• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix shows WITCH CHAPTER 0 [cry] Luminous Engine demo [DX12, 4 Titan, Screens]

Dark_castle

In 2013 Square Enix went back to their old structure of having a bunch of business divisions each being in charge of a set of franchises/project types. Kitase heads the first division, Tabata heads the second division, Hashimoto heads the third division, Yoshida heads the fifth division, etc. There are over a dozen, and some are dedicated towards mobile stuff.
And Ito heads the sixth division, currently making FFXVI right? Right...?

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Their tech engine is already being used for a game.

hvehwz.gif

Man, this new chocobo design just isn't doing it for me.

Reveirg

In 2013 Square Enix went back to their old structure of having a bunch of business divisions each being in charge of a set of franchises/project types. Kitase heads the first division, Tabata heads the second division, Hashimoto heads the third division, Yoshida heads the fifth division, etc. There are over a dozen, and some are dedicated towards mobile stuff.

Is there a comprehensive list of them somewhere?

New FFXV footage looks cool too.

Either way, Agni is one of my favorite tech demos (that will never become a thing).

This looks pretty good too.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Oh, I see.

But Division 1 must be working on something else than Mobius considering Toriyama's not on it, no?

We don't know who the direct of Mobius is actually, only the Project Lead.

It's possible he's actually directing it and they just haven't said so yet.

That said I wouldn't be surprised if they were trying two mobile games given the likely staff size of the team.

Nope. Division 1 is currently very active working on launching Mobius Final Fantasy, one of the company's flagship titles for 2015!

Meanwhile, on the front page of Polytaku, a prominent gaming news source...

BREAKING: Square-Enix working on next Final Fantasy game for Morpheus due for 2015 release

(neogaf)

Square Enix Japan used to be broken up into a lot of departments.

I think they've consolidated those and stopped marketing them, but this is presumably a leftover of that.

They consolidated those at one point, but then they went back to it again. The company can't really make up their minds. :p

Thanks. I love these stuff. It's a shame they stopped marketing them. When they first announced their divisions in 2003 it was like a giant lineup of top directors and dream projects. It was a great time.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
So they have a PC demo running on w10 and dx12? Why not just announce the port?

My ps4 will continue to collect dust if it happens.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Just say your making FF16 Agni for PS4/XB1/PC SE, just do it, you already are invested in the character, just make it a thing already.

Also, 8 million poly's is very excessive. You achieved nearly the same result in Agni's first demo, at 1080p 60 on a single 680. And then she had 1 million poly's. And Stella in FF15 running on PS4 looks pretty detailed as well.

I know its a tech demo, but things like this are very misleading unless you can pinpoint exactly the types of techniques you learned making this demonstration.

4 sli titans in an i7 and 32GB ram is like the highest of the high end

KoopaTheCasual

It actually felt a lot like Final Fantasy x Resident Evil to me when I first saw the demo.
Duuude.... that sounds so dumb, I want it now.

Casting blizzaga on zombies, in a cityscape?

If you close your eyes hard enough, you can pretend it's a spiritual Parasite Eve successor.

Reveirg

That said I wouldn't be surprised if they were trying two mobile games given the likely staff size of the team.

That wouldn't surprise me at all. It's something they've been doing with S-E Montreal's team and they're very happy with the results so far.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Impressive.

Question: I know Square Pictures was dissolved and situated in Hawaii but re-emerged mostly as Visual Works; do SE still have an office in Hawaii for CG treatment or is it all located in Japan now?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

BUILD isn't really a video game conference.

Square Enix is at the PC E3 conference and having a major showing for FFXV at Gamescom, so if it's a simultaneous launch, I'd expect it announced at one of those two.

duckroll

Thanks. I love these stuff. It's a shame they stopped marketing them. When they first announced their divisions in 2003 it was like a giant lineup of top directors and dream projects. It was a great time.

They might not market them to consumers, probably because they feel it is kinda confusing at this point (it is), but they definitely market them openly for recruitment. Many of the open positions on their recruitment page specifics which division is hiring, and they have introduction messages and interviews from division heads and staff in the various divisions talking about the work scope and work environment. It's not something they're hiding.

Impressive.

Question: I know Square Pictures was dissolved and situated in Hawaii but re-emerged mostly as Visual Works; do SE still have an office in Hawaii for CG treatment or is it all located in Japan now?

This isn't really accurate. Visual Works is the evolution of the CG staff which was always based in Japan. From the FFVII days onwards. Square Pictures was something else entirely, set up specifically to make the FF:TSW motion picture. They hired extensively from Hollywood. Square Pictures was never involved with creating CG for games. Even as FF:TSW was in production, the Japanese CG staff made the FMVs for FFIX, FFX, etc.

Boss Mog

Obviously a PC version will happen. They need to get as much back as possible after having this game in development for 10 years. That being said I wouldn't expect it to come out until at least a year after the console versions and they certainly won't announce it until the console versions have been on sale for a while.

Xyber

I would love to see a high quality video of this (or even better, get a demo I can run). Screens look really good.

TheTux

Impressive.

I can't say for sure but I think everything is in Japan right now, except Sakaguchi of course :p.

FFXIII was developed on PC too.

Honestly I expect them to release FFXV on PC after some time (best case scenario months, likely years, maybe after all games in XV universe are released on console?) after it comes out on consoles just like they are releasing the FFXIII trilogy.

I'm 100% sure it will eventually come to PC, the question is how long after the console release.

dramatis

Square Enix can't release a tech demo of anything without people thinking it's going to be their next Final Fantasy game.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I wonder what the demo is running at? 4k 60? With 4 sli titans you'd expect something like that, especially considering that the actual graphics themselves don't look much better than agni.

And yeah people, why are you even asking about FF15 coming to PC? That's basically going to happen. After the console versions sure, cause i'm guessing they want to give full priority to PS4/XB1 optimization, but its inevitable

Top Bottom