• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix to "aggressively" localize both existing and new Japanese mobile games

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
So Square Enix previously hinted they were bringing more Japanese mobile games to the West, but now we have a commitment that this is going to be a sizable number of titles.

I know a lot of people were bummed that they weren't doing this before, so you can now have more hope that their mobile games will actually come over.

squareenixmobilewest20u20.png

Q: Sales in the Games for Smart Devices/PC Browsers sub-segment rose by around ¥5bn between 3Q and 4Q
FY2017/3. Could you tell what role existing titles, new titles, and overseas sales played in that growth?

A: That sales growth owed to greater sales overseas of titles such as “FINAL FANTASY BRAVE EXVIUS” and “KINGDOM
HEARTS Union X," as well as to new titles such as “STAR OCEAN: anamnesis” and “DISSIDIA FINAL FANTASY: OPERA
OMNIA.” We want to ramp up our offering of Japanese titles to the North American market going forward.
Speaking from a geographic perspective, we had
previously struggled to make headway with our mobile
games in the North American market, but FY2017/3 saw
the success of such titles as “FINAL FANTASY BRAVE
EXVIUS.” We plan to aggressively roll out both catalog
and new titles to the Western markets going forward.

I also note that we exhibited at a game show in India for
the first time in FY2017/3. We are keeping close watch on
the Indian market as we see it as a potential source of
dynamism going forward.
This slide shows the key titles in our lineup in this space.
“BRAVELY DEFAULT: FAIRY’S EFFECT” was launched in
March, so we did not book any sales from it in FY2017/3,
but the title has been contributing to earnings since the
start of FY2018/3.

We intend to expand our earnings by continuing to
build up a solid lineup of titles like this.
Source: http://www.hd.square-enix.com/eng/news/pdf/17q4outline.pdf

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
So are we finally getting Grandmasters? Not that I really want to play it, but it is FFXI...

That one is doing pretty badly in Japan, so I suspect they would bring over Bravely Default instead, which is somewhat similar in concept, but more successful.

gun_haver

the names of these games are fucking bonkers now

dissidia final fantasy: opera omnia
bravely default: fairy's effect
kingdom hearts: Union X
final fantasy brave exvius
star ocean: anamnesis

what a line up

Santar

...What are they making that they aren't bringing over in the console/handheld space? Their arcade games and the Dragon Quest MMO?

Of the top of my head there's the two Dragon Quest Monsters 3DS games and the Secret of Mana Switch Collection but I'm sure there are more.

J-Spot

I wonder if they will maintain the Kingdom Hearts strategy of making the games objectively worse when launched overseas.

Top Bottom