• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix trying to port full version of FF15 to Switch, maybe via UE4

SE creating exclusives for Switch and literally tellnig everyone they are working on a possible FF15 port to Switch and Capcom over here literally doing nothing with the system besides Rev 1/2 port. Hell every big name JPN publisher seems to be doing something with the Switch except for Capcom.

Durante

We've all seen how scalable UE4 is, it's one of it's major selling points. Why in your opinion is the FFXV engine not as scalable considering it's a modern engine? Did Square just plan Luminous for the most powerful hardware (which is why PS4/XB1 hardware power shocked them and why FFXV doesn't run too hot on them) or was it just a huge oversight on their part?
When you ask "why is engine X not as good at Z as UE4" then the answer is most likely that UE4 had far more man-hours specifically dedicated to engine development put into it (many of them by extremely experienced engine developers).

[And of course, often its not even so much about the engine but also about the tools built around it, as well as the documentation and support. How many technical writers and support staff just for the engine do you think Epic employs compared to any company whose primary business isn't selling an engine?]

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Porting the game to UE4 would be a ton of work, so I doubt they'd do it for this game alone. However, if they want to create some sort of conversion pipeline that allows them to import stuff from that engine more easily, then perhaps it's a cool idea for their future games. Makes me wonder why they bothered creating the Luminous engine in the first place though, as UE4 is supported on all platforms.

I think the only way they would ever actually do this is if they were switching to UE4 wholesale, and they just used various technologies from Luminous as plugins for UE4.

Their technical staff could then work on UE4 more generally and support new technologies for most of their major projects instead of just Business Division 2's console games.

i guess? it ran extremely poorly on PS4 even but it's a big title so i suppose it's worth taking a look at

I hate GAF hyperbole sometimes.

Get out of here with that bullshit. FFXV didnt ran at 60FPS but it also objectively did not ran "extremely poorly" on PS4.

Scrawnton

Square is doing way more than Crapcom.
They are but they're still being shady about DQ11. PS4 just got FF9 pc port and the whole Secret of Mana remake ordeal. It's cool to see them talk about trying to port ff15 to it, but there are some delicious low hanging fruit they're ignoring.

The irony of Square willing to roll-up their sleeves to put FF into a small cart isn't lost.

LOL!

Although being fair Square leaving Nintendo in the 90s was way more than just cartridge sizes. It was also the cost of producing them and Nintendo being assholes with third parties back then. But you already knew this.

EhoaVash

It's been implied there's some lasting console exclusivity agreement for the PS1 and PS2 games (bar XI). Maybe Sony more directly funded them or something.

This exclusivity likely wouldn't apply to full remakes like VIIR though. It is too bad though, I think IX on Switch would've sold particularly well.

That's lame :/

Here's to FF7Remake switch the lol

Theres a good opportunity everywhere, thats not the point im making. Im saying xv didnt bomb on the userbase it had, so lowering base specs is not something id willingly go for just to appeal to more people. Im fully aware how much everyone wants everything to come to switch and every console to turn into the switch but i like to think their markets can still coexist while catering to slightly different needs without compromising on the other.

And screw it, im done trying to have a normal conversation with nintendo fans. Every time i try, im met with the same toxic hostility because im not drooling over everything nintendo does.
And yeah, obviously i dont want games to come to a console i bought in its second month and still do have it. Im just retarded like that. You totally have it figured out.

First, nobody asked you for your thoughts about their games. You're allowed to play Nintendo's games, and decide that you don't like them, or be critical of them, or love them, or be indifferent. You have a right to your preference, and nobody has sought to take your preference away from you. However, you're in the wrong here, and you haven't endeared yourself to anybody by tarring Nintendo fans with the same brush - We're a very broad and diverse church. You haven't engaged in a "normal" conversation... at all, and that much is apparent from the tone of your post.

"Everyone wants every console to turn into the Switch", REALLY? No. People like to and should have more options when deciding how and when they want to play, and being able to take games on the move is important because TIME is currency there. Not being confined to four walls and a TV set is liberating - There's an understandable appeal for people of a certain age, or people with disabilities, or anybody trying to keep up with an ever faster-living world. Excuse Switch owners for wanting to take advantage of the options available to them, or wanting more games to play on their platform of choice!!

BTW, on "scale", I wouldn't worry there. The Switch hosts LOZ: Breath Of The Wild unoptimised, and the size, verticality, physics-driven gameplay and seamlessness of that open-world are truly something else. Like Xenoblade Chronicles X on the Wii U (a less powerful system), It's bigger than several open-world titles combined, and not only could they fit on their media, both were achieved without development costs escalating to unsustainable levels, let alone those seen with Final Fantasy XV. I can't begin to imagine what is possible for the next LOZ and other ambitious titles built from-the-ground-up for the Switch.

If you're THAT hung up on performance, you would forget consoles and use a high-end PC. Unless you're doing that exclusively, your posts are just drawing arbitrary lines under your favourite systems (ignorant of the fact that even PC versions have to be scalable, often targeting a level of performance lower than consoles), and saying "THIS is the minimum level", so as to exclude Nintendo fans from the conversation. It's console-warrior, gatekeeping BS, when the games in question are often, if not primarily non-exclusive, and when it's the same principle behind that of Diversity & Inclusion; Nintendo fans/Switch owners are simply asking to be included, and if that offends you, then it says more about you as a person than those asking if they can play, too. Apart from the asinine assumption that pushing graphical capabilities is a priority for all development houses and publishers, the idea that a Switch version would make other versions "less" is one that should be rejected. Looking closer to home, Fire Emblem Warriors can co-exist on Switch and New 3DS. Multiple titles co-exist on the PS4 and Vita, too, and it's not the big deal that some people want it to be. You might see more pores on a face during a cinematic scene, but you're not losing a thing in terms of actual gameplay. Stop this.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Seems odd how vocal they are in a process that may not even hit the ground.

Like, if they can achieve it, wait until then to announce the project. I understand this sort of conversation with smaller indie projects, but a AAA publisher?

If they can do it, awesome. If not, bummer. Until then... we wait I suppose.

They have nothing to announce yet but they are being vocal about the system because it can be a big money maker for them in the future

It also keeps FFXV in the news in addition to their DLC plans, PC and mobile versions.... They don't want people to stop talking about the game.

Meowster

That is pretty awesome of them if they are able to pull it off.

More developers should do the same if too much isn't sacrificed.

That's lame :/

Here's to FF7Remake switch the lol

Don't be surprised if Sony drops some money to keep VII:R a PS4/PS5/PC thing. It's such a big part of the 'PlayStation' identity.

Also don't be surprised if S-E spends millions upon millions developing FFVII:R and wants to to sell on as many platforms as possible. :p

Could go either way.

See how long it took to develop UE4.

Of course they're not abandoning the engine, they specifically said that the next project will be using it. And I imagine that quote means they are going to see what UE4 does so it runs on Switch and implement that tech to Luminous.

Yup, it's a possibility. UE 4 didn't run too well on Switch, until it was optimized for it, so Epic would at least have good advice for SE if they try to optimize Luminous for Switch.

SE creating exclusives for Switch and literally tellnig everyone they are working on a possible FF15 port to Switch and Capcom over here literally doing nothing with the system besides Rev 1/2 port. Hell every big name JPN publisher seems to be doing something with the Switch except for Capcom.

We don't know what Capcom is doing behind closed doors.

Koozek

7iDmZAa.gif

Koozek

See how long it took to develop UE4.

Of course they're not abandoning the engine, they specifically said that the next project will be using it. And I imagine that quote means they are going to see what UE4 does so it runs on Switch and implement that tech to Luminous.

Yup, it's a possibility. UE 4 didn't run too well on Switch, until it was optimized for it, so Epic would at least have good advice for SE if they try to optimize Luminous for Switch.
Yeah, actually my first thought was that he meant they're asking for advice and share tech, not that they port the whole game to UE4, lol. That'd be a huge task.

DVCY201

I honestly think KH might be a better fit. You could get the HD collections going, then start porting 3 as it develops. I think the scope might be easier to handle than FFXV

Lumyst

Played through the main story and only dabbled a few times in sidequests. I would definitely love to get it portably and really dive deeper into the open world content, I barely scratched the surface of the stuff and moved on after finishing the main story.

TDLink

Did you forget about the hypothetical Monster Hunter game for the Switch.

???

World is the next mainline Monster Hunter and the Switch isn't getting it. XX came out, but it's not going to come west.

It's fair to say Capcom is not supporting the Switch very much. They are throwing it Rev 1 and 2, but they are not doing a switch version of all of their other upcoming/extremely recent games, including:

• Marvel Vs Capcom: Infinite
  • Dragon's Dogma
  • Okami HD
  • Resident Evil VII
  • Monster Hunter World

The first three especially seem like they'd be easy to port. And if FF15 can happen, then with some effort Capcom could make the last two work for the system as well.

But they're not going to.

Nohar

*eyebrow rising*

Didn't expect that. I would be way more interested by a KH3 port to be honest. Oh well, let's say how it goes.

I said since the beginning Kingdom Hearts had the highest chance of coming to Switch. It won't be a surprise to me if it comes.

BigEmil

UE4 is more optimised for Nvidia archtecture (which is present in Switch hardware) so this should work

This has to show Square is fully on board with the Switch now. They seemed pretty good on the Switch without seeing the success of it and if they're willing to try to do this to get FFXV on the Switch, then it tells you how they feel about the Switch now.

Salvadora

On the one hand, porting a game of this magnitude to an entirely different engine would be a massive undertaking (larger than the complete development of many smaller games I'd say).

On the other hand, on the basis of UE4 they can probably port it to dozens of future platforms over the next decade without too much additional effort :p
This is the only way I could see it happening.

It seems like an incredible amount of work for a (relatively) low amount of return unless the intention is to release it on every future platform known to man.

To be fair... Porting to UE4 is probably the best thing for them when the next gen systems eventually roll around for a quick port. Square isn't going to be porting Luminous to next gen systems, it's more or less a dead end and they know it.

I'm getting tired of hearing about companies planning Switch support though. Square and Capcom both need to put their money where their mouth is.

Well, they are doing Octopath Traveler which actually seems like a way better game (to me). I know it's not an AAA game, but it's not like they aren't doing anything.

LordKasual

Banned
Late ass ports only make sense when the game has legs.

Has FFXV those?

Guess so. Although even if not, this actually makes perfect business sense. Nintendo actually seriously advertised Skyrim Remastered for a 2017 console release. Many of its biggest sellers are basically ports/upgrades of older games.

There's no game on the scale of FFXV on Nintendo Switch, it's a portable console, and it has alot of steam at the moment.

FFXV on the Switch is them practically reaching an entire new audience who likely would have never experienced the game otherwise.

XV is going to be a hardware pusher and visual showcase no matter what console it's on. Just like with the PC version, i can see a ton of purchases essentially boiling down to "It looks neat, why not".

Astral Dog

This may have been true in the past but Japanese developers have been branching out into PC ports a lot more often these days.

But the bigger reason why this concern is really unwarranted is because the majority of big Japanese games are now using UE4, which is one of the more scaleable engines there is. Why would FF7 and KH3 have to be toned down to allow for a Switch port when we already know how scaleable UE4 is and how easy it is for the Switch to run UE4 games?

Did it? I'd be interested in seeing some examples, but even so you're talking exclusives versus multiplats, where exclusives targeted for a single platform will always be more optimized for that platforms, especially back in the day when all three consoles were so different. Nowadays this matters a lot less because the GPU features are basically the same on every console.

Also while the raw power gap is definitely bigger for Switch and PS4, I don't know if it's that much bigger relatively speaking. But that's a subjective issue I guess.
Running the Engine and running the game are two vastly different things

I seriously doubt they're going to stick with Luminous considering most of their other games are UE4. They all but admitted defeat that Luminous was a failure.

Square is doing way more than Crapcom.

Define way more. The shade that Switch owners on this site throw at Capcom is insane, when they're no worse than most big publishers save for maybe Bethesda and Square Enix. The support will come. Capcom is not an edge case.

???

World is the next mainline Monster Hunter and the Switch isn't getting it. XX came out, but it's not going to come west.

It's fair to say Capcom is not supporting the Switch very much. They are throwing it Rev 1 and 2, but they are not doing a switch version of all of their other upcoming/extremely recent games, including:

• Marvel Vs Capcom: Infinite
  • Dragon's Dogma
  • Okami HD
  • Resident Evil VII
  • Monster Hunter World

The first three especially seem like they'd be easy to port. And if FF15 can happen, then with some effort Capcom could make the last two work for the system as well.

But they're not going to.

Yes, but Switch will no doubt get it's own 5th Generation game. It's all hands on deck at Capcom for World's launch, but they're not so stupid that they'd completely abandon their home market. Patience. The Switch is barely 6 months old. It's just unfortunate that the Switch released so close to the announcement of the next big MH game, so news on what's coming after that won't be ready to share for a while.

TDLink

Define way more. The shade that Switch owners on this site throw at Capcom is insane, when they're no worse than most big publishers save for maybe Bethesda and Square Enix. The support will come. Capcom is not an edge case.

It's more clear with Capcom considering they're re-releasing games on newer hardware that came out on past system weaker than the Switch, and yet the Switch still isn't getting them.

If you compare it with other AAA games like Ass Creed Origins or SW BF2, there's clearly more technical limitations that come into play. But there's nothing actually stopping Okami or Dragon's Dogma releasing on Switch other than Capcom.

Yes, but Switch will no doubt get it's own 5th Generation game. It's all hands on deck at Capcom for World's launch, but they're not so stupid that they'd completely abandon their home market. Patience. The Switch is barely 6 months old. It's just unfortunate that the Switch released so close to the announcement of the next big MH game, so news on what's coming after that won't be ready to share for a while.
I'm not so sure. Capcom has made it clear that World -is- Monster Hunter 5. They're just not calling it 5 because they don't want to alienate potential newcomers to the series by thinking they need to have invested in 4 prior games.

Top Bottom