• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix CEO on Rise of the Tomb Raider exclusivity: It wasn't an easy decision

Status
Not open for further replies.
why not create your own goddamn IP then instead of buying out an IP that's been multiplat for a very long time?

i'm not against 3rd party exclusives, but it's just the way this deal went down and everything about it in particular that was wrong.

Building your own IP that is not only a great game but a successful one with potenial franchise power is easier said than done.

Yep, not an easy decision indeed.

money-gifs-scrooge-mcduck1.gif

This is the type of reasoning I would give if I were sending my IP to the graveyard. SE did a nice job screwing up the future of Tomb Raider.

MS not putting up money to promote the game...it's on every XB1 box and is being pushed as one of the three big exclusives for this year. Sounds suspiciously similar to what famousmort said about Sony and EA over Titanfall, and we all know how false that turned out to be.

"Enough" money.

Maybe SE was hoping for a Halo level push?

Anyway, it's just a Reddit post

border

Yeah -- why didn't they just invent their own IP that stars one of the most recognizable and iconic lead characters in recent gaming history?!

Cmerrill

You don't need to be empathetic towards me.
It's astonishing to me, that after the "disappointing sales" of the previous 'Tomb Raider' game, that Square would go this course with the sequel.

Releasing the game a year apart on consoles is guaranteeing it won't sell as well, imo.

Hopefully all this "passion" Microsoft is investing in the game will bring sales.

maybe they were counting on quantum break to be that IP for this year, but then it got delayed and they did this to fill the gap.

really, that's the game that's closest to what ND's putting out that's exclusive to Xbox, and before either got delayed they were both coming out fall '15.
no. phil spencer basically said that this rotr shit happened specifically to combat and rival Uc4 this year (before it got delayed).

Building your own IP that is not only a great game but a successful one with potenial franchise power is easier said than done.
of course, but is that not part of the point of creating new IPs int he first place?

Gator86

They need to let it go! This is beyond baffling. I'm starting to think this deal was made before they realized how popular ps4 was really going to be and they want to appease the ps4 fans.

Basically. They chose immediate, risk-free MS cash over what they would have made from a PS4 version. It's a legitimate business move but I won't feel any sympathy for them if it doesn't work out now that the PS4 has taken off like it has. Personally, I'm renting it rather than buying it because I'd rather support companies that prefer making money from selling games as opposed to making money from withholding them.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
So they want to grow the IP by delaying its release from the platforms that it actually sells the most on? Absolutely brilliant thinking there. A huge chunk of the PS sales are from Europe. Are they assuming that Europeans are going to be buying X1 consoles in droves for the new TR?

no. phil spencer basically said that this rotr shit happened specifically to combat and rival Uc4 this year (before it got delayed).

of course, but is that not part of the point of creating new IPs int he first place?

that's what i said? they plan to have QB meet UC4, turns out that QB development is behind and the game is likely to get delayed, they grab ROTR exclusivity to make sure they have something, then later announce QB delay after UC4 is delayed officially, so now QB comes out around UC4's timeframe.

blackflag

Passion lol. I don't care about their decision. I won't get it for long after release even though I have both consoles. Their excuses are silly. Just own it and be done with it. It's silly

I'm buying an Xbox to play Tomb Raider and Battlefront this Christmas.
Extremely hyped for this game, so the exclusivity is working its magic on me.

why not create your own goddamn IP then instead of buying out an IP that's been multiplat for a very long time?

i'm not against 3rd party exclusives, but it's just the way this deal went down and everything about it in particular that was wrong.

That takes time and a lot more money, its also a huge gamble to create a tomb raide and uncharted competitor. Throwing cash at your problems is the Microsoft way.

LogN

It sounds like they do regret. Ultimately, I think they will when this game underperforms to their expectations; I don't see it selling well a full year later on PS4, especially if Uncharted is out already.

I can't see the game pushing more than two million units on just Xbox One alone, but hopefully they made enough money out of the deal to compensate. I just don't know what it'll mean for future iterations.

I'm confused. How did they come out with this announcement before the release of Tomb Raider? It legit seems like an apology to Sony because otherwise it makes absolutely zero sense to do it. It was a pretty shitty thing that SE did to Microsoft to be honest. -_-

Why are they so proud of an IP they didn't even create? Using that excuse is just as confusing as the wording that revealed the game as exclusive.

Seeing people say it sounds like regret.

Umm, how? None of those statements sounds like regret to me. If anything it sounds like they're happy with how working with Microsoft turned out.

Elandyll

Banned
I hope that he doesn't imply that MS came to them with the same kind of deal Sony has with Destiny, but for 1 year exclus for the whole game for 1 year, for the next 10 years or so.
Reading between the lines it seems to imply that the TR deal will span more than 1 game...
Really looks like a big marketing deal, moreso than anything technical frankly " Being marketed alongside Halo, Forza and Gears"

Ray Down

Banned
It sounds like they do regret. Ultimately, I think they will when this game underperforms to their expectations; I don't see it selling well a full year later on PS4, especially if Uncharted is out already.

I can't see the game pushing more than two million units on just Xbox One alone, but hopefully they made enough money out of the deal to compensate. I just don't know what it'll mean for future iterations.

I see the Bish check, are you a retailer insider?

Any chance you can give us pre-order number?

stryke

maybe they were counting on quantum break to be that IP for this year, but then it got delayed and they did this to fill the gap.

really, that's the game that's closest to what ND's putting out that's exclusive to Xbox, and before either got delayed they were both coming out fall '15.

edit: rotr exclusivity was announced aug '14, qb delay apr '15, uc4 delay march 15. If they saw that QB was behind schedule between E3 and gamescom last year and thought it might end up being delayed, and they didn't have a game to go specifically against uc4, they could've bought exclusivity for rotr, then before they announced qb was delayed uc4 is delayed and qb is delayed into a similar timeframe.

I don't buy this narrative that MS needed something to go 1 to 1 against Uncharted. It's cute people think Spencer isn't pretending to feel threatened by Uncharted when they already have Halo as a significant sales driver, moreso than Uncharted ever was for Playstation.

They got TR because they can. I think that's all there is to it.

That's the part that I worry about the most. The series could suffer going forward because of this deal. You got the majority of your console sales on the PS platforms, but go exclusive with the rival platform? Guaranteed money is worth it for one title, but this is shortsighted when the series as a whole is taken into account

LogN

That's the part that I worry about the most. The series could suffer going forward because of this deal. You got the majority of your console sales on the PS platforms, but go exclusive with the rival platform? Guaranteed money is worth it for one title, but this is shortsighted when the series as a whole is taken into account

Exactly. I'm afraid what this means for the future of the franchise; and if it doesn't perform well enough to SE expectations, will MS front the bill for future games to keep it alive?

that's what i said? they plan to have QB meet UC4, turns out that QB development is behind and the game is likely to get delayed, they grab ROTR exclusivity to make sure they have something, then later announce QB delay after UC4 is delayed officially, so now QB comes out around UC4's timeframe.
I see what you're saying but it wasn't the same as what I suggested - I don't think QB's timing had anything to do with mS watching Uc4's.
That takes time and a lot more money, its also a huge gamble to create a tomb raide and uncharted competitor. Throwing cash at your problems is the Microsoft way.
Yes, I'm not disagreeing with you there. but mS has a lot, a lot, a lot of money. they've already invested in some interesting new IPs - scalebound, QB, their fighting series KI, so if they don't have something uncharted like of their own that they'd like to have then that's their problem; denying the competition the opportunity to play a game they were going to get in the first place isn't the right way to handle the offering, but maybe it's just like you said: the mS way.

Zee-Row

Banned
As a PS4 only owner seeing Uncharted 4 and Rise of the Tomb Raider side by side on a store shelf the same year , I'm going for Uncharted first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom