• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square-Enix Registers FinalFantasyXIII-3.com... [2 Year Schedule Note]

Verendus

Banned
What in the world?

I was wondering if FFXIII-2 was already out when I saw this thread. But, it isn't. Not for a few months yet and now there's going to be a potential FFXIII-3. And I take it the actual FF team is working on this so how does that affect a potential FFXV release?

Is there more than one FF team right now?

Because if not, damn at this news. Mediocre ass of a game gets two sequels. I want a new FF with a new universe and new start.

Well, at least one piece of good news. FFVSXIII should be coming within the next year and half or so since FFXIII-2 will likely be coming soon after. New game, new start. More potential than a sequel to an unreleased sequel to shit.

Wait, wait. Maybe we will not have to suffer through the same characters of FFXIII/XIII-2 and they will simply use the same world in a different time period. No Lightning. No annoying little sister. Could be an idea. Could be an id--who the fuck am I kidding?

TeK-DeLorean

Neo Member
Billychu said:
The cover even looks like Star Wars for fuck's sake! Some day I will take over Square Enix and make nothing but XII rehashes because it's what the world needs. Oh, and another Einhander.
I like your style.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Pachterballs said:
yikes + Squareenix is quickly descending into this weird arse company who don't know what their brand value is.

and trashing trashing trashing the FF brand if true.

Squeenix has been doing this for more than a decade now. Why are people acting so surprised? This is just the logical conclusion to their constant milking of their franchises.

sublimit

Banned
If XIII's lame characters are in it as well,then i'm skipping it too (just like i'm skipping XIII-2.)

Just give me Versus and finish this XIII milking fiasco SE.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
The Praiseworthy said:
Seriously... me too.

XII was the most disappointment JRPG game for me on PS2... I had so much hope for it.

It was the most awesome for me, except the last few hours.

Get Matsuno back!! But give him a new IP, screw FF.

Kyoufu

Mailenstein said:
This is fucking bullshit. It's unbelievable how they are milking this franchise to death. Seriously, fuck this shit.

It's not really any more than previous generations. *shrug*

Momo

Banned
Kagari said:
As a side note, Square Enix has a mandate of finishing mainline Final Fantasy games every two years, so they might not actually have time to make a Final Fantasy XV, and thus want to use FFXIII and FFXIII-2 as a base for the next game.
6X8WT.jpg

Red

Hobbun said:
Eh, I guess I am considered as one of the dinosaurs. I don't like the move towards the faster combat systems. X-2 was decent, but didn't play enough of it to get a good feel.

So when I jumped from X's turn-based combat system (which will always Ibe my favorite) to XII's mash of real-time/menu-based/scripts (gambits) system, didn't like it at all.

I will agree X could have been more open world, but it didn't detract from me enough to not like the game. I also loved the Sphere Grid, so it was fun to level my characters. And did I say it was turn-based?

Yes, good times.
I always opted for active battles when given the choice through the whole series, so XII's system worked well for me.

ZeroFate said:
Sometimes... I really hate this gen. =( *hugs Uncharted series*

how would this milking be any different or worse from an Uncharted sequel? (setting aside series gameplay quality as a factor.)

All new game with the same characters and universe...doing X-2, XIII-2, etc. is just S-E expanding on a previously created universe with all new game mechanics...like almost every sequel in existence.

If XIII-2 is as kick ass as they're making it out to be, I wouldn't mind XIII-3.

duckroll

Mailenstein said:
Well, I'm not talking XIII, but FF in general since like X? But this right now is like the peak of ridiculousness.

Really? You think a third FFXIII game would be the peak of ridiculousness? Really?

aw6va.jpg

RYEfp.jpg

BFXvt.jpg

hFykR.jpg

28SKp.jpg

SqOTp.jpg

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
MoogPaul said:
Square Enix could make a game that blows you while feeding you cake and people would still complain.

I don't want fucking cake and the game uses too much teeth when blowing me. Fix this shit SE.

sublimit

Banned
I would really hate it if they changed the title of FFXIII Versus to FFXIII-3 in order to give the XIII trash some more prestige (and sales boost)

IMO Versus needs a complete title change (a la Type-0) with no XIII on the cover since it's not connected at all with XIII besides some vague universe "relations."

King of the Potato People said:
Square Enix are laughing at us.

all I'm saying is whether it's XIII-3 or XV or whatever, we are still going to get some pretentious group of cliched heroes who are supposedly the ragtag rebels, but have $1000 hair cuts, high fashion, expensive weapons, belts, zippers, etc. They will each have ONE personality trait, just ONE, that they talk about for the entire 40 hour game. Everything they talk about and do will relate back to this one trait. The main story will be some vague end-of-the-world scenario involving crystals and mana and lifestreams and shit. and it goes without saying, the whole setting will look like something out of Star Wars prequel trilogy, but with some fields.

so, in a story/setting sense, we're damned if we do and damned if we don't. Gameplay-wise, I think there's a better chance of getting the better game out of FFXIII-2 and 3 over FFXV, where they'd have to start over and have the pressure of creating a fresh, mainline game instead of expanding the previous iteration. which would take years, while XIII-3 could be churned out relatively quickly.

Jarmel

Banned
duckroll said:
Really? You think a third FFXIII game would be the peak of ridiculousness? Really?

http://i.imgur.com/aw6va.jpg[/IG]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/RYEfp.jpg[/IG]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/BFXvt.jpg[/IG]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/hFykR.jpg[/IG]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/28SKp.jpg[/IM]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/SqOTp.jpg[/IG][/QUOTE]

I'm sorry but 13 was much worse.

[QUOTE=MoogPaul]Square Enix could make a game that blows you while feeding you cake and people would still complain.[/QUOTE]

Depends on what they use for frosting......

Elginer

Well hopefully this 2 year dev cycle will reap something good. We can only hope. It's good to at least hear that a Japanese developer is trying to fix the long ass dev cycles.

Corto

Elginer said:
Well hopefully this 2 year dev cycle will reap something good. We can only hope. It's good to at least hear that a Japanese developer is trying to fix the long ass dev cycles.

Every cloud has a silver lining.

duckroll

Jarmel said:
I'm sorry but 13 was much worse.

What are you sorry for? Having a different opinion? The fact remains that if we're talking about milking a franchise, FFVII was milked so much more than FFXIII. That is an undeniable fact. Whether you like FFXIII does not matter at all.

Jarmel

Banned
duckroll said:
What are you sorry for? Having a different opinion? The fact remains that if we're talking about milking a franchise, FFVII was milked so much more than FFXIII. That is an undeniable fact. Whether you like FFXIII does not matter at all.

Oh shit, lol I thought it was an argument about horrible character design. That's what I get for jumping into an argument halfway.

duckroll

Jarmel said:
Oh shit, lol I thought it was an argument about horrible character design. That's what I get for jumping into an argument halfway.

Haha. I wouldn't even bother defending FFXIII's character designs. I don't think they're awful, but the biggest problem is that I find most of them really unmemorable. The DoC cover alone has way better art than anything in FFXIII even.

Elginer

duckroll said:
Haha. I wouldn't even bother defending FFXIII's character designs. I don't think they're awful, but the biggest problem is that I find most of them really unmemorable. The DoC cover alone has way better art than anything in FFXIII even.

I agree with that. Sadly.

Picobrain

Banned
I LOVED Final Fantasy 8, and I played it to death, but this is...I am speechless. Two words for you Square, fuck you. You managed to ruin FF franchise. You are dead to me Square, you hear me?

duckroll said:

http://i.imgur.com/aw6va.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/RYEfp.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/BFXvt.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/hFykR.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/28SKp.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/SqOTp.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
Yeah, it really is. They dish out one after another with this Fabula Nova Fuckmyass Whatsoevershit: FFXIII, FF Type-0 (Type-1, Type-2 & Type-3 being trademarked if I remember correctly), FFXIII-2, FFXIII-3 if true, FFXIIIversus... I mean seriously? This VII thing started years later, not at the time when it was released tho. I don't disagree with you completely, but it's a different thing really. Just imagine what they would've done to VII if it was released 2009...

duckroll

Mailenstein said:
Yeah, it really is. They dish out one after another with this Fabula Nova Fuckmyass Whatsoevershit: FFXIII, FF Type-0, FFXIII-2, FFXIII-3 if true, FFXIIIversus... I mean seriously? This VII thing started years later, not at the time when it was released tho. I don't disagree with you completely, but it's a different thing really. Just imagine what they would've done to VII if it was released 2009...

"Fabula Nova Fuckmyass Whatsoevershit"? Really? Lol, are you 8 years old?

There are 6 Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles games. There are 6 Final Fantasy Ivalice games. Right now there are only 4 Fabula Nova Crystallis games. What are you complaining about?

sublimit

Banned
duckroll said:
The fact remains that if we're talking about milking a franchise, FFVII was milked so much more than FFXIII. That is an undeniable fact.

But FFVII has been around for 14 years and was one of the most critically acclaimed as well as incredibly commercial successful (on only one platform) FF games ever.Its milking feels natural while on the other hand XIII's milking feels forced since it doesn't have VII's legacy and prestige.
Not to mention XIII is only out for less than 2 years and we're already hearing about a third game (or movie.)

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
duckroll said:
The biggest problem with them is that the females are anorexic, would someone PLEASE hand them some sandwiches?!

duckroll

Jinfash said:
The biggest problem with them is that the females are anorexic, would someone PLEASE hand them some sandwiches?!

I dunno. Lightning is actually pretty fleshy. Vanille and Fang literally haven't ate for 500 years, so you can't really blame them! Lololol. :(

DMeisterJ

Banned
If this is true, awesome. XIII-2 is looking nice now, so a sequel to that should be awesome if I like it as much as I liked the original.

xion4360

Picobrain said:
I LOVED Final Fantasy 8, and I played it to death, but this is...I am speechless. Two words for you Square, fuck you. You managed to ruin FF franchise. You are dead to me Square, you hear me?

I dont understand this kind of reaction. For one its just a web domain, and secondly you are reacting to nothing because you have no visual, audio or anything to respond to. For all you know they could announce FFXIII-3 and it could be the greatest looking FF game ever. Conversely, what's to stop you from ignoring it all together.

Beth Cyra

Mailenstein said:
Yeah, it really is. They dish out one after another with this Fabula Nova Fuckmyass Whatsoevershit: FFXIII, FF Type-0 (Type-1, Type-2 & Type-3 being trademarked if I remember correctly), FFXIII-2, FFXIII-3 if true, FFXIIIversus... I mean seriously? This VII thing started years later, not at the time when it was released tho. I don't disagree with you completely, but it's a different thing really. Just imagine what they would've done to VII if it was released 2009...
Is Type-0 Even part of the Fabula Nova Crystallis anymore?

I thought when it droppped the Agito name it also dropped out of being apart of that. Regardless the Fablua hasn't had as many releases as numerous parts of the franchise.

If you don't like this particular line just ignore it like people who didn't like VII did it's sequels/Prequels and the same for the Alliance.

Beth Cyra

duckroll said:
Yes it is. You can change the name, but you can't change the content.
Sweet, I really didn't know that but I'm happy to hear it. Still prefer the name Agito but regardless can't wait to play it.

MechaX

Mailenstein said:

Eh... I'm not saying it couldn't happen, but XIII isn't milked nearly as badly as the FFVII Compilation by a long shot. Not only was the Compilation not even good, and not only were the number of titles eclipsing even every trademarked title for the XIII series (between Advent Children, ACC, Last Order, Crisis Core, Before Crisis, Dirge of Cerberus, Dirge of Cerberus Mobile), but the Compilation titles even started contradicting and retconing things in their own universe (Last Order and Crisis Core, Before Crisis and FF7 as a whole). The FFVII Compilation was just the high of SE milking a franchise and not even doing all that well in the process.

duckroll said:
"Fabula Nova Fuckmyass Whatsoevershit"? Really? Lol, are you 8 years old?

There are 6 Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles games. There are 6 Final Fantasy Ivalice games. Right now there are only 4 Fabula Nova Crystallis games. What are you complaining about?
Considering what is being planned and trademarked the thought of everything being realized as a game is just horrible. I as a gamer don't need and I don't want a FF every year. I know, it's a company and they want to make money, but c'mon..

So let's say that FFXIII-2 (not sure if this needs to be marked as spoilers, so I'll play it safe)
brings back Vanille and Fang from their "crystal state," we could potentially have a FFXIII-3 where the entire group is back and have it be more of a traditional FF game than FFXIII-2 seems to be

I honestly cannot blame SE for saving FFXV for the next generation of consoles (which seems to be the direction they're heading - I think I'd actually rather that. There's enough content within the FFXIII universe to build more games from and they've spent a lot of time creating that fiction. Even from what I've read, there's interesting stuff there, FFXIII just portrayed it poorly. This generation stays the Fabula Nova Crystallis generation (not counting FFXIV) and FFXV starts with a clean slate.

xion4360

Mailenstein said:
Considering what is being planned and trademarked the thought of everything being realized as a game is just horrible. I as a gamer don't need and I don't want a FF every year. I know, it's a company and they want to make money, but c'mon..

But you can only speak for yourself. I look forward to the next installment as soon as I finish one. If you dont feel like playing a new FF game after a year no one is forcing you to play/purchase it at release. You are free to play it when you want to.

Top Bottom