• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix CEO teases 'surprise' new console JRPG, 'charged' for E3

Jamaro85

II

Vagrant-Story.jpg

For some reason I never got too far in this when it came out, but to this day I'm pretty sure I'm missing out on a great experience. Can't wait to get into this on the PSTV.

Dr. Kaos

Banned
Tobal 3?
Xenogears 2?
Xenogears never had a sequel. NEVER!
Chrono Trigger 3?

There is no way they're working on an FF7 remake. I have made my peace with that now.

Daggoth

Whatever it is, can we at least all agree that if Shinji Hashimoto is on stage, the audience needs to boo?

Or turn their backs?

How do I start a campaign for this?

Not a fan of FFVII but still bitter. Expectations are non-existent at this point.

Akainu

For some reason I never got too far in this when it came out, but to this day I'm pretty sure I'm missing out on a great experience. Can't wait to get into this on the PSTV.

I've gotten pretty far recently but I still don't get how the weapons work.

BasilZero

Final fantasy xiii trilogy
Final fantasy type-1
Final fantasy viii ps4
Final fantasy xii hd
Final fantasy dissidia reboot to ps4

They truly and wholly jumped the shark with that FFVII PS4 port stunt they pulled. There is no hype left for S-E anymore. I absolutely can't care less about any of their never ending countdown clocks or cryptic messages until the moment they actually show something interesting.

antitrop

lol

will never, ever forget that. Was such a dick move on their part.

And despite all that, probably gonna grab it on the PS4 lol.

It's my favorite game of all time and I haven't played it in a while, I am also going to grab it on PS4.

But, seriously, fuck Square so much for that. Fuck them hard and fuck them forever.

Kasper

I'm cautiously optimistic about this. Square seems to be moving somewhat in the right direction lately. I imagine this might be the first title from that new studio they were recruiting for some time back.

Shiina

It's my favorite game of all time and I haven't played it in a while, I am also going to grab it on PS4.

But, seriously, fuck Square so much for that. Fuck them hard and fuck them forever.

You hate it so much that you're going to give them money and support them pulling bullshit like that?

styl3s

Final Fantasy VII Remake
or
Final Fantasy XII HD.
FFXII makes sense for the next HD remake but my guess is it's either a new JRPG, Type-1 or a new Dragon Quest since we are long past due for a new console DQ.

As for FFVII remake, Shenmue 3 has a better chance of actually existing.

Why are people even mentioning Xenogears at all? Takahashi is what made the game what it was, and he created Monolith Soft years ago, which is now owned by Nintendo. You will never see another Gears, let alone a remake, as long as they can't get the original director again(you wouldn't even want either without him, it would be shit).

UberTag

I've given up caring at this point.

Even if it is a "new" game and not FFVIII PC hitting a new platform, it'll just play like Assassin's Creed and have a nonsense story that's buried in appendices with an open, inconclusive ending.

It'll probably be some Lightning game. Or they're just calling Dissidia Arcade a JRPG now.

Kalkano

Banned
Don't get me started this morning how this fool of a company basically helped slowed PS3's growth, and JRPG's, in Japan.

Don't forget how the industry then took the XBOX JRPG sales failures, and used logical fallacies as an excuse to stop making JRPGs for consoles, unless they're action-RPGs.

rrc1594

It says new console JRPG in the title.

Wouldn't that disqualify remasters and ports?

I don't know why people are asking for ports and remasters anyway. We need new JRPGs not old ones for nostalgic reasons

Don't forget how the industry then took the XBOX JRPG sales failures, and used logical fallacies as an excuse to stop making JRPGs for consoles, unless they're action-RPGs.

lol SE publish 2 JRPGS for Xbox. One of them MS owned, I think that's a overexaggerate much

Takao

Banned
Hey, the last time this guy vaguely teased something it turned out to be a Vita game. I'm going to take this as good news! Since it was SAGA last time, maybe Mana next?

AgeEighty

I'm not sure if it pertains to this specific story, but I think at E3 we're going to see a port of the PC version of Final Fantasy VIII for PS4, and additionally (for the first time) a PC/PS4 version of Final Fantasy IX.

Prima Games has in the works a box set of hardcover guides for all three games. The new guides for VII and VIII are said to be based on the PC versions. All three are completely rewritten from scratch, including the one for IX (removing the notorious PlayOnline references). This doesn't make a whole lot of financial sense to do for a 15 year old game unless S-E has some kind of re-release plans.

Additionally, the set was originally scheduled to release this month but has been delayed until July... after E3.

Overside

Banned
Tobal 3?
Xenogears 2?
Xenogears never had a sequel. NEVER!
Chrono Trigger 3?

There is no way they're working on an FF7 remake. I have made my peace with that now.

You can thank Namco Bandai meddling for that debacle.

Its becoming increasingly apparent that Xenogears is finally getting its spritual episode 1 prequel with Xenoblade X. Been waiting a long time for this, and it looks fantastic.

Wouldnt count on anything worthwhile coming from squeenix again, the vast majority of the talent that made those games what they were has long since left.

They still have the money and the production values, but I wouldnt trust squeenix to design its way out of a paper bag.

Amused

FFVII, actual remake. Admits trolling everyone at PSX, this was the plan from the start.

And cake. Cake for everyone.

The cake is a lie.

Top Bottom