• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix Trademarked 'Final Fantasy Dimensions'

But it isn't an FF game, why would SE call it BD in Japan when it's an FF title ? I don't get it.

Well, one, it is a Final Fantasy title: it's the sequel to Final Fantasy Gaiden and the FF in "Flying Fairy" is supposed to be a wink-wink-nudge-nudge reference to that. But for another, tacking the overarching series name on seems to be much more common in American branding compared to Japan -- just look at how every game in the extended Megaten family gets "Shin Megami Tensei" slapped on it in the US.

With this title in particular, Square-Enix certainly isn't going to call it "Bravely Default" in the US. They have to call it something and despite the overall brand dilution they've committed over the last ten years or so, a portable Final Fantasy title still should have more pull on the marketplace than a random Square-Enix RPG with a name that doesn't connect to anything.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
You say that as if they don't do ridiculous rebrands anymore.

http://www.sqex-ee.jp/

eeeyjpk.png

blur-racerzu3kpv.jpg

Oh, wow. I had absolutely forgotten about that Extreme Edges bullcrap. I always think of straight edges when I read it.

And that Blur rebrand is straight out of Ubisoft's animal care simulators line.

watershed

Banned
The dimensions bit immediately makes me think of the 3ds because of Dead or Alive: Dimensions. Whatever it is I hope its something new and not a compilation or remake.

Amir0x

Banned
I really do hope we get a FFVI remake at some point, so in the realm of insane predictions I'm just going to haphazardly pretend that's what this means

AniHawk

usually something like this means a giant crossover. so i'm guessing everyone's going to join together and prevent final fantasy vii from ever happening, saving the day once and for all.

DaBuddaDa

I really do hope we get a FFVI remake at some point, so in the realm of insane predictions I'm just going to haphazardly pretend that's what this means

On one hand I understand this sentiment, on the other hand, what about VI needs a remake? It's virtually perfect as is.

Lindbergh

usually something like this means a giant crossover. so i'm guessing everyone's going to join together and prevent final fantasy vii from ever happening, saving the day once and for all.

Naw man, naw.
Already read how Duodecim botched FFI's backstory. Well, at this point if it seems broken already, might as well break it further (referring to how FFX-2 leads to FFVII).

Amir0x

Banned
On one hand I understand this sentiment, on the other hand, what about VI needs a remake? It's virtually perfect as is.

most of the time remakes are never required, given the original is good enough. But FFIII immensely improved upon the awful original game, and FFIV had some neat new features that made it worth re-visiting - despite the mindfuckingly awful DS 3D.

At least with 3DS (or Vita) you won't get the grotesque 3D, so on top of new gameplay features we'd get decent on-the-go visuals. But more importantly... FFVI in particular can use a lot of gameplay retooling with its systems, to me it's one of the most ripe FF games requiring gameplay fixes other than FFII and FFIII. (I'm not counting FFVIII, which I consider essentially unfixable, and FFXIII, which I consider just an awful tangent down incompetence-ville).

Okay now that it is known the game originally started off as a FF title, this rebranding that was only filed in the US & Europe and not in Japan really gives us that feeling that it is the western name for Bravely Default. I'm all for it if it will help sell more copies...

Now how about some release dates, I want Theatrhythm, and this, and KH3D soon SE!

AniHawk

most of the time remakes are never required, given the original is good enough. But FFIII immensely improved upon the awful original game, and FFIV had some neat new features that made it worth re-visiting - despite the mindfuckingly awful DS 3D.

At least with 3DS (or Vita) you won't get the grotesque 3D, so on top of new gameplay features we'd get decent on-the-go visuals. But more importantly... FFVI in particular can use a lot of gameplay retooling with its systems, to me it's one of the most ripe FF games requiring gameplay fixes other than FFII and FFIII. (I'm not counting FFVIII, which I consider essentially unfixable, and FFXIII, which I consider just an awful tangent down incompetence-ville).

if they were to do this, i think it would look a lot like bravely default. i think remakes will become rarer as hardware power increases.

plus, they didn't even remake final fantasy v yet, so

if they were to do this, i think it would look a lot like bravely default. i think remakes will become rarer as hardware power increases.

This thread reminds me that Bravely Default looks way too good to be coming from modern Square.

Lindbergh

It did, but dang, the original is not that bad. Sure by modern standards it's slow and brutal (yet less brutal than FFII), but the game is still enjoyable.

Amir0x

Banned
It did, but dang, the original is not that bad. Sure by modern standards it's slow and brutal (yet less brutal than FFII), but the game is still enjoyable.

It's just my opinion but I really had no patience for the garbage balance and awful speed of the game. It was essentially broken as far as I was concerned. It has always been my second least favorite FF behind FFII; but at least FFIII DS was playable in some form.

Man looking like Bravely Default would be amazing though. That game has some style to it.

Obviously FFVre would come first, although that definitely is the FF least requiring a remake.

watershed

Banned
Final Fantasy Dimensions sounds to modern too be the English name for Bravely Default, could it be the English name for that FF music mash-up game? That thing has tons of crossovers and stuff that might fit the 'Dimensions' label.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Gonna have to go with the "FFD = Bravely Default" crowd. Makes sense.

While FFXIII-2 dealt with time, FFXIII-3, also known as Dimensions, will deal with the aspect of space.
Gosh, sounds like Sonic Generations and Sonic Dimensions all over again.

wrowa

Well, one, it is a Final Fantasy title: it's the sequel to Final Fantasy Gaiden and the FF in "Flying Fairy" is supposed to be a wink-wink-nudge-nudge reference to that.
I'm not arguing with your general statement, however this part simply isn't true. SE didn't name it Final Fantasy on purpose, and they never called it a sequel to FF Gaiden either. It obviously is a spiritual successor to the game in question, but that doesn't make it a Final Fantasy game. It's intentionally not part of the franchise.

You say that as if they don't do ridiculous rebrands anymore.

http://www.sqex-ee.jp/

eeeyjpk.png

blur-racerzu3kpv.jpg

That comparison would only fly if they changed Blur's name to GTA Racerz in Japan. :p

First GAF Post, YEAHHH!

A title like " Final Fantasy Dimensions" would leave me to believe that this is going to be another mashup of the various FF games. Maybe even a successor series to the Dissidia games, except for 3DS (which would be fine by me, as long as proper Wi-fi is added this time)

I dont honestly see Square Enix announcing any major Vita titles, outside of whats already been announced, for quite some time. IIRC they were slow to get on board with the PSP, and I'm sure committing precious resources to Vita development this early in the cycle would be a pretty risky endeavor for a company that still hasnt released stuff announced 6 years ago..

GDGF

Soothsayer
Oh shit.

Here it comes.

FF: CC spinoff I'm guessing with each player being in a separate dimension, co-operating in some way to drive off the miasma once and for all. Perhaps each dimension is the same world, but in different time periods.

For 3DS of course.

Goody

Wouldn't be surprised to be a catch all trademark for 3DS Final Fantasy remakes, similar to the Final Fantasy Advance thing they had going for the GBA.

1+2, then 5, then 6.

Tamanon

Banned
Kingdom Hearts style FF game, with travel between multiple worlds. Could be pretty amazing if it showed a lot of the worlds after the end of the game.

Wouldn't be surprised if it's Bravely Default (but wouldn't they fit the 4HoL subtitle in somewhere?), but I wouldn't mind if it was for an enhanced Dissidia 012 Dodecahedron port for 3DS since I passed on it the first time.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Am I the only one who wants a sequel to The Crystal Bearers?

(Probably.)

Boy, was that game mishandled.
I gave it to a casual gaming friend of mine, and he LOVED it.
Simple to play, interesting characters, a gameplay mechanic based entirely around causing mischief and tossing shit. Good times.

Amir0x

Banned
I want an actual sequel to Crystal Chronicles on GC. With bucket bitch and everything. Crystal Bearers was an abomination of epic proportions. Virtually every mechanic was awful in every way.

Ravidrath

They haven't announced that they're localizing it at all (though I wouldn't lose much sleep over it).

Yeah, then my guess is that this is the title for Bravely Default.

I'm guessing they think that Four Warriors of Light didn't sell well because it wasn't called Final Fantasy, and the "Dimensions" is the obvious depth-pandering.

Top Bottom