• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix talks strong Switch support, mobile, using FF15 style updates more places

BigEmil

"- Talks about extending the life of titles through updates and DLC allowing them to continue selling for longer periods of time (FFXV in this case)"

giphy.gif

Don't give me this crap Square. Guess ill buy all your new games years after release then.
Finish your game first then you don't have to update it later on.
Though i can see why they wanna do this more since continous updates add extra media attention towards the game like monthly and helps get more sales, smart but still shitty

Dinjoralo

Wow, they acknowledged Game Mode on Windows 10? That's kind of random, to me. Especially for a company like Square Enix, not exactly known for keeping in touch with PC gaming.

Wow, they acknowledged Game Mode on Windows 10? That's kind of random, to me. Especially for a company like Square Enix, not exactly known for keeping in touch with PC gaming.

??? How is SE not in touch with PC gaming. Almost every Tomb Raider, Final Fantasy, and Deus Ex game is on PC. For Deus Ex, every game is on PC. They also put in more significant work for FFXiII-2 and Lightning Returns after user feedback on FFXIII.

Pinky

Banned
They need to show a lot more love for the VC in NA as well. Wii VC had great support from S-E, but not so much for Wii U.

I need:

FF 1/4/6
DQ1-6
Secret of Mana (or release the collection in the west. ;) )
Chrono Trigger
ActRaiser
Etc...

StereoVsn

Credits to zeromcd, thought this was an interesting interview

- Notes that releasing titles in Japan than waiting several months to release their titles overseas is not a good business strategy, especially for their story/adventure focused titles and continues to note the importance of worldwide releases

Don't be excited if old.

For all the shit we love to give SE, they understand this particular point quite well. I really wish Atlus, Sega, Namco, and Falcom would take it to heart. They seem to do so for Chinese localizations and releases (or at least more often then the West), but the huge localization delays in this age of Internet spoilers and global releases need to be significantly shortened.

Of course on the other hand SE drops the ball on PC support releases at same or near console releases (except for Nier :p).
??? How is SE not in touch with PC gaming. Almost every Tomb Raider, Final Fantasy, and Deus Ex game is on PC. For Deus Ex, every game is on PC. They also put in more significant work for FFXiII-2 and Lightning Returns after user feedback on FFXIII.
They need to adopt Namco strategy of same or near same release times. It paid off for then with Nier. The PC release of FFXV is not going to generate comparable revenue and profit vs same day/week/month release.

StereoVsn

"- Talks about extending the life of titles through updates and DLC allowing them to continue selling for longer periods of time (FFXV in this case)"

giphy.gif

Don't give me this crap Square. Guess ill buy all your new games years after release then.
Though i can see why they wanna do this more since continous updates add extra media attention towards the game like monthly and helps get more sales, smart but still shitty
Well, look at Nier. Great game on release but if SE extends it with DLC and updates over next year, would that be bad? Got to ship the game at some point. FFXV is just a special mess due to its development hurdles.

Asd202

DQ11 is straight up the 1st game ever announced for switch over a year ago or so

And? They haven't even talked and shown anything about this version, it's not featured in latest magazine scoops that are all 3DS and PS4 only and Switch is not even on the games main website. Also like I said over a year ago would put it up in middle of development and no dev kits were ready over a year ago. Anyway we shall see in 5 days if it will change.

I'm expecting that the following games show up at some point on Switch if sales go well:

- Nier
- Tomb Raider
- Dragon Quest Builders

- whatever Marvel game Square is making.

Maybe we see:

- rumored Wii U FF III remake
- Final Fantasy Dissidia (Could do DLC for years)
- Final Fantasy Explorers (Could do DLC for years)
- FFXIV (could do updates for years)

Eliseo

I'm expecting that the following games show up at some point on Switch if sales go well:

- Nier- maybe
- Tomb Raider - nope
- Dragon Quest Builders - for sure

- whatever Marvel game Square is making.

Maybe we see:

- rumored Wii U FF III remake - nope
- Final Fantasy Dissidia (Could do DLC for years) - nope
- Final Fantasy Explorers (Could do DLC for years) - maybe
- FFXIV (could do updates for years)
I fucking hope so

As long as SE are considering ports for Switch, all I want is just Kingdom Hearts 3 and Final Fantasy 12 really.

Anything else would be a bonus.

Luckily KH3 has a shot due to it using UE4. Final Fantasy 15 has no shot due to its engine, I mean it seemed to have issues already on existing platforms.

I'm personally thrilled they brought DQ Heroes 1 and 2. Honestly even the demo footage impressed me, and the final version (which hardly anyone recorded footage of, for some reason) is supposed to run better than that. It's Day 1 for me if Nintendo are indeed localizing it as numerous retailers indicate.

I'm confused as to why SE won't show off DQ11 on Switch. It's completely absent in all marketing for the game. What's the hold up?

I really hope we see Chocobo make a comeback on Switch. I LOVED Chocobo's Dungeon on Wii, and really a remaster with the added DS version's content on Switch would be amazing. Give h.a.n.d. some work SE!

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels

giphy.gif

Yup, this is bullshit. I bought FF XV at launch and I feel like I was punished for doing so because I am not getting the definitive version of the game.

If S-E sees this as a model to be emulated, they can forget about me buying games at launch anymore. I'll wait a year and get the complete version instead.

Sounds good to me. I've found that I'm able to play more frequently and for longer times with the Switch thanks to how convenient it is to swap from TV to Handheld.

Excited for Square Enix to port as many games as possible, but I also hope we get some dedicated releases like Octopath Traveler, which looks good to me.

Kyzer

Banned
I dont mind real dlc but the game isnt even finished. Theyre like "people loved that we tried to fix the game in an update, so we will make sure to do it more often!"

Every FF from now on will be a disjointed open world with a story poorly told in loading screens. Combat will be good though

Shahed

The part that stands out for me here is how they understand that worldwide releases are better than staggered ones. Just like a late port will sell worse than a multiplatform release, late localisations are simiiar.

Koozek

Whoa, what's this? Do you have a link?
I didn't think of the leaked Wii U image that was posted above, but there have been other interesting remarks from SE in the last two years, lol:

Also this from last year:
Code:
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Ic21tyO.jpg[/IMG]

BELIEVE :p

I dont mind real dlc but the game isnt even finished. Theyre like "people loved that we tried to fix the game in an update, so we will make sure to do it more often!"

Every FF from now on will be a disjointed open world with a story poorly told in loading screens. Combat will be good though

He's not talking about that, he's talking about the Gladiolus DLC and the update that added that Moogle festival.

Shin-Ra

Games sell well over a long period of time if you release a good and polished product in the first place.

inner-G

Banned
I didn't think of the leaked Wii U image that was posted above, but there have been other interesting remarks from SE in the last two years, lol:

Code:

Dude, what!? Don't get my hopes up

V and VI would be amazing for remakes. Idk how I would feel about if they went all 3D with the graphics though or if I'd want them to make hi-res 2D games. I wasn't a huge fan of the chibi 3D FF III and IV on DS, I thought the way they did the PSP IV was way better.

TheTux

Let's not go too far now...

They didn't put much work in XIII-2... they did a few updates (maybe only one?!) but it's still an horrible port.

Ray Down

Banned

Code:

Belay !

MLH

That April fools Tactics Alexander game has me hankering for a new tactics game. Get Yasumi Matsuno back to direct and write it, Akihiko Yoshida to do art and portraits & Hitoshi Sakimoto on soundtrack.

I hope they're seriously considering one, there's been a noticeable lack of SE tactics games for this gen - had to stick with Tactics Ogre on PSP & FFTA2 on DS - it's been too long!

butalala

Code:

Wow! Let's go, E3 megatons! I didn't realize you meant that FF3!

Final Fantasy 12 Zodiac would have my interest. FF12 is one of two FF games I still enjoyed on a replay (6 being the only other). An improved version of 12 I would buy, if it came to a system I own, and that would be Switch.

Edit: I suppose I'd say the same for 6 (FF3 US) though I don't feel as much of a need for an improved version. I own the GBA release for that game.

Mortemis

Banned
I'd love some more jrpgs on the switch, portable gaming for rpgs are the best. Other than FFXV, which I don't think would be a good experience on the switch, bring it all over Square.

Spman2099

I am genuinely concerned that Square is taking the wrong messages away from FFXV. It was a good game in spite of being brutally disjointed and clearly unfinished. FFXV being a success should not be seen as encouragement to cobble together games that aren't quite finished and attempting to fix them through patches after the fact...

FFXV was a step in the right direction, Square, but I want you to actually give me a complete game with FFXVI.

The hate for XV is strong in this forum. Kind of funny in an ironic way for me now.

Code:

Oh yeah I remember this! Let's hope it comes to fruition!

duckroll

That April fools Tactics Alexander game has me hankering for a new tactics game. Get Yasumi Matsuno back to direct and write it, Akihiko Yoshida to do art and portraits & Hitoshi Sakimoto on soundtrack.

I hope they're seriously considering one, there's been a noticeable lack of SE tactics games for this gen - had to stick with Tactics Ogre on PSP & FFTA2 on DS - it's been too long!

I'm fairly sure the entire core development staff who worked on FFTA/TOLUCT/FFXII while Matsuno was still making those games, has been and continues to work on FFXIV as goblin slaves. Mostly in the UI division. So....

Top Bottom