• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix shows WITCH CHAPTER 0 [cry] Luminous Engine demo [DX12, 4 Titan, Screens]

I don't like these demos. It's technically impressive and all, but the art style is ugly as sin and I'd rather play a game with the graphics of Square's PS2 work than this.

I don't know, I just find realism boring.

Show me what you can do with this tech with a Kingdom Hearts art style or something.

Sid

This is what the PS4 can do with dat trifecta of coding to the metal,GPGPU and sweet sweet optimisation

This is what the PS4 can do with dat trifecta of coding to the metal,GPGPU and sweet sweet optimisation

FUSL

On Demand

Banned
I hope ffviir looks that good

It takes 4 Titans to render this in a controlled environment with only one character on screen. What do you think it would take to render a full game like this with many more characters, objects, AI, etc in real time game play? We're not going to see this level of quality in games for awhile I think. Not even on PC.

Sou

It is nice to see people on gaf not taking this at face value.

Like what others have said, 4 titan x's to render a single character is nice and all, but what does that have to do with playable games?

Like what others have said, 4 titan x's to render a single character is nice and all, but what does that have to do with playable games?
Like benzy posted a couple pages earlier

Will be interesting to see how close they can reach that target when they optimize it for an actual game.

FFXV

UgR9bfY.jpg

Old Agni's demo

original_j.jpg

SE showed Agni's demo in 2012 and now we are getting a game that is using the same technology, and despite being toned down, it looks freaking sweet.

Similarly a toned down version of this demo in a real-time game would look great. Although that won't happen for quite a while, not until the next generation.

On Demand

Banned

Eh. David Cage's old man PS4 demo was met with more doubt.

Are we getting FF15 for PC then? What the hell.

This whole thing just made me upset that its going to be console exclusive... :x

I don't see the point of informing us about the advancements in their engine tech.

It's a tech demo - while they are already struggling to release a single high profile Japanese game.
They boost it with custom PC setups and DX12 and whatnot yet there will never be a game release for PC by them that is fully designed to make use of that. Because there's "no one" there to run such a setup and buy their game. They would be better off getting to run their engine on the two consoles as efficiently as possible, to squeeze more graphic fidelity out of the hardware. For the sake of FFXV (which isn't even announced for PC) and FFXVI on PS4/XB1 (if that isn't delayed to next gen, too).

These advancements don't even look earth-shattering, especially considering the hardware involved. Touting "milestone in an industry that has long-struggled to cross the “uncanny valley" is... bleh. Looks great but how does it perform better there than other high end engines? I guess the point is the character doesn't look creepily real?

Will they even license out their engine?! Why show this at all and not just demonstrate how an actual game's graphics improved over time thanks to internal tech?

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
SE have already said they have no plans to give out Luminous engine to any other company, which makes these "tech demonstrations" even more baffling. They put out the exact same demo they showed in 2012 at E3, also at the PS4 introduction conference in Feburary 2013 knowing that it was not even running on PS4 to begin with. They went there to waste everybodies time about what their visual aspirations were.

I think Yoshida had it right when he said they haven't changed all that much in terms of their priorities from back when FF13 and 14 1.0 came out with the disaster that was crystal tools (seriously, 10,000 polygons for a single barrel?)

I wish the console manufacturers would see this footage as "Yes, our next console MUST match the same PC specifications to run games at this level of graphical fidelity & stability while selling it at $399." instead of going "Wow! That looks totally awesome. I hope this runs on low-mid level PC specs. I'm sure it's fine, else the devs should downgrade their games, I'm sure the public won't notice it.".

Mr. RHC

Will they even license out their engine?! Why show this at all and not just demonstrate how an actual game's graphics improved over time thanks to internal tech?

Because it's looks exciting. I'm still awestruck looking at the super amazing hair and skin and everything.

63 million polygons per scene. Every piece of hair is rendered as a polygon. 50 different shaders.
I don't know what all of this means but it sounds amazing and mindblowing.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
I think these technology demos almost never translate to something happening in game. I rember square had the ballroom scene in ff8 running on the ps2. Never saw a game look like that in the entire generation.

baterism

Pretty amazed by how technology moved.

Now a tower chocked with 4 titan could render in real time what might take a render farm several years ago.

owasog

So what is made possible by DX12 and what is made possible by the four Titans? Without that info this demo is kind of pointless (as a dx12 showcase).

some months ago, people claimed that the engine would be dead (next failure after crystal tools).....So it looks like those people were wrong?

rambis

Banned
Seemed ok but I expected more from 4 Titans. I remember being more impressed with Agnis's when it first surfaced.

Jigolo

So they used brute force to make this happen? Expect these kinds of visuals on next gen consoles then in 2019/2020.

They could move it to CG rendering or just preparing it slowly for the next-generation.

But FF XV runs on the Luminous Engine? By the time FF XV is finished, the engine will also be (Luminous 2.0)
After that i could imagine several projects using this engine

Tabata also said there is/are another project(s) that is/are using the Luminous Engine

I think the engine had some problems, but now they are going into the right direction

Just say your making FF16 Agni for PS4/XB1/PC SE, just do it, you already are invested in the character, just make it a thing already.

Also, 8 million poly's is very excessive. You achieved nearly the same result in Agni's first demo, at 1080p 60 on a single 680. And then she had 1 million poly's. And Stella in FF15 running on PS4 looks pretty detailed as well.

I know its a tech demo, but things like this are very misleading unless you can pinpoint exactly the types of techniques you learned making this demonstration.

4 sli titans in an i7 and 32GB ram is like the highest of the high end
Oh honey.

It's a tech demo used to hype up direct x and Nvidia to other developers and the press. What tu are getting at the moment is just a brief summary. The details aren't going to be given with the limited amount of time they have on stage.

Just relax, have a cocoa and remind yourself it's misleading because not only because you weren't there, but the presentation is not made for people like us.

Wow... to think I might be able to play that in 6 years or so...
I cant believe I seen such a huge gap between my NES.. and my PC.

Well, I am. Agni's Philosophy is still the most interesting thing the Japanese part of S-E has done in the past few years from my PoV :p

Agreed. Even if I'm eagerly waiting for FFXV since 2006 when it was Versus XIII, Agni's Philosphy look so much better in term of characters and settings...
If it doesnt translate into something more than a tech demo, I'd be annoyed.

Falk

that puzzling face
Oh honey.

It's a tech demo used to hype up direct x and Nvidia to other developers and the press. What tu are getting at the moment is just a brief summary. The details aren't going to be given with the limited amount of time they have on stage.

Just relax, have a cocoa and remind yourself it's misleading because not only because you weren't there, but the presentation is not made for people like us.

Someone said elsewhere it's like sending a rocket to the moon and people say 'so what it's not gonna be commercially viable for the layman anyway' regardless of the actual achievement

I read that analogy and went ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

iceatcs

With that 4 Titans, it doesn't looks impressive to be honest.

I was expecting much more of that.

b0bbyJ03

So what is made possible by DX12 and what is made possible by the four Titans? Without that info this demo is kind of pointless (as a dx12 showcase).

I think they said that with DX12 they could get between 6 to 12 times the amount of polygons or something like that, vs DX11

UnrealEck

I think a lot of people are missing the point of the tech demo. It's about numbers and what's possible with the latest DirectX. It's not necessarily going to be a sweet spot or best use of the budget for optimal graphical quality in the context of what you would see in a game where they use the budget much better.
I don't think this is a 'look at what graphics you can get in a game using TitanX' it's more 'we can process much, much more data using DX12 over 11'.

Honestly though, I don't see the point of showcasing the power of 4 GTX titans, which might not even be in the next generation of consoles.

That's actually somewhat depressing. To think that this tech demo would indicate the consumer standard for graphics we could reach in two more gens...

I think a lot of people are overthinking the 4 Titans requirement. Square needs to post specs. I don't think 4 Titans was really used for the overall technical aspects. How much usage did the hardware get. Were they rendering at 4 or 5k, was it 16x or 32x MSAA, was it 60+ fps?

I think a scene such as the tech demo could be doable on a current high end single graphics card at 1080p 30 and 2x-4x MSAA

b0bbyJ03

I think a lot of people are overthinking the 4 Titans requirement. Square needs to post specs. I don't think 4 Titans was really used for the overall technical aspects. How much usage did the hardware get. Were they rendering at 4 or 5k, was it 16x or 32x MSAA, was it 60+ fps?

I think a scene such as the tech demo could be doable on a current high end single graphics card at 1080p 30 and 2x-4x MSAA

I agree... visually it was not that far from what we have now... the lack of aliasing and fidelity is what put it in the CG realm.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Though, being dx12, it could have been SFR and had full access to that 48 gb instead of just mirroring.
Even if any card's RAM was addressable to any other card, assets will continue being copied over to each card's RAM just because that's the only kind of memory which gives the many-10s-of-gigabyte/s BW needed. Same as when assets could be kept in system RAM (circa dx7 or 8, IIRC), and develops would still send them over to GPU's RAM, because performance.

Nzyme32

Honestly though, I don't see the point of showcasing the power of 4 GTX titans, which might not even be in the next generation of consoles.

You should probably be aware that due to efficiency issues of SLI, 4 Titans in SLI does not equal 4x 1xTitan performance.

VRAM is only equal to a single card's VRAM, and the performance of each additional card is reduced pretty heavily for the additional card when in SLI.

Top Bottom