• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix reveals TGS 2014 booth map

Famassu

Naoki Yoshida is the only director/producer at SE capable of releasing large scale projects on time (well FF XIV ARR got a delay, but 100% understandable).

So, yeah in YoshiP we believe

(Also the other Yoshida no longer works at SE)
Other directors haven't gotten teams that are closer to 1000 people strong that crippled almost all of the company's other game development. Of course VsXIII wasn't done in 1,5 years from 2010 to mid 2011 when that game was probably not worked on by anything more than (by Nomura's own words:) a relatively small team, which I take to mean something like maybe 30-50 people (it's not an insognificant team size, but it's also not the kind that can realistically finish a game of FFVsXIII/XV's scope and ambitiousness on PS3 level & shittiness of hardware in 2-3 years, let alone on hardware as powerful as PS4).

Also, Tabata & Yasue have done a lot with way less and even Toriyama managed to push out two vastly different kind of sequels to FFXIII in under 4 years after they somewhat figured out HD development.

SQEX problems are well documented. While what YoshiP achieved with FFXIVARR is commendable, ARR is one of the biggest reasons why SQEX's internal output is so limited in the past few years and which has caused games like FFXV to take so long in the first place. Nomura didn't get the chance to have everyone and their mothers working on just FFXV while other projects were cancelled, put on hold and just generally not focused on like YoshiP did with ARR after an already catastrophic XIV 1.0 development cycle.

wmlk

LR did just fine for itself last time we discussed this rationally >.> Nothing earth shattering but there were still a million or so Lightning fans WW out there who bought it. Besides, LR is a completely different game than FF13 and FF13-2. In fact, does FF13 even need a HD remaster??? The game still looks absolutely gorgeous to this day.

Just a question, seeing that you're the only one who defends FFXIII's performance, even among the people who actually like the games, don't you ever think that there might be some bias in favour of Lightning?

I mean, you're the same guy who actually suggested that FFX HD had a higher budget than LR. That's not exactly the best judgement.

HeelPower

I think XIII collection won't happen simply because its gonna be TONS of work.

LR alone needs a lot of work to look like a next gen game.

Other than Light's character model, every single corner of the game needs visual improvements that are not worth it considering the sales.

I don't think SE will do a collection because it will be too time consuming and expensive for them.

Also crystal tools probably won't be very adaptable.

Toth

Just a question, seeing that you're the only one who defends FFXIII's performance, even among the people who actually like the games, don't you ever think that there might be some bias in favour of Lightning?

I mean, you're the same guy who actually suggested that FFX HD had a higher budget than LR. That's not exactly the best judgement.

Unfortunately, by the time I corrected that original post to what I had meant, it was misquoted but I digress....

To answer your question, I am not biased toward Lightning at all. 13 isn't even in my top 4 FFs. As a constantly satisfied fan of the series, I am just tired of people bashing certain games in the series constantly and just not moving on...

Verendus

Banned
I'm going to ransack their booth next week. I'm talking scorched Earth. Going to throw that mega theater into the event stage, and flying kick the representatives standing next to the KH section. By the time they realise what's even happening, I'll be back on my way home.

It is war. It is known.

wmlk

Yeah... he got in trouble for that lol.

He's still doing OK it seems. Maybe leaking stuff about FFXV would be more fun ;)

So, whatever 'hints' you all give are mostly just BS-ing, right? Why wouldn't you get in trouble for your 'hints'?

I guess the verdict is that you just like messing with us. That's what I'd like to believe but it's clear you guys know things based on the information that APZonerunner gave.

Toth

So having seen Kagari's cryptic hint now...I am honestly confused. I am being honest but there really isn't anywhere to go with 13 now as LR had closure, even moreso with the recent novellas.

HeelPower

I'm going to ransack their booth next week. I'm talking scorched Earth. Going to throw that mega theater into the event stage, and flying kick the representatives standing next to the KH section. By the time they realise what's even happening, I'll be back on my way home.

It is war. It is known.

Relaax.

Just cover your eyes when the XIII~LR collection is being announced and stare eyes wide open when XV-KH3 are being shown off.

OmegaDL50

Yeah but by then there will hopefully had been a sizable gap. Lightning has been at the front of SE since 2006 and that's just too long.

Well maybe Lightning will be a boss.

I can see her abrasive personality be an annoyance to Sora and he needs to whack her a few times over the head with his Keyblade.

That might be the most appealing reason for Lightning to actually be in KH3, to hit her with a Keyblade.

You can give me a Dissidia HD Collection Square.

That would be nice, I didn't think Dissidia as a fighting game sorta like Powerstone should have been delegated to a portable to begin with.

Hell I might as well get a Vita TV just to give it the HDTV treatment.

I can see her abrasive personality be an annoyance to Sora and he needs to whack her a few times over the head with his Keyblade.

That might be the most appealing reason for Lightning to actually be in KH3, to hit her with a Keyblade.

She could have a role similar to squall or a brief cameo.

HeelPower

I think they'll be friends.

Lightning gets along fine with kids such as hope, sora etc...

Riku won't impress her though.

wmlk

I think they'll be friends.

Lightning gets along fine with kids such as hope, sora etc...

Riku won't impress her though.

Lightning will be friends with everyone, and they will all love her.
She's going to be revealed as the one who makes the sea-salt ice cream, cementing everyone's love for her.

LzaHLVG.jpg

Blaarg, if that ever happens.

Why would you even fathom the idea.

*I don't know who made the above image, but I'm not sure if it fits in this example, or what it ever eluded to so don't take it seriously.

Because it seems like Square really wants to release that PC version of XIII.

At least they hint to it

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
There's a hint at TGS? I'm lost...

Other directors haven't gotten teams that are closer to 1000 people strong that crippled almost all of the company's game development. Of course VsXIII wasn't done in 1,5 years from 2010 to mid 2011 when that game was probably not worked on by anything more than (by Nomura's own words:) a relatively small team, which I take to mean something like maybe 30-50 people (it's not an insognificant team size, but it's also not the kind that can realistically finish a game of FFVsXIII/XV's scope and ambitiousness on PS3 level & shittiness of hardware in 2-3 years, let alone on hardware as powerful as PS4).

Also, Tabata & Yasue have done a lot with way less and even Toriyama managed to push out two vastly different kind of sequels to FFXIII in under 4 years after they somewhat figured out HD development.

SQEX problems are well documented. While what YoshiP achieved with FFXIVARR is commendable, ARR is one of the biggest reasons why SQEX's internal output is so limited in the past few years and which has caused games like FFXV to take so long in the first place. Nomura didn't get the chance to have everyone and their mothers working on just FFXV while other projects were cancelled, put on hold and just generally not focused on like YoshiP did with ARR after an already catastrophic XIV 1.0 development cycle.

Toriyama's team still reused a lot of assets for XIII-2 and LR suffers from notable pacing and polishing issues, while none of these games has the scale of an MMO.

What YoshiP did with ARR was a incredible undertaking that no one on SE, let's face it, could have done. Just look at similar MMO's recently released: Elder Scrolls Online took 5 years of development, The Old Republic seemingly took several years at least 4 considering it's announcement and precisely we aren't talking about small sized teams.

Taking those 2 games as base YoshiP and his team build a new engine, mantain and update 1.0 with fixes and new content, and create a new MMO from scratch in a bit more than 2 years. Even with the majority of SE manforce behind I think is nothing sort of and incredible job (specially manage such a big team, unlike other directors at SE).

Also 20-30 doing the groundwork before entering full production is not that uncommon, actually is how EA works (20-30 ppl on pre-production for one year then full production for another year with all the staff) and they manage to get games out of the gate in a timely fashion. I don't think Nomura has any excuse at this point

HeelPower

Lightning will be friends with everyone, and they will all love her.
She's going to be revealed as the one who makes the sea-salt ice cream, cementing everyone's love for her.

She'll be a security officer at Twilight town.

She'll kick seifer's butt.

There's a hint at TGS? I'm lost...

IIIX ysatnaF laniF

We don't know what it means or if it has any meaning at all.

Verendus

Banned
Relaax.

Just cover your eyes when the XIII~LR collection is being announced and stare eyes wide open when XV-KH3 are being shown off.
If this is announced, hopefully it's on Sunday when I'm back home and not within reach of choking whoever is involved with it.

Famassu

But I guess we'll have to wait for next gen to get something 100% new from scratch..
I don't see why we'd have to wait for next-gen for new stuff. There will very likely be a FFXVI during the current generation. I mean, come on, even amidst their past gen troubles, even when it comes only to the FF franchise, they did still manage to deliver three FFXIII games, Crisis Core, Type-0, an MMO that was basically done twice from scratch, two Dissidia games and some smaller titles, in addition to creating another MMO with DQX and lot of other things. It's unlikely that FFXV and a possible sequel or two for it + 2-3 expansions to FFXIV are all that SQEX would deliver FF-wise this generation, not to even mention they do still like to try new IPs now and then, even if they are (somewhat understandably) rarer nowadays than in the SNES and PS1 generation.

Toriyama is reportedly already working on a new project, maybe Ito will emerge from the dungeons after a generation of having to have put up with his projects being put on hold or delayed or even cancelled due to the Crystal Tool & XIV shenanigans.

HeelPower

I don't see why we'd have to wait for next-gen for new stuff. There will very likely be a FFXVI during the current generation. I mean, come on, even amidst their past gen troubles, even when it comes only to the FF franchise, they did still manage to deliver three FFXIII games, Crisis Core, Type-0, an MMO that was basically done twice from scratch, two Dissidia games and some smaller titles, in addition to creating another MMO with DQX and lot of other things. It's unlikely that FFXV and a possible sequel or two for it + 2-3 expansions to FFXIV are all that SQEX would deliver FF-wise this generation, not to even mention they do still like to try new IPs now and then, even if they are (somewhat understandably) rarer nowadays than in the SNES and PS1 generation.

Toriyama is reportedly already working on a new project, maybe Ito will emerge from the dungeons after a generation of having to have put up with his projects being put on hold or delayed or even cancelled due to the Crystal Tool & XIV shenanigans.

Their being no new huge MMO project like ARR makes me think they'll be able to do it at some point.

maybe.Hopefully.

Toth

Toriyama's team still reused a lot of assets for XIII-2 and LR suffers from notable pacing and polishing issues, while none of these games has the scale of an MMO.

What YoshiP did with ARR was a incredible undertaking that no one on SE, let's face it, could have done. Just look at similar MMO's recently released: Elder Scrolls Online took 5 years of development, The Old Republic seemingly took several years at least 4 considering it's announcement and precisely we aren't talking about small sized teams.

Taking those 2 games as base YoshiP and his team build a new engine, mantain and update 1.0 with fixes and new content, and create a new MMO from scratch in a bit more than 2 years. Even with the majority of SE manforce behind I think is nothing sort of and incredible job (specially manage such a big team, unlike other directors at SE).

Also 20-30 doing the groundwork before entering full production is not that uncommon, actually is how EA works (20-30 ppl on pre-production for one year then full production for another year with all the staff) and they manage to get games out of the gate in a timely fashion. I don't think Nomura has any excuse at this point

While I am by no means belittling FFXIV and its incredible revival, a very large portion of the game is copied directly from the oodles of 1.0 data and from FF11 (enemy wise). I think it is fair to say that Yoshi had a body's worth of organs on his hands, just without a skeleton. That he ended up crafting one quite adequately is a testament to his skills.

I've got a 10 buck bet with a friend that KH3 will show up in some way and FF15 will skip out (again). Should I feel confident?

I don't see why we'd have to wait for next-gen for new stuff.

There's just a lot of weird skepticism and pessimism going about in terms of SE's output, even if I think a lot of it is over-inflated, pinning down solely on XV's 'problems.'

I mean, it's somewhat disheartening when some people look at SE's output last gen, and their eyes only see 3 games, which are the Lightning Trilogy, and they act like those are the only games that SE made.

I know 'handheld' games get ignored a lot, and MMOs are not exactly given the same credence as a regular single player game, but SE's output in the handheld space were pretty solid ( with a bit extra work, they're all pretty much console quality ), and FFXIV is a great game.

Retcons are nothing to Lightning.

Heh, speaking of Scrooge, I want him to return in a big way for KH3. He should own entire town of Radiant Garden after selling all that ice cream and even have a money bin, with officer Light to keep the peace. Best world ever.

Cornbread78

If they announce a XIII HD remake before XII for my vita, heads are gonna roll...

I'd only buy 13 again if it was on my vita.

Falk

that puzzling face
seeing that you're the only one who defends FFXIII's performance

All else being equal, LR did fine for itself financially. Public perception on the other hand? Not sure if Square Enix wants to repeat this generation.

There, someone else said it.

Famassu

And FFXIV ARR doesn't reuse assets at all? It was a massive effort, but as far as I can tell, they didn't trash everything from 1.0, assets-wise.

Yeah, it was an amazing feat and I said as much. Still, it's no secret how much it affected every other internal project negatively and how much of special attention & effort it was getting.

It's not uncommon, there are some things you fail to take into consideration. Usually 1) games that have a two+ year development cycle are old franchises with well defined formulas that allow devs to move efficiently from having finished one game to jump into developing the next game. Another thing is that 2) these games are often FPS games that have some 4-8 hour extremely straightforward single player campaigns and at most a dozen or so multiplayer maps. When the game goes for bigger changes (i.e. Bioshock -> Bioshock Infinite), the typical ~2 year dev cycle is out of the window, even for relatively short games. And when those supertight schedules & dev methods are enforced upon stuff like RPGs, the results can be seen in some games like Dragon Age Origins -> Dragon Age 2 and FFXIII -> XIII-2 and Lightning Returns. Either they simply don't have the time to create a lot of varied, even halfway compelling content and/or they are really rushed.

FFXV is basically a new IP as far as the kind of work goes into establishing the game's setting, world, characters, gameplay etc. goes. It will also possibly be one of those games that will take 30-50+ hours just to mostly complete the main story, so understandably it won't be finished in a year after the phase in development is over where a smaller team gets the project off the ground. In addition to FFXV being a massive project, they also went through a generational shift, which understandably adds to the development time as they polish up content that was already there and do some new stuff that the new hardware allows them to do. I mean, Monolith has taken over 4 years with Xenoblade Chronicles X even without all the crap SQEX has dealt with.

I've got a 10 buck bet with a friend that KH3 will show up in some way and FF15 will skip out (again). Should I feel confident?

Aren't they planning on completing FFXV before putting KH3 into full production? Doesn't really make much sense to me why they'd have KH3 footage but not FF.

Aren't they planning on completing FFXV before putting KH3 into full production? Doesn't really make much sense to me why they'd have KH3 footage but not FF.

Different teams. FFXV is done by... someone, whereas KH3 is done by SE Osaka, the team responsible for Birth by Sleep and Dream Drop Distance.

Both games should be in development separately, but FFXV is likely to finish first because it can be assumed that KH3 only started development sometime last year, presumably after cancellation of Birth by Sleep vol.2.

Looking at Osaka team's output, they have a two year dev cycle on handhelds. (BBS was 2010, DDD was 2012), so if we add an extra one year as a minimum extra baseline for HD development, KH3 is going to be 2016 earliest.

And we'd probably get KH : DDD Final Mix for consoles first before that, that game is pretty essential in terms of the set-up from 2 -> 3.

I assume KH3 is in full development since it's a different team.

Different teams. FFXV is done by... someone, whereas KH3 is done by SE Osaka, the team responsible for Birth by Sleep and Dream Drop Distance.

Both games should be in development separately, but FFXV is likely to finish first because it can be assumed that KH3 only started development sometime last year, presumably after cancellation of Birth by Sleep vol.2.

Looking at Osaka team's output, they have a two year dev cycle on handhelds. (BBS was 2010, DDD was 2012), so if we add an extra one year as a minimum extra baseline for HD development, KH3 is going to be 2016 earliest.

And we'd probably get KH : DDD Final Mix for consoles first before that, that game is pretty essential in terms of the set-up from 2 -> 3.

Ahhh, thanks for clearing that up for me you guys. Honestly, I'm kind of expecting there to be a Complete KH Collection for new-gen the year before KH3, especially with it coming to Xbone.

Top Bottom