• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix has "four unannounced and in-development online titles" [Updated]

Scum

Driving Emotion Type S Online
The Bouncer Online
Lightning Returns Online
Kingdom Hearts Online

Someone eject Wada from his seat already. :<

Midou

I wish SE learned something with FROM's last games and will eventually provide interesting online features in their next RPGs.

Yeah, wish more 'single player' games had more unique online functionality, subtle online elements that integrate well into the main game. Even stuff like an online battle arena where your party can face off against an online opponent's, AI controlled would be okay too.

I would love to see some innovation like integrating something into a single player JRPG that gives you the impression you aren't the only adventurer, something like the messages on the ground in Dark Souls but beyond that.

In truth, there is no motivation for developers to try unique ideas like that, since it's unlikely it will pull in all kinds of new audiences but... a man can dream.

Midou

Someone just kill me. I'm so sick of the pain. What are you doing SE?

Being Square Enix circa this generation.

Honestly, I have nothing against them making cheap and quick browser and mobile games to their hearts content, if it's a quick buck and funds console titles, great. The problem is, they have so few of the latter that can compare to past gens.

TheOddOne

I guess they might be free-to-play titles?

Atleast one of them is PC bound.

jxG4JXBQb3EQ1.png

Source.

And there are multiple free-to-play games inbound.

jT5dUpE8AiZ4v.png

Source.

Metaroo

I mean, if these turn out to be quality titles, then I guess there isn't much to complain about...? I really just want KH3 and FFvXIII already. Stop fucking around Squenix.

Midou

FFVI deserves better. :{

Well it isn't like Square Enix will be able to remake a classic FF in a modern engine, they are pretty incapable of integrating classic FF stuff into modern games.

They would need to change a lot of stuff for a full blown console game too, the art direction of towns, characters and just about everything else would need to change.

Would be okay with a handheld remake that stays closer to the original.

jwhit28

If it is more like All the Bravest, so much for restoring faith in the Final Fantasy brand.

they are pretty incapable of integrating classic FF stuff into modern games.

I think that is a problem Bravely Default Flying Fairy solved but of course they still don't feel the need to tell us it is coming.

Nekki

Some time ago, I'd never have thought Square Enix news wouldn't interest me... It's been like this for a long while :/

Simousse

Neo Member
KH Browser, Bravely Default Browser, FF Brigade and their military game.
Back in August 2011, none of them was announced for the West.

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
Before you get too excited, this is the sort of online game Square Enix North America works on, but I'm sure there is probably slightly more "core" stuff. Probably mostly or all F2P. Definitely some mobile/social too.

TheOddOne

Before you get too excited, this is the sort of online game Square Enix North America works on, but I'm sure there is probably slightly more "core" stuff. Probably mostly or all F2P. Definitely some mobile/social too.
Pretty much looks like a studio that was setup after the whole casual/mobile/F2P boom happend. Nothing mindblowing is going to come out of them, that's for sure.

TrounceX

I still don't get the pervasive hate for online multiplayer, especially MMO's, here on GAF.

I have an extremely hard time playing games these days without some type of persistence. Everything else just feels so pointless. I want to play with other people, I want to compete with other people, I want to show off my skill and my accomplishments. I want to be part of a community.

This is why when I see people complaining about how in Skyrim for example, the NPC's don't acknowledge your accomplishments well enough. Well, why would you want the acknowledgement of an NPC anyways? Why spend hours grinding out some epic weapon that nobody is ever going to see but yourself? Why invest in a some shoddily written characters and a nonsensical plot? Video games are terrible in this regard. Go read a book, trust me it will be more enjoyable. There are just no compelling reasons to me for playing a single player game anymore.

And it's for that reason I say, bring it on SE. Give me ARR, give me KH3 online, make Versus Co-Op, give me everything you got, I'll take them all please. If even one of them is good I'll end up enjoying it more and playing it more than any single player game anyways. And don't forget SE has already made an excellent MMO. FFXIV may have been a misstep, but they did it once, they can do it again.

Note: I'm not saying anyone's opinion is wrong. If you like single player games only, that's fine. I'm just saying I don't understand why, and I'm getting a little irritated at the knee-jerk responses every time there's an announcement regarding an online title lately (Destiny, ESO, Crytek F2P etc etc

edit: I could go for a thread on this subject actually. I want to hear peoples responses.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I still don't get the pervasive hate for online multiplayer, especially MMO's, here on GAF.

I have an extremely hard time playing games these days without some type of persistence. Everything else just feels so pointless. I want to play with other people, I want to compete with other people, I want to show off my skill and my accomplishments. I want to be part of a community.

This is why when I see people complaining about how in Skyrim for example, the NPC's don't acknowledge your accomplishments well enough. Well, why would you want the acknowledgement of an NPC anyways? Why spend hours grinding out some epic weapon that nobody is ever going to see but yourself? Why invest in a some shoddily written characters and a nonsensical plot? Video games are terrible in this regard. Go read a book, trust me it will be more enjoyable. There are just no compelling reasons to me for playing a single player game anymore.

And it's for that reason I say, bring it on SE. Give me ARR, give me KH3 online, make Versus Co-Op, give me everything you got, I'll take them all please. If even one of them is good I'll end up enjoying it more and playing it more than any single player game anyways. And don't forget SE has already made an excellent MMO. FFXIV may have been a misstep, but they did it once, they can do it again.

Note: I'm not saying anyone's opinion is wrong. If you like single player games only, that's fine. I'm just saying I don't understand why, and I'm getting a little irritated at the knee-jerk responses every time there's an announcement regarding an online title lately (Destiny, ESO, Crytek F2P etc etc)

Problem is. It's mainly a iOS and PC Browser game that gets revealed. And those tend to be small projects.

Front Mission Online 2
Fantasy Earth Online 2
Concerto Gate 2
(Insert random unknown MMORPG from S-E here)

I fully believe they're cranking out MMORPG sequels.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.

Note: I'm not saying anyone's opinion is wrong. If you like single player games only, that's fine. I'm just saying I don't understand why, and I'm getting a little irritated at the knee-jerk responses every time there's an announcement regarding an online title lately (Destiny, ESO, Crytek F2P etc etc

edit: I could go for a thread on this subject actually. I want to hear peoples responses.

I'm with you all the wa,y but people here are primarily single player folks. I shake my head every time people say they haven't played a good FF in a while and when questioned about 11 they say "it was online, I didn't play it!" Well..you missed out then. Putting aside 14's missteps, it'll probably be a great FF too. People just need to step out of their "I've been playing the same single player rpg formula my whole life" comfort zone..though look what happens when people don't get towns..

Top Bottom