• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix talks strong Switch support, mobile, using FF15 style updates more places

Looking forward to the announcement of Chocobo Racing Switch.

Wasn't there a 3DS game in development at one point?

Edit:
e3-2010-chocobo-racing-3ds-screens-20100615045438697-3238079.jpg
:(

There's some irony here.
You come into a thread where the Square CEO talks about porting games to Switch and you call the community port beggars for speculating what games these could be.

If there's hostility it's on both sides. This isn't the first time I've seen you complain about Switch owners.
Yes, i called out the same crowd when i faced similar hostility for suggesting someone to wait till december to get a switch.
How am i not even banned. /s
Its getting damningly hard to show interest in this console here without having a consistent urge to be excited for it.

expel

I didn't find "Planning to focus more on Switch than Scorpio" in the original interview....

guess it's this part

"直近で注目しているのは、やはりSwitchですね。立ち上がりは非常に良いと聞いていますので、大いに期待しています"

guess it's this part

"直近で注目しているのは、やはりSwitchですね。立ち上がりは非常に良いと聞いていますので、大いに期待しています"
Doesnt it say something like its sales are good and we have our eyes on it or something like that?
And where the scorpio diss?

killatopak

Nier would be cool if possible

nah.

NieR is actually pretty hardware intensive game much like how snakepass is but only more.

PS4 version is already 900p without AA. By comparing that to snakepass, Switch docked would be less than 720p and more like 540p something. Anything to optimize the game and allow it to not be a blurry mess would need severe overhaul.

Doesnt it say something like its sales are good and we have our eyes on it or something like that?

There is no diss, it's the inference that the Switch is the console that Square Enix will keep its eye on most besides the PS4. And this is the Japan SE side of things, not the Eidos and Crystal Dynamics side of SE, so it would make sense that they would have less of a focus on the Scorpio in a Japan-centric development.

expel

no...it says for now we're putting our attention on switch, i heard the initial sales for it is really good and we're really excited for its future... (not literal translation) huehuehue. There is no Scorpio diss, he was asked what is his company's plan for 2017...he just didn't mention it in his 2017 plan, he only mentioned it in the hardwares/techs that is releasing this year. Since Scorpio will be out on holiday 2017 it's kind of make sense why they don't have anything plan for it in 2017.
(guess the title is kinda clickbait)

Zedark

nah.

NieR is actually pretty hardware intensive game much like how snakepass is but only more.

PS4 version is already 900p without AA. By comparing that to snakepass, Switch docked would be less than 720p and more like 540p something. Anything to optimize the game and allow it to not be a blurry mess would need severe overhaul.
Snake Pass is 864p on PS4 vs. 675p on Switch, so direct comparison would put Switch at around 640p-650p. Not ideal, but not a monstrous difference or problem. The real problem comes when you factor in UE4: that engine supports fp16, and benefits from it can be seen in Snake pass for Switch and PS4 PRO, but the Nier engine likely doesn't, so the comparison skews downward, possibly towards 540p if no effects are sacrificed to a significant degree.

Portability of the Switch is going to help a lot RPGs and long open world games.
It also helps its easy to port games of much powerful consoles using thing like UE4

I sales for the switch continue to go up, Nintendo did the right thing.

Cerium

Oh yeah I want Life is Strange. Forgot about that one.

Bring me portable Life is Strange. And Season 2 whenever that's coming.

killatopak

Snake Pass is 864p on PS4 vs. 675p on Switch, so direct comparison would put Switch at around 640p-650p. Not ideal, but not a monstrous difference or problem. The real problem comes when you factor in UE4: that engine supports fp16, and benefits from it can be seen in Snake pass for Switch and PS4 PRO, but the Nier engine likely doesn't, so the comparison skews downward, possibly towards 540p if no effects are sacrificed to a significant degree.

I could see it work on Portable but not on Docked.

Maybe they could decrease fps to 30? I'm sure that would make it a lot easier to go 720p and above. Not sure how it would affect combat though. PC version scales very well and a similar hardware to PS4/PS4 Pro has the same performance but there's a method to decrease GI which doesn't affect the visuals too much but increases performance significantly. Maybe they could do that to a Switch version as well.

no...it says for now we're putting our attention on switch, i heard the initial sales for it is really good and we're really excited for its future... (not literal translation) huehuehue. There is no Scorpio diss, he was asked what is his company's plan for 2017...he just didn't mention it in his 2017 plan, he only mentioned it in the hardwares/techs that is releasing this year. Since Scorpio will be out on holiday 2017 it's kind of make sense why they don't have anything plan for it in 2017.
(guess the title is kinda clickbait)
The topic could've gone something like, SE CEO is excited for the switch.
The current one is unnecessarily and unintentionally trollish
From what i gather it's nothing about picking one over the other.
When asked about the future he listed some platforms and said switch had a good launch and we have our eyes on it. Thread has gone way offrails

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I'll take a new Chrono game, thanks.

If this was the case they would already be marketing the game in a worldwide basis.

I was half joking I know it's not likely but at the same time it doesn't even have a release date in Japan, plus DQ isn't a big title outside of Japan
so I doubt it'd get a big marketing push regardless.

I was half joking I know it's not likely but at the same time it doesn't even have a release date in Japan, plus DQ isn't a big title outside of Japan
so I doubt it'd get a big marketing push regardless.

Yeah, the marketing would never be like a new KH or FF in the west, but I think they'll push DQ XI a little more than in the past.

I don't think theyll market dq in the west as much as japan. But damn, in all the switch discussion i glanced over the real stuff.
Theres a tiny chance dq might have a ww release... Woah.

Yep, if anything the Switch part is the thing most non-news of this thread lol

Top Bottom