• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix talks strong Switch support, mobile, using FF15 style updates more places

Genio88

Good to know that they're looking at Switch a lot for support, though i think that "more than Xbox" is because Switch will also get games that so far where 3DS and some time PSVita titles, like the Bravely Default serie which will "continue" on Switch with Project Octopath, Dragon Quest etc

Soph

Glad you're on board Square, wouldn't mind some PS2 FF remakes, even though I have the games they feel outdated and I could never play them.as of yet

PS1 and SNES FF's don't really have this problem for some reason.

Tonyx

This is not surprising.

While the Switch is doing pretty good Scorpio hasn't been launched yet.. and yet the hype seems to have died down already.

However, I fully expect them to monitor Scorpio launch and decide what to do. I am pretty sure they'll have a few projects on standby ready to capitalize on Scorpio's success, if it will happen.

Real talk. They're probably not actively making it as all effort goes to 3DS/PS4 version. It even makes sense as they couldn't have gotten Switch dev kits sooner than in middle of developmet.

A Switch delay does seem kinda likely doesn't it? I'd be a bit disappointed but as long is it comes west eventually I'll be happy.

It being UE4 should make porting a lot easier and quicker though, if Snake Pass is anything to go by.

DQ Builders on Switch needs to have happened yesterday.

Yeah seriously. And DQ Heroes 1+2 needs to come west too (though that may be more up to KT). I have a DQ problem...

Where is that Xbox One behind the windows picture?

windowskajrz.png

;)

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Not too surprising- I would say right now SE hands down has shown the most support for the Switch and the system is sold out all over Japan.

Prophane33

I don't believe that is news to anyone. The Switch has already outsold the XB1 in lifetime sales by a ridiculous amount (in Japan). While I'm sure there are plenty of Japanese developers putting a modicum of work into XB1 (as the market is still very alive in the West), there's no reason why a company that primarily makes JRPGs and hasn't put much support into the existing console would care to put resources into the upgraded version.

Also, while it's too early to tell if the Switch is going to be a success or failure, the mood around it certainly seems much more positive than the WiiU. The real story will be how sales and softward output are a year from now.

inner-G

Banned
Hopefully they won't take too long with Octopath Traveler!

Porting the 3DS Dragon Quests to Switch could curry them a lot of favor with hardcore gamers too, without a ton of new up-front investment/.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
The news I need to see is "More products close to day and date on PC." Nier's sales on PC should send a message loud and fucking clear.

The World Ends With Two?

Also, this kinda means all the Eidos stuff now, too, doesn't it? Tomb Raider, Hitman, Deus Ex, stuff like that.

Santar

Please, not more games where you're basically finishing the game over the next six months to a year after it's release Squeenix.

brinstar

I really hope they put the classic FFs on Switch in some fashion, I always felt like they were sorely missing on 3DS.

Just... not the mobile versions of 5 and 6, please....

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Seeing how Snake Pass compares to PS4 on UE4 and how many/all SE games are being made on UE4, I'd say Switch has a bright future with Japanese games.
I say a even better comparison would be the new tomb raider for xb1 and 360 and realize the switch is much stronger than that(360)

jonno394

I really hope they put the classic FFs on Switch in some fashion, I always felt like they were sorely missing on 3DS.

Just... not the mobile versions of 5 and 6, please....

I could see them release all nes/snes ff at retail like the seiken denetsu collection. Either two or 3 sets.

Waji

This is setting yourself up for disappointment.
Eh... not sure.
I'm not a big fan of KH and I'm just in wait and see stance for 7R so my heart is not talking instead of my brain and I still think it's not impossible for one or both to come. But I wouldn't say it's highly likely, just not as impossible as some would think.

Since it's a quite powerful handheld and depending on its success, it's really hard to know what will com and what won't.
I feel like we're in unknown territory right now.

Eh... not sure.
I'm not a big fan of KH and I'm just in wait and see stance for 7R so my heart is not talking instead of my brain and I still think it's not impossible for one or both to come. But I wouldn't say it's highly likely, just not as impossible as some would think.

Since it's a quite powerful handheld and depending on its success, it's really hard to know what will com and what won't.
I feel like we're in unknown territory right now.

The other thing is those are UE4 games I believe, and judging from what Sumo Digital was able to do in less than 4 months (more like 1-2 months) it should be nearly trivial for a company like SE to port their UE4 games to Switch.

Selling/manufacturing is another issue though from a RoI perspective. But just getting the ports ready should be very, very easy for these UE4 games.

Arkeband

Banned
Releasing with FF15 style updates in mind is fine for a game that is actually properly QA'd and doesn't require as much tender loving care as FFXV's main narrative still continues to require post-launch.

It's a shame that their takeaway is that fans find this practice acceptable, which is what will happen when people don't speak out against it strongly enough.

Waji

The other thing is those are UE4 games I believe, and judging from what Sumo Digital was able to do in less than 4 months (more like 1-2 months) it should be nearly trivial for a company like SE to port their UE4 games to Switch.

Selling/manufacturing is another issue though from a RoI perspective. But just getting the ports ready should be very, very easy for these UE4 games.
That's what I was thinking too.
But if any of these are possible port I'm sure Nintendo would be ready to help in a way or another. They need these third party that could make them look like Snes again.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Real talk. They're probably not actively making it as all effort goes to 3DS/PS4 version. It even makes sense as they couldn't have gotten Switch dev kits sooner than in middle of developmet.
DQ11 is straight up the 1st game ever announced for switch over a year ago or so

Top Bottom