• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix reveals TGS 2014 booth map

HeelPower

Let's focus on XV first. I think everybody and their mother knew about the next entry being in development and just because an 'insider' commented on it, it doesn't change a thing.

As far as concepts go, there are probably tons of them floating around the company.

But in the end it doesn't matter.Resources are limited and only one game will be made.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Let's focus on XV first. I think everybody and their mother knew about the next entry being in development and just because an 'insider' commented on it, it doesn't change a thing.
That may be the case, but . . .

I see where you got your line of thinking from. But no, I wasn't referring to the Agni tech showcase (that's not what a concept demo looks like), that's just what those posters assumed. And XVI is in development, it's not just concept now. I didn't know that for a fact 9 months ago, I do now.
To know it actually is in development . . .

WMx5PiN.gif

KoopaTheCasual

I'm just sick of people assuming fantasy must abide by rigid medieval rules and standards. That's so ridiculously ironic. To me FFXV is such an extreme fantasy, because the setting makes zero sense. Why are there soldiers/knights in medieval armor with automatic rifles and spears? Why is there a scene with a leviathan and steam powered airships in an electric powered metropolis?

None of that makes sense, and that's why it's beautifully fantastic. Please sit down with the "fantasy must be X, Y, or Z" talk.

OmegaDL50

I'm just sick of people assuming fantasy must abide by rigid medieval rules and standards. That's so ridiculously ironic. To me FFXV is such an extreme fantasy, because the setting makes zero sense. Why are there soldiers/knights in medieval armor with automatic rifles and spears? Why is there a scene with a leviathan and steam powered airships in an electric powered metropolis?

None of that makes sense, and that's why it's beautifully fantastic. Please sit down with the "fantasy must be X, Y, or Z" talk.

I never said Final Fantasy must adhere to a specific standard, but if that is what you are taking out of my post, you clearly are reading too much into it.

Going on a fantastical adventure can be taken many ways, but setting and tone as well as the atmosphere greatly contribute to these factors.

Outside a few bits and pieces in the teasers and short trailers of FFXV, there is very little to go on, I would go so far to say that FFXV is very steampunk in it's design, not unlike Final Fantasy VI, with Steam powered fortresses and factories (The Empire and Vector for example, and even Figaro Castle being submersible)

FFX wasn't overly medieval in it's design, but it did have exotic locales. While not so extremely linear as XIII was, the game still managed to feel the world was large in scale and to go start from the southern most tip of Spira in the Baaj Ruins and working your way all the to the Northern Wastes of Zanarkand, it felt like a meaningful quest. There was an actual goal and destination in mind, it actually felt like a fantastical adventure.

We don't know how FFXV will be in this regard. While the game will be heavily character driven, Noctis and crew, hopefully it will also be involving in terms of exploration and world design. The quest is just as equally important then just the people you are controlling.

It's not so much the setting but way the game is presented. Final Fantasy in the earlier titles was as much as the quest than just the character focused narrative. Being more hands on with the lore and world around you, rather then needing to read a bunch of datalogs to fill in the blanks for yourself.

I'm going to be devastated if XV is coming to TGS :/ . I'm excited for Type-0, but c'mon... I would like to see at least a trailer.

I just want a beautifully crafted world that's honest to the story and characters.

FF, at its best, disregards basic associations and expectations of how their universe is designed and manages to surprise delightfully.

FFVII's world where modern technology permutes the most advanced cities akin to science fiction dystopias, but how the design is purposely disconnected from the other parts of the less developed world gave a well-realised fiction of a more grounded FF-universe that balances of style of a worn-down world that has its peaks and lows. And combine that with the overall lore of Gaia/Planet/Lifestream, and you've got a nice world.

FFVIII's world design feels the most polarising in many ways, as it combines high-fantasy style aesthetics with Balamb, etc, the high and lows of the different military/sci-fi stuff here and there, the 1950s style with the trains, towns, etc, but I thought it worked well from an aesthetic standpoint. Story left something to be desired of, but I still feel that the world of VIII really knew how to create different sense of wonders in all the different locales they put in.

FFIX was classic FF in many ways. FFX was too, but the approach of it being more of a post-apocalyptic setting with an Eastern aesthetic rather than European, and the sci-fi stuff being treated as an extension of the existing world of past and present, made it feel different, although it retains the whole scifi meets fantasy feel of all FFs. XII is Ivalice, which is known.

KoopaTheCasual

I never said Final Fantasy must adhere to a specific standard, but if that is what you are taking out of my post, you clearly are reading too much into it.

Going on a fantastical adventure can be taken many ways, but setting and tone as well as the atmosphere greatly contribute to these factors.

Outside a few bits and pieces in the teasers and short trailers of FFXV, there is very little to go on, I would go so far to say that FFXV is very steampunk in it's design, not unlike Final Fantasy VI, with Steam powered fortresses and factories (The Empire and Vector for example, and even Figaro Castle being submersible)

FFX wasn't overly medieval in it's design, but it did have exotic locales. While not so extremely linear as XIII was, the game still managed to feel the world was large in scale and to go start from the southern most tip of Spira in the Baaj Ruins and working your way all the to the Northern Wastes of Zanarkand, it felt like a meaningful quest. There was an actual goal and destination in mind, it actually felt like a fantastical adventure.

We don't know how FFXV will be in this regard. While the game will be heavily character driven, Noctis and crew, hopefully it will also be involving in terms of exploration and world design. The quest is just as equally important then just the people you are controlling.

It's not so much the setting but way the game is presented. Final Fantasy in the earlier titles was as much as the quest than just the character focused narrative. Being more hands on with the lore and world around you, rather then needing to read a bunch of datalogs to fill in the blanks for yourself.
Sorry to seem that I was subliminally assaulting you. That is not my intention, it was a general sentiment that a sentence in your post reminded me of, that some people are very stern in their beliefs of

Dark_castle

FFXV is partially contemporary, partially fantasy. According to Nomura himself, the game starts off in a more modern environment, and eventually extend to a more fantasy-based setting. Given how Niflheim was illustrated, I think their nation will be quite medieval/steampunk-like, and Accordo as we've seen, are renaissance architecture of Venice, which almost feels like it could easily fit into Gaia of FF9.

We have also seen fantastical creature design, and Nomura said the nature of the enemies and environment of this game is more organic rather than mechanical (FFXIII), something along the lines.

All in all I wouldn't think of this installment to be sci-fi. XIII sure, XV, not really.

OmegaDL50

While Agni's Philosophy is nothing more then a tech demo.

The concept seemed interesting. It was very modern. A room of sorcerer's doing a summoning ritual using the power of a Crystal. A group what appears to be middle eastern rebel faction disrupt the summoning ritual. The summoners try to use their magic to defend the lead summoner, but ultimately fail. One of the summoners who is a women takes / steals the Crystal and escapes, the Rebel Faction tries to kill her. In the pursuit the women utters a phrase while under the assault of a drug enhanced mutant dog, and finishes the ritual (maybe) and a creature that looks between Bahamut and Valefor sweeps down and rescues her.

It would make for an interesting FF game. The world is likely hunting down magic users or summoners and the women being the last of her kind needs to protect the Crystal and prevent it from being misused. Or perhaps you play as an Evil sorcerer? An FF game as villain perspective would be unique, no?

I guess the closest FF got to this sort of setting was probably FF8 with it's sort of, with a military academy, modern towns with trains and rental car stations. Money was earned via a salary instead of accumulated in combat. As well as being able to summon magical beasts, and have stock magic power like a form of ammunition.

There are many different facets to the FF series, as long as they maintain the concept of going on a quest and fantastical adventure with the freedom of exploration, I don't mind what direction they take the series.

HeelPower

While Agni's Philosophy is nothing more then a tech demo.

The concept seemed interesting. It was very modern. A room of sorcerer's doing a summoning ritual using the power of a Crystal. A group what appears to be middle eastern rebel faction disrupt the summoning ritual. The summoners try to use their magic to defend the lead summoner, but ultimately fail. One of the summoners who is a women takes / steals the Crystal and escapes, the Rebel Faction tries to kill her. In the pursuit the women utters a phrase while under the assault of a drug enhanced mutant dog, and finishes the ritual (maybe) and a creature that looks between Bahamut and Valefor sweeps down and rescues her.

It would make for an interesting FF game. The world is likely hunting down magic users or summoners and the women being the last of her kind needs to protect the Crystal and prevent it from being misused. Or perhaps you play as an Evil sorcerer? An FF game as villain perspective would be unique, no?

I guess the closest FF got to this sort of setting was probably FF8 with it's sort of, with a military academy, modern towns with trains and rental car stations. Money was earned via a salary instead of accumulated in combat.

There are many different facets to the FF series, as long as they maintain the concept of going on a quest and fantastical adventure with the freedom of exploration, I don't mind what direction they take the series.

The reason why I liked Agni's philosphy is how much it showed off in about 3 minutes.

The clashing of the factions,the summoning and the overall favella setting that eventually leads up to some magnificent looking city in the background was truly rich.

It just showed off good,fertile ground for an interesting story.

It also had a really interesting blend of magic and realism.The Cola bottle scene that she uses as a potion and the shady summoning taking place in secret location.

Really exciting :$

Some Nobody

I see where you got your line of thinking from. But no, I wasn't referring to the Agni tech showcase (that's not what a concept demo looks like), that's just what those posters assumed. And XVI is in development, it's not just concept now. I didn't know that for a fact 9 months ago, I do now.

This is good. Honestly, there's no excuse in XVI coming out any more than two years after XV drops, since XV probably won't see a release until the end of 2015 at the very earliest.

Damn the trolls on Playstation Live!

I was out with family and away from Gaf all day. I get home and decide to watch a Japanese Destiny stream and I saw a user say that Final Fantasy VII Remake was just announced!

My gaming heart skipped a beat and quickly logged onto to Gaf.

1) Gaf was still up and running.
2) There weren't 5 different topics talking about every single aspect of the reveal
3) There wasn't a port begging thread with MOD threatening to ban port beggars
4) The soul crushing realization came crashing down on me

I didn't know what thread to put this in. I'm excited for TGS and hope Square Enix can ignite that Square Soft fanboy currently lying dormant in me somewhere.

LowParry

Damn the trolls on Playstation Live!

I was out with family and away from Gaf all day. I get home and decide to watch a Japanese Destiny stream and I saw a user say that Final Fantasy VII Remake was just announced!

My gaming heart skipped a beat and quickly logged onto to Gaf.

1) Gaf was still up and running.
2) There weren't 5 different topics talking about every single aspect of the reveal
3) There wasn't a port begging thread with MOD threatening to ban port beggars
4) The soul crushing realization came crashing down on me

I didn't know what thread to put this in. I'm excited for TGS and hope Square Enix can ignite that Square Soft fanboy currently lying dormant in me somewhere.

That's some class A trollin'.

Koozek

A lot of the FFs are a mash up in my eyes. Even IX which has the tone you're describing has airships and so on.

XVI will be the opposite of XIII though. It's not futuristic so you might get what you want with that.

Ouuuh, how I love Verendus posts :) May I ask if you're working at a Japanese game company or how do you know so much stuff? Of course, I understand if you wouldn't want to talk too much about it^^

Sanpunkan

Wow! As exciting as it is to know that, it also kind of confuses me considering the company's silence regarding XV. How do they have the bandwidth for so many high-profile titles? I wonder if the release for XV has already been set internally and they're just in the polishing/QA/localization/wait-for-larger-Japanese-PS4-userbase phase now. Or maybe they're just predicting another almost decades-long production for XVI and want to get that started ;).

Philippo

There are castles in FFXV.

yay?! or not old enough p;

I think the architecture shown off so far is fascinating.

That's not a castle, that's basically St Mark's Basilica from Venice :p

edit: On this topic, you guys can't believe how taunting is to live in Venice and thinking "goddamn there is a city in FFXV based on this one give it to me now!" lol.

There are castles in FFXV.

yay?! or not old enough p;

I think the architecture shown off so far is fascinating.

This screen reminds me how much the backgrounds bother me. Everything in the distance doesn't work. It's like the fight scenes at the warzone hall. In the streets in the city beyond, no cars move. Some are stuck in the middle of the street.

Hope we see something more polished soon.

Koozek

This screen reminds me how much the backgrounds bother me. Everything in the distance doesn't work. It's like the fight scenes at the warzone hall. In the streets in the city beyond, no cars move. Some are stuck in the middle of the street.

I'm afraid they're really breaking their necks with this "warp where you want" (it is, right?) feature :/ It creates SO many problems and opens the door for all kinds of eventual glitches and sequence-breaking if they aren't careful and consider every possible game state.

I can't imagine how they even want to fill all those backgrounds. Will there be pedestrians/NPCs? Driving cars? Maaan, there are so many open questions still.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer

Well, a lot of that was target render so...

Vashetti

Banned
Well, a lot of that was target render so...

Can you explain exactly what this means please, Kagari? I think I know but I just want to be sure.

Is it literally just CGI? For example the kind you see in an opening of a FF game, where they use little to no in-game assets and are essentially limitless CGI movies?

Or is this actually running on an engine, on a super-beefed up PC that they're not sure if they'll actually be able to pull off in the real world on less powerful consoles?

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Can you explain exactly what this means please, Kagari? I think I know but I just want to be sure.

Is it literally just CGI? For example the kind you see in an opening of a FF game, where they use little to no in-game assets and are essentially limitless CGI movies?

Or is this actually running on an engine, on a super-beefed up PC that they're not sure if they'll actually be able to pull off in the real world on less powerful consoles?

FFXIII was a huge offender of this: http://www.uffsite.net/news/233/even-more-ff13-graphic-changes.html

Basically developers make target renders using PCs/CGI imagery to make something look in-game and what they'd really like the final product look it. Often times... it doesn't pan out that way.

FFXIII was a huge offender of this: http://www.uffsite.net/news/233/even-more-ff13-graphic-changes.html

Basically developers make target renders using PCs/CGI imagery to make something look in-game and what they'd really like the final product look it. Often times... it doesn't pan out that way.

XIII isn't anymore offensive than any other company that does this, unless you mean SE only.

I thought you were gonna show the 06 trailer. the bottom one was changed from CG to realtime (probably to seamlessly go into the first battle) and the above is correct but that hi-res model of Vanille was used in the game.(just not for that scene)

Philippo

I wonder if they'll be able to integrate a dynamic city in the final product. Even if it's something really basic like a simple looping car ai, etc. Just a rudimentary semblance of a living city

Well for what we know the city in the footage is
under siege
, so i guess normal traffic and pedestrians would be pretty unusual in such state.
But yeah i got what you say, it's useless to have such a big field in the background if it only looks like a lifeless CG picture, unlike for example GTAV.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
XIII isn't anymore offensive than any other company that does this, unless you mean SE only.

I thought you were gonna show the 06 trailer. the bottom one was changed from CG to realtime (probably to seamlessly go into the first battle) and the above is correct but that hi-res model of Vanille was used in the game.(just not for that scene)

The 2006 trailer was a blatant lie. Footage that looked playable only to end as a cutscene in the final product. Shameful.

Falk

that puzzling face
Also don't forget, considering Versus XIII likely existed on different generations of hardware so far and the call to make it this gen very likely happened long before the name change/reveal happened, meaning for a time it was being developed for hardware that was uncertain, it'd be nuts to think it wasn't being developed on a PC environment then trimmed to fit. Hashimoto even said as much last year.

edit: worst run-on sentence 2014

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Also don't forget, considering Versus XIII likely existed on different generations of hardware so far and the call to make it this gen very likely happened long before the name change/reveal happened, meaning for a time it was being developed for hardware that was uncertain, it'd be nuts to think it wasn't being developed on a PC environment then trimmed to fit. Hashimoto even said as much last year.

edit: worst run-on sentence 2014

The gameplay video from last year definitely had PS3-era models/animations in it. :eek:

Falk

that puzzling face
Heh, I probably shouldn't say too much more about this, but art assets aren't the only thing.

If you think about it, Somnus was composed and recorded in 2006. The methodology and even the overall characteristic sound of orchestral recordings (especially as far as Square Enix is concerned) has changed so much since then.

edit: OMNIS LACRIMA appears to be ~2009

The 2006 trailer was a blatant lie. Footage that looked playable only to end as a cutscene in the final product. Shameful.

according to history that was a concept they threw together for the show, no more a lie than when developers like them show a target render and pass it as final product.

i would love for the reverse to happen: show something good and as development furthers it starts to look better. but nope we gotta hype

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
The gameplay video from last year definitely had PS3-era models/animations in it. :eek:

To me it looked very much like what it was, a game that was originally on PS3 and then they tried whatever they could to upgrade it to look more like a PS4 game in a relatively short period of time.

Like a lot of these have a little too much of the little details (like the amount of hair geometry, some of the shaders, or the general draw distance), but then some of the larger features like the environment detail aren't exactly what you'd expect out of a PS4/XB1 only title shipping in 2015. I tried to take them from the actual gameplay video since the first video at the conference was a target render from a PC IIRC.

Evolve has a very similar situation where you can read all the little text and see the details on the guns and there are nice post processing and particle effects, but the whole thing looks a bit off. I included a couple screens of it below as well to illustrate.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Heh, I probably shouldn't say too much more about this, but art assets aren't the only thing.

If you think about it, Somnus was composed and recorded in 2006. The methodology and even the overall characteristic sound of orchestral recordings (especially as far as Square Enix is concerned) has changed so much since then.

2008 actually lol.

dramatis

The uninitiated and inexperienced have too much fun.
This is the newly initiated:
I'm so damn hyped for this!
And we all know what happened
zeromcd73
ready to suck all the dicks available
Even they get burned.

If you're bitter and jaded, at least you're less likely to get roasted. Nowadays I feel like hope is something that can't be held for Square Enix. I wish I could be like my brother, who migrated to another franchise—Tales, which is great for him because at least he knows the games will release on time.

On the other hand I guess we are luckier than Shenmue fans or Suikoden fans.

wmlk

There are actually two versions of Somnus. The earlier rendition is from the reveal trailers, and the one we've grown accustomed to now is from 'drammatica'.

I don't think it'll be jarring in the slightest, though. Kaoru Wada is probably arranging it like usual for Shimomura.

EDIT: I understand that you work with live recording and such so you know better than I do.

Koozek

If I remember correctly you were working with the VGO on LR (and KH2.5, etc.) and a while ago there was that tweet from VGO that they were surprised about working on "that game", so: are you working on FFXV, right now? :p Your first sentence implies that you know something, hehe.

Falk

that puzzling face
There are actually two versions of Somnus. The earlier rendition is from the reveal trailers, and the one we've grown accustomed to now is from 'drammatica'.

I don't think it'll be jarring in the slightest, though. Kaoru Wada is probably arranging it like usual for Shimomura.

Yeah, I was mostly talking about the engineering side, bub.

And yes, Shimomura and Wada make an amazing combination. Dream Drop Distance holy shit

edit at above: Sorry, NDA. What I can tell you is that my sentence was in reference to KH2.5 - before any of the work got done we did have a long pre-discussion on what kind of sound the remastered music should have and what the 'general expectation' out of Square Enix music was going forward, etc.

Koozek

Yeah, I was mostly talking about the engineering side, bub.

And yes, Shimomura and Wada make an amazing combination. Dream Drop Distance holy shit

edit at above: Sorry, NDA. What I can tell you is that my sentence was in reference to KH2.5 - before any of the work got done we did have a long pre-discussion on what kind of sound the remastered music should have and what the 'general expectation' out of Square Enix music was going forward, etc.

Oh, okay^^ Wonderful work on the LR soundtrack, by the way!

jiggle

not expecting a real next gen looking Agni's quality Final Fantasy until XVI(and ffviir, of course)
the hair in xv was especially bad compared to Agni's

Koozek

not expecting a real next gen looking Agni's quality Final Fantasy until XVI(and ffviir, of course)
the hair in xv was especially bad compared to Agni's

Yeah, to be honest I think so, too. You could see in the gameplay trailer that it was based on PS3 assets. Mostly the character models which really didn't look great and some stiff animations when Noctis gets hit as an example (the same problem was in the 2011 trailer, too, when Noctis gets attacked by the Behemot). I think this will be the first gen where SE won't set a graphical benchmark with the first FF :/ Maybe FFXVI with help from other SCE Worldwide Studios (though it would then have to be a Sony exclusive, obviously).

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Even FF15 still comes directly from a PS3 development process, they're going to upshine everything the best they can, but its definately not going to be the best example of next gen tech out there. I'm looking more towards KH3 for that....BBS still looks amazing even blown up to an HD screen...so what can be done on consoles an order of magnitude more powerful then that result in!?

wmlk

Even FF15 still comes directly from a PS3 development process, they're going to upshine everything the best they can, but its definately not going to be the best example of next gen tech out there. I'm looking more towards KH3 for that....BBS still looks amazing even blown up to an HD screen...so what can be done on consoles an order of magnitude more powerful then that result in!?
KH3 is the first ground-up console game from Osaka team. Highly doubt that'll be too impressive.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
KH3 is the first ground-up console game from Osaka team. Highly doubt that'll be too impressive.

Ready. At. Dawn.

The two development houses were at the same situation, maxing out their current portable system(infact its the same platform they developed on for a while), and now getting to work on something substantially more powerful

Top Bottom