• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix reveals TGS 2014 booth map

R-User!

"Hope is comforting. It allows us to accept fate, no matter how tragic it might be."

SQUARE|ENIX:
"FFXVHope. It is the quintessential human delusion; simultaneously the source of your greatest strength and your greatest weakness."

Everyone in this thread after FFXV no shows at TGS:
"If I were you, I would hope that we don't meet again."

SQUARE|ENIX:
"We won't."

Dark_castle

Hashimoto previously mentioned about looking forward to FFXV in Tokyo.

spideyyjun2.gif

And FFXIV ARR doesn't reuse assets at all? It was a massive effort, but as far as I can tell, they didn't trash everything from 1.0, assets-wise.

Yeah, it was an amazing feat and I said as much. Still, it's no secret how much it affected every other internal project negatively and how much of special attention & effort it was getting.

It's not uncommon, there are some things you fail to take into consideration. Usually 1) games that have a two+ year development cycle are old franchises with well defined formulas that allow devs to move efficiently from having finished one game to jump into developing the next game. Another thing is that 2) these games are often FPS games that have some 4-8 hour extremely straightforward single player campaigns and at most a dozen or so multiplayer maps. When the game goes for bigger changes (i.e. Bioshock -> Bioshock Infinite), the typical ~2 year dev cycle is out of the window, even for relatively short games. And when those supertight schedules & dev methods are enforced upon stuff like RPGs, the results can be seen in some games like Dragon Age Origins -> Dragon Age 2 and FFXIII -> XIII-2 and Lightning Returns. Either they simply don't have the time to create a lot of varied, even halfway compelling content and/or they are really rushed.

FFXV is basically a new IP as far as the kind of work goes into establishing the game's setting, world, characters, gameplay etc. goes. It will also possibly be one of those games that will take 30-50+ hours just to mostly complete the main story, so understandably it won't be finished in a year after the phase in development is over where a smaller team gets the project off the ground. In addition to FFXV being a massive project, they also went through a generational shift, which understandably adds to the development time as they polish up content that was already there and do some new stuff that the new hardware allows them to do. I mean, Monolith has taken over 4 years with Xenoblade Chronicles X even without all the crap SQEX has dealt with.

ARR reuses assets but never to XIII-2 extent, and not only that, at least Yoshida had the decency to change the battle system, not only for ARR, but also for 1.0 until ARR came out.

Basically ARR is much more of a new experience (or new game) than XIII-2 which felt at times barely nothing else than an expansion.

About FF XV:

I understand that Nomura didn't have a full sized team, due to XIV, but I also understand, that he had a core team of, some very talented individuals, at SE, and the game have been in pre-production for several years (and on full production for some time), so all these fundations should be done by now. But, yet still, they can't barely show anything and what was shown was basically a combat prototype footage under a lot of pre-rendered stuff. I think all this speaks volume of Nomura capacity and vision regarding this project. BI is actually a good comparisson, because is also another game with a notable troubled development, partly due to Ken Levine, which had many dificulties to get the game on track.

Actually appointing Tabata to help Nomura, is not much different as the help Levine had with Jordan Thomas and Rob Fergusson.

We can look at all the problems Nomura had to face with XV, but still dosn't explain why after 8 years, XV seems a game still so far away from completition. There's no possible excuse for this and as much SE enviroments is at fault, there's no doubt that Nomura have it share of it too, and is inexcusable.

While I am by no means belittling FFXIV and its incredible revival, a very large portion of the game is copied directly from the oodles of 1.0 data and from FF11 (enemy wise). I think it is fair to say that Yoshi had a body's worth of organs on his hands, just without a skeleton. That he ended up crafting one quite adequately is a testament to his skills.

That's just not true, there's a fair amount of reused assets, but the entire world, for starters, is totally new. New weapons, armors and a fair amount of new personalization options were added on top of those avaliable on 1.0, which were very barebones.

There are enemies from XI, XII and even XIII but still there's a quite a new number of new enemies.

Even considering these things, the game ditches almost everything from 1.0 for a gameplay perspective, or if not ditched is basically revamped. Combat system, leveling system, skills, character growth, item creation and a large etc... ARR is basically a new game. We are basically talking about systems that were ditched even after they were introduced in 1.0 by the same Yoshida in effort to make 1.0 a playable game.

Using your analogy, even most organs had to be thrown to the trash, because the design philosophy of 1.0 clashed directly with Yoshida MMO design philosophy. Hell. that's what basically Yoshida did when he was put on charge, all the work that the team were doing under Tanaka's direction was basically scrapped....

studyguy

• Solid Bets:
    • FFXIV Announces Chinese sub numbers and adds to total growth
    • FFXIV Ninja job is shown and playable
    • FFXIV Expansion details are shown

• Terrible Bets
    • Looking forward to anything else

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
So HD collection of XIII almost sure giving Kagari's post? Unless she's just referring to the streaming service and S-E's focus on XIII in revealing it ~

All I want is Type-0 HD btw. Hopefully I'll play it before April.

Ishida

Banned
Jesus Christ, insider people! Why are you so cruel and cryptic? Just let us know, Final Fantasy XV at TGS or not?

We, the fans that have been kept in the dark for so long are STARVED and desperate for news! Please don't play with our hearts like that. :(

Sorry.. had to blow off some steam. But even a simple yes or no would be more than enough. :(

HeelPower

Jesus Christ, insider people! Why are you so cruel and cryptic? Just let us know, Final Fantasy XV at TGS or not?

We, the fans that have been kept in the dark for so long are STARVED and desperate for news! Please don't play with our hearts like that. :(

Sorry.. had to blow off some steam. But even a simple yes or no would be more than enough. :(

I think its safe to expect Type-0 HD and Dragon Quest Heroes if you are a DQ fan. FFXV is up in the air but don't build any excitement for it.Avoid disappointment.

zeromcd73

It's not even a week until TGS, and Shinobi/Verendus/Shinobi are all teasing so just take it as a good thing, smile and get excited :)

Go_Ly_Dow

I would like to confirm that yes the above statements are true

Indeed if you do believe hard enough it shall come forth.

Let me be your Shepard you beautiful flock of lambs. This time we shall not see slaughter!

BELIEVE!

Dark_castle

Wat? Source please? I think if they reveal FFXV, they should hold their own event.

Q1 : In E3 that will be arranged in this June, is there any new information about FFXV or KHIII?

A : We would like to keep it secret. It just only a few months from now. I'm pretty sure you will be surprised.*
Actually it is not only in June, there will be many events from now on such as San Diego Comicon, Tokyo Game Show, and others.
We might tell you what is our plans, but it's better you see by yourself at Tokyo. (laugh)

http://www.mognetcentral.com/threads/q-a-with-shinji-hashimoto-from-thailand-comicon-2014.1886/

Koozek

What kind of message would it convey if they didn't show their most important Japanese game at the biggest expo in Japan? Not even SE is that stupid, right? Right? :(
I think there's a good chance for at least a 1-3min trailer. If not, Hashimoto should be accused of lying publicly and asked about it on Twitter/FB^^
Maybe they'll also have their Square Enix 1st Production Department Premier event again in January? Does anybody know if something related is planned?

What kind of message would it convey if they didn't show their most important Japanese game at the biggest expo in Japan? Not even SE is that stupid, right? Right? :(
I think there's a good chance for at least a 1-3min trailer. If not, Hashimoto should be accused of lying publicly and asked about it on Twitter/FB^^
Maybe they'll also have their Square Enix 1st Production Department Premier event again in January? Does anybody know if something related is planned?

What kind of message? Nothing.

There's still Jump Festa.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Whatever its actual likelihood, don't expect anything that is absolutely not a lock like Type 0 HD, more mobile games, and KH 2.5

That way you don't end up disappointed

Asd202

The same message when it skiped E3 and Gamescon. You should not believe Hasimoto and nothing is planned.

Ohhh, right, I forgot about Jump Festa. When is it? (EDIT: nvm, it's Dec., 20-21) But is it really that big of an event to have a mainline FF (re-)revealed there?

Jump Festa is big in Japan.

With that being said, even if FFXV is re-revealed at Jump Festa, don't expect anything other than new trailers. It's not going to be an E3-class blow-out, but rather a teaser to that.

If it appears in Jump Festa, it would be nothing more than to kick-off the marketing cycle of FFXV.

Toth

That's just not true, there's a fair amount of reused assets, but the entire world, for starters, is totally new. New weapons, armors and a fair amount of new personalization options were added on top of those avaliable on 1.0, which were very barebones.

There are enemies from XI, XII and even XIII but still there's a quite a new number of new enemies.

Even considering these things, the game ditches almost everything from 1.0 for a gameplay perspective, or if not ditched is basically revamped. Combat system, leveling system, skills, character growth, item creation and a large etc... ARR is basically a new game. We are basically talking about systems that were ditched even after they were introduced in 1.0 by the same Yoshida in effort to make 1.0 a playable game.

Using your analogy, even most organs had to be thrown to the trash, because the design philosophy of 1.0 clashed directly with Yoshida MMO design philosophy. Hell. that's what basically Yoshida did when he was put on charge, all the work that the team were doing under Tanaka's direction was basically scrapped....

I am not saying the entire world and battle system wasn't new, just that there was a lot of items and designs from 1.0 that had not been implemented yet that were resurrected for ARR (i.e the Titan weapons). Very few items actually were 'new' IIRC.

Sanpunkan

I love all of it. I think I'm more into the build up of hype than the actual events themselves these days. Even if most of my FFXV hype ends in disappointment, I can't say I don't enjoy the hints, rumors, and people like myself going nuts over the smallest news.

I expect FFXV to be at TGS. I have a good feeling about this.
I also had a good feeling about E3 2014.

KoopaTheCasual

Between Shinobi's hints at the beginning of the thread, and Kagari's backwards FFXIII post (versus XIII), I think it's safe to say that we'll probably get some information. However I'm too cynical to expect anything good. So I expect 3 new seconds on the same trailer, as is standard with FFXV "updates".

Dark_castle

Very excited to see more of the setting, especially with the more modern area in Lucis. Really like it when JRPG explores more contemporary setting, like Shadow Hearts, Persona, Parasite Eve series, etc.

Top Bottom