• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix issuing field destroy credit to retailers for Final Fantasy XIV inventory

Kuro268

Neo Member
Isn't this false? Legacy status was only for those who had paid subs for a certain number of months prior to September, had nothing to do with the boxed copies, right?

You're right thats tied to Legacy status not necessarily having a boxed copy. The one perk to having a boxed copy now is getting a free download of 2.0 in a few months.

I bought the collectors edition at launch for 75 bucks so feel free to laugh at me . Onion helm buyers remorse.

YOU ARE NOT ALONE :e-hug:

Anyways, can we expect some pics of broken discs and shredded cases?

Also as was stated earlier, what's to stop retailers from just destroying the cases/discs, claiming the SE credit and selling the codes?

Chairhome

You're right thats tied to Legacy status not necessarily having a boxed copy. The one perk to having a boxed copy now is getting a free download of 2.0 in a few months.

Cool, thought so, thanks. I'm thinking about getting it just cause I want to try 2.0. Boxed copy should include a free month, right? I played in the beta but never picked up the game. I'm kind of anxious to try it (even though my backlog is huge)... How playable is it in single player?

CrankyJay

Banned
Wait what's going on here?

This game came out, failed miserably because it was released too early, they shut it down (did they?) so they can retool it, then destroy all previous copies so they can release the new disks?

I'm assuming people with the older cheaper discs and install and then just do an update?

RSLAEV

I think the original plan was to start the free trial period in November prior to launching in like, January or something. Once they started throwing around the idea of launching past Q1 at Gamescom though, I don't think that'll be the case anymore. He pretty much said something along the lines of "not as late as fall 2013, but not early in the year either, closer to the summer."

Woah woah woah-so 2.0 for the PC isn't launching in the fall?

aw maaaan :(

This game came out, failed miserably because it was released too early, they shut it down (did they?) so they can retool it, then destroy all previous copies so they can release the new disks?

I'm assuming people with the older cheaper discs and install and then just do an update?
They want people to forget

Kuro268

Neo Member
Cool, thought so, thanks. I'm thinking about getting it just cause I want to try 2.0. Boxed copy should include a free month, right? I played in the beta but never picked up the game. I'm kind of anxious to try it (even though my backlog is huge)... How playable is it in single player?

Yeah it does include a free month trial period but unless you have some friends currently in the game that will help you I would stay away from it. You can level up solo but that's about all you will accomplish. Beyond a certain point you will need other's help to beat the missions and AF quests.

I mean you can try it just to see the changes since you'll have a copy anyways but keep in mind what I said. Getting help for any old quests is really hard since most people have already done them and don't care to do them again unless an LSmate needs. Thats just the grim reality of things.

They didn't shut it down, the game have been going until now. One team was creating basically a new game from scratch while other was creating patches, new content, etc.. etc.. to the existing version.

People who bought the game just need a (massive) update to play A Realm Reborn.

CrankyJay

Banned
They didn't shut it down, the game have been going until now. One team was creating basically a new game from scratch while other was creating patches, new content, etc.. etc.. to the existing version.

People who bought the game just need a (massive) update to play A Realm Reborn.

do they retain all their progress etc?

Kuro268

Neo Member
do they retain all their progress etc?

Yeah. All character data will be ported over to the new version.

Also this won't be a massive "update"... Come September/October (if we're lucky) you will need to uninstall the current game and download a brand new client entirely.

Chairhome

Yeah it does include a free month trial period but unless you have some friends currently in the game that will help you I would stay away from it. You can level up solo but that's about all you will accomplish. Beyond a certain point you will need other's help to beat the missions and AF quests.

I mean you can try it just to see the changes since you'll have a copy anyways but keep in mind what I said. Getting help for any old quests is really hard since most people have already done them and don't care to do them again unless an LSmate needs. Thats just the grim reality of things.

:-(. I may do it anyways just to mess around. I hear its very different from the beta that i played.

Einhander

I ordered the standard 1.0 version from Amazon for $13. Not bad. I'll have to wait until I build a new rig which can handle it, though.

:-(. I may do it anyways just to mess around. I hear its very different from the beta that i played.

Check the community FF XIV thread. GAF has a LS on Sargatanas server and we surely can help you if you even decide to play the game. That shouldn't be a concern.

That makes me wonder, is FFXIV 2.0 and update, or will you have to buy it again?

And update. People who dosn't own the 1.0 version ill have to buy the boxed copy.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
If I still have my copy of FF14 from original release(special edition one too -.-;)...how long do I need to go through for updates? I remember FF11 took forever...

If I still have my copy of FF14 from original release(special edition one too -.-;)...how long do I need to go through for updates? I remember FF11 took forever...

Maybe about an hour and a half..

I just did the install and updated last night and it was over pretty quickly.

It will do one update and then it will download 16 patch components.. after that second update, the game launcher will start and you can log in.

see5harp

I guess it's probably good news that they can still maintain that they "shipped millions of copies worldwide." I wonder whether Dragon Quest X will ever catch on outside of Japan.

Mercutio

Items: $11.99
Shipping & Handling: $3.99
Total Before Tax: $15.98
Estimated Tax To Be Collected:* $0.00
Order Total: $15.98

The big question is, if I destroy my copy once I get it and send proof to SE, do they send me $16?

If so, I've made $.02.

I guess it's probably good news that they can still maintain that they "shipped millions of copies worldwide." I wonder whether Dragon Quest X will ever catch on outside of Japan.

I will buy it SO FAST if it ever shows its face here.

Het_Nkik

No, the shop and its workers would be breaking corporate contracts. Getting caught would guarantee being fired, if not fined.

You have to physically destroy them too, when I worked at Gamestop a similar notice went out for DC Universe. We had to open and break game disc's and smash the collector edition statues.

I would refuse to do this. My heart wouldn't be able to bear destroying video games : (

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
Bought my copy 2 months back for £5 from my local Tesco. Still shrink wrapped, I bet once this all blows over it will be worth at least all of £6. Profit!

I'd buy it from you, my love. <3

Alex

If you buy the CE from Newegg which is down to 20, as someone pointed out, it comes with a Buddy Pass you can give to someone. I assume that'll still work, since they dont have expirations on them. The Buddy Pass works as a full copy of the game with 30 days and everything.

That was my pick, I wanted a digital copy instead but as I'm not going to play it again until 2.0 hits whatever. Plus it has that rad Amano art fer lookin' fancy when it's sitting in a box in the storage room, never to be touched again

Kuro268

Neo Member
If you buy the CE from Newegg which is down to 20, as someone pointed out, it comes with a Buddy Pass you can give to someone. I assume that'll still work, since they dont have expirations on them. The Buddy Pass works as a full copy of the game with 30 days and everything.

That was my pick, I wanted a digital copy instead but as I'm not going to play it again until 2.0 hits whatever. Plus it has that rad Amano art fer lookin' fancy when it's sitting in a box in the storage room, never to be touched again

You also get that book with artwork and a security token. Well worth the extra 5 bucks.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad

You also get that book with artwork and a security token. Well worth the extra 5 bucks.

Good thing I'm Canadian, because these deals totally apply to my person. :(

Top Bottom