3 days before Jump Festa.

Petrarca

Banned
aparisi2274 said:
Does anyone know whats added? Or is it the USA version just rereleased on BR for Japan?

it's a complete edition with extra fight scenes between Cloud and Sephiroth

here's pics from some old thread

ACCPosterbigger.jpg

DENGEKIPS2-1%20FF7ACC.jpg

ethelred said:
And I say again: Your impressions are completely and 100% wrong. But whatever -- you just want to troll here since the games aren't on a Nintendo console any longer, so have at it.

I haven't played a FF game since VI (for the SNES). But hey, let my screen name do all the talking. Snap judgments ftl :)

Ah, more fanspooge for AC then.

Also, wasn't there supposed to be a playable demo for Crisis Core before the end of the year? At least, that's what Nomura's hate-filled bile spew said.

Tabris

NintendosBooger said:
I haven't played a FF game since VI (for the SNES). But hey, let my screen name do all the talking. Snap judgments ftl :)

Actually it's your snap judgements on FFXII which ethelred is quoting.

It's obvious you're a Nintendo fanboy. All 5 entries since VI have been varied entries with different themes, characters, stories and gameplay mechanics.

inthezone said:

They will probably show a playable build at E3, the actual game has already been shown (it wasnt all CG, it has realtime stuff with JAGGIES!). The White Engine is a work in progress, yes, but they also Said that revision of the White engine will come even after the release of FFXIII.

They confirmed new XIII media before the end of the year. Expect a new FFXIII spread on Famitsu 2 or 3 days before Jump Festa.

Yeah, I figured something from Famitsu.
I hope we get:
-some kind of story synopsis
-a few character unveils
-a couple new location shots, showing FFXIII's (hopeful) diversity.
-more details on the battles, possibly a few shots showing multiple party members.

If S-E is going to have something playable by May, I'd hope the groundwork for that is already set.

Ashodin

NintendosBooger said:
In case you didn't know, fantasy encompasses multitudes of genres, steampunk, medieval, tech, cyberpunk, future, all of it. Since Final Fantasy isn't limited to storyline and setting (only limited to franchise staples, like the spells); they can do creative things with the storyline. This is what has made Final Fantasy more fun over the years. If you want a more medieval newage Final Fantasy, go play FFXI. It's the closest you'll get.

CC DS, CC Wii, CC PSP....CC debacle lol. Lack of Front Mission 1st DS too.

Pretty much everything announced but those games.

I guess they would announce/reveal a new game on a magazine (to show on Jump Festa) rather than listing it here. So hey....don't expect Chrono Trigger DS or something like that to be announced in a cold list...full blown 4-pages in Weekly Jump is more likely. I hope they announce something though...weak showing if you don't look at DS.

Tabris said:
Actually it's your snap judgements on FFXII which etherled is quoting.

It's obvious you're a Nintendo fanboy. All 5 entries since VI have been varied entries with different themes, characters, stories and gameplay mechanics.

And I'm not denying that I'm a Nintendo fanboy, one who won't even bother with non-PS games, as I've pointed out in my first post in this thread, unless they revert the theme and character background to its earlier design.

NintendosBooger said:
And I'm not denying that I'm a Nintendo fanboy, one who won't even bother with non-PS games, as I've pointed out in my first post in this thread, unless they revert the theme and character background to its earlier design.
They did that with FFIX. You're just being a bitch.

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Lack of Front Mission 1st DS too.
That's not really BIG BIG event stuff though. It's just a port, there's nothing to go gaga over.
We aren't talking about Valkyrie Profile for the PSP here.

Matix

Well regarding FF7: Crisis Core for PSP, supposedly a "Playable Demo" is planned to be released by the end of this year (according to an Famitsu interview with Nomura). With this, and gameplay footage shown recently at TGS-06, I'm assuming we should be seeing more of the game soon. I just guess S-E doesn't want to take to much attention off the current DS-Cluster****ing yet at Jump Festa, since its been working for them so well.

Tabris

NintendosBooger said:
Honestly, none of you see the games and characters slowly adopting a more distastful sci-fi and hip flavor after VI?

Final Fantasy has always been "sci-fi". From the time traveling of Final Fantasy I to the Tower of Babel and Traveling to the Moon of Final Fantasy IV.

Stop being such a pro-Nintendo fanboy bitch and play games for not what system they're on but how the game actually is.

Cedille

inthezone said:
They will probably show a playable build at E3, the actual game has already been shown (it wasnt all CG, it has realtime stuff with JAGGIES!).

Ah, I just reread it and indeed you are right. Thank a lot.

Baryn

Banned
It's just a hunch, but Crystal Chronicles has probably gone back to the drawing board a couple times, since it was announced before everyone got excited about Pokemon BR's DS connectivity.

Maxrpg said:
If you want a more medieval newage Final Fantasy, go play FFXI. It's the closest you'll get.
Typo? Because FFXII is extremely medieval fantasy. Even its "technology" is rooted in magic. That said, I suppose I wouldn't mind seeing what Square could do with a FFI-VI setting on modern consoles.

madara

So lesson of this thread here is to never mention how much FF games stink since snes era, gotcha :) Will not mention a word...

ethelred

NintendosBooger said:
Honestly, none of you see the worlds and characters slowly adopting a more distastful sci-fi and hip flavor after VI? Maybe I'm just old.

Some games have adapted a more sci-fi feel, I guess, sure -- though not all.

VII wasn't too sci-fi... it was pretty modernistic.

VIII was sci-fi.

IX was as medieval as FFIV or FFV.

X wasn't even remotely sci-fi, as its technology level was lower than even what you'd find in IV, V, and VI.

XI was medieval.

XII is medieval with magical technology -- AKA the same sort of magitek they had in FFVI, and XII's technology level was on the whole barely more advanced than what what they had in VI. Basically take VI's world, advance it a few years, and voila. Hardly the Brave New World you see it as (it was also very story-driven, fyi). It's War of the Magi-level stuff, the same sort of direction VI was heading in.

PantherLotus said:
And if you like videogames, like RPGS, but don't like Sci-fi, you're a bitch. Plain and simple.

The problem isn't liking RPGs but disliking sci fi -- the problem is coming into a Square Enix thread to bitch about Square Enix games based on unfoundded and wildly-off-the-mark criticisms just because they're not Nintendo exclusive anymore.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
It's kindofa old complaint by now. I mean, if one wants a "pure" medieval fantasy game, they can hit up some western developers and play the 100th version of the same basic thing.

While I no stories are truly original (all stories are a derivative of several), Square has been evolving their storylines to make consistently compelling plotlines and characters that make people actually want to finish their games. Some of it is cheesy, certainly, some of it is predictable, sure.

Regardless, forget the setting. A good story is a good story.

PantherLotus said:
And if you like videogames, like RPGS, but don't like Sci-fi, you're a bitch. Plain and simple.

Guess I'm a bitch then. :lol I don't mind a few sci-fi elements in a more traditional RPG backdrop, but not on the level as the recent FFs. My favorite CRPGS include Planescape Torment, Baldur's Gate 1+2, Icewind Dale 1+2, Diablo 1+2, some of the Elder Scroll games, and practically every good rpg that maintains the original fantasy flare, which FF possessed at one point. If you can recommend more, please...

NintendosBooger said:
Guess I'm a bitch then. :lol I don't mind a few sci-fi elements in a more traditional RPG backdrop, but not on the level as the recent FFs. My favorite CRPGS include Planescape Torment, Baldur's Gate 1+2, Icewind Dale 1+2, Diablo 1+2, some of the Elder Scroll games, and practically every good rpg that maintains the original fantasy flare, which FF possessed at one point. If you can recommend more, please...
Eh Final Fantasy IX, Final Fantasy XI, Final Fantasy XII and maybe Final Fantasy X.

Baryn

Banned
NintendosBooger said:
Guess I'm a bitch then. :lol
I mean, you are, but I think Pantherlotus was being sarcastic.

Or am I wrong and there is someone who believes sci-fi is a must-love for everyone?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
NintendosBooger said:

OH MY GOD STOP IT

NintendosBooger said:

You say that you want fantasy medevil themes, and you didn't play Final Fantasy 9?? Yhat Game had NO cyberpunk flavor to it. Final Fantasy 10 doesn't have a cyber punk flavor, you just don't like it becuase of character design, I think. They were correct to call you a Nintendo fanboy. I bet If square gave the Wii a cyberpunk flavored Final Fantasy game you would love it.

NintendosBooger said:
Not at all. If someone were to tell me that a particular book was about some jovial character that resembled someone from a boy band, set in a world with high-end technological influences, then I wouldn't even bother reading it.
I've been playing FF XII for 60 hours, and I don't think I've been playing the game you're opposed to playing. Technology-wise, it really does feel closest to FFT or FF VI. The characters in FF VI are more jovial than the characters in XII.

NintendosBooger said:

Square has brought out a game with more Fantasy feel like the old games and less sci-fi feel. It is called Final Fantasy 9 for the PS1.

Top Bottom