• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square-Enix trying to sell off IO Interactive (Hitman)

Javier23

Banned
That is not the point, the guy is tasked to kill a target. How you do it is up to the player. Rank is not story. It's like getting cops after you in GTA with 5 stars for being an obvious killer. You score by killing your target based on the choices you made. The rank is just to give people a shot at picking up points on leaderboards. Nothing more.
That's why Hitman 2 Silent Assassin introduced the Silent Assasin rank which consists of... being a silent assassin, and not kill anyone but the target. Because, you know, 47 is a silent assassin... Like the title says.

Also: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkrUJJgQAaY

Gearless

Neo Member
Canonically, all of Hitman's missions are Silent Assassin rankings. This means, per the developer, the goal is for players to play the game with this goal as the "real" way of playing.

Keep pivoting tho. It's fun.

He's not pivoting tho, he's telling the truth. It's just that we can't comprehend his wisdom.

That is not the point, the guy is tasked to kill a target. How you do it is up to the player. Rank is not story. It's like getting cops after you in GTA with 5 stars for being an obvious killer. You score by killing your target based on the choices you made. The rank is just to give people a shot at picking up points on leaderboards. Nothing more.

So what you're saying is that you're shit at the game and murder everyone for funsies then? Because there's a lot of choice around killing the target, and only the target.

You're being painfully, needlessly obtuse in your effort to prove that you're right. The game doesn't reward you for collateral damage, it rewards you for being silent, and the plotline of every game relies on 47 being a Silent Assassin, getting in, doing the job, and getting out without being detected.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
It's a game that sells on shock value. It's basically Man Hunt.

Err what? No.

lol no

also it's considered canon that Agent 47 doesn't do collateral kills, always going for the SA rank.

Arguing with gafneo is like talking to a wall guys. It's a lesson more need to learn.

Ah I see.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I'd say Sony should snatch them up but not sure they really need to take on anymore new studios even talented ones. Maybe MS but I worry with how they've been treating their other studios.

Akronis

I'd say Sony should snatch them up but not sure they really need to take on anymore new studios even talented ones. Maybe MS but I worry with how they've been treating their other studios.

Again, please no. I don't want the next season of Hitman to be PS4 exclusive.

gafneo

Banned
Bruh the only person who is void of understanding is you. You literally get punished for killing non-targets.

Why the hell are you even bringing the movie into this? What does that have to do with any of the games?
Let me help you get out of the void, movie was non-stop action flick. People refuse to see that Hitman is not just a single genre. It is sandbox. It's about playing as a trained killer. It's not just about rank, beasting. If they didn't intend on people killing and take guards outfits, then it wouldn't be a major part of the game. Disagree, that's your problem for failing to see anyone else's pov than your own.

Err what? No.

lol no

also it's considered canon that Agent 47 doesn't do collateral kills, always going for the SA rank.

Sit back and relax. I'm really curious to see how far he goes backing his "it's basically Manhunt" statement.

Astonishing.

Let me help you get out of the void, movie was non-stop action flick. People refuse to see that Hitman is not just a single genre. It is sandbox. It's about playing as a trained killer. It's not just about rank, beasting. If they didn't intend on people killing and take guards outfits, then it wouldn't be a major part of the game. Disagree, that's your problem for failing to see anyone else's pov than your own.

Nobody is failing to see your point of view. They are just shocked by how wrong it is.

Can you link this?

When you say Tomb Raider has done pretty well across the board, don't forget that -despite strong sales- the original reboot was considered by Square-Enix to have greatly undersold (they wanted 6 million copies sold in the first couple months or something?) and let's not even talk about the Microsoft deal which totally neutered the sequel's chance at substantially growing their player base and led to the game under-performing again.

Par for the course with Square-Enix the third party publisher.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVbj4GuuZTA

How could I forget? I'm just stating that it hasn't felt yet like TR is getting put on ice the same way DX was, I don't feel the same uncertainty towards its future like I currently do with Hitman, and it isn't dead like LOK is.

But yeah, I remember those failed sales projections, and I was particularly pissed about everything that happened with Hitman Absolution. Despite all the problems it had, it sold *really* well, but was still deemed a failure.

Frankly, for all the mixed messaging HITMAN had in its marketing from reveal to release, I'm surprised it recovered as well as it did. I half expected it to bomb and for us to only ever get the first few episodes and get hosed on the rest.

True, true.

I knock out every person whose outfit I need and gently set them aside. And the game rewards me for doing so.

LKSmash

They don't get the Hitman IP so they'd be free to create something new so it would likely be a good move for MS.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
That is not the point, the guy is tasked to kill a target. How you do it is up to the player. Rank is not story.

The gameplay systems support the narrative though. That's one of the reasons it is such a good game. 47 is described as being a near-myth rather than a mad-dog for a reason.

The rank is just to give people a shot at picking up points on leaderboards. Nothing more.

There wasn't a leaderboard in C:47, H2:SA, Contracts or Blood Money.

LordAmused

Maybe Paradox Interactive, should they be looking for a way into the console market, might want to take a look at IO.

Would be a big asset for the future, and they both are pretty close in terms of culture and geographically.

I can't play Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back because I won't support a game that's main purpose is body slamming polar bear cubs over and over.

Crash is canonically a violent endangered-animal killer.

Foffy

Banned
They don't get the Hitman IP so they'd be free to create something new so it would likely be a good move for MS.

They are currently making an action game using UE4, as well as aiming to get staff to work on their Glacier 2 engine for multiplayer systems.

Presumably, this means two non-Hitman projects, assuming this disconnection killed IO's involvement with the IP...

Blizzard/Activison could buy them.

Just imagine killing your target and having a confetti of loot spilling out. Everyone will also love opening ICA loot crates. Collecting a variety of different skins for 47.

assassinate me now

Akronis

I can't help but laugh at the hypocrisy.

mike6467

They finally get Hitman right. They finally got Hitman right, and they get sold off? Jesus fuck.

IO should make a Hitman clone with a female lead.

Call it Hitwoman...or something. God damnit I loved that gameplay and I was all set for more.

Edit: Reading this thread is depressing. IT ISN'T FAIR.

Kill3r7

Blizzard/Activison could buy them.

Just imagine killing your target and having a confetti of loot spilling out. Everyone will also love opening ICA loot crates. Collecting a variety of different skins for 47.

assassinate me now

Activision could buy just about anyone but unless your game is going to sell a shit ton of copies, they are not interested.

gafneo

Banned
The gameplay systems support the narrative though. That's one of the reasons it is such a good game. 47 is described as being a near-myth rather than a mad-dog for a reason.

There wasn't a leaderboard in C:47, H2:SA, Contracts or Blood Money.
He's a myth for being stealth. That doesn't exclude brutality or cover ups. And you are really going to point things out like early games not having leaderboards? How simple must I generalize things to get a point across? You take on the role as a killer. It's a murder sim. Man Hunt, also a murder sim. It teaches you how to kill and to be good at it. It gives player choice to be the kind of killer they decide to be. That's called role play. And no it's not an RPG by gaming standards of definition.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed

So they can rename the studio Brute Games and have them make nothing but Brute Force games for the next two decades? No thanks.

Mandoric

Banned
Also, I'm just gonna say, while he's being deliberately obtuse a lot of you are also being deliberately obtuse pretending that anyone cares about high scores in 20-fucking-17. People play games wrong willfully and gleefully, probably more than they play them right, because the console SP gaming market is there for power fantasies at this point. A good Hitman that makes you play studiously bombing the fuck out is just proof that it's not what most of the people who played Hitman actually wanted.

gafneo

Banned
It's not because I don't agree with you, champ.
I'm defending my argument where others are telling me I am wrong. I'm not going to tell them how to play. I am telling them that the game is shock value and that's what it sells on. What is the hypocrisy there?

Akronis

I'm defending my argument where others are telling me I am wrong. I'm not going to tell them how to play. I am telling them that the game is shock value and that's what it sells on. What is the hypocrisy there?

I guess I'll explain it then.

You calling people that you disagree with as having a "void of understanding" is hilariously hypocritical as you followed up another post with "disagree, that's your problem for failing to see anyone else's pov than your own."

Do you not see how that's hypocritical? Really?

gafneo

Banned
I guess I'll explain it then.

You calling people that you disagree with as having a "void of understanding" is hilariously hypocritical as you followed up another post with "disagree, that's your problem for failing to see anyone else's pov than your own."

Do you not see how that's hypocritical? Really?
No let me put it simple. I don't disagree, I see others perspectives. I'm explaining an alternative to that perspective that they refuse to understand.

Ratros

Square Enix looks like on track for going full mobile by the next decade.

They could make mobile games that's 100x cheaper than AAA while making 10x more revenue.

They could never achieve that without the IPs (Final Fantasy etc.) they developed in the past decades.

Akronis

No let me put it simple. I don't disagree, I see others perspectives. I'm explaining an alternative to that perspective that they refuse to understand.

No, I just think your incredibly reductionist viewpoint is painting an incredibly general picture.

Your condescending attitude isn't warranted in the thread either.

Top Bottom