• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix has "four unannounced and in-development online titles" [Updated]

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I still don't get the pervasive hate for online multiplayer, especially MMO's, here on GAF.

I have an extremely hard time playing games these days without some type of persistence. Everything else just feels so pointless. I want to play with other people, I want to compete with other people, I want to show off my skill and my accomplishments. I want to be part of a community.

This is why when I see people complaining about how in Skyrim for example, the NPC's don't acknowledge your accomplishments well enough. Well, why would you want the acknowledgement of an NPC anyways? Why spend hours grinding out some epic weapon that nobody is ever going to see but yourself? Why invest in a some shoddily written characters and a nonsensical plot? Video games are terrible in this regard. Go read a book, trust me it will be more enjoyable. There are just no compelling reasons to me for playing a single player game anymore.

And it's for that reason I say, bring it on SE. Give me ARR, give me KH3 online, make Versus Co-Op, give me everything you got, I'll take them all please. If even one of them is good I'll end up enjoying it more and playing it more than any single player game anyways. And don't forget SE has already made an excellent MMO. FFXIV may have been a misstep, but they did it once, they can do it again.

Note: I'm not saying anyone's opinion is wrong. If you like single player games only, that's fine. I'm just saying I don't understand why, and I'm getting a little irritated at the knee-jerk responses every time there's an announcement regarding an online title lately (Destiny, ESO, Crytek F2P etc etc

edit: I could go for a thread on this subject actually. I want to hear peoples responses.

I play games for their gameplay first and foremost, not to wave around e-peen by showing off equipment I grinded for hours on end to get. I'll take my single-player games thankyouverymuch.

nasos_333

Amazing, they dont give us games like Bravely Default that are close to the FF games we loved Suqare for and they make random online games instead

Square is really dead, i hope the team that made Bravely Default starts a new studio and gives us the games we loved Square for back in FF7-8-9 days

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Amazing, they dont give us games like Bravely Default that are close to the FF games we loved Suqare for and they make random online games instead

Square is really dead, i hope the team that made Bravely Default starts a new studio and gives us the games we loved Square for back in FF7-8-9 days

Their next project would be BDFF 2. We probably won't get that either.

These online stuff could be from Enix or Eidos rather than the Square side. Enix produced or published tons of online games back in the days.

dukeoflegs

I thought SquareEnix laid off numerous people from their online division in LA in December? Seems odd that they would still be working on these titles if people were laid off.

Could it be an Eidos thing too? Just imagine using the Panau map assets for an MMORPG. Join one and only one of the three factions as you fight for dominance in the power void left by the late Baby Panay. Why? Just cause!

Top Bottom