• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix reports 13.7b yen loss, 99.7% yoy decrease in games income

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Handheld output was superb. It's DQ remakes and Bravely Default these days.

Sad thing is I'd be pleased as punch if they committed to bringing just that from now on westward. Don't need much else if the alternative is poor iOS ports and cash grab games.

Basil

Banned
What's going to kill Square Enix is focusing their key titles on the PS4 (if true). Not going to all three platforms deprives them of serious revenue and given the platforms all share a common sense of shares architecture it's inexcusable that FF15 may only be a PS4 title.

After DQX's bomba performance, I don't see why they'd want to bother with Wii U at this point.

I'd be surprised if any future home console titles from them on PS4 weren't also on XB720 though. Not without good reason at least.

extralite

Good to see DQX doing well, I hope FFXIV can repeat this console MMO success on the Sony side. Even if they were hoping for more, at least DQX produces steady income.

Pity that TR couldn't live up to the expectations. The high budget really shows, it's a joy to play and has a well written and positive female lead character. It really deserved better. But I guess it just released too late into the console life cycle.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
After DQX's bomba performance, I don't see why they'd want to bother with Wii U at this point.

I'd be surprised if any future home console titles from them on PS4 weren't also on XB720 though. Not without good reason at least.

I had thought that DQX was actually profitable within a short time span? Even more so considering payments for the online fees could be done by purchasing prepaid point cards, which allowed for a larger userbase at start due to not having to muck around with credit cards and such.

Not sure on how its doing currently though.

FaceDa

Banned
SE is confusing. They finally start releasing good games like Tomb Raider, Deus Ex, Sleeping Dogs and somehow it loses them money.

Ah, that would make a lot more sense.

I agree btw.
I think more developers need to realise that unless they are first party then they have no business being in the mindset of making games exclusive I help a platform holder shift units.

It's anti consumer bs and thankfully we won't see much more of that as we move towards a services based war rather than a moneyhatting like we've seen from MS.

Square did fine until they thought up that horrendous movie idea.

Also, don't take everything too literally. A shift of focus doesn't equal copying everything from the past.

Just look at their strategy forecast and you see that they straight forward walk into their demise with a wrong focus in thinking.
The charts were posted a while ago. They were barely making anything during the PSX era, which is why they were thinking of merging with Enix even before the movie destroyed their bottom line.

And part of the problem was they had too much faith in their Japanese development teams, and the old guards. Hiromichi Tanaka basically drove the company to the grounds with FFXIV and he was the guy who made many of the company's successes in the 90s. So the company HAD to change. The problem was they didn't change the way they wanted to.

Zukuu

Banned
SE is confusing. They finally start releasing good games like Tomb Raider, Deus Ex, Sleeping Dogs and somehow it loses them money.

They simply have delusional sale targets and therefore misbudget most of their games and commercial campaigns.

Also, "good" is subjective. Tomb Raider is utter main stream mash, Deus Ex was mediocre at best and Sleeping Dog, while enjoyable, was no block buster.

I think they need some realistic judgement more then anything else at the moment.

UberTag

The same thing happened to EA when they started releasing good games.
Clearly the solution to profitability is to consolidate all of your resources into 2 or 3 mass market crapfests and milk the hell out of them.
It's the Bobby Kotick / Angry Birds recipe for success! :D

Darklord

Banned
SR needs restructuring desperately. They've actually had ok sales but still posting a gigantic bomb? Wada is ruining that company.

They simply have delusional sale targets and therefore misbudget most of their games and commercial campaigns.

Also, "good" is subjective.Tomb Raider is utter main stream mash, Deus Ex was mediocre at best and Sleeping Dog, while enjoyable, was no block buster.

I think they need some realistic judgement more then anything else at the moment.

Indeed it is...

Also, "good" is subjective. Tomb Raider is utter main stream mash, Deus Ex was mediocre at best and Sleeping Dog, while enjoyable, was no block buster.

But compared to what's being made in Square's '1st Production Department', which you previously said is the only internal development studio that shouldn't be canned, they're downright works of art.

KiteGr

ff7-remakeg3jo9.jpg
Press the "Serf distruct button"?

I don't know if you people realised it, but this is THE WORST TIME to get an FF7 remake!
SE cant distinguish shit from candy right now, and if they make that remake now, there is no way it's gona live up to fan expectations!

Unless of course you don't mind:
  • Whatever blood there was to be censored.
  • Wall market brothel and the entire cross dressing mini quest to disapear.
  • The Anime style to be dropped (Tifa become non-big-boobed typical Japanese Idol and Cloud a Japanese Emo face).
  • Over-the top devastating attacks (neo Bahamut) to be replaced with over the top acrobatics from the very first cutscene!
  • The world to become 50% smaller.
  • Platforming and climbing to become linear hallways.
  • Day 1 DLCs on the disk, and locked content for preorders!

Brera

Banned
HAHAHAHA you just said sack Miyamoto. There's more chance of a kaiju attack.

If the creator of the Gameboy and Nintendos early success can get bullied out then why can't miyamoto?

Gunpei fucked up with the virtual boy but miyamoto screwed over Nintendo countless times with his hairbrained ideas.

Coxy

maybe spend a little more time and money making good games and a little less time and money inviting press to secret events and plying them with gifts, gee I wonder how the tomb raider "marketing" spent so much

Kouriozan

HD gen basically killed what I liked about Square Enix :(
And seeing what they are doing on smartphone, I don't have much hope anymore.

Eusis

HD gen basically killed what I liked about Square Enix :(
And seeing what they are doing on smartphone, I don't have much hope anymore.
They were in kind of a slide during the PS2 days, but handhelds were a solid bastion this/last gen... but now we don't seem to even have that much, not unless they're preparing to open the flood gates at some point. Maybe if their attempts at mobile don't do well or it's lightning in a bottle, GREE looks to very likely be Japan's Zynga, just on another level of profit.

sublimit

Banned
Dear Square Enix.
Please stop spending your precious money at inadequate developers like Crystal Dynamics in order to make their B grade hollywood movies.

A longtime fan.

Eusis

Dear Square Enix.
Please stop spending your precious money at inadequate developers like Crystal Dynamics in order to make their B grade hollywood movies.

A longtime fan.
Ironically if Uncharted's any indication that'd turn out OK if they still had Amy Hennig. Whether it was Legacy of Kain or Tomb Raider.

So Final Fantasy XIV, Lightning Returns, and mobile games are supposed to turn them to profitability in the next 12 months? That seems...unlikely.

sublimit

Banned
Ironically if Uncharted's any indication that'd turn out OK if they still had Amy Hennig. Whether it was Legacy of Kain or Tomb Raider.

TR was much longer in development than any Uncharted game though and had a marketing campaign budget that could make even Activision to envy it.
Still was all that investment from SE worth it in the end?If you take out the production values from TR you are left with a bare,unoriginal game that has nothing to say on its own.It's no surprise the game couldn't deliver SE's projections.Money alone are not enough to make a good game.

Square Enix Europe wouldn't be doing badly if they had their development budgets at a reasonable level with expected sales. Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Tomb Raider, and Hitman: Absolution are all pretty good games and sold decently, but someone was making up stupid expected sales numbers and budgeted them way too high.

Square Enix Japan is busy not making games we want, instead they are making FFXIII into a trilogy for Who The Fuck Knows Why reasons.

Village

Square Enix Europe wouldn't be doing badly if they had their development budgets at a reasonable level with expected sales. Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Tomb Raider, and Hitman: Absolution are all pretty good games and sold decently, but someone was making up stupid expected sales numbers and budgeted them way too high.

Square Enix Japan is busy not making games we want, instead they are making FFXIII into a trilogy for Who The Fuck Knows Why reasons.

The games did decent and japan likes lighting.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Wow, I thought the new Tomb Raider was a hit. Guess I should have payed attention outside the first week.

Bioshock Infinite a flop too?

Does this impact Deus Ex HR on Wii U?

sublimit

Banned
Dayum I can't stop laughing everytime I see this.

Yeah unfortunately that's what they have become lately...a joke.I mean seriously with all the bad press they were getting lately who in their right mind would've thought that their appearance in Sony's event was a smart thing to do?

Jinko

It's too late, your fans have lost hope SE.

I'm looking forward to FFXIV but I don't care about SE games anymore, especially when they seem reluctant to localise many of them.

Effect

Edios was is a bit of a state pre buyout. Did SE do anything to fix whatever problems Edios had since then?

If FF15 bombs I bet they push it. Not until then though. Not until then.

What a wasted generation for SE though. Whos bright idea was it to make more FFXIII? What a dumb idea. Not to mention FFXIV, Dragon Quest MMO on the fucking WII!!!

I bet the meetings these decisions are made in are hilarious

I fail to see how Dragon Quest X on the Wii was a bad decision. It was the best selling console. They had previously put Final Fantasy XI on the PS2. Dragon Quest as a series isn't known for it's graphics and the game could clearly be designed for the hardware while keeping cost down. Not to mention it's also being released on the Wii U. For the last several years Dragon Quest fans have been buying Dragon Quest games on Nintendo hardware. Why not put it on the Wii? Were they suppose to put on the PS3? Why when Final Fantasy XIV going to be released on it? Why when the more recent fan base isn't there? I'm sure some won't like hearing that because it can only be used against Nintendo hardware. Better to diversify the offerings in the end.

THats what happens why you release what like 4 games per year?

Sleeping Dogs
Tomb Raider
Hitman......

what else was published/developed by them. ... ?

It's too late, your fans have lost hope SE.

I'm looking forward to FFXIV but I don't care about SE games anymore, especially when they seem reluctant to localise many of them.

SE lost hope in us by throwing us games we don't want this generation and their output is abysmal. To be fair we wanted FFXIII until we played it.

Top Bottom