• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix reports 13.7b yen loss, 99.7% yoy decrease in games income

I had thought that DQX was actually profitable within a short time span? Even more so considering payments for the online fees could be done by purchasing prepaid point cards, which allowed for a larger userbase at start due to not having to muck around with credit cards and such.

Not sure on how its doing currently though.
I think he meant the Wii U version only, which bombed at retail but might've done well digitally.

Hey guys.

What's happening to the industry these days?

industry-crash-280x245.jpg

Seems a lot of companies are feeling the effect of the bursting of the PS2 bubble. That generation gave publishers the fallicious impression that the industry would exponentially expand with such uniformity under one monolithic platform, goading these companies to expand their overheard costs; but instead the industry diversified, creating confusion relevant to the disbursement of resources and support.

grumble

What a lot of people don't understand is how executive changes work, and how results are reported.

When a CEO is replaced, the new CEO will take very aggressive writedowns and reduce forecasts substantially, which is a big one-time hit to the financial statements and can be blamed on the 'old CEO', or 'restructuring'. If any costs can be recognized or incurred now, they are; if revenues can be delayed, they are too. For this stuff, the business or the underlying viability of the company hasn't changed at all, simply its facade of financial performance. This sets the stage for the new CEO's performance looking great, as they have so much reporting wiggle room to bloat up. Over time, accounting tricks are used to slowly push the bloat up in the financial statements, the CEO looking good the whole time. Once the bloat is too much, financial statements start looking like crap again compared to before and in many cases the CEO is replaced, restarting the cycle. If they're smart, they'll get an outrageous severance package.

This is a major issue!

The new CEO can also 'clean house', where he fires the sacred cows (overpaid tenured employees who are resting an their laurels), lays off employees, reduce raises, etc. This is also cyclical, and sometimes will fire more lower-level employees (who actually create the products and support the business) and keep too many managers. This is managerial bloat.

Cleaning house is good, the method of which can be either great or terrible.

So when I see these financial results a short while after the CEO was replaced, I'm skeptical that this is actually showing the SE has crap performance. I bet some of it is the new CEO setting the stage.

That being said, I'm not happy with SE's direction. That studio has had issues since the late PS2 era, when they started heavily focus testing and targeting until their games were a bloated mess. When the HD era hit and costs and complxity shot up, they were ill-prepared. They can either slowly shoehorn themselves into a mobile developer (much of the revenue of which is based off of their declining reputation...) or they can try to return to their roots of creating games that the developers want to play.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Release FFXII: I: ZJS: HD remix for console and portable and then you can die a death, Square.

The only thing within the past decade that I gave a damn about from you. And you didn't even release it in the states. Fuck you. >:|

Spira

Banned
They clearly haven't learned anything. They've made three ff, none of which have received any special attention, they've taken versus and made it the next duke nukem.

Oh and no mainline Kindom Hearts game.

Terra

It's really not at all the same people involved now as it was 10-15 years ago, right? Transitions and having the right people in the right places is very important. Seems like much has changed...maybe too much?

Coxy

Japan likes lightning far more than we do.

japan does not like lightning. the poll she won was 125 people on an FF13 forum that only deciated fans already posted on, it's like saying Lightning is loved in the west and using perfo and luukyk as a source

Celine

If the creator of the Gameboy and Nintendos early success can get bullied out then why can't miyamoto?

Gunpei fucked up with the virtual boy but miyamoto screwed over Nintendo countless times with his hairbrained ideas.
Gunpei wasn't bullied out (don't believe every bullshit from the internet).

Gunpei wasn't the company PR face.

Rhapsody

Banned
Watch it's all planned. S-E's going to have Versus be the one to pull them out of the ground like how the first Final Fantasy did for the company.
They just need to release it...

Dr.Hadji

Wada did what Iwata needs to do.

Man up and resign or at least sack reggie and miyamoto.

I'm Hoping square go back to their PS1 days and just release awesome games :-(

Wow you sure are dedicated. Even in threads not pertaining to Nintendo at all. You can still push your agenda.

Toth

That's what happens when you don't make games that people want to play.

3 million people don't want to play Tomb Raider and Hitman? 5 million don't want to play 13? Come on. The problem is development costs and poor management here. Nomura is one of the worst offenders.

Labadal

3 million people don't want to play Tomb Raider and Hitman? 5 million don't want to play 13? Come on. The problem is development costs and poor management here. Nomura is one of the worst offenders.

Why? Thief has been in development for a long time. Final Fantasy XIV was a financial diaster. The engine for the Fabula Nova Chrystallis games took to much time to develop. This meant that FFXIII was shown at E3, but one could say they had nothing of the actual game developed. They showed off a game that had no content developed. A lot of assets were not used for FFXIII. The game also had a long development time. Final Fantasy: Type-0 took many years to release and it never got a Western release. They lost a lot of money on that. The PSP might be dead over here, but it would have most probably recouped localization costs. FFXIII-2 had to be done because a lot of people were not happy with FFXIII. Now they are making Lightning Returns to try and fix problems people had with FFXIII-2. Don't forget last generation when FFXII was in development hell.

Blaming Nomura is very silly.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Why? Thief has been in development for a long time. Final Fantasy XIV was a financial diaster. The engine for the Fabula Nova Chrystallis games took to much time to develop. This meant that FFXIII was shown at E3, but one could say they had nothing of the actual game developed. They showed off a game that had no content developed. A lot of assets were not used for FFXIII. The game also had a long development time. Final Fantasy: Type-0 took many years to release and it never got a Western release. They lost a lot of money on that. The PSP might be dead over here, but it would have most probably recouped localization costs. FFXIII-2 had to be done because a lot of people were not happy with FFXIII. Now they are making Lightning Returns to try and fix problems people had with FFXIII-2. Don't forget last generation when FFXII was in development hell.

Blaming Nomura is very silly.

When's the last time Nomura released a game that he had more than a passing say in? KH: DDD?

"I don't understand, we ran off all the talented creative types, and a bunch of the skilled technition types followed them out the door, we should have no operating budget by now!"

"Sir, there's alot in our new European branches like that, and they make LOTS of money!"

"Eeeeeeeexcellent."

evangd007

They handle iOS/handheld games worse than almost any other major publisher.

They won't make games fans have been wanting for years.

They regularly refuse to localize games that fans in regions outside Japan have demonstrated an interest in.

They spend absurd amounts of money games like Final Fantasy XIII, XIV, and XIII-2 only to release turds, and Versus XIII, only to release nothing.

How is this a surprise? Just about the only part of the company that appears to know what the fuck they're doing is whoever is handling the Eidos stuff.

I hope Bravely Default sells gangbusters in the West. It will be yet another thing to make Square Enix look foolish.

Jarnet87

How large are the development teams at Square Enix? They seem to be a huge company with lots of staff based on all the projects and divisions, but damn are their development cycles pathetic. Even in the PS2 days they were slow, but now its laughable.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
If what they're implying is that they're going to give me more main entries and less new series and spin-offs I'm all for it.

Top Bottom