• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix shows WITCH CHAPTER 0 [cry] Luminous Engine demo [DX12, 4 Titan, Screens]

Point #1:

I found something on a Square Enix employee's resume that could be very interesting, but I'm not sure how reliable it is......... he describes Agni's Philosophy as a "movie teaser."

.... which seems to me to imply that Agni's Pholosophy is a full-length film project along the lines of Spirits Within and Advent Children.

Point #2:
Square Enix has been hiring CG movie producers and directors this year. They had job listing up back in February (now gone) seeking a "game and movie director" for pre-rendered cinematics

SE called itself "a world-class game and movie studio to the global market" in the ad. Rather an odd description for itself when they haven't done a CG movie since 2009.

There is also a listing up now for a game and movie CG producer though it doesn't include the "world class movie studio" bit
https://js01.jposting.net/square-enix/u/producer/job.phtml?job_code=419

Now that could all just be standard Visual Works stuff, but I do wonder if this is a larger CG project being worked on here.
Not sure I want a CG movie with non-sensical story. Atleast the redeeming factor with FFVII: AC was that it was a fan service with beloved characters. Otherwise Spirits Within was forgettable at best.

I should add that another thing that caught my eye on that job listing (now gone, so I can't double-check it) was that they used the world 映画 instead of 映像 , which again seemed to imply a film production rather than just the usual CG clips.

aa7.gif
OMG MAGIC SCHOOL BUS NOSTALGIAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Reveirg

Hm? If you're talking about the rumored, cancelled Eidos Montreal FF, or FF Fortress which apparently should have been continued at Eidos Montreal before 2011, yeah, I know about them now. I still believe they're working on something else.

Maybe in Japan, but not in Montreal.

Reveirg

There obviously has been another mainline FF in pre-production for a few years at least and probably even further in Japan, yeah. The one Verendus described as medieval.

Yeah, actually I'm positive there hasn't been a single point in S-E's existence without 1 or even 2 unknown mainline FF being in pre-production.

As for Verendus' claim that it's medieval... That'd certainly be interesting. There's only been one non-MMO mainline FF in that style in almost 15 years!

Koozek

Yeah, actually I'm positive there hasn't been a single point in S-E's existence without 1 or even 2 unknown mainline FF being in pre-production.

As for Verendus' claim that it's medieval... That'd certainly be interesting. There's only been one non-MMO mainline FF in that style in almost 15 years!

He also said this about it:
Already on the way. The concept of it is also quite unique. It will certainly be something that hasn't been done before in Final Fantasy, if they manage to accomplish it. I'd put it in the back of your mind for now though, as I would personally expect FF15 and KH3 to be out before it.
And it seems like it will have summon traversal:
Haha. See Agni, see a subtle hint for what I may be referring to in regards to a certain gameplay aspect (not so subtle when you know it though)!

If Final Fantasy 16 really went into Full Production since the Beginning of 2014.....I could imagine a Release by the End of 2017 (only one Year later than FF15 - it that comes out Q4 2016)

Well that would be awesome

AESplusF

And it seems like it will have summon traversal:

If that's the case, I wonder how it would work out.
The summons in XIII had so much potential, hell that entire world had so much potential, and they totally squandered it.

Also makes me wonder if the game will be seamless or action, because how else would you make that kind of feature more than a travel option.

Koozek

If that's the case, I wonder how it would work out.
The summons in XIII had so much potential, hell that entire world had so much potential, and they totally squandered it.

Also makes me wonder if the game will be seamless or action, because how else would you make that kind of feature more than a travel option.

Also I think this part from an interview with Kitase from last year could be related to FFXVI:
"We are quite aware of [PS4 & Xbox One's] capabilities and certainly one thing that's going to come up is having battles with a lot more participants involved," he continued. "Having a lot more characters, a lot more things happening, that's one of the things that the new hardware does really well, so to maybe make a battle system for a Final Fantasy game or a future game that fits with that, I think it would be quite good to have more characters for the player to control and more participants in the battle."
Imagine large-scale, squad-based battles (maybe like The Last Remnant) with huge summons flying above the battlefield doing crazy stuff.

AESplusF

Yeah I've read that before but hmm
I'm sure they have more than a couple buns in the oven
I never played The Last Remnant so I don't know if they succeeded. edit: lol sounds like they didn't.

theofficefan99

Really, really hoping XVI isn't medieval. Even XIV seems pretty generic to me. Love SE's sci-fi/futuristic and modern settings.

Then again, I can't think of any offline main Final Fantasy title that didn't have amazing art direction.

AESplusF

Really, really hoping XVI isn't medieval. Even XIV seems pretty generic to me. Love SE's sci-fi/futuristic and modern settings.

Then again, I can't think of any offline main Final Fantasy title that didn't have amazing art direction.

XIV is really only generic if your'e comparing it to the non-MMO mainline games

Personally, I'd be happy with a charming medieval setting like IX, or with a surreal fantasy setting like VIII or X
Kinda leaning towards surreal because it would look fucking incredible in the Luminous engine.
I don't want something with the same flavor as XV because I don't really want two mainline games in a row with similar settings.

Falk

that puzzling face
I never played The Last Remnant so I don't know if they succeeded. edit: lol sounds like they didn't.

TLR was pretty great, if neutered due to hardware. PC version runs like a charm nowadays.

It's definitely a very unique experience.

The reason WHY people want a medieval game is because there hasn't been a traditional one that wasn't offline in a WHILE. Share the wealth. There should be an offline medieval FF, and I still think FFXIV whould've been a sci-fi/futuristic FF(to be a heavy contrast to FFXI being medieval).

In all truthfulness, this series jumps back and forth all the time. Nobody should be mad if we get a new game that's medieval considering how the last few offline games have been set in the future and modern-echoed eras. It's time to jump back. Had Square wanted to turn the series into pure sci-fi, futuristic set series, they would've done it after FFVII. FFVIII was the closest we got to that kind of "future", but then Square bounced back towards medieval-inspired setting with FFIX(which, style-wise, took concepts from Medieval up to Victorian era inspiration), did FFX(which was a mixture of some medieval and some futuristic sci-fi), FFXI(more medieval; probably the most PURE medieval since FFV), FFXII(another hodgepodge of eras, inspired by Late Antique-Early Medieval with other scattered styles, like Art Deco and, as Yoshida said, inspiration from the protective gear worn by athletes of Extreme Sports), FFXIII(which was highly futuristic), FFXIV(back to medieval), and now FFXV(modern setting, but with some scattered style choices). It's a series that, the only true constant seems to be that it bounces around regarding setting. I guess that works with the whole, "Final Fantasy is about change" mantra, because it doesn't focus on just ONE setting or time period(and on many occasions, puts many settings into a blender to make new settings).

And I still wanna see a FF set in an era similar to the early 20th century, something post-Victorian up to 1940s style, old NYC/LA/Chicago styled buildings, hints of noir, Edwardian London, Bolshevik Revolution Russia, newsboys with caps, flapper women, but with magic, magitek, Bahamut and crystals.

Whoa! Arnold's a C'ieth!!!

AESplusF

TLR was pretty great, if neutered due to hardware. PC version runs like a charm nowadays.

It's definitely a very unique experience.

Oh, very positive reviews on steam, dirt cheap for $10, I might have to pick it up.
I was just going off of the console scores, and one review video.

This "alternate reality" stuff is similar to what Tabata wants to do someday, actually

I wonder if that's what he plans to do with the Type-X series, that teaser looks like it could have been set in the Edo period (1600's Japan).

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
Oh, very positive reviews on steam, dirt cheap for $10, I might have to pick it up.
I was just going off of the console scores, and one review video.

I wonder if that's what he plans to do with the Type-X series, that teaser looks like it could have been set in the Edo period (1600's Japan).

The Last Remnant is great.
Really, really great.
The PC version, anyway.

Falk

that puzzling face
^ hi5

stealth-3-weeks-later-edit-because-necro:

gHABrWB.jpg

FFFYEAAAAH 1080p60 on the big screen let's gooo

Top Bottom