• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix trying to port full version of FF15 to Switch, maybe via UE4

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
On the one hand, porting a game of this magnitude to an entirely different engine would be a massive undertaking (larger than the complete development of many smaller games I'd say).

On the other hand, on the basis of UE4 they can probably port it to dozens of future platforms over the next decade without too much additional effort :p

We've all seen how scalable UE4 is, it's one of it's major selling points. Why in your opinion is the FFXV engine not as scalable considering it's a modern engine? Did Square just plan Luminous for the most powerful hardware (which is why PS4/XB1 hardware power shocked them and why FFXV doesn't run too hot on them) or was it just a huge oversight on their part?

Wamb0wneD

I'd rather they'd try the VII remake. that's already in UE4 no? Why go through all that hassle and using resources on a game that is already out instead of trying to make a game that's highly anticipated and not out yet work.. I don't get it. Almost Capcom levels of reasoning.

MoonFrog

So strange but really good on Square. This and the pocket edition show they do care that they've hurt their domestic audience chasing high production values and the west.

This is an interesting concept. When rumors swirled around the time of the mobile game announcement, I mentioned that porting the game whole sale with the luminous engine wasn't really a realistic expectation due to the numerous reports of its difficulty. I also mentioned that it is a safe bet that Square would be using UE going forward because of its noted simplicity (reportedly obviously I have no hands on experience with both of them) and I noted that the writing was on the wall with the KH3 shift to UE.

I find it hard to imagine that there is a business case for the development time and costs figuring out how to port luminous to UE since I don't imagine it being used going forward. In my opinion they had to ship at least one game to justify the sunk costs and stock holders. It seem to me that they are experimenting with a port to see if porting XV is worth the costs versus return on investment. They could also be using existing assets to see what a game made with UE would look like graphically if maximized to Switch strengths. Or maybe Nintendo is collaborating heavily to offset costs with a full port to offset costs.

I know Switch is doing well in Japan but the install base is still relatively small but this also doesn't seem like it is in full development yet. Perhaps SE is planning on a definitive edition with all DLC and a Switch port launch at the same time further in the future. I really don't see it selling really well right now as a stand alone release seeing is that it is already a year old and most word of mouth was middling though I enjoyed it. A full new Definitive Edition release at some point launched along side PS4 and Xbox releases would make the most sense. Though in my mind focusing on a product that already is in UE and thus requires no porting and just scaling down like Kingdon Hearts and will have more advertising dollars thrown at it would make most sense. In the end they would know best, what their returns should be. The difficulty of luminous plus an already old product is a hard sale in my book.

Koozek

This is an interesting concept. When rumors swirled around the time of the mobile game announcement, I mentioned that porting the game whole sale with the luminous engine wasn't really a realistic expectation due to the numerous reports of its difficulty. I also mentioned that it is a safe bet that Square would be using UE going forward because of its noted simplicity (reportedly obviously I have no hands on experience with both of them) and I noted that the writing was on the wall with the KH3 shift to UE.

I find it hard to imagine that there is a business case for the development time and costs figuring out how to port luminous to UE since I don't imagine it being used going forward. In my opinion they had to ship at least one game to justify the sunk costs and stock holders. It seem to me that they are experimenting with a port to see if porting XV is worth the costs versus return on investment. They could also be using existing assets to see what a game made with UE would look like graphically if maximized to Switch strengths. Or maybe Nintendo is collaborating heavily to offset costs with a full port to offset costs.

I know Switch is doing well in Japan but the install base is still relatively small but this also doesn't seem like it is in full development yet. Perhaps SE is planning on a definitive edition with all DLC and a Switch port launch at the same time further in the future. I really don't see it selling really well right now as a stand alone release seeing is that it is already a year old and most word of mouth was middling though I enjoyed it. A full new Definitive Edition release at some point launched along side PS4 and Xbox releases would make the most sense. Though in my mind focusing on a product that already is in UE and thus requires no porting and just scaling down like Kingdon Hearts and will have more advertising dollars thrown at it would make most sense. In the end they would know best, what their returns should be. The difficulty of luminous plus an already old product is a hard sale in my book.
From last week:

FinalAres

Between KH3 and Octopath Traveler, they're really getting into UE4 development, huh?

Pretty much because FFXIII and FFXIV 1.0 were crippled with engine development issues, and KH3 and Versus XIII were also held up because of engine woes.

Basically Square Enix have just realised that other people make better engines than them.

EDIT: Luckily they seem to have a pretty good next-gen engine in Luminous!

Zil33184

The thing people always forget when saying this is that Switch uses Nvidia hardware not AMD and on top of that it uses the new Nintendo customised variant of the Vulkan API which is famous for pulling out much better results from lower powered hardware.

Vulkan wouldn't confer any special advantage over the other console APIs, especially when compared to PS4 which is as low level as you can get.

Also perf/watt comparisons between AMD and Nvidia on PC are representative of workloads where neither architecture recieves specific low level optimisation, unless provided by either Nvidia or AMD themselves. Consoles are a different case.

Red Devil

I wonder what this means for the future of Final Fantasy, like an eventual FFXVI or is that still several years away and FFVIIR will suffice to entertain the masses in the meantime?

So they are willing to recode the entire game in the Unreal Engine just to put the game out on the Switch?

Would it even be worth it?

I guess it's more like a future proof test rather than that they'll try to release FFXV on Switch.

Twookie

FFXVI isn't going to be out for a looooong time I see

I'm super excited about all the attention the Switch is getting from devs

I'd rather they find a way to get kh3 and ff7.

Unless those are coming to pc. Then i don't care.

BD2 isn't working on those games so they cannot do much about that

Wasn't there a rumour floating around that FF7r was coming to Switch? Didn't believe it at first but it seems more plausible now. Wouldn't say no to that!

Fiendcode

I'd rather they find a way to get kh3 and ff7.

Unless those are coming to pc. Then i don't care.
Then you better hope BD1 and BD3 are investigating their Switch options as hard as BD2 is. At least they're already on viable engines though.

Personally I don't really care about any of the 3. I'd rather portbeg FFXIV (BD5) or Nier Automata (BD6/Platinum). Or localization beg that Mana Collection (BD10/M2).

Expecting a 2025 release on that one considering they're going to run the FF7 milktrain for awhile...again.

Only way I could see it sooner would be if they had Acquire develop it after Octopath Traveler using the same art style they are using for that game. Which I would be all for.

CGwizz

They are milking every thing they can with this game, port to UE, port to mobiles , create a multiplayer mode no one cares, creating shit mobile spinoffs full microtransations style...

Sick of listening about this game, not even in 15 years we will see ff16.

Byvar

Porting the game to UE4 would be a ton of work, so I doubt they'd do it for this game alone. However, if they want to create some sort of conversion pipeline that allows them to import stuff from that engine more easily, then perhaps it's a cool idea for their future games. Makes me wonder why they bothered creating the Luminous engine in the first place though, as UE4 is supported on all platforms.

Nategc20

Banned
Honest to God I could see Square porting almost all the modern Final Fantasy franchises to the Switch if FFXV is at least getting attempted. Like I can see ff14 cloud, final fantasy 13 trashlogy, ff12, FFX/X2, and absolutely the next iteration of Final fantasy tactics getting release on the thing.

VariantX

Given how the switch is pushing 40-50k units per week right now in Japan I can't blame them for trying to find a way. It's got far higher software sales potential for them in Japan than the PS4 if the hardware keeps selling like it is.

Good, I would double dip

I hope if they do it is some sort of complete version, even with the plot patches

And also pleas ebring other FF titles!

I would love FFXIII saga

LCGeek

formerly sane
Vulkan wouldn't confer any special advantage over the other console APIs, especially when compared to PS4 which is as low level as you can get.

Also perf/watt comparisons between AMD and Nvidia on PC are representative of workloads where neither architecture recieves specific low level optimisation, unless provided by either Nvidia or AMD themselves. Consoles are a different case.

It certainly would offer advantages over nintendo using opengl variant again which can't compete with DX11 or what PS4 uses. I think DX11 sucks compared to anything low level, only reason it's good is it lets bad development habits off the hook instead of hoping someone can utilize the api.

It's not always about advantages sometimes just being able to provide a standard that people are familiar with is more important.

Pinky

Banned
ffxv.jpg

ika

So they are willing to recode the entire game in the Unreal Engine just to put the game out on the Switch?

Would it even be worth it?
Of course. In the future S-E will want to remaster/re-release this game to a future platform and they'll need to do that huge task no matter what. So doing it now will future-proof the game and if, in the process, they can earn some money from Switch users, the better to them.

Smeags

Seems odd how vocal they are in a process that may not even hit the ground.

Like, if they can achieve it, wait until then to announce the project. I understand this sort of conversation with smaller indie projects, but a AAA publisher?

If they can do it, awesome. If not, bummer. Until then... we wait I suppose.

EhoaVash

It's cool that they're trying to get FFXV on switch but what I don't get is why square enix isn't porting over the older FF games to switch like how they do on PS4

Why isn't FF7 on switch/ a Nintendo platform yet yet??? But it's on ps4 PC everything else

Why is new release of FF9 ps4 exclusive? What's stopping it from coming to switch ????

You think with cloud being in Smash 4, ff7 would finally be released on a Nintendo system .....but nope still nothing lol

Fiendcode

It's cool that they're trying to get FFXV on switch but what I don't get is why square enix isn't porting over the older FF games to switch like how they do on PS4

Why isn't FF7 on switch/ a Nintendo platform yet yet??? But it's on ps4 PC everything else

Why is new release of FF9 ps4 exclusive? What's stopping it from coming to switch ????

You think with cloud being in Smash 4, ff7 would finally be released on a Nintendo system .....but nope still nothing lol
It's been implied there's some lasting console exclusivity agreement for the PS1 and PS2 games (bar XI). Maybe Sony more directly funded them or something.

This exclusivity likely wouldn't apply to full remakes like VIIR though. It is too bad though, I think IX on Switch would've sold particularly well.

balgajo

As a software developer this kind of port seems to be a massive work. I hope that the engine doesn't have some custom animations format and the game logic wasn't developed using some script language. If I remember well there was a video about Luminous and it seemed to me that they had something like Unreal blueprints for writing game's logic. At least they will probably reuse the shaders and some other GPU stuff.

Yagami_Sama

That's good to hear. I hope that Nintendo / Epic / Square works together to bring Final Fantasy XV on Switch. It would be quite de milestone.

bionic77

Its amazing how everything is suddenly possible to port once they think they can money on it.

The question is not if they can port it, but how good the port will be. Anyone who grew up in the 80s remembers some garbage ass ports that barely resembled the original games.

Shin-Ra

Square-Enix's standards are pretty low for technical and artistic polish in Final Fantasy releases these days.

Top Bottom