• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix trademarked Deus Ex: Human Defiance [The film]

It is arrived. I hope this is sequel, not prequel.

tumblr_m0k1bz3OwO1qk9rjso1_500.gif

Why is this even happening...The game will be almost 2 years old if it's actually released on the WiiU. Surely they could have spent their money porting something more recent and not sure to bomb

Because then Eidos will be able to point their finger at a two year old port, and be able to say, "See? We supported the system, and it didn't sell, lol nintendo."

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
How big is Eidos Montreal, and how much of the Human Revolution team remains there? I ask because they've just wrapped up Tomb Raider's multiplayer, and I assume have been knee deep in Thief 4 as it went from late current gen to next gen. I assume the latter is their next big game.

Do they have the staff and teams to man two major projects at once? Or is the HR team handling Thief 4?

raven777

I bought this game back when Amazon had the SE bundle sale, but I haven't played the game yet.

I heard its a very good game, right?

Pooya

How big is Eidos Montreal, and how much of the Human Revolution team remains there? I ask because they've just wrapped up Tomb Raider's multiplayer, and I assume have been knee deep in Thief 4 as it went from late current gen to next gen. I assume the latter is their next big game.

Do they have the staff and teams to man two major projects at once? Or is the HR team handling Thief 4?

Thief 4 team was mostly separate from DXHR, that's what they said back then.

MEATfast

Banned
Oh fuck yes! More! Give me more!

I absolutely loved Human Revolution but it didn't do anything different for the series. It simply took the original Deus Ex and created a new game out of it. Nothing wrong with that but now that HR became a success, now is their chance to add more and expand. The Deus Ex style of gameplay has the potential to be so much more than what it already is.

I'm so fucking ready for this! Unless this is a remake. Either way, I'm okay with this.

Forkball

Don't kill me, but I wouldn't mind if they treated HR as a reboot and completely threw out the original's story. It would give the series a more flexible approach. They are kind of in a cumbersome situation where they have one really amazing game, then the prequel, and then the sequel that was so bad that no one wants to acknowledge it. You can only do so much between HR and DX.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

They have three teams and over 400 staff.

LinkedIn said:
after building, in just over 5 years, a world-class video game studio completely from scratch (+400 staff and counting, including 3 dev teams for major AAA games, top-notch environment office and technology, etc)

Edit:

Correction, over 450 staff.

LinkedIn said:
Built the Eidos-Montreal Studio to more than 450 employees making AAA videogames and currently expending Square-Enix Montreal Studio as well.

I am sorry, I love the Deus Ex series to death, but with a shitty sequel like IW, how the hell are they going to continue in this timeline? Deus Ex 1 was an amazing game and incredibly ambitious, even to this day there are hardly any games to match it in terms of depth and complexity of both the story and gameplay.

Then, we have Deus Ex Invisible War, a sequel so bad that it almost killed the franchise, it defines the words "Streamlined sequel" not only that, they ruined the universe by some really bad bullshit like for example not choosing a Canon ending form the original game but rather a combination of them happened! WTF?!

So here is my suggestion, retcoon IW and let it be forever forgotten.

Hiltz

If Square Enix is out to beat Batman: Arkham City for oldest Wii U port, then Square Enix is set the win this.

sn00zer

I am sorry, I love the Deus Ex series to death, but with a shitty sequel like IW, how the hell are they going to continue in this timeline? Deus Ex 1 was an amazing game and incredibly ambitious, even to this day there are hardly any games to match it in terms of depth and complexity of both the story and gameplay.

Then, we have Deus Ex Invisible War, a sequel so bad that it almost killed the franchise, it defines the words "Streamlined sequel" not only that, they ruined the universe by some really bad bullshit like for example not choosing a Canon ending form the original game but rather a combination of them happened! WTF?!

I assume they will keep delaying the timeline, until they are literally on top of the original Deus Ex timeline....im one of the few people who enjoyed DE:HR more than DE, due primarily to the setting and visual design....I have no doubt that Human Revolution 2 could trump the original...just open up the levels a little mre and your done

Ceebs

I thought they were going to be ruining Thief next before they drag this corpse back out?

/Absolutely hated DE:HR

Grief.exe

You can set this game just before the events of DX1.

Completely ignore IW for now, and deal with it later if this game is successful.

Buntabox

Don't kill me, but I wouldn't mind if they treated HR as a reboot and completely threw out the original's story. It would give the series a more flexible approach. They are kind of in a cumbersome situation where they have one really amazing game, then the prequel, and then the sequel that was so bad that no one wants to acknowledge it. You can only do so much between HR and DX.

Completely okay with this.

I loved HR and the original DE. But I worried from the moment I started up HR how knowing where they have to end up eventually could hurt the writing. Surprisingly it didn't because they just sort of did their own thing. Little things here and there. I just don't want it to feel like its written backwards because of what has to happen in DE.

I thought they were going to be ruining Thief next before they drag this corpse back out?

/Absolutely hated DE:HR

"Ruining Deus Ex" huh? Well Warren Spector already tried to do that with Invisible War, but thankfully Eidos Montreal was able to take all those broken parts and make it a commercial and critical success again.

my ideal sequel would be to deus ex 1 and forgetting IW ever happened.

I love Adam Jensen but I feel it would be a copout to bring him back after Human Revolution.

Either way I'm fucking hyped to play this.

Adam would be over 80 years old, have to have lived past at least one (probably 2) apocalyptic collapses of society (or three, if you count the Gray Death and economic collapse pre-DX1), and live in a world where's he's practically like a telegraph in a world of smartphones.

That actually sounds like an awesome premise.

Grief.exe

So one team for Thief 4, one for the next Deus Ex and the other team is doing what....?

They were doing Tomb Raider multiplayer.

"Ruining Deus Ex" huh? Well Warren Spector already tried to do that with Invisible War, but thankfully Eidos Montreal was able to take all those broken parts and make it a commercial and critical success again.

I would love to see a what happened with IW detective work akin to what happened to Aliens:CM

Would be an interesting read.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I liked the original Deus Ex a lot, but honestly, I liked Human Revolution a whole lot more.

I hope whatever they make is a direct sequel to HR and stars Adam Jensen. I also hope it's not set too far after the first game, too. They created a really, really appealing world and lore and I want them to follow it up. I wouldn't mind at all if they started treating its lore as completely separate from the first two Deus Ex games.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
sweeeeeet

Hope it's a sequel, and not just the Wii U port.

diamount

Banned
I think it would be poignant if the ending in HR was canon

the self-destruct ending even, that kinda shapes things up towards the original games, so that mean Adam is canonically dead

I think it would be poignant if the ending in HR was canon

the self-destruct ending even, that kinda shapes things up towards the original games, so that mean Adam is canonically dead

pretty much, that's why i want a new protagonist. a female one. let's go ghost in the shell on this bitch

edit: loved HR but there's no way in hell that i would put it above deus ex you heathens

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
1993 - Adam Jensen born.
2018 - Paul Denton born.
2027 - Events of Human Revolution occur.
2029 - JC Denton born.
XXXX - Statue of Liberty targeted in a terrorist strike. The Gray Death runs rampant. Social collapse.
2052 - Events of Deus Ex occur.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
wtf with all that WOW IT'S CERTAINLY FOR WIIU posts???

It's not a port, it's a sequel obviously because you don't port the game with changing its name drastically.

and yes, it won't come to wiiu as it's next-gen.

Top Bottom